Jared Goff

Patriot Killa

The getting destroyed by D lineman ratio.

the jets run a spread offense.  the rules of the game today prevent defenses form hitting QB's and WR's like they used to, so we are seeing more spread offenses in the NFL.  Drafting a spread QB that doesn't run is perfectly fine football strategery

this kid already makes full field reads.  it would be a mistake to write him off as a running 1 read QB that is going to get hurt

the jets run a spread offense.  the rules of the game today prevent defenses form hitting QB's and WR's like they used to, so we are seeing more spread offenses in the NFL.  Drafting a spread QB that doesn't run is perfectly fine football strategery

this kid already makes full field reads.  it would be a mistake to write him off as a running 1 read QB that is going to get hurt

First of all the spread that the Jets run is nothing like the spread that college teams run.

And if your QB is moving, running the spread and pitches it out to a back, he's a back and is allowed to be blown up by a defensive player.  He's deemed a runner and is offered none of the protection a QB gets.  

First of all the spread that the Jets run is nothing like the spread that college teams run.

And if your QB is moving, running the spread and pitches it out to a back, he's a back and is allowed to be blown up by a defensive player.  He's deemed a runner and is offered none of the protection a QB gets.  

no sh*t

what does that have to do with jared goff ?

no sh*t

Lets see, because you brought up the idea that the QB in a spread can't be hit by rule if the spread is used in the NFL?  That he's afforded protection so the college spread could be used in the NFL?

And the equally wrong idea that the Jets run a spread thats the same as a college spread?

Two points YOU posted that are dead wrong.  You cant follow this either?

no sh*t

??

Lets see, because you brought up the idea that the QB in a spread can't be hit by rule if the spread is used in the NFL?  That he's afforded protection so the college spread could be used in the NFL?

And the equally wrong idea that the Jets run a spread thats the same as a college spread?

Two points YOU posted that are dead wrong.  You cant follow this either?

holy sh*t. lol

if you have to work that hard to twist someones comments into something else, you should just move on

Twisted where exactly?????? 

Do you actually read what you write?  No confusing what you wrote, nothing was twisted other than your panties, but hey, I should move on, lol ok 

Same reason why teams do not run the wishbone and wildcat.

They are gimmick offenses and NFL defenses will eventually figure them out.

The spread has been in the league for years and the more we see the league favoring the passing game the more we see the Spread offense. The wildcat and the wishbone both favor running QBs who can throw, the problem is both schemes either favor the run which has been phased out with the "star runningback" being your most important piece in the offense or with trickery and sucking in defenders to leave spaces open in the defense.

Look at the elite QB's of the past 15 years. Most arent moble and the most mobile of them all is Aaron Rodgers and he doesnt run a wish or a wildcat, he plays in a spread offense. The Spread offense isnt a gimmick because it doesnt require trickery to work, it implements stressing the defense by spreading them out and utilizing the entire width of the field. 

Another great reason why the spread works so well in College is because of the wider hashmarks. If an offense lines up on the right hashmark they have a sh*t LOAD of space to the left for the WR to work with which creates problems for safeties to cover. You dont have that issue in the pros. With that said, the Spread isnt a gimmick like the Wildcat and Wishbone which exploits defenders not being discipline in their responsibilities. If the defenders remain diciplined in their responsiblities then the gimmick wont work. Look at Miami after just 1 year or look at San Fran with their QB after 2 years. The spread could use speed by the WR's (Randy Moss) or size and technique (Brandon Marshall) in order to be used successfully. It could be used by a mobile or immobile QB. It could be used by a pass catching scat back, a slashing RB or a power back. 

Thats not a gimmick, thats a versatile scheme if used to the players strengths. 

The spread works in college because there aren't 10 draftable corners playing at one time in the whole country, and a team like Baylor forces you to put five of those sh*theels on the field the whole game. That's why those receivers look unstoppable in college and disappear in the pros. Terrance Williams, Michael Crabtree, etc

That's what I meant by needing a deeper WR corp for it to work in the NFL. The spread works in college for a few different reasons. First, it spreads the field creating lots of passing lanes (thats basic football). Second, like you said, it finds the sh*thead on defense (or mismatch) to exploit. The third thing is that there are no limits on reps you can take in shorts and a t-shirt in college or in the NFL. Teams like the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers won because they had talent - but they also ran tough, long, hard hitting practices where everyone took a ton or reps. Reps used to mean running a sweep right 1000 times in practice until it was perfect. You can't do that today in the NFL or NCAA with the hitting rules. I encourage everyone to watch E:60 with Edelman if they want to know how he went from college QB to NFL star WR. He had so many reps with Brady, he could run a hitch in his sleep, step for step. Thats why he is so effective. He runs his routes perfect, and knows how to run them perfect against different overages. Thats why the spread works in college. NFL rosters are smaller. In college you can have 15 WR's getting reps with the QB's 6 hours a day. Then just play the mismatches every week.

Who's writing anyone off? I'm for sitting Petty for 2 years and developing him.

I dont understand this. If so many college QB's are playing Spread offense why dont OC's implement the offense? Why draft a guy and ruin what he's good at? 

i think this is a pretty good question that I've never seen a great answer to. 

Couple things though: there are different variations of the spread.   Goff runs the air raid - which is the same as both Petty and Geno.   The Air Raid is a very different spread than what urban Meyer runs, different than run and shoot , and different than what pats* run.  

I think the NFL uses a lot of the air raid concepts and plays but you don't see any teams exclusively run the system.   I don't know why it won't translate to the NFL   I think the limited number of plays and reads make it easier to stop in the NFL.  I also think it's susceptible to complex coverages and blitzes that you don't see much of in HS or college.   

Archived