Marlins hire Mattingly as new manaager

faba

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Marlins have hired Don Mattingly to be their next manager, according to a report.

VICE Sports, citing sources, reported that the deal is for four years and likely will be made official after the World Series.

Mattingly stepped down as manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers on Oct. 22 with one year remaining on his contract. The Dodgers won 55 percent of their regular-season games in his five seasons (446-363).

The Marlins began their search earlier this month, after it was determined that Dan Jennings would not return in the role next season. Jennings had made the unusual move from GM to manager when the Marlins fired Mike Redmond in May after a 16-22 start.

The change failed to spark a turnaround, and the injury-riddled Marlins finished 71-91 in their sixth consecutive losing season.

Mattingly led the Dodgers to three straight NL West titles, a first in franchise history.

This.  Glad he got a job, but he shouldve waited for something better.

I was thinking he is lucky to get a job.  He did not exactly show a Joe Torresque ability to guide a team of high priced veterans.  Maybe a young team is a better fit.

I was thinking he is lucky to get a job.  He did not exactly show a Joe Torresque ability to guide a team of high priced veterans.  Maybe a young team is a better fit.

The Dodgers are a souless collection of high priced talent.  They lose because their all-world pitching continues to get out-pitched in the postseason.

The Dodgers are a souless collection of high priced talent.  They lose because their all-world pitching continues to get out-pitched in the postseason.

How much Dodgers baseball have you watched over the past half decade? The only other NL manager worse with a double switch this millennium was Willie Randolph.

• 2 months later...

Good for him, but that's a terrible job. Would of liked to see him get that Nats job...

He couldn't deal with the Dodgers and wouldn't have dealt with The Nats well either. The Nats got the right guy in Baker, regrettably.

Mattingly is better off in Miami. So there's some good news anyway for Mets fans.

• 2 months later...

Watched the Nats beat ol' Don's Fish today.  Good times.

Was my first visit to Nationals Park (the new one).  Trying to re-ignite an old love of baseball.

Got to say, had a GREAT time, the stadium is awesome, experience was great, had great seats (first row in the outfield).

And the guy two seats down......Sean Ellis's agent and his dad.  

I, of course, went in Nats Hat, Jets Hoodie.

Good times.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Watched the Nats beat ol' Don's Fish today.  Good times.

Was my first visit to Nationals Park (the new one).  Trying to re-ignite an old love of baseball.

Got to say, had a GREAT time, the stadium is awesome, experience was great, had great seats (first row in the outfield).

And the guy two seats down......Sean Ellis's agent and his dad.  

I, of course, went in Nats Hat, Jets Hoodie.

Good times.

Did they say anything to you about the Jets hoodie?

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Did they say anything to you about the Jets hoodie?

Aye.

Had an Usher point it out on our way in, laughing.

And the Agent guys Dad make note of it, which is what led to his telling me about his son working for Ellis.

Didn't get a chance to talk to the Son/Agent, he had a little kid with him and I didn't see any reason to interrupt, but still, pretty funny.  Of all the folks to find at a random baseball game in DC.

• 2 months later...

Archived