The problem with this team.

BallinPB

The whole team plays soft until they are in the hole. It was the problem under Rex for the last several years and it still seems to be the problem. Bowles at least seems to get them motivated once they are in the hole but we can't always play from behind and start playing seriously after the half.

Too many veterans = poor team speed, especially on the edge.  Raiders are an unusually speedy offense and Carr plays with no fear, and I was worried about this game coming in because of that.

We are starting to realize what kind of changes Maccagnan & Bowles will need to make heading into year 2.  Replacing Coples and Pace will be priority #1.  Need to spend either a 1st or 2nd rounder to get younger at LB.  Cro will be replaced by whoever emerges as the #2 opposite Revis.  Cro is not worth the money the way he is playing.

DEPTH and DURABILITY are the most important things on offense.  When we needed Bilal Powell, he wasn't there.  Hopefully the Petty era starts sooner rather than later.  Fitz hurt the whole team by not learning to slide and has potentially changed the direction of the franchise if he misses extended time.

Too many veterans = poor team speed, especially on the edge.  Raiders are an unusually speedy offense and Carr plays with no fear, and I was worried about this game coming in because of that.

We are starting to realize what kind of changes Maccagnan & Bowles will need to make heading into year 2.  Replacing Coples and Pace will be priority #1.  Cro will be replaced by whoever emerges as the #2 opposite Revis.  Cro is not worth the money the way he is playing.

DEPTH is the most important thing on offense.  Hopefully the Petty era starts sooner rather than later.  Fitz hurt the whole team by not learning to slide and has potentially changed the direction of the franchise if he misses extended time.

This guy gets it. Jets lack defensive speed and that is going to be a priority for next season. This season's priority was the secondary

The defense is the single biggest reason we lost the game, they were gashed left and right in the first half.  

- Pryor was missed big time in this game, Bailey was a step late on most plays. 

- Marcus Williams showed everyone today why he is not 1-3 on the depth chart and why we are nowhere close to "sitting Cro and just starting Williams." He missed about 5 tackles, all of which allowed first downs or big-time gains. He too was a step late in coverage and Oakland took advantage of that and routinely targeted him. 

- Tackling in general in the first half was just piss poor, it wasn't just Williams, guys were whiffing all over the place. 

- 3rd and longs haunted us again and it seemed to be when we were only rushing four. I know Carr is one of the best in the league against the rush, but I'd rather give up the 3rd and long going at him hard, than just sitting back and letting him pick us apart. The biggest reason is that we again, have no speed off the edge. This team hasn't had that in years and it shows, especially on 3rd and longs and late in the games. 

- The good news is that we cleaned a lot of it up in the second half and started to make stops once we started to tackle properly again. Still, another sloppy start on the road is cause for concern. 

The offense is hard to fully evaluate when the rock to your offensive line is out for the first time in what seems like a decade and then you couple that with your starting QB getting knocked out in the first drive after he refuses to slide, like a dumbass. Geno hasn't taken a first team rep or meaningful snap in about 10 weeks, but he played okay. He was obviously forcing the ball to Marshall, which was reasons for that first turnover, but I thought he played decent for missing that much time and being tossed in. Couple lackadaisical plays still, something you hoped were gone. Still absolutely hate his body language and he doesn't instill any pride the way Fitzy does.  

- Weren't able to lean on the run game when we got down so early, but Ivory getting hit in the backfield is a growing concern for the last few weeks. 

- If Fitzy is indeed out for a while, the only redeeming aspect is that Geno will be able to get a full week of first team reps and hopefully get back some of the chemistry that he had during preseason. 

- We're still 4-3 with a clear shot at the Wild Card spot and a bunch of AFC teams rolling up, we still control our destiny, absolutely no reason to hang our heads now. 

This is not 1973. You have to be able to score point, lots of them. The Jet don't. It'w why they lost the 3 games they did lose. . The Jets are already heavily invested in terms of cap room, draft picks and free agents in the DL and secondary. Now you tell us it's not enough? Simple fact is defenses, even the best of them, are gonna fail several times a game and have crap games. The idea we need more defense is nonsense. Concerning that despite all the hype this DL does not get to the QB nearly enough, and that's a problem. But if you do not get good QB play, scoring drives that end an TDs, and force the other team to have to score, all the defense in the world is not gonna help.

And if you're down 2 TDs late in the game, MOVE YOUR ASS

How are the Patriots the only team in the league that correctly knows how to manage the clock? Also not punting down two scores on 4th and shorts would be nice.

Patriots, Packers and Saints for the most part.  It's absurd. How can you be around the game of football for your entire life, while making it your profession and handle the clock that poorly is beyond me. 

Patriots, Packers and Saints for the most part.  It's absurd. How can you be around the game of football for your entire life, while making it your profession and handle the clock that poorly is beyond me. 

It cant be that hard, can it? 6 minutes of clock left in a hurry up is an eternity....6 minutes and taking your sweet ass time completely handcuffs you. The Jets shouldnt have huddled all second half tbh

It cant be that hard, can it? 6 minutes of clock left in a hurry up is an eternity....6 minutes and taking your sweet ass time completely handcuffs you. The Jets shouldnt have huddled all second half tbh

Makes no sense. I give the offense a slight pass today, because losing your HOF center who makes all of the line calls and then couple that with having your starting QB getting knocked out, it's hard to evaluate. But there's no excuse for the lack of urgency and then punting down two scores with no time left.  They have a good chance to get back on track next week against Jacksonville, but if they come out flat again, they'll get blown out for the second week in a row.  You simply cannot miss that many tackles in the half of one game and win in the NFL, doesn't matter who you play.  I like Marcus Williams, but he had about as bad of a game as we've had in recent memory.  

Is on defense folks.  Old man Cro, no pass rush and slow LBs.  We've been figured out.

I have to agree on this. I also have to throw in special teams even more than the defense. Yes the defense was horrible, but special teams is a nightmare. You simply cant rely on specials EVER with this team this year. It's like a special kind of bad. I've said my piece regarding Kerley and his punt returns but its even beyond him. Anytime specials is on the field things have a real opportunity to go wrong. 

With that said, the defense played like sh*t today. 

We are starting to realize what kind of changes Maccagnan & Bowles will need to make heading into year 2.  Replacing Coples and Pace will be priority #1.  Need to spend either a 1st or 2nd rounder to get younger at LB.  Cro will be replaced by whoever emerges as the #2 opposite Revis.  Cro is not worth the money the way he is playing.

DEPTH and DURABILITY are the most important things on offense.  When we needed Bilal Powell, he wasn't there.  Hopefully the Petty era starts sooner rather than later.  Fitz hurt the whole team by not learning to slide and has potentially changed the direction of the franchise if he misses extended time.

The O Line needs attention too

they have speed and talent.  the problem is they think they are hot sh*t and they are completely unprepared for when the opponent actually has the nerve to fight, hustle and compete

they are arrogant and soft

talent yes. Speed no

The defense was awful today. Cro was bad. Williams should not be playing at safety. And the injuries to Skrine and McDougle hurt. The LBs leave much to be desired. And the DLine has not played to potential. It's not good. It can be fixed. We'll see next week what is going to happen. 

That said, special teams are being impacted by injuries. I thought they were mostly fine today. 

Both lines were pushed around. Williams is no safety. Cro looks hurt, if not his play is hurting. Coples runs a 4.0 10 yard sprint. Oakland is always a tough place to play. The Jets should have played better.

Geno plays like he is brain dead. He needs to stop thinking big play and just play. Maybe it was the rust. He looked horrible at times. Still making rookie mistakes. Chan should have made the O aware of the time on the clock. Geno sure did not. 

ST looked good until the back breaking hit in the back. That was good field position. Should have just let him make the stop there. 

This is not 1973. You have to be able to score point, lots of them. The Jet don't. It'w why they lost the 3 games they did lose. . The Jets are already heavily invested in terms of cap room, draft picks and free agents in the DL and secondary. Now you tell us it's not enough? Simple fact is defenses, even the best of them, are gonna fail several times a game and have crap games. The idea we need more defense is nonsense. Concerning that despite all the hype this DL does not get to the QB nearly enough, and that's a problem. But if you do not get good QB play, scoring drives that end an TDs, and force the other team to have to score, all the defense in the world is not gonna help.

And if you're down 2 TDs late in the game, MOVE YOUR ASS

This team was built around the defense.  They are not supposed to give up 34 to the raiders. 

not much you can really do when a defensive team sucks on defense.   Geno wasn't even terrible today, the d was a total disaster.   Oakland moved the ball at will and I'm not sure a db even touched a pass all day.   With this much $ invested in the secondary you expect at least a little coverage and it just wasn't there. 

As disgusted as I am with the effort today I still like Chuck Maccagnan a lot and Bowles has been average thus far. I would like to see the jets finally stop overspending on FA's and constantly looking bad on draft day. I like the approach of taking the best player available in the draft and using free agency to fill holes without overspending. Also resigning our own free agents is equally important, I wish we would have paid Austin Howard last year as he is better than Breno "penalty flag" Giacomini. If we continue to draft smart and keep our own FA's that deserve to stay, we should be a contender year in and year out. I like what Dallas has done with their OL. We have an aging line that needs to be rebuilt and I would much rather do it through the draft.

Archived