What will this game tell us?

UnitedWhofans

The more I think about it, the less this game means in telling me anything significantly negative about this team.

If they win the game, it's a great boon to us and our team.

If they lose, it tells me New England is better, which I already knew going into this game. Same if Fitzpatrick struggles.

The Jets won 4 games last year;  it is unrealistic to think that they can win the division this year, so to hold them to that expectation is dumb.

So this game to me is more about the fans confidence than any substantial

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, do the two posts above imply winning a game against the Pats in Foxboro means nothing?  Sounds like you havent watched football the last 12 years.  

It doesn't guarantee anything but the entire NFL would take notice and concerns on if this team is real would go away.

It would confirm this team can beat any team any place...I guess that means nothing to some fans, but would be the first time I've felt that way about a jets team...maybe ever...

A win here puts the Jets as a current super bowl contender half way through the season...when was the last time you could say that?  I, for one, think that means something...

This game will tell us HOW SCARY our DLINE SHOULD be against the Pats moving their Starting RT Volmer to LT because Cannon is now OUT for Sunday and they will start Cameron Fleming at RT. 

Wilk should DESTROY that RT.

The more I think about it, the less this game means in telling me anything significantly negative about this team.

If they lose, it tells me New England is better, which I already knew going into this game. Same if Fitzpatrick struggles.

The Jets won 4 games last year;  it is unrealistic to think that they can win the division this year, so to hold them to that expectation is dumb.

The only thing I think this will tell us is how good of a chess player Bowles is as a rookie HC.  This is his first real challenge against another HC that knows how to make adjustments on the fly.  Very excited to see how Bowles performs.  Now if he makes mistakes or we lose that doesn't mean he is bad in any way, it will be a learning experience for him as well.  I hope to see Bowles pulling refs to the side if the refs start to get all Patsy happy and start ******* with calls like a vet coach would do.

Can't wait for the halftime adjustments by both teams.  Going to be one hell of a game on Sunday.

Hmmmm, do the two posts above imply winning a game against the Pats in Foxboro means nothing?  Sounds like you havent watched football the last 12 years.  

It doesn't guarantee anything but the entire NFL would take notice and concerns on if this team is real would go away.

It would confirm this team can beat any team any place...I guess that means nothing to some fans, but would be the first time I've felt that way about a jets team...maybe ever...

A win here puts the Jets as a current super bowl contender half way through the season...when was the last time you could say that?  I, for one, think that means something...

I agree with this. I get the idea of trying to normalize this game and I think that it's good not to get too high or too low with respect to the outcomes, but come on. This is the Pats IN Foxboro. If we beat them there not only are we 2-0 in the division and in 1st place. We beat the Superbowl champs and the dominating force in our division and the AFC for the past forever. Top that with the fact that we would be undefeated in the AFC as well.

The confidence it would give to an essentially new team would be an extremely solid building block. This is a big game. Not the end all of course, but it's big guys. Let's not get it twisted here.

We win this and we go in to Oakland with hair on our balls and kick the sh*t out of the Raiders for sure.

I thought the Colts game was the one, but I think this will surpass that game. Patriots/Jets is a much better rivalry than Patriots/Colts IMO.

Over the last decade, the Colts have played you guys more evenly. To their credit, they've upheld their end of the rivalry better. 

Of course, the Pats fan defers to the "rivalry" where they've been challenged less. If you were to ask any Patriot player or coach they'd tell you that the Colts are a rival, and the Jets are just a team they don't like. Until the Jets beat the Patriots more regularly, it's not really a rivalry.

You wear your insecurity like a neon sign.

I look at it it like this. Jets/Patriots was THE rivalry for a long time, since Parcells headed to NY and then installed BB as coach when he wanted out, then BB quit after a day. Patriots/Colts *with* Manning was a great rivalry, but the hatred for me wasn't there as it is with the Jets. With Manning gone, and with the Patriots having their way with the Colts, I would argue the last several years, Patriots/Jets was still the better rivalry. What fun is it murdering the same team year in and year out?

They are inherently rivals because we're in the same division.

Do you realize that over the last 6 years, we were only truly successful against the Patriots in Rex's first 2 years. Otherwise, Bill owned Rex. It wasn't a rivalry on the field, maybe in the headlines with Rex running his mouth constantly.

Either way, it's subjective and doesn't matter. 

Well, Rex was undefeated in press conferences as you must know!

we also know we don't give a flying **** about Rex now ... I have moved on as have many Jets fans . Right now we have the best defense and you have the best offense defense usually wins those battles but mistakes and turnovers happen and can effect either team.

Biggest difference between the two teams from years past is we now have a pretty successful offense as well, basically scoring 100 percent of the time in the red zone so now the Pats are going to have to deal with something new while the Jets will be dealing with the same thing they have been dealing with for years . The Pats have been in the same system for a long time and they execute it to perfection not many teams can say that and IMO that's the biggest obstacle any team faces when playing the Pats .I don't think it comes down to talent as much as the execution. I think the Jets now have the talent on Defense and a HC/DC who can scheme well and adjust at halftime to make things difficult for the Pats and that is going to be the difference in this game.

You can't have confidence if your not stacking wins. Bowles talks about stacking wins. You don't stack wins without 100% effort in each game thus Bowles comment that this game is just "the next game".

A win this Sunday in Gillette would be HUGE because it tells everyone that the Jets are for real & they have arrived a lot quicker as Super Bowl contenders @ 5-1 & leading the division than anyone could have imagined.

Look at the AFC. Denvers D is for real but with our secondary & Mannings weak azz arm & zero mobility especially late in the season if we met in the playoffs Jets would probably be favored. 

Steelers Oline is a weak link vs our Dline plus we have Revis to X out Brown and make it tougher Bryant or Miller to hurt us.

Bengals? Probably the most balanced team but I still love our defense to shake Dalton up a little.

Jets would be very confident (not cocky) when Pats come to Metlife with the formula to beat them again & put some doubt in the Pats minds for once. Pats are a finished product, Super Bowl champs, how much better can you get when your offense is #1 with only 3 turnovers to date. You don't think that protects their defense?

Our NY Jets are a 1st year work in progress with a new coach, new OC & DC, new QB, WR, new schemes, completely rebuilt secondary. This team can get a LOT BETTER. They still are working guys like McDougle, Ridley, Milliner & Owusu into the system.

This game Sunday if they win speeds up their arrival. I don't know about you guys but if we can take down the Pats, I'm gonna start thinking WHY NOT US? A lot earlier then I thought. We would have a schedule that includes playing Carr, Mariotta, Hoyer, (Taylor/Manuel), Pats, Fins, Bills, Giants, AT HOME (yes, I know technically Giants are at home but talk about being in your comfort zone for an away game).

Jets win tomorrow they will be considered serious contenders to win the AFC East. I'd say that's pretty significant. If they lose, they just have to keep stacking wins until they get Pats at home. Either way it's gonna be a fun year for Jets fans.

I thought the Colts game was the one, but I think this will surpass that game. Patriots/Jets is a much better rivalry than Patriots/Colts IMO.

Of course it is. It's division on top of all the BS that's gone on back and forth between the two teams.

I mean there is the fact that both the Colts and Jets caught the Pats cheating so there's that, but Jets/Pats is a big deal every year.

LOL it must get tiring to have to keep telling people Patriots cheat, but since nobody is listening, Patriots keep collecting Lombardi trophies. That must be the hard part.

yep, and Barry bonds has the home run title, but no one takes that seriously either...much like your trophies with the asterisk engraved on them.

I hate to tell you, but the "asterisk" is in your head, not mine. Name one SB in the history of the NFL that was played/officiated more fairly and closely than last year? I'll save you the trouble, you can't. Balls were 12.5 PSI, no team cameras were allowed to film the sidelines, headphones worked perfectly, etc.

I'm sure Barry Bonds would say the same thing.

I hate to tell you, but the "asterisk" is in your head, not mine. Name one SB in the history of the NFL that was played/officiated more fairly and closely than last year? I'll save you the trouble, you can't. Balls were 12.5 PSI, no team cameras were allowed to film the sidelines, headphones worked perfectly, etc.

except for the pesky point that it was the Pats cheating got them to this squeaky clean officiated Super Bowl.  In your mind that they carefully checked the psi of footballs is important.  That they were forced to because it became public knowledge that the pats were cheating is irrelevant.  Nice to be a foolish Pats fans

LOL it must get tiring to have to keep telling people Patriots cheat, but since nobody is listening, Patriots keep collecting Lombardi trophies. That must be the hard part.

LOL You're listening.

I'm sure it's significantly more tiring having to defend yourself from all of the accusations of cheating than it is for me to mention it when Pats fan trolls come on the Jets board pretending to want to have a "conversation".

Im not too sure about that. If I go level by level I think the Jets are the better team. 

Offensive line: Jets

QB: Pats

Defensive line: Jets

Running Backs: Jets

Linebackers: Pats

Cornerbacks: Jets

Safeties: Jets (Gilchrist/Pryor are having a better season than McCourty/Chung at this point)

Defensive Depth: Jets

Offensive Depth: Jets

Specials: Pats

Wide Receivers: Jets

Tight Ends: Pats

The Jets are a more complete team, The Pats have the best player at the most coveted position and one of the best mismatch nightmares in Gronk. 

If Brady plays a perfect game they WILL win. If the Jets make mental mistakes they can lose. However, If the Jets can contain Gronk, not get burned by the passing game out of the backfield, and put pressure on Brady then the Jets have a legit chance. 

That 4-12 team of last year is not this team. The Jets have much more talent on this team and better coaches to execute, but the Pats have the two of the deadliest talents in the NFL in Gronk/Brady. If we can contain them we will win this game. 

Im not too sure about that. If I go level by level I think the Jets are the better team. 

Offensive line: Jets

QB: Pats

Defensive line: Jets

Running Backs: Jets

Linebackers: Pats

Cornerbacks: Jets

Safeties: Jets (Gilchrist/Pryor are having a better season than McCourty/Chung at this point)

Defensive Depth: Jets

Offensive Depth: Jets

Specials: Pats

Wide Receivers: Jets

Tight Ends: Pats

The Jets are a more complete team, The Pats have the best player at the most coveted position. 

If Brady plays a perfect game they could win. If the Jets make mental mistakes they can lose. However, If the Jets can contain Gronk and not get burned by the passing game out of the backfield then the Jets have a legit chance. 

That 4-12 team of last year is not this team. Te Jets have much more talent on this team but the Pats have the two of the deadliest talents in the NFL in Gronk/Brady. If we can contain them we can win this game. 

Pats have the GOAT at QB

Pats have GOAT at head coach

Pats have the best TE in football

Pats have the best PK in football

Jets have Best DLine in football

Jets have two studs at WR

Jets have as great secondary including Revis who's is in the top three at CB

Jets have a very good RB in Ivory

Jets have a good OL

those first three for the Pats are deadly

our DLine should eat there OLine

except for the pesky point that it was the Pats cheating got them to this squeaky clean officiated Super Bowl.  In your mind that they carefully checked the psi of footballs is important.  That they were forced to because it became public knowledge that the pats were cheating is irrelevant.  Nice to be a foolish Pats fans

Yes Patriots are foolish. When will they learn that cheating should yield a benefit...

LOL You're listening.

I'm sure it's significantly more tiring having to defend yourself from all of the accusations of cheating than it is for me to mention it when Pats fan trolls come on the Jets board pretending to want to have a "conversation".

I'm hearing it, but I'm not listening to it. There is a difference. As for conversation, when I've found an actual conversation, I've given my two cents. But with all the silliness going on here, it's hard to keep it all about the game when so much nonsense is being bandied about.

Pats have the GOAT at QB

Pats have GOAT at head coach

Pats have the best TE in football

Pats have the best PK in football

Jets have Best DLine in football

Jets have two studs at WR

Jets have as great secondary including Revis who's is in the top three at CB

Jets have a very good RB in Ivory

Jets have a good OL

those first three for the Pats are deadly

our DLine should eat there OLine

Funny thing if you look at the last 4 Jet Pat matchups the Jets lead in TOP,first downs,rushing yards and Geno has more passing yardage then Brady..And Gronk has just 1 td but he only played in 3 of the 4 games.. And those were bad Jet teams with as some fans say a clown HC.. Now with the addition of Marshall, Revis ,Cro,Gilchrist and Skrine and a brilliant HC in Bowles I feel sorry for the poor Pats and Tommy boy..LOL

Patriots are 10-3 against the Jets in last 10 years at home. Two of the three losses were by 3 points, the other by 7. For the most part, the wins are all within one score. Turnovers will probably decide this game. If either team has no turnovers, their chances of winning get bumped up about 30% IMO.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-england-patriots/teamvsteam?opp=22&ha=H

Archived