Fitz Just Not Good Enough

JohnnyLV

the fumble on the play cost us 3 points and a valuable possession, idk what you're talking about unless you're trying to give fitz a free pass for poor play

Sometimes its just the bounce of the ball.   Fitz gets stripped and NE bats the ball back toward the dline and they recover.   Brady gets stripped and the ball bounced right back to him.  To use that fumble as a reason Fitz cost the Jets this game his ridiculous.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure geno's mom can throw a ball 20 yards at least

Exactly how many times did Brady throw the ball over 20 yards ? The answer is not many, yet it was good enough for the Pats to win. We do not need to throw the ball deep to win in this league nobody does. If you think this league revolves around the deep pass you have no idea what you're talking about to be honest.

The reason the Jets lost this game has been well documented on this forum yet people choose to blame Fitz because they simply don't know any better and don't understand the game of football.

This was a poorly coached game By the Jets in all aspects Offense and Defense

You cant win a close game when you can't stop a 3rd and 17 in the 4th quarter

You can't win a game when you drop sure TD passes

You can't win a game when you have zero pass rush

You can't win a game when you play 10 yards off 5 11" slow WR's and allow them to beat you underneath

You can't win a game when you allow their most dangerous player on offense run wide open .

bowles addressed this in his postgame comments:

The Jets did that rather than try a Hail Mary for the 49 because Fitzpatrick "wouldn't have [thrown] it that far had we stayed where we were"—an acknowledgement of Fitzpatrick's limited ability to throw deep.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/brandon_marshall_takes_blame_for_2_huge_mistakes_i.html

Everybody knows this ..

First of all, let me say that Fitz played very well today. His competitiveness is infectious and he is leaving nothing out on the field he is using every little bit of talent he has. His teammates love him and respond to him. he is smart, well controlled and he deserves kudos for the effort he put in today. He did everything he could. Looking at his record against NE maybe one of his best efforts.

But his best is just not good enough to get this team where it needs to go.

He is just too limited. In a lot of ways it is very similar to the situation the 49ers had. Alex Smith was the ultimate game manager. He did not turn the ball over. He was smart, fairly accurate and a much better runner than Fitz. But he could not get the 49ers where they needed to go and went to Kapernick (who is now failing for completely different reasons)

Put frankly, Fitz is not dynamic enough for the opposition to really need to account for him. Not only can he not open up the game downfield. he is not really able to consistently press it in the mid range either. On drives, since all he can do is controlled offense, he has to essentially play perfect, converting lots of 3rd downs and having long multi play scores. Quick strikes are off the table with Fitz as is the play action for the most part. 

He is incapable of letting his offense dictate to the opposing defense. He is forced to take what they give him. As we say today. if they stack the box and double Marshall, he has very little and is not capable of making the plays needed to get the opposition out of that by stretching the field, or being effective with play action.

What this means is we have very limited ways to win a game. Essentially we have to have the defense play lights out. get turnovers and use field position to make scores. This is the only way Fitz will win.

Fitz will not:

WRONG....We lost today because Decker didnt turn around for the back shoulder and Brandon dropped a perfect pass in the end zone...You don't beat the Pats with field goals...FITZY PLAYED GREAT AND DESERVED TO WIN...END OF STORY

1. Comeback when we are behind. He literally has zero fourth quarter comebacks since 2012. Zero

2. Consistently run a two minute offense. We did not even TRY today

3. Consistently run a four minute offense

4. Give us quick scores

5. Be effective with play action

6.Dictate to an opposing defense

No, Fitz is essentially a less talented Alex Smith and Alex Smith does not win you game either.

It is just not good enough. Great guy, great teammate. Great mentor, Just not good enough for this team to win.

Today showed that.

people that blame Fitz for this loss have an alternate agenda ... He played very well yesterday .. and so far he has shown a nice even keeled, non rattled temperament perfect for the Jets right now. He has shown better and better decision making every week

people that blame fix for this loss have an alternate agenda ... m

You inadvertently said something more correct than what you intended:

I blame the fix. I watched NE's backup OL get called for holding exactly 1 time in over 50 dropbacks against our DL, I wasn't keeping a running count but there had to be no less than 30 of his dropbacks where they were holding (and many/most of them blatant and not ticky-tacky). The fix was in: do not call NE on their backup OL holding. Or if you do, then don't call it again for a long time (if ever again at all). Belichick knows this is how they're going to call the game, and he has told his OL to keep holding because he knows they won't throw a flag more than once in a great while (i.e. he knows they'll get away with it >95% of the time). Other teams - including the Jets - surely get away with a few here or there, but not literally dozens of times in a game like yesterday.

This fix - even in unintentional - made the whole game stupid. 

WRONG....We lost today because Decker didnt turn around for the back shoulder and Brandon dropped a perfect pass in the end zone...You don't beat the Pats with field goals...FITZY PLAYED GREAT AND DESERVED TO WIN...END OF STORY

Those who win deserve to win. Naked arguments of "deserve" and "fairness" are garbage throwaways.

Those who win deserve to win. Naked arguments of "deserve" and "fairness" are garbage throwaways.

Not true. They are permitted to commit holding penalties on most of their dropbacks, and other teams are not. That doesn't therefore mean they deserve to win.

It's quite an advantage and it's being glossed-over far too much. The first few drives, before they started really holding like crazy, Brady looked very different. He either couldn't get a pass off in time, or if he did he only completed a 1-4 yard dumpoff. They only scoring they did was due to starting on our 19, and on 3 dropbacks he netted -1 yard.

Then on the next drive after we march right down the field on them, Chung(?) pulls on Cumberland's arm as the pass is about to arrive. Not only is there no flag, but we have to endure listening to Fouts and Eagle fawning over the obvious PI penalty as an example of great (legal) coverage.

Not true. They are permitted to commit holding penalties on most of their dropbacks, and other teams are not. That doesn't therefore mean they deserve to win.

It's quite an advantage and it's being glossed-over far too much. The first few drives, before they started really holding like crazy, Brady looked very different. He either couldn't get a pass off in time, or if he did he only completed a 1-4 yard dumpoff. They only scoring they did was due to starting on our 19, and on 3 dropbacks he netted -1 yard.

Then on the next drive after we march right down the field on them, Chung(?) pulls on Cumberland's arm as the pass is about to arrive. Not only is there no flag, but we have to endure listening to Fouts and Eagle fawning over the obvious PI penalty as an example of great (legal) coverage.

This is simply the very common phenomenon where people tend to remember the red lights they hit but not the green. Every game people have complained about the refs. Fans for every team do this. Anecdotal evidence is even less compelling or reliable than naked arguments of fairness. Of course you can point out bad calls when you screen for them. Balance that against all the good calls and it will expose those handful of examples for what they are: outliers. Over large sample sizes Jets are not treated any better or worse (within 1 standard deviation, a variance that is statistically expected and easily explained by plain old dumb chance) than anyone else by the refs.

So did the Pats. Jets hung tough. No need to defend anyone, really. People have their pro-Geno agenda, which makes about as much sense as being pro-Lincoln Chafee.

What are you, the defending police? I am defending Fitzy against the idiot OP who said Fitz isnt good enpugh. Fitz is not the reason we lost and I was answering JohnnySD so maybe just back off and mind your own business.

What are you, the defending police? I am defending Fitzy against the idiot OP who said Fitz isnt good enpugh. Fitz is not the reason we lost and I was answering JohnnySD so maybe just back off and mind your own business.

I choose to be involved. Sorry.

This is simply the very common phenomenon where people tend to remember the red lights they hit but not the green. Every game people have complained about the refs. Fans for every team do this. Anecdotal evidence is even less compelling or reliable than naked arguments of fairness. Of course you can point out bad calls when you screen for them. Balance that against all the good calls and it will expose those handful of examples for what they are: outliers. Over large sample sizes Jets are not treated any better or worse (within 1 standard deviation, a variance that is statistically expected and easily explained by plain old dumb chance) than anyone else by the refs.

Usually you can make case. Not yesterday.  We played against the calls (or lack thereof) yesterday. It has nothing to do with large sample sizes over a number of years or standard deviations.

There are such things as games that are called badly and one-sided. This was one of those games. If you did not personally see or notice it does not mean it didn't happen. They are holding penalties, not UFOs.

Usually you can make case. Not yesterday.  We played against the calls (or lack thereof) yesterday. It has nothing to do with large sample sizes over a number of years or standard deviations.

There are such things as games that are called badly and one-sided. This was one of those games. If you did not personally see or notice it does not mean it didn't happen. They are holding penalties, not UFOs.

That's why sample size is so important. People win the lottery, too, over tiny (1 ticket) sample sizes. One game shows us absolutely nothing.

What are you talking about with sample sizes? I am talking about one game: yesterday's game.

And I'm saying that the results you believe to have perceived (unfairness or inequitable treatment), if indeed you did see them and are not just suffering from negativity bias (only remembering 'red lights'), is easily explained by random human variance and chance, not by some conspiracy or the refs being in the tank for the Pats.

I think if you looked at the game in objective fashion you would see plenty of poor calls or no-calls that benefited the Jets. But of course as Jets fans the bad calls are the ones that elicit the strongest and most memorable reactions.

Losing ivory negates a lot of what Fitz does well.  Having ivory pull his hamstring impacted the entire offense yesterday.

I think Fitz played well enough to win yesterday...and I believe if we had a healthy ivory we would have won easily yesterday and time of possession would have been even better.  

This one isn't on fitz, he'll have worse games than yesterday.

What game did you watch? Fitzpatrick had a solid game...You don't know football if you disagree.

Watched the same game you did made some really good throws and some really bad ones his long ball weakness is limiting the offense and allowing defenses to stack the box hindering the running game. 

Watched the same game you did made some really good throws and some really bad ones his long ball weakness is limiting the offense and allowing defenses to stack the box hindering the running game. 

Brady had some bad throws too, and we limited his running game as well, should they cut him?

They aren't robots...

Wow. You guys almost made it 4 hours before starting a fitz sucks thread.  Nice going. AND you are clueless. 

We did not lose because of fitz.  We lost for 3 reasons

1. Really poor punting. 

2. Marshall dropping a TD pass. 

3.  3rd and 17.

Add to the fact the DL couldn't get to Brady in the 2nd half, the Jets were not able to run the ball they way they have been running, Cumberland drops a 1st qtr TD.

Fitz cost the Jets 3 points on the 1st qtr fumble. 

Teams right now basically have to go up to that sh!thole and play a perfect game. The Jets didn't, they lost. Move on to the next game

Excuse me, I do. 

I do too. There is a big difference between capable and likely. Fitz is unlikely to win a SB, but is certainly capable in the right situation. That can probably be said of many mid or even below-average QBs. But Geno isn't on that list imho.

What most of you are missing..and I believe the OP's point is that while Fitz played well for Fitz today...

It's simply not enough to beat Tom Brady.

Yes, Fitz wasn't the reason we lost, but sometime your QB needs to be the reason you win.  Fitz isn't ever going to be the reason you win.

No Fitz supporter is going to disagree here.  The point is he's the best we've got, so continuing to whine about it is just a waste of words.  As soon as you guys find an Aaron Rodgers let us know.

Let me tell you something ... You DONT stack the box on a team because they can't throw deep that's a ridiculous statement. You stack the box on teams that lead the league in rushing kind of like we went into this game. Brady does not throw deep nor does Peyton Manning so is you're philosophy to stack the box on them ? Even Aaron Rodgers has shortened his game and does not throw deep as much. The league is moving towards the high percentage passing that's why you see QB's with 70+ completion percentages.

Why do they go to the short game ? because it helps in 2 ways 1. it helps the QB get rid of the ball quick nullifying the pass rush and 2. Accuracy getting the ball to your receivers and RB's so they can make the plays rather than relying on a very low percentage deep throw.

people calling for Fitz to throw the ball deep are Idiots and have no idea how this team is built nor do they grasp our philosophy as a team. Also making the statement Fitz can't throw deep is moronic when the guy has thrown passes 55 yards in the air on more than one occasion. I would much rather see Fitz complete the pass to move the chains like he has rather than take pot shots deep.

This is a ball control offense so get it through your head.

Archived