Does Bowles understand how football games work?

InstantClassic

not during this era he doesn't-he's still playing NFC football and thinking that gentlemen's rules stand-wrong-o you have teams like the Patriots who will try to score a TD on your defense with 45 seconds left and them up by 17 points. Bowles thinks he can sit on a lead-he is the next Herman Edwards now instead of playing not to lose-he plays to win by just enough

More likely understanding that the game is over and doesn't want more injuries on the offense.

Thought exactly the same. Would have worked if Smith had gone out of bounds on his run. So maybe he'll not be available as well next week if he broke ribs or something. Unbelievable how many guys are banged up or out already Ivory, Milliner, Fitz, Marshall, Decker, Mangold, Amaro, Smith1 , Smith2, Pryor, ...

That was as idiotic as possible. Punt when you are down 2 scores with 3.5 minutes left?

Still waiting for one, just one, NFL coach willing to think outside the box. To stand up against this dinosaur aged logic of constantly  and voluntarily relinquishing possession of the ball...play the odds and go on 4th downs and attempt multiple onside kicks per game.

Still waiting for one, just one, NFL coach willing to think outside the box. To stand up against this dinosaur aged logic of constantly  and voluntarily relinquishing possession of the ball...play the odds and go on 4th downs and attempt multiple onside kicks per game.

amen.  that kelley guy at pulaski academy is fascinating.  it won't come to the NFL probably ever, but it reinforces the idea that giving the ball back isn't always the best play

After the last six+ quarters, I'd say concerning is an understatement. Today's game was completely indistinguishable from a game coached by Rex.

I thought the punt with 3 minutes left in the 3rd was silly...not to be outdone by the punt with 3 minutes left in the game. Stop giving the ball back to the other team when your defense has been terrible all day. Drives me crazy. 4th and short, Raiders secondary sucks...go for it. Nothing to lose.

I thought the punt with 3 minutes left in the 3rd was silly...not to be outdone by the punt with 3 minutes left in the game. Stop giving the ball back to the other team when your defense has been terrible all day. Drives me crazy. 4th and short, Raiders secondary sucks...go for it. Nothing to lose.

Not to mention they looked totally flat. I give the offense a pass because of the Fitzpatrick injury, but the defense didn't even bother getting off the bus. Playing the Pats tough in their building then getting blown out by a mediocre opponent the next week is like page 1 in the SOJ playbook. Can't speak for anyone else, and I know this is a crazy overreaction, but I have to admit I'm getting a really anxious here-we-go-again kind of feeling.

Not to mention they looked totally flat. I give the offense a pass because of the Fitzpatrick injury, but the defense didn't even bother getting off the bus. Playing the Pats tough in their building then getting blown out by a mediocre opponent the next week is like page 1 in the SOJ playbook. Can't speak for anyone else, and I know this is a crazy overreaction, but I have to admit I'm getting a really anxious here-we-go-again kind of feeling.

So who do you want as a HC? And I want a name.

It's all new for him.  Seems like he's second guessing himself a lot. Hopefully he's capable of fixing it but he's definitely a little unaware of the situation.

This is the same coach that was shutting teams down, making great second half adjustments and had the Jets at 4-1 a couple of weeks ago.  Nobody is perfect.  He's not coaching them to miss tackles, stick to blocks and blow coverage (stuff they werent doing a couple of weeks ago).

The just need to refocus and get back on track.  The injuries are a concern but they need to look deep at what's not working because there seems to be a lot of it, yet they go right back to it. 

If Fitz is out for the year the season is over anyways. I do get the sense that this staff isnt overly innovative, which sucks. Most staffs arent, but with the Pats in the division you have to be,

So who do you want as a HC? And I want a name.

I didn't say I want Bowles to get fired. I like his even-keeled attitude, and I think he's handled some difficult situations (Richardson, Richardson redux, Punchgate) really well. But there's been some awfully questionable in-game management over the team's last 92 minutes or so of game time, which is frustrating to see because we've been dealing with it every single year since Parcells left. Throw in the fact that our defense no-showed today, and you're telling me you're not getting any SOJ vibes here? Come on.

Last week with the timeouts in NE..now punting with 3 minutes left down 2 scores.

Does he have any situational awareness whatsoever?

I think he does. And outside of a few mistakes he's made he's done an outstanding job. I agree with the punt because if we went for it and failed the Raiders were already in scoring range and a FG literally puts the game away. Punting allows the defense to stop the Raiders and keep them from scoring, which they did, and we got the ball back. Marshall dropped a TD pass and with no time outs and a chance to kick an onside (because of the dropped TD) we lost the game. 

If you really think about the punt it was a good idea, especially if we went for it and didnt convert. 

I didn't say I want Bowles to get fired. I like his even-keeled attitude, and I think he's handled some difficult situations (Richardson, Richardson again, Punchgate) really well. But there's been some awfully questionable in-game management over the team's last 92 minutes or so of game time, which is frustrating to see because we've been dealing with it every single year since Parcells left. Throw in the fact that our defense no-showed today, and you're telling me you're not getting any SOJ vibes here? Come on.

This was a team that went 4-12 last year. Their roster was awful

Archived