Jets Sign P Steve Weatherford

Ghost

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about f*****g time we brought him back into the fold.  Never understood why Westcoff didn't like him.  I know he was off his game in post season play but none the less I thought he was a keeper.

He used to take off running instead of punting and sometimes he made the 1st down..

He used to take off running instead of punting and sometimes he made the 1st down..

Well that was during the Rex Ryan regime.  You know, where the wildcat and such nonsense was always on the table.  Weatherford had permission to run it if he thought the situation was right.  I'm sure he'll have no such permission while playing for Bowles.       

Well that was during the Rex Ryan regime.  You know, where the wildcat and such nonsense was always on the table.  Weatherford had permission to run it if he thought the situation was right.  I'm sure he'll have no such permission while playing for Bowles.       

Now Rex was running the Special teams?? I'm going by what Westoff said on SNY but maybe he's wrong and your right..:)

The guy almost made the first down on a 3rd and 45.

He's always a threat to run so punt teams can't be as aggressive.

He'll probably get us a few first downs as well over the course of the year.

the numbers

weatherford     punt avg                 punt net             inside 20%              touchback %

career               44.5                       39.5                   31%                        9%

2014                 45.5                       38.6                   31%                         7.5%

quigley           punt avg                   punt net             inside 20%            touchback %

career             45.3                         39.9                   31%                      7.6%

2014                45.9                         39.9                  29.5%                    11.5%

I will try to find inside the 10 or inside the 5 numbers but they basically seem like the same guy, lol                    

Life changes fast in the NFL. Punter Steve Weatherford was co-hosting a radio show Saturday on ESPN New York 98.7 when he received a job offer from the Jets. The call came around 11:30 a.m. He spoke to GM Mike Maccagnan during a commercial break and now he's on his way to Foxborough to replace the injured Ryan Quigley.

cut quigley I would assume.  if not, if owusu is healthy maybe kenbrell thompkins

Owusu was probable. I thought Thompkins might be cut for Ridley with Powell out of commission this week. It's crazy the depth they have and the players they'll have to cut the next couple of weeks when Miliner is back as well. 

Owusu was probable. I thought Thompkins might be cut for Ridley with Powell out of commission this week. It's crazy the depth they have and the players they'll have to cut the next couple of weeks when Miliner is back as well. 

Hoping with this depth instead of cutting, Macc can get a little sneaky and grab a few late round draft picks in the trades.

Westhoff has said repeatedly Weatherford didn't punt directionally enough for his taste and he believed it cost yards on his net yards on punts. Also fair to say Weatherford for a punter tends to run his mouth a bit more than even as out front  a CS as Rex Ryan's might like. Quigley though is little better and mostly a lot worse on net yards. Good move. 

After all this elation, that punk Edelman better not return a punt for a TD. I hate the fact the dude hasn't even practiced with us. I mean has he been practicing on his own, staying in shape? I don't know sh*t about punters can they just put the cookie & beers down, turn off the TV, show up to the bus & punt in a big game,lol.

Archived