Devin Smith

Integrity28

Devin Smith slow to pick up offense

New York Jets WR Devin Smith has taken longer to integrate into the offense than the team expected, according to offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

TIP: Smith ($2,000, 4.0% of cap) has had openings all season with various injuries at the position, but he isn't a good option against the Oakland Raiders on FantasyScore.

I hope it starts to click for him in the back half of the season, but missing most of pre-season with injury and being dinged again now isn't going to help.

Missing the preseason didn't help him at all and yeah I'd imagine it'll take a while longer to make up for that.  But things would look very differently now if a few of the deep balls reached him in stride, or some of the crossing patterns to him had been on target  (especially the one in the endzone). 

The headlines instead would be something like "Dynamic WR has been productive while still learning the playbook".

Missing the preseason didn't help him at all and yeah I'd imagine it'll take a while longer to make up for that.  But things would look very differently now if a few of the deep balls reached him in stride, or some of the crossing patterns to him had been on target  (especially the one in the endzone). 

The headlines instead would be something like "Dynamic WR has been productive while still learning the playbook".

But that isn't the headline. And that isn't the circumstance. Maybe, just maybe the crackpots could spare one or two threads from all of the hypothetical deepball diarrhea being smeared all over this site the past month... 

Our rookie WR is hurt again and not where he needs to be according to the OC, not me, or anyone else with an agenda. This is concerning, because we used a 2nd rounder on him, we need targets to contribute beyond Marshall and Decker, and because you won't want to see a young player not work out... it's got nothing to do with Fitz.

I disagree, but regardless, he's not performing and no matter the reason, hope things change in the second half of the season.

The reason he is behind isn't debatable: he's injured.

The thread isn't calling into question who is to blame for the few passes that he didn't connect on. The thread is conveying the news to our fans that he's hurt for the 2nd time, and the OC is saying that he's now behind in his development.

I've completely put Devin Smith on the backburner.  I almost like it because rookies don't often live up to billing instantly.  It usually takes at least a year or so.  It's almost a good thing to do that because if the player ends up being bad then you already had much lower expectations.  And if they do well at some point then it's like a nice surprise.  I'm hoping Jace Amaro lives up to billing next year too.

The reason he is behind isn't debatable: he's injured.

The thread isn't calling into question who is to blame for the few passes that he didn't connect on. The thread is conveying the news to our fans that he's hurt for the 2nd time, and the OC is saying that he's now behind in his development.

None of those deep balls he was even open...a step of separation isnt open unless your Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson...and Smith will never be close to that type of a player. 

Let him heal, figure out the playbook and sit back for a little while. 

He doesn't seem to fight for position or the ball.  I didn't see too much of him at Ohio St.  In the meantime, I would like to see more of Kerley in the offense.

Agreed.  Doesn't fight for the ball.  I did not like the pick. A WR that regularly lets the DB win a 50/50 ball would have no spot in my offense.

But that isn't the headline. And that isn't the circumstance. Maybe, just maybe the crackpots could spare one or two threads from all of the hypothetical deepball diarrhea being smeared all over this site the past month... 

Our rookie WR is hurt again and not where he needs to be according to the OC, not me, or anyone else with an agenda. This is concerning, because we used a 2nd rounder on him, we need targets to contribute beyond Marshall and Decker, and because you won't want to see a young player not work out... it's got nothing to do with Fitz.

fitz is kinda crappy....jus saying. ok , i'll be nice he is extremely mediocre

I hope it starts to click for him in the back half of the season, but missing most of pre-season with injury and being dinged again now isn't going to help.

other than the truly elite wr's, it seems like this is of the tougher positions to transition from college to the nfl.    

seeing, and now reading about smith's struggles really gives you an idea of just how much this CS hates kerley, who has barely seen the field.  

fitz is kinda crappy....jus saying. ok , i'll be nice he is extremely mediocre

That's fine, I'm not arguing for or against that. There's like 50 threads where you can talk about that. 

I had hoped this thread could just be a place where the focus is on Devin Smith's development. Not yet another platform for the dumbest ******* argument in the history of the site.

Just an excuse to stop all the Fitzpatrick can't throw it down field rumblings, honestly with a normal QB what should Smith need to pick up other than hey bud go deep on this play from time to time with his skill set (being wasted)?  Yes he missed all of camp, and preseason games of course he will be behind, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to throw the kid a 9 route once a half at minimum.

It's a brain injury?

lol, in a matter of speaking, yes.

Injuries prevent reps. Reps reinforce an understanding of assignments, anticipation, and muscle memory, among other things. For an athlete, you could argue that any injury impedes the mental side of the game. It's why taking "mental reps" is a thing.

Some receivers have uneventful first years and then break out.  Hopefully this will happen before the end of the year

Dammit why do we always pick all the projects while other teams pick the sure things 

Jets OC Chan Gailey says second-round WR Devin Smith has "struggled" to pick up the offense.

"It's been a longer process than anyone thought it would be," Gailey said of his rookie wideout. "He's got a lot to learn." He won't do any learning in Week 8, as he'll sit with an ankle injury. Smith is an end-of-bench type in Dynasty leagues.

He doesn't seem to fight for position or the ball.  I didn't see too much of him at Ohio St.  In the meantime, I would like to see more of Kerley in the offense.

Good post.  I recall D. Smith saying during TC before the rib injury something like he expected to be running go routes and he was surprise when he was asked to learn all the routes.  I was happy when/where we drafted him but when I heard this I got worried.  I hope he's not a numbskull. One Steven Hill was more than enough.  

Dammit why do we always pick all the projects while other teams pick the sure things 

Jets OC Chan Gailey says second-round WR Devin Smith has "struggled" to pick up the offense.

"It's been a longer process than anyone thought it would be," Gailey said of his rookie wideout. "He's got a lot to learn." He won't do any learning in Week 8, as he'll sit with an ankle injury. Smith is an end-of-bench type in Dynasty leagues.

Disappointing to read that quote. Even while he was out with the injury, he should've been able to progress in learning the offense by watching the practices and by doing film study.

I've completely put Devin Smith on the backburner.  I almost like it because rookies don't often live up to billing instantly.  It usually takes at least a year or so.  It's almost a good thing to do that because if the player ends up being bad then you already had much lower expectations.  And if they do well at some point then it's like a nice surprise.  I'm hoping Jace Amaro lives up to billing next year too.

I concur. I hate it when players are awesome too soon.

Archived