Expectations and acceptance

UnitedWhofans

I guess that's where we differ.  I went into the game thinking much like you, we are an 8-10 win team but had hope it could be more...I truly didn't know what this defense was yet.  They shut down Luck but after that didn't play anyone to get excited about.  Could this maybe be one of those defense that can win a Super Bowl with average yet solid QB play?  For me, that question was answered yesterday.

That's the disappointment, it's not about the record, it's not even about the loss....The team is what I thought it was, and not what I hoped it could have been.

I'm really intrigued by the fans that look at this loss and aren't disappointed.  Yes, they're still a good team and still a team that I believe will get a wildcard...but nothing more.

Because that is all I expected this year. The rest is up to fate and luck, both of which this team needs to win a championship

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't think we have the personnel to blow people out. 

We could have/should have won three games in blow outs.  Just didn't go for the jugular.  There are a lot of very bad teams in the NFL this year.  The Jets are one of the better ones.  I think, as this team begins to click you'll start to see them win a lot of games with ease.

I think next week will be their first blow out.  Jets win by two TD's.

There is a reason for that. If we start throwing the ball around willy nilly, interceptions happen

Decker was destroying New Englands secondary in the first half all of a sudden Decker was non existent in the game plan Ivory hurting caused us to rely on Stacey as soon as that happened I knew the game was lost Stacey isn't even a stop gap RB he flat out sucks. 

Decker was destroying New Englands secondary in the first half all of a sudden Decker was non existent in the game plan Ivory hurting caused us to rely on Stacey as soon as that happened I knew the game was lost Stacey isn't even a stop gap RB he flat out sucks. 

God forbid the other coach doesn't make defensive adjustments at halftime too!

We could have/should have won three games in blow outs.  Just didn't go for the jugular.  There are a lot of very bad teams in the NFL this year.  The Jets are one of the better ones.  I think, as this team begins to click you'll start to see them win a lot of games with ease.

I think next week will be their first blow out.  Jets win by two TD's.

I can see that if Oakland is suffering a let down after this week's romp

Because that is all I expected this year. The rest is up to fate and luck, both of which this team needs to win a championship

Fate has nothing to do with it...Luck doesn't either. 

You certainly have to get hot at the right time, playing your best football when it matters - but this defense is going to have to get A LOT better if there's any chance of contending for a Super Bowl.

I think we've seen that this offense is capable of putting up 24 points week-in and week-out...which is 7 more than I thought they would be...and enough to beat anyone with an elite defense.  Right now this defense is good, not great. 

I've always been a believer that a play or two early in a game is always just as valuable and affects outcomes as ones later, even though we always talk about the late game plays and decisions.  Pre game we had a thread talking about what we needed to do to win and something JiF and I agreed upon was that we had to take some chances and NOT settle for field goals because the Pats find a way by hook or by crook to score points.

Sure enough early in the game we get a 1st down inside their 5, pass I believe 3 times and have to settle for a FG.  Right there, early in the game I shook my head and didn't like our chances.

Looks like I have to pull out this nugget again.

We lost a game to a team that is better than us. There is no shame in that. It's not a ******* moral victory, it's logic. It's survival of the fittest.

To go off on Ryan Fitzpatrick, Todd Bowles or anybody is stupid at this point. We are 4-2. Given the rest of our schedule, the expectations should 8-10 wins, barring major injuries. 

We played a tough game. We lost. Stop whining about it and let's get on to next week.

This team is not going to the Super Bowl. And if you expected that, you are wearing green colored shades.

Screw that. Acceptance of losses and thinking that NE is better than us is a losing mentality. Go ahead and embrace mediocrity- so many of our beaten down fans seem perfectly happy with that. I think your post is idiotic. NFL football is not a place for realistic goals and acceptance of mediocrity. EVER. It is Bowles and MacCagnans job to never ever ever accept mediocrity or rationalize a loss as "we got beat by a better team" Only Jets fans,

It's called living in reality.  Something that a lot of people don't like to do. Is it disappointing? Of course it is. But don't go overboard with it 

I don't believe I am the one going overboard with anything. 

I fail to see the life lesson that we, as fans who have suffered 100 similarly frustrating losses, are supposed to glean at this point from yesterday's loss. That is reality. 

Stop making it bigger than it was. It's a football game. Its ok to be pissed about your team pissing away a win. 

You certainly have to get hot at the right time, playing your best football when it matters - but this defense is going to have to get A LOT better if there's any chance of contending for a Super Bowl.

I think we've seen that this offense is capable of putting up 24 points week-in and week-out...which is 7 more than I thought they would be...and enough to beat anyone with an elite defense.  Right now this defense is good, not great. 

It's 24 more than I thought they would be. 

People are emotional ninnies. The reaction is hilarious. We had a chance to win as time expired. Why the crying??

I get what you are saying but why is it crying if you take a critical look at what this team needs to improve on to get to that next level?   Not everyone is saying the sky is falling.  

Speaking of the defense, I think it is time that Mauldin started getting more of Coples or Paces reps.  We have to see if this kid can be that Edge Rusher we need.  We KNOW it isn't those two guys.   

Oh luck has a lot to do with it. The fumble kicked right back to Brady, he helmet catch, the immaculate reception

Teams that goes from 4-12 to Super Bowl champs are practically nonexistent. This year's team is never going to be the team that wins it all,unless we get a little luck. 

You have to go up in steps and right now we are on the middle step. Sorry people who have been here for 46 years but that is the way of sports

Screw that. Acceptance of losses and thinking that NE is better than us is a losing mentality. Go ahead and embrace mediocrity- so many of our beaten down fans seem perfectly happy with that. I think your post is idiotic. NFL football is not a place for realistic goals and acceptance of mediocrity. EVER. It is Bowles and MacCagnans job to never ever ever accept mediocrity or rationalize a loss as "we got beat by a better team" Only Jets fans,

it's called logic.

it's called logic.

If logic has a definition of "having the characteristics of or being a loser"

It is not logic.  Football is about passion and effort and desire. Why even play if by logic you are going to lose.

Seems no one pretty much agrees with you

No nasty attitude here at all.  I'm just intrigued by the idea that a week 7 (game 6) game has such an impact on some of you that the season expectations change so drastically.  We weren't going to be 15-1 this year.  We're probably not going to be 14-2 either.  A respectable loss to NE in their house sucks, of course.  But it does nothing to the long term outlook of this team.  We keep stacking enough chips to get us in the playoff picture and hope the team starts playing their best football at the end of December.  It's not like we just lost to JAX, now that's something to really be upset about.  My expectations haven't changed at all.  In my mind this is an 8-11 win team.  So at best they're going to lose at least 5 games.  I'm much more understanding that those 5 come against teams like NE than say JAX or HOU.  We made mistakes in this game, some coaching, some players.  All correctable.  Nothing about this game screamed that our talent wasn't there to win a game like this.  That would be depressing.  We beat ourselves with silly, yet correctable mistakes.  So no, the expectation doesn't change a bit for me and it shouldn't for anyone. 

This makes perfect sense to me.  Week 7, our 6th game of the season with just about a new everything on our team and we went into the reigning SB Champs house and didnt embarass ourselves and maybe even will be better down the line because of it.  If this team continues to grow we could do something as far as making the playoffs, time will tell what team we have here, not a week 7 game.

I get what you are saying but why is it crying if you take a critical look at what this team needs to improve on to get to that next level?   Not everyone is saying the sky is falling.  

im only talkng to the criers. You know who you are

You know what will change the tide? Us getting an elite QB of our own or Brady retiring. Neither of which is happening this year.

So we should just for forfeit the next time we play the Pats because its not fair the they have Brady and we dont?

unreal

If logic has a definition of "having the characteristics of or being a loser"

It is not logic.  Football is about passion and effort and desire. Why even play if by logic you are going to lose.

Seems no one pretty much agrees with you

So the Jets won the super bowl in 2010?  I never did accept losing to the Steelers.  I am winner with passion, effort and desire.  How did I miss the tickertape?

No. Play your hardest and pray from some luck because hats what you are going to need

Oh its luck too?  Luck had the Jets in the lead and in command of 85% of the game.  Not playing good Football? 

Really no point in playing the season at all.  Just give the trophy to the Pats and call it a season and let everyone else play for 2nd.

Bullsh*t. They are a better team. They are supposed to win. Period. They have a better QB and a better HC (right now). 

Face it.  It is the QB.  That is all.  WE stopped attacking the WB yesterday in Quarters 3 and 4.  I suggest that next time we play we keep the pressure on.  Or find a way to.

My expectations after 7 weeks is that we have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.  Once you make it to the playoffs then you have a shot at the Super Bowl.  I'm not disillusion, I know most of the times, the best teams in the season make the Super Bowl but that doesn't mean it's a gimme.   Every once in a while you get a Tebow 1st round upset or an Eli making play team.  This team is similar to the team that went to back to back AFC championships.  It's built on defense and running the football.  If we make it to the playoffs ANYTHING can happen.  We have to just make the cut and then play some ball.

If there is something to be learned from losing it is that you get a lead late you go for the throat.  If the Jets expected the Pats to get conservative they did not scout them very well.  That last drive was no different in its approach than any other scoring drive that they run.  Wake up, boys.  You play a totally unconventional coach, you better bring some hidden surprises.  He is not afraid.  Just about all NFL coaches are.

Archived