Wheel Route Weakness

Be_a_Jet

So Im sure most of you have noticed that the jets have been especially vulnerable to big plays when defending RBs on the wheel route. Our LBs just aren't quick enough to cover. Fortunately the quarterbacks we've played so far weren't good enough to consistently hit their RBs on this play but Dion Lewis and Brady will probably have this perfected come sunday. 

Question is...how can we stop it considering its not a matter of our LBs not recognizing to go into coverage but more so a lack of speed. 

We have plenty to worry about between covering Gronk, and the little shi*t edelman but this is one of those weaknesses that i think will be with us all season so just wanted to see what you fellas were thinkin 

My guess would be Bowles rushes 4 with 6 or 7 DB's when Lewis is on the field and goes more traditional when Blount is in.  Based on injuries to the Pats OL and Brady's lack of mobility he probably thinks he can get decent pressure without blitzing and then use faster DBs to stay with Lewis.  I trust Bowles and he knows Harris and Davis were torched in the Eagles game. 

This defense has no weakness, so offenses have to try to attack the few spots where they have the highest chance of success.  Mismatching Demario Davis against a speedy running back is one of them, and sweep running plays to the outside have been another.  Other than that, not much.

My guess would be Bowles rushes 4 with 6 or 7 DB's when Lewis is on the field and goes more traditional when Blount is in.  Based on injuries to the Pats OL and Brady's lack of mobility he probably thinks he can get decent pressure without blitzing and then use faster DBs to stay with Lewis.  I trust Bowles and he knows Harris and Davis were torched in the Eagles game. 

Thats a good point. Their depleted OL should give us some degree of freedom with how many we rush. Hopefully we can still get some heat on Brady without blitzes. 

The Eagles killed us with it.  The Redskins tried to copy the Philly blueprint, but I thought the D adjusted relatively well.  

I think a well executed wheel route is tough to stop for any defense and I'm concerned about Dion Lewis getting loose Sunday.  But honestly I'm more concerned about Skrine being ready to go to cover Edelman in the slot.  And as always Cromartie playing 15 yards off his man...  

An extra safety could take care of it. We could use Pryor as more of a LB/S hybrid and read the RB out of the backfield. DD said Bowles reminded him of that play happening out of a specific formation during the week and he jumped the flat. Lets see if we put the right players in position and if they do as they are told. Skrine is huge for this gameplay as well.

An extra safety could take care of it. We could use Pryor as more of a LB/S hybrid and read the RB out of the backfield. DD said Bowles reminded him of that play happening out of a specific formation during the week and he jumped the flat. Lets see if we put the right players in position and if they do as they are told. Skrine is huge for this gameplay as well.

I think Bailey would be perfect for this in nickel. He's basically a safety/LB hybrid but at 220 more safety than LB. He's gotta be faster than Davis & Harris at that weight. Damn! Bowles really does have a plethora of choices. Plus he's got Milliner coming back & McDougle still learning, this defense sans injuries could be f*cking amazing in the 2nd half of this season when they really start settling in to Bowles schemes & are just running around & hitting. 

As much as some might find this blasphemous, in today's NFL it is impossible to shut down everything. This isn't a weakness, so much as something that worked a couple times... something was bound to eventually work, too much of the league is geared towards handicapping defenses.

We need to cut off the head of the snake. If we keep Brady running, don't allow him to climb the pocket, and force him to find receivers that were bumped off their spot... then we'll find success. The "wheel route" specifically isn't our kyptonite... those plays get blown up in the zebras calling holds appropriately against that Philly OL. 

Unless NE just traded for Darren Sproles I am not too worried. Lewis is OK but come on.

Lewis already has 26 catches for 256 yards in 5 games. Sproles only has 17 for 131 in 6 games. This isn't 2008. Lewis is far better than Sproles out of the backfield these days. Plus Lewis has Brady throwing to him. This is a real concern. Hopefully Lewis' injury will slow him down a little and the Bowles adjusts his defense to be better prepared for the wheel routes that have been killing us/Demario. 

Lewis already has 26 catches for 256 yards in 5 games. Sproles only has 17 for 131 in 6 games. This isn't 2008. Lewis is far better than Sproles out of the backfield these days. Plus Lewis has Brady throwing to him. This is a real concern. Hopefully Lewis' injury will slow him down a little and the Bowles adjusts his defense to be better prepared for the wheel routes that have been killing us/Demario. 

yes, because Bowles and Rodgers doesn't know this is coming.  I am sure our defense will be 100% shocked when the Pats try to execute this play and caught on their heals...because the Redskins tried this play 3 times last week and were 0-3...so I guess it will be a shock when the pats try the same play that hit once for the Eagles (and they missed the next 2 times they tried it also...but the receivers were wide open).  Guys...relax.

I am most worried about Gronk. Period. 

He is probably the most dominating force in the NFL. Before everyone jumps on me, he is the reason that Edelman and Amendola get their easy looks. The Stats show that Brady is OK w/o Gronk but is outstanding with Gronk. He opens up their run game and their passing game for the small quick receivers. 

I am most worried about Gronk. Period. 

He is probably the most dominating force in the NFL. Before everyone jumps on me, he is the reason that Edelman and Amendola get their easy looks. The Stats show that Brady is OK w/o Gronk but is outstanding with Gronk. He opens up their run game and their passing game for the small quick receivers. 

I agree. Gronk is the engine that makes that team go. Without him that offense becomes pedestrian very quickly.

Easy solution: line up in nickel with 4 man fronts most of the game.

we don't need 3 or 4 linebackers on the field our D-line is that good

completely agree.  We are stacked at corner.  Revis, Cro, Skrine and Marcus Williams (with Gilcrest and Pryor)...Sure, they may rip off a few 15 yard running plays, but who cares.

completely agree.  We are stacked at corner.  Revis, Cro, Skrine and Marcus Williams (with Gilcrest and Pryor)...Sure, they may rip off a few 15 yard running plays, but who cares.

The good thing is that all of those guys (with the exception of Cro) are good tacklers and willing to stick their nose in there and fight off blockers.  Skrine and Williams are undersized but very tough.

So I've seen this come up several times this week and I'm not sure it hasn't already been fixed.  Philly torched us with it but we all know now that Bowles knew that going into the week and tried to get players to understand like Demario Davis but he didn't take the words of wisdom so serious.  Then weeks later we play Washington who did their homework and tried to attack us with the wheel route but we actually did defend it pretty well.  Now Dion Lewis is definitely better than what Washington has so we'll just have to see how we defend him but I'm not as worried about it being as big of a weakness as it was when Philly exploited it.

Archived