Start Petty Next Week. Throw him in the deep end and set him on fire.

CobraVerde

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have to grossly misstate my post that's as good as an admission. Thanks.

An admission of what? What are you even talking about? Go have your morning coffee.

I didn't think it was grossly misstating it. That's the position anyone would think you're taking: that you think it's a panic move to put him in there, that you think that is bad (or you'd have said otherwise), and are arguing against this "panic" move by quoting the alleged risk (i.e. permanent damage). 

Plus you've been responding to and arguing against made-up/fake quotes a couple of times this thread as it is, so something something pot and kettle.

"Everyone knows Petty isn't ready we can't start him under any circumstances his rookie year! We will ruin him! Only idiots would suggest it! Well, unless we are panicking." Panic is a poor strategy.

Especially when everyone and their mother knows the Jets aren't good enough for any sniff of a Super Bowl yet. If they think Petty has the skills to be a Top Tier starting QB DON'T let him see the field. If they think of him as their career back up/developmental QB then whatever, throw him to fire and maybe he'll surprise everyone I guess. 

I would really rather not but the Jets may not have a choice.

The Jets are going to do everything in their power to have either Geno or Fitz at least give it a go on Sunday.

Just don't think Petty based on the offense he came out of is probably not even close to being ready to be an NFL QB.

No chain smoker ever said they wanted to be a chain smoker. It always starts with, just one. 

#analogizingftw

lol

Because putting in a QB and watching him get embarrassed for 1 game is a chemical addiction risk of the collective judgment of Todd Bowles, Chan Gailey, and Kevin Patullo.

If he's really getting killed out there because he doesn't know his ass from his elbow and is just in full panic mode every snap, then they'll pull him. Even if it happened all game long for 1 game, he's not getting permanently psychologically damaged (i.e. David Carr'd, or Rocky getting flashbacks of Drago punching his face into mush). That's absurd.

He could throw 4 pick 6's, get sacked 5x, and buttfumble twice, all in 1 game, and he still wouldn't be permanently David Carr'd. (OK, maybe if all that happened he would, because after a game like that he should be on suicide watch lol.) Regardless, it's simply not happening.

Sweet jesus. If you ever want Petty to have any type of success in this league, you absolutely do not let him play this season, at all. He is in no way ready to handle the NFL game and putting him in now could ruin him, which could set our franchise back even further, if you are assuming he's capable of being a franchise guy. You roll with Geno and whomever they grab to be his backup and continue to let Petty learn. He's just not ready.  

What if they just need him to the hold the fort for a few games?  You really think playing a game or 2 is going to ruin the kid?  I think that's extreme if not a little ridiculous.  

Some guys step up in the moment out of seemingly nowhere.  Look at Brady.  I get that's a magical 1 in a million chance but still.  You never know with these guys. 

I dont think having him start a few games until the other guys get healthy is going to ruin his career.  That's extreme. 

lol

Because putting in a QB and watching him get clobbered is a chemical addiction risk of the collective judgment of Todd Bowles, Chan Gailey, and Kevin Patullo.

If he's getting killed out there because he doesn't know his ass from his elbow and is just in full panic mode every snap, then they'll pull him. Even if it happened all game long for 1 game, he's not getting permanently psychologically damaged (i.e. David Carr'd). That's absurd.

He could throw 4 pick 6's, get sacked 5x, and buttfumble twice, all in 1 game, and he still wouldn't be permanently David Carr'd. OK, maybe if all that happened he would, because after a game like that he should be on suicide watch lol. But it's simply not happening.

That's only one of the, lets say, 507 possibilities. He more than likely makes horrible plays with a few flashes of "brilliance" which is enough to create your typical Jets media and/or fanbase sh*t-storm for the rest of the season. 506. Or what if looks like Peyton Manning for a game, fools gold, and then gets destroyed vs. the Bills following week. 505. And as a result gets a major injury. 504. Or worst off, bc he isn't even ready the Jags,  he gets a major injury on the 3rd drive. 503. And what if he has a holier than now sh*t game, maybe "he" doesn't lose his confidence, but the fanbase could lose their confidence in him which could be just as bad...given the Jets aren't winning a SB this year anyway bc of the QB situation, it's at least sorta nice that there's this "hope" with the kid they drafted in the mid rounds to get us through an offseason and possibly maybe even another year. Why are you underestimating the power of hope???!!! You're a Jets fan. It's all you have. We'll get em next year Sperm. 

That's only one of the, lets say, 507 possibilities. He more than likely makes horrible plays with a few flashes of "brilliance" which is enough to create your typical Jets media and/or fanbase sh*t-storm for the rest of the season. 506. Or what if looks like Peyton Manning for a game, fools gold, and then gets destroyed vs. the Bills following week. 505. And as a result gets a major injury. 504. Or worst off, bc he isn't even ready the Jags,  he gets a major injury on the 3rd drive. 503. And what if he has a holier than now sh*t game, maybe "he" doesn't lose his confidence, but the fanbase could lose their confidence in him which could be just as bad...given the Jets aren't winning a SB this year anyway bc of the QB situation, it's at least sorta nice that there's this "hope" with the kid they drafted in the mid rounds to get us through an offseason and possibly maybe even another year. Why are you underestimating the power of hope???!!! You're a Jets fan. It's all you have. We'll get em next year Sperm. 

You forgot to mention:

Possibility 374: he could get hit by a train

Possibility 244: he could slip on a wet floor he otherwise wouldn't have been on at the same time if he was still the #3 (or #2) QB.

Give me a break. Injury risk? Every veteran player on the field has an injury risk. That's not a reason. 

The reality is he's more likely to have a good game against Jacksonville, and remain good for rest of the season with our cushy schedule, than getting permanently damaged for having started 1 mid-season game. Where have you heard of that happening like ever (never mind repeatedly happening often enough to make it a serious risk)?

My thoughts are based on Geno or Fitz both not being able to play. This idea that Petty would be ruined for life is hilarious playing one game. What kind pussies are all you people? I think you just don't want to watch the game peeking through your fingers on every throw, lol.

With Geno Smith (shoulder) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (thumb) questionable, Jets coach Todd Bowles said rookie QB Bryce Petty will get some first-team snaps in practice this week.

"I have confidence in Bryce," Bowles said. "Obviously, he doesn’t know what Ryan knows. He doesn’t know what Geno knows. But he knows a good portion of our offense. He can function and go in there and play a game." Oh boy. Petty struggled to move the offense playing against fourth stringers this preseason, and he is not ready to face even Jacksonville's defense. If Fitzpatrick and Smith are not able to play, New York will need to find a veteran stopgap.

An admission of what? What are you even talking about? Go have your morning coffee.

I didn't think it was grossly misstating it. That's the position anyone would think you're taking: that you think it's a panic move to put him in there, that you think that is bad (or you'd have said otherwise), and are arguing against this "panic" move by quoting the alleged risk (i.e. permanent damage). 

Plus you've been responding to and arguing against made-up/fake quotes a couple of times this thread as it is, so something something pot and kettle.

rage and ad hominems are as good as an admission. Thanks. PS it's night time in Singapore. Pour yourself that coffee.

You forgot to mention:

Possibility 374: he could get hit by a train

Possibility 244: he could slip on a wet floor he otherwise wouldn't have been on at the same time if he was still the #3 (or #2) QB.

Give me a break. Injury risk? Every veteran player on the field has an injury risk. That's not a reason. 

The reality is he's more likely to have a good game against Jacksonville, and remain good for rest of the season with our cushy schedule, than getting permanently damaged for having started 1 mid-season game. Where have you heard of that happening like ever (never mind repeatedly happening often enough to make it a serious risk)?

But from all scouting reports and given the system he played in at Baylor I'd need to see some evidence he's ready. If he's the future, I'd rather he sit at least one full year. 

the sad irony of developing a QB in the NFL is they don't learn unless they play and playing them too early often ruins them. There's no easy answer. I'd start him this week purely if the other guys are too hurt to be effective. A healthy dum dum rookie is better than a hurt vet.  As for "ruining" this player it is a risk but keep in mind 1) he's like 25 one of the oldest rookies in the league, was actually in the same prep recruiting class as Geno coming out of HS 2) they only used a 4th rounder on him he's not some sort of amazing prospect that they need to protect. He's a lotto ticket in the 4th round. 

What if they just need him to the hold the fort for a few games?  You really think playing a game or 2 is going to ruin the kid?  I think that's extreme if not a little ridiculous.  

Some guys step up in the moment out of seemingly nowhere.  Look at Brady.  I get that's a magical 1 in a million chance but still.  You never know with these guys. 

I dont think having him start a few games until the other guys get healthy is going to ruin his career.  That's extreme. 

I don't think it's extreme because the kid is not even remotely close to ready. I guess worse things could happen than a couple week trial, but he's going to get laughed off the field, the fanbase will unfairly label him a bust and we'll boo him whenever he gets back in. I for once would like to sit a prospect and truly sit him. If he was ready now then he's taken a Mongolian leap forward in progress. Just don't think it's wise that's all. 

But from all scouting reports and given the system he played in at Baylor I'd need to see some evidence he's ready. If he's the future, I'd rather he sit at least one full year. 

And you have "some evidence": this is right back to where I started. If Bowles is already at the "maybe" stage with him, that is "some evidence" he might be ready for a spot start.

What other "evidence" would there be for you the fan, short of seeing him do well next summer in preseason games? If he was still totally lost, Bowles would have said that's not an option, or his answer would be even less enthusiastic than his "maybe" response.

The reality is this may be better than starting him next season. He's got a good team around him (allegedly), and a soft upcoming schedule, starting with the freaking Jaguars. Plus with the team coming off a couple of losses even without him, he won't get blamed for ruining the season. 

I just think you're making a single start out to be more than it is. It also comes across like you're equating starting him at ANY point his rookie season - including months into the season like we're at now - with throwing him to the wolves starting week 1, with no help or veteran presence to lean on. He's seen a lot and presumably learned a lot over the past couple of months. It's not the same thing as throwing Geno in week 1 of 2013 with an injured Decker and 4 other stiffs to throw to. He has good players around him and presumably Petty hasn't spent the entirety of the last 6 months sucking his thumb and napping in his crib.

And you have "some evidence": this is right back to where I started. If Bowles is already at the "maybe" stage with him, that is "some evidence" he might be ready for a spot start.

What other "evidence" would there be for you the fan, short of seeing him do well next summer in preseason games? If he was still totally lost, Bowles would have said that's not an option, or his answer would be even less enthusiastic than his "maybe" response.

The reality is this may be better than starting him next season. He's got a good team around him (allegedly), and a soft upcoming schedule, starting with the freaking Jaguars. Plus with the team coming off a couple of losses even without him, he won't get blamed for ruining the season. 

I just think you're making a single start out to be more than it is. It also comes across like you're equating starting him at ANY point his rookie season - including months into the season like we're at now - with throwing him to the wolves starting week 1, with no help or veteran presence to lean on. He's seen a lot and presumably learned a lot over the past couple of months. It's not the same thing as throwing Geno in week 1 of 2013 with an injured Decker and 4 other stiffs to throw to. He has good players around him and presumably Petty hasn't spent the entirety of the last 6 months sucking his thumb and napping in his crib.

If it's a matter of injury and he's the only QB on the roster healthy enough, fine. And I'd rather Petty than anyone off the street or from another team who hasn't even seen the playbook yet. If he was considered a more NFL ready guy I'd have much less of an issue with it too. That would actually be my biggest gripe. But fine, throw him to the wolves and cross your fingers. 

If it's a matter of injury and he's the only QB on the roster healthy enough, fine. And I'd rather Petty than anyone off the street or from another team who hasn't even seen the playbook yet. If he was considered a more NFL ready guy I'd have much less of an issue with it too. That would actually be my biggest gripe. But fine, throw him to the wolves and cross your fingers. 

No, that's still not it. I do not think he is being thrown to the wolves. If it was week 1 and he still didn't even have a grasp on taking a snap from center, or his footwork, much less the playbook, then I'd consider it throwing him to the wolves. It's now months later, not weeks (or even days) later. 

If he is still totally clueless, then the coaching staff should know it, and they shouldn't put him out there. 

If they think he has gotten steadily better in practice, since the summer ended, then he'll be fine. Even if he goes out there and lays a huge egg all game long. Worst that happens is they bench him after that.

He's not getting "permanently damaged" (mentally) by 1 game. I don't know where anyone gets the idea that this is possible or that this has ever happened to an otherwise truly promising prospect.

Do you see how bad Mariota is? Can we all agree he's a better prospect than Petty? If Mariota isn't ready, which he's not even close, then Petty isn't ready. Can we just be patient and allow the Jets to do something right for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's extreme because the kid is not even remotely close to ready. I guess worse things could happen than a couple week trial, but he's going to get laughed off the field, the fanbase will unfairly label him a bust and we'll boo him whenever he gets back in. I for once would like to sit a prospect and truly sit him. If he was ready now then he's taken a Mongolian leap forward in progress. Just don't think it's wise that's all. 

Desperate times call for desperate measures  And its not like its week 1 here.  Either way, he's probably not ready but I think its extreme to say he'll be ruined forever for starting a few Football games.  Just doesnt make sense. What will ruin him?  Getting laughed at?  Come'on. 

If Geno is back at starter then I don't know if I can stand watching more of these games. How are you on your third year in the NFL and so totally unaware and making the same ******* mistakes?

Geno is just dumb as a box of rocks. Twice he takes sacks when he could have easily thrown the ball away. Then he makes a nice run and decides he is Larry Czonka up in here and gets bashed for his mistake in judgement. No, Geno Smith just makes me want to throw stuff at my TV, every time I see him play. Bring in Petty and let him sink or swim.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  He's probably not ready but I think its extreme to say he'll be ruined forever for starting a few Football games.  Just doesnt make sense. What will ruin him?  Getting laughed at?  Come'on. 

I agree. Jet fans are just scared after Sanchez and Geno. This might have to happen. If Geno isn't ready to go then Petty should get the start. He has seen the playbook and he comes off as the type to not be sitting on the bench with his thumb in his ass. A few games till Fitz is ready won't hurt.

Desperate times call for desperate measures  And its not like its week 1 here.  Either way, he's probably not ready but I think its extreme to say he'll be ruined forever for starting a few Football games.  Just doesnt make sense. What will ruin him?  Getting laughed at?  Come'on. 

I think it could David Carr him, but it's also possible Carr just always sucked. I just don't see the benefit in starting him when he's clearly not ready. not just for his sake, but for the betterment of the team. The kid is just not ready/good enough. either way, if the defense doesn't stop being teh suck and the oline continues to let Ivory get hit at the LOS it won't matter who the QB is, we'll be totally effed.  

I think it could David Carr him, but it's also possible Carr just always sucked. I just don't see the benefit in starting him when he's clearly not ready. not just for his sake, but for the betterment of the team. The kid is just not ready/good enough. either way, if the defense doesn't stop being teh suck and the oline continues to let Ivory get hit at the LOS it won't matter who the QB is, we'll be totally effed.  

I dont see how this is anything like David Carr.  He was the immediate, no competition, day 1 starter, for an expansion team with literally zero talent in front of him or around him.  That's not the case with Petty.  It's week 8 and the Jets have given up the fewest sacks in the league (and 3 of them are because Geno's a ******* moron).  He's probably not ready, but what choice do the Jets have if both QB's cant play?

And again, this is a short term fix till the other guys get healthy.  It's not like the Jets are going hand him the keys and turn the offense over to him for good.  Who knows, maybe he's more ready than you think.  And if he's not, then you put him down when the other guys get back and in the very least, he's got some film of himself vs. NFL talent to study and use to improve for the future. 

I'd prefer this to some POS off the street who has no familiarity with the team or system.  If Fitz or Geno were projected to miss the season, I'd agree...lets find a vet...but for a few games?  I see literally zero harm in playing Petty.

I'd prefer this to some POS off the street who has no familiarity with the team or system.  If Fitz or Geno were projected to miss the season, I'd agree...lets find a vet...but for a few games?  I see literally zero harm in playing Petty.

+1 The season isn't over till Jif bangs the Fat chick..:)

Sure! Starting rookies way before they're obviously ready has worked out just swell for us the past decade. Why not?

Funny thing the first year we made the AFCCG and the second time we did it we went 8-8 and beat the Pats at Met Life.. I get your point but the outcome was funny..:)

Archived