Ryan Tannehill just isn't good enough.

Jetsfan80

Tannehill:  Signed a $77M contract with $21.5M guaranteed.  Goes into Foxboro and gets blown out 36-7, including 2 picks and a safety.

Fitzpatrick:  Counts $3.25M against the cap, free agent after the season.  Goes into Foxboro and is one Marshall TD catch away from possibly knocking off the unbeaten Patriots.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener elsewhere.  Dollar for dollar, Fitz has been very good for us, and performs well enough to win most of the time.  People need to stop whining about our QB situation, but of course they won't. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to compare. Our defense is superior to the dolphins in every way. Our offensive line is superior to the phins. I would take our wr's and running backs over the phins. Talent can make any qb look better. Without Marshall bailing Fitz out we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hard to compare. Our defense is superior to the dolphins in every way. Our offensive line is superior to the phins. I would take our wr's and running backs over the phins. Talent can make any qb look better. Without Marshall bailing Fitz out we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In his young career, Jarvis Landry has caught 126 passes on 176 targets.  Last week he took a 14 yard pass an extra 36 for a TD by faking out the entire Texans' defense, going from one side of the field to the other.  He alone nearly makes your entire argument invalid.

Is Fitz's surrounding talent so great compared to Tannehill that you can excuse a 36-7 loss?  Less than 24 hours or so someone started a thread stating that Miami has the talent to "test" New England.  Hmm, funny how that tune changes after a trip to Foxboro.

Tannehill:  Signed a $77M contract with $21.5M guaranteed.  Goes into Foxboro and gets blown out 36-7, including 2 picks and a safety.

Fitzpatrick:  Counts $3.25M against the cap, free agent after the season.  Goes into Foxboro and is one Marshall TD catch away from possibly knocking off the unbeaten Patriots.

Sometimes the grass isn't greener elsewhere.  Dollar for dollar, Fitz has been very good for us, and performs well enough to win most of the time.  People need to stop whining about our QB situation, but of course they won't. 

But look how far he can throw it....so, so far.

He still sucks. But at least we're not overpaying for a pile of sh*t like Tannehill.

Loves to check down and for a supposedly mobile qb falls apart when the pocket collapses.

I would prefer a young QB that is more of a risk taker and have him mature as a game manager.  I remember before he even played in the regular season Herm and some of the offensive coaches were complaining that Pennington had to learn to trust his arm and take chances.  That was before any injury.  He was just inherently cautious, which is why we used to have 80 reception fullbacks.  I guess the flipside are guys like Cutler and Favre that just keep winging INTs from the day they walk in the league to the day they are carted out.

In his young career, Jarvis Landry has caught 126 passes on 176 targets.  Last week he took a 14 yard pass an extra 36 for a TD by faking out the entire Texans' defense, going from one side of the field to the other.  He alone nearly makes your entire argument invalid.

Is Fitz's surrounding talent so great compared to Tannehill that you can excuse a 36-7 loss?  Less than 24 hours or so someone started a thread stating that Miami has the talent to "test" New England.  Hmm, funny how that tune changes after a trip to Foxboro.

In addition to Landry and Mathews, the Phins went out and got Greg Jennings, Kenny Stills, Jordan Cameron and drafted DeVonte Parker with the 14th overall pick (not to mention signed Jonas Gray and drafted Jay Ajayi) but weapons are why Tannehill is struggling.

Great post.  Couldnt believe the stupidity I was reading earlier this week...how Jets fans are impressed by them crushing no ones and piss on our wins is beyond me.  Some people just need to have their face sat on by Mama June for being so pathetic...

1373990500_mama-june-4-665x385.jpg

I would prefer a young QB that is more of a risk taker and have him mature as a game manager.  I remember before he even played in the regular season Herm and some of the offensive coaches were complaining that Pennington had to learn to trust his arm and take chances.  That was before any injury.  He was just inherently cautious, which is why we used to have 80 reception fullbacks.  I guess the flipside are guys like Cutler and Favre that just keep winging INTs from the day they walk in the league to the day they are carted out.

Gunslingers like Favre are far more likely to win a ring than a game manager like Alex Smith.  The QB who throws 4 TD's and 3 INT's is more valuable than the QB who throws 2 TD's and 0 INT's.  Eli Manning, for all his faults, has 2 rings in part because he has the upside to produce a terrific playoff run. 

In addition to Landry and Mathews, the Phins went out and got Greg Jennings, Kenny Stills, Jordan Cameron and drafted DeVonte Parker with the 14th overall pick (not to mention signed Jonas Gray and drafted Jay Ajayi) but weapons are why Tannehill is struggling.

Not weapons, but... WEAPONZZZZZ!

I still think Tannehill is pretty good.  He is playing on a team that isn't very good.  Even if the new coaching staff is good, they are playing catch up and the offense isn't right.  I think they also started to read their own press and were cocky.  Also, Bowels who has had an entire offseason to prepare to coach and a full week to prepare for the Pats was out coached, can't imagine how hard it was on the new coaching staff to go against BB and Brady on a short week.

Either way, I would be happy if Tannehill was the Jets QB (as long as we didn't overpay for him the way the dolphfins did).  He is a middle of the road (12-16 in the league) with a pretty strong arm.  He needs to settle down and make the next step, but the pressure is on with his new deal.

I still think Tannehill is pretty good.  He is playing on a team that isn't very good.  Even if the new coaching staff is good, they are playing catch up and the offense isn't right.  I think they also started to read their own press and were cocky.  Also, Bowels who has had an entire offseason to prepare to coach and a full week to prepare for the Pats was out coached, can't imagine how hard it was on the new coaching staff to go against BB and Brady on a short week.

Either way, I would be happy if Tannehill was the Jets QB (as long as we didn't overpay for him the way the dolphfins did).  He is a middle of the road (12-16 in the league) with a pretty strong arm.  He needs to settle down and make the next step, but the pressure is on with his new deal.

He's playing on a team that isn't very good?  

Please Jets fans, read the above bold?  Remove the name Tannehill, insert the name Sanchez or Geno and ask yourself, have you heard this story before?

Tannehill: Landry, Jennings, Stills, Parker, Clay, and Miller

Geno: Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Kerley, Jeff Cumberland, Davis Nelson, and Ivory

Sanchez: Plaxico, Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Keller, and LT

Ummmmm, excuses much?  Tannehill sucks, he has stacked talent around him, and he still sucks.  Period.  Did you not watch the jets vs Miami?  Hey, pretty sure the Phins bandwagon has room, feel free to join!

How could these guys have been cocky when they had been mediocre, at best, overall.

Please Jets fans, read the above bold?  Remove the name Tannehill, insert the name Sanchez or Geno and ask yourself, have you heard this story before?

Geno: Stephen Hill, Santonio Holmes, Kerley, Jeff Cumberland, Davis Nelson, and Ivory

Ummmmm, excuses much?  Tannehill sucks, he has stacked talent around him, and he still sucks.  Period.  Did you not watch the jets vs Miami?  Hey, pretty sure the Phins bandwagon has room, feel free to join!

I have to admit I am curious as to how Geno would have done with the stronger supporting cast.  Doesn't mean I want to go back to him, though (unless Fitz gets hurt). 

I don't think he sucks as bad as some indicate, he is just another in the long line of overpaid medium QB's who can look good if their team plays at a high level around them.  (See Flacco, Stafford, etc.)  He certainly doesn't seem to come up big in big games though which is obviously a big problem.

Dude, we already had a Fitz comparison thread this week! :-)

You're right though. I personally looked at Tanehill as a better version of Fitz (high percentage completion, terrible deep ball thrower but a stronger arm). Fitz is playing like the "good Fitz" most of the time and we havent seen the "bad Fitz" once this year. He's had a questionable game or two, but nothing that I can say "this dude is terrible". 

Im actually surprised. 

Dude, we already had a Fitz comparison thread this week! :-)

You're right though. I personally looked at Tanehill as a better version of Fitz (high percentage completion, terrible deep ball thrower but a stronger arm). Fitz is playing like the "good Fitz" most of the time and we havent seen the "bad Fitz" once this year. He's had a questionable game or two, but nothing that I can say "this dude is terrible". 

Im actually surprised. 

You don't need to apologize to me, Villain.  Apologize to The Beard.

I can't figure the guy out, but he's not a franchise QB.

It's pretty simple.  He's a more mobile Chad Pennington.  Destroys bad teams but gets destroyed by good ones.  Refuses to take chances and doesn't have the arm strength to do so anyways.  Say what you will about Fitz's arm strength, but he takes chances downfield anyways, and our big WR's get a nice amount of PI flags as a result.

Even if the contracts weren't a factor, I'd still rather roll with Fitz over Tannehill.  Fitz has brass balls and Tannehill is a pu$$y.

You don't need to apologize to me, Villain.  Apologize to The Beard.

No need for me to apologize. Saying that someone would like to see what Geno could do in this system or that we dont know what Geno is in this system when responding to people making poor statements on the guy (and using Fitz current success) has been made equivalent to bashing Fitz and his man-beard. 

I've supported Fitz the moment the ball kicked off week 1. I just don't over hype him or act like a 3rd year QB is somehow washed up. 

I fully expected my view to fall by the wayside the moment I didnt agree that Geno couldnt overcome his first two years. With that said, dont want to hijack the thread, Tannehill is looking real bad. Then again the team as a whole looks terrible. 

He sucks. He put up huge numbers against a Texans squad that has quit on HC Bill O'Brien. When JJ Watt is invisible you know the team has quit on you. I wish we played them this week instead of AFTER O'Brien gets his walking papers because they will play like a pack of crazed dogs then. Plus, in case everyone forgot, the Jets already beat Miami and Fitzy outdueled Tannehill decisively.

No. I don't want to. I don't want to do any of these things you tell me to do. I want to eat candy and look at naked ladies on the internet.

Gunslingers like Favre are far more likely to win a ring than a game manager like Alex Smith.  The QB who throws 4 TD's and 3 INT's is more valuable than the QB who throws 2 TD's and 0 INT's.  Eli Manning, for all his faults, has 2 rings in part because he has the upside to produce a terrific playoff run. 

Which is ultimately one of the big arguments against Fitz, and it is based in fact. In addition to the weak arm, Fitz also throws a lot of picks but cannot overcome them with lots of touchdowns.

I think in this modern NFL, if I were building a team I would not play any QB that was not able to make all the throws and that was not naturally aggressive and capable deep down the field. On a deep pass almost every outcome is positive:

1. Reception- Likely leads to a score

2. Pass Interference - Likely leads to a score

3. Def holding -first down and keeps drive alive

All of these also lead to less men in the box, opening up the running game

4. Interception Turnovers are bad, but a deep ball that is intercepted is essentially a punt so even this not that bad.

Running is actually far less beneficial if you think about it because you still need to convert third downs and unless you are gashing them and consistently scoring it also tends to keep the score closer, which means 1 or 2 big plays from the opponent and you are behind

I'm actually hoping tannehill can at least keep showing little bit of promise, and doesn't just crap out too quickly - i want the dolphins to feel like they can't give up on him yet for years and years, kind of a sanchez/geno situation - or even like a rob johnson, where they have this crappy QB that they still think might be good - I'm hoping it lasts multiple seasons before they throw in the towel on him… because from what i've watched of tannehill he is… not good.

I was almost upset that we got philbin fired, because I felt he sucked too, i was hoping he'd stick around for a while… god i hate the dolphins.

No need for me to apologize. Saying that someone would like to see what Geno could do in this system or that we dont know what Geno is in this system when responding to people making poor statements on the guy (and using Fitz current success) has been made equivalent to bashing Fitz and his man-beard. 

I've supported Fitz the moment the ball kicked off week 1. I just don't over hype him or act like a 3rd year QB is somehow washed up. 

I fully expected my view to fall by the wayside the moment I didnt agree that Geno couldnt overcome his first two years. 

I think you've vastly mistaken "overhyping" for "rooting". Me personally, I'm rooting for the QB of the NY Jets. I don't know... call me ******* crazy... but it seems like the right thing to do given that this is the team I love, he's helping us win, and he's part (read that: "PART") of what is making football enjoyable this season.

Nobody rooting for Fitz is really trying to sell him as anything different than what he is: a journeyman who is part of a great early-season story for the Jets.

This entire debate stems from a couple of twatty crackpots crying that we didn't win by enough. Forget that we won. Not by enough... let that sink in. 

After watching the last 4 yeas of Jets football, you'd think winning would be enough... but no, 2-3 deep passes per game is far more important than winning I guess.

Archived