What would beating Pats mean to Jets' Todd Bowles? 'It just means we're 5-1'

Gas2No99

What would beating Pats mean to Jets' Todd Bowles? 'It just means we're 5-1'

Colin Stephenson

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Patriots Week has a much different feel in the New York Jets locker room with Todd Bowles as the coach, as opposed to the departed Rex Ryan.

Whereas Ryan, now filling reporters' notebooks in Buffalo, couldn't help but say stuff to hype games against the New England Patriots, Bowles would have everyone believe that playing New England was the same as playing against Tennessee.

Asked what a victory over their archrivals Sunday would mean for the Jets, Bowles deadpanned: "It just means we're 5-1 and we gotta get ready for Oakland."

The players are on board with that approach.

"I think it's a different approach for us this time around and that's how we have to follow behind Coach Bowles," cornerback Darrelle Revis said with a laugh. "Rex, he has his way of doing things in the past, and now it's different. This is how we approach it.

"We're not saying we're backing down or anything. It's how we approach it. We know it's a long season. The first quarter of the season we did pretty well, and the second quarter of the season, we'll see how it goes."

Calvin Pace says key for Jets will be putting pressure on Tom Brady

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace has been around a while, and the 13-year veteran has played in his share of Jets-Patriots games, which he said are usually pretty wild.

"It's crazy, because the game, no matter who they have, it always comes down to the end," Pace said Wednesday. "So it's just about making those plays. It seems like they always get the ball before half; it seems like they always get the ball before the end of the game, no matter how things go, so it's just -- we gotta be on the winning side, and get off the field some type of way. Sometimes you gotta withstand a punch and just keep on fighting."

Pace said the Jets have enough talent in their secondary to match up with the Patriots' stable of receivers. The key, he said, would be to make sure the front seven gets pressure on Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

"We can't give him all day to throw," Pace said. "We can't make it 7-on-7 for him. I like our chances, man. We've got some guys that can go. We've just got to get there."

Pace was asked if he notices Brady slowing down at all.

"Nah, man. He's ageless," Pace said. "From the day I got here until now, he's still doing it, still putting the ball on the money. The thing I respect about him is, no matter who's out there, he can find the open guy and put the ball on the money. So there's a reason he'll be in the Hall of Fame someday."

As a former supporter of Rex Ryan, this is where a guy like Bowles makes a HUGE difference for this franchise and we're better for it.  He's not making this bigger than he needs to, he's not making this about him and their coach, there is no talk about what we are going to do or how we're going to do it, it's nothing more than just another game...as it should be.  The focus is on the preparation for their next opponent, not the impact of the game or who their opponent is.  Instead of showing the rest of the league the Jets are for real, or proving some stupid point that nobody else cares about, or being some tough guy, or this that and the other...its just another game.

It would be a big step towards winning the division.

Of course it would. But that's not the expectations right now. The goal right now is to get in the playoffs. If we beat NE, then the goal is to win the division. 

Honestly, the Mets being in the World Series and the lack of histrionics has shadowed this game, which I think is for the better

Of course it would. But that's not the expectations right now. The goal right now is to get in the playoffs. If we beat NE, then the goal is to win the division. 

Honestly, the Mets being in the World Series and the lack of histrionics has shadowed this game, which I think is for the better

I think the goal has to be to win the division not just make the playoffs. Just aiming for the playoffs is self-defeating.

As a former supporter of Rex Ryan, this is where a guy like Bowles makes a HUGE difference for this franchise and we're better for it.  He's not making this bigger than he needs to, he's not making this about him and their coach, there is no talk about what we are going to do or how we're going to do it, it's nothing more than just another game...as it should be.  The focus is on the preparation for their next opponent, not the impact of the game or who their opponent is.  Instead of showing the rest of the league the Jets are for real, or proving some stupid point that nobody else cares about, or being some tough guy, or this that and the other...its just another game.

I agree 100% with all of the sentiments in your post.

What I am surprised at is that more posters don't see this or they are saying that Bowles is "lying". Bowles isn't lying, he is just a different coach with a different approach and its what the Jets need now.

What I am surprised at is that more posters don't see this or they are saying that Bowles is "lying". Bowles isn't lying, he is just a different coach with a different approach and its what the Jets need now.

The only HC that hates press conferences more then Bowles is BB..LOL  

I think his approach is spot on.  As I get to see Rex and his antics from a far, it's easy to see that you need a guy like Bowles who is cool calm and collected as opposed to the loud, braggadocios guy who makes it all about themselves.  Hard for me to admit, but its true.  

I think we got the right guy.

I think his approach is spot on.  As I get to see Rex and his antics from a far, it's easy to see that you need a guy like Bowles who is cool calm and collected as opposed to the loud, braggadocios guy who makes it all about themselves.  Hard for me to admit, but its true.  

I here you!!!

And Rex is fine IMO as far as when he talks and all, but the key to that is you have to WIN and have to have highly competitive teams which we just didn't have his last few years here.......

Read that Bowles went after the team hard at halftime of the Skins game. He's calm cool and collected on the outside.  When among his players he has a very sharp edge.  

Rex felt the need to act tough...Bowles just does it.  Seems like he doesn't need the validation from anyone.  

When I was watching Bowles press conference the other day and he said that, I thought about what little attention he gives the Patriots and Belichick.  Then I thought that must piss Belichick off because deep down he probably loves the attention he got from Rex.

its not the superbowl ?

Seeing how professional Bowles is taking this game only shows why this game was always the "superbowl" to Rex. He probably never expected to get to the real one. Bowles has his eye on the prize and he's not letting noise and individual games get in the way. 

Im so glad we didnt wait for Dan Quinn. 

When I was watching Bowles press conference the other day and he said that, I thought about what little attention he gives the Patriots and Belichick.  Then I thought that must piss Belichick off because deep down he probably loves the attention he got from Rex.

Yea I am sure that it does chap Bellichick's hide some, treating the cheating defending SB champions as just another game not out of fear or low expectations but just because the Jets are about handling their own business, game by game.... I say Good.. :)

And I think that Bowles has a dual strategy.  I think he really knows that it counts as one game but he also, I am sure, has prepared for this game already a long time ago perhaps even in the preseason.

Think that there were clips of Bowles on the sideline of a game saying that you have to think THREE plays ahead in the game, THREE plays and with that as background  information you know he wants to win badly over the Pats.

So he gets to see first hand how far he has got his team along his master plan.....

Let's Go get Em........

Can't Wait!!!!

Seeing how professional Bowles is taking this game only shows why this game was always the "superbowl" to Rex. He probably never expected to get to the real one. Bowles has his eye on the prize and he's not letting noise and individual games get in the way. 

Im so glad we didnt wait for Dan Quinn. 

this approach really helps avoid the letdown for the week after as well. 

this approach really helps avoid the letdown for the week after as well. 

Yup, because those type of losses after talking sh*t all week (which was usually the case) ends up being the catalyst for the rest of the season. 

The jets will be okay win or lose. At the end of the day Bowles reminds me of a guy who intends on winning every game he's supposed to win while taking a few that he shouldnt. Sunday is one of those "shouldnt" games. Wont be surprised at all if the Jets spoil the party. 

Yup, because those type of losses after talking sh*t all week (which was usually the case) ends up being the catalyst for the rest of the season. 

The jets will be okay win or lose. At the end of the day Bowles reminds me of a guy who intends on winning every game he's supposed to win while taking a few that he shouldnt. Sunday is one of those "shouldnt" games. Wont be surprised at all if the Jets spoil the party. 

well said.  NFL network is starting to buy in on the jets, it looks like they have a piece coming with kurt warner showing how the jets may win primarily because we have revis.  I am trying to keep it cool, but I may not sleep a lot saturday night, lol

well said.  NFL network is starting to buy in on the jets, it looks like they have a piece coming with kurt warner showing how the jets may win primarily because we have revis.  I am trying to keep it cool, but I may not sleep a lot saturday night, lol

I havent watched sports news this week. I usually watch NFL Network online to get info throughout the week but I thought that I would hear nothing but Jets bashing so I havent tuned in at all. 

So the jets ARE getting some love. I just might tune in then. 

Archived