MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

Morrissey

TODAY: The Dodgers are “showing significant interest” in O’Day, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports (Twitter links). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com previously connected O’Day to the Dodgers. With a number of teams pursuing the veteran, some executives tell Crasnick that a deal well in excess of last year’s Luke Gregerson contract (three years, $18.5MM) could be in order.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CrazyCarl40 @Tyler Durden

Seattle has engaged with the Yankees in preliminary talks regarding Brett Gardner, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports. The 32-year-old faded down the stretch, but nevertheless ended the season with a typically productive overall effort. He’s owed $38MM over three years (including a buyout of a 2019 option), which isn’t exactly cheap but is probably below Gardner’s open-market value. Sherman indicates that New York is in search of controllable starters, and says that the M’s have indicated they are willing to discuss lefty James Paxton in trades. It’s not apparent from the report, though, whether he would play any role in talks on Gardner.

I like it. At worst he's a good replacement for Chris Young. Plus plus speed, plus glove, kills LHP. To be an every day player he's gotta show improvement vs RHP.

Also, while I like Murphy, this opens up room for Gary Sanchez to make the 25 man roster. Certainly shows the confidence they now have in him.

I like it. At worst he's a good replacement for Chris Young. Plus plus speed, plus glove, kills LHP. To be an every day player he's gotta show improvement vs RHP.

Also, while I like Murphy, this opens up room for Gary Sanchez to make the 25 man roster. Certainly shows the confidence they now have in him.

agreed. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Gardner is a goner just yet. Could be a Chris young replacement. Hicks mashed lefties. He has the potential to be really good so we'll see, all likelihood though he's a lefty hitting platoon guy who can play all 3 outfield positions. 

“At the end of the day, I am legitimately really open to any idea,” said Brian Cashman to Bryan Hoch. “I’ve had a lot of bad ones, either thrown by me or on the receiving end from somebody else to me. But that’s what we’re here for, to throw a lot of (stuff) out there and see what sticks.”

He notes New York ramped up their scouting of Mariners lefty James Paxton at the end of the regular season and in the Arizona Fall League. Paxton, 27, had a 3.90 ERA (4.31 FIP) in 67 innings for the Mariners this past season while missing roughly three months with a strained tendon in his left middle finger. He was limited to 74 innings last season (3.04 ERA and 3.28 FIP) due to a severe lat strain. Between MLB and the minors, Paxton has thrown only 160.2 innings from 2014-15 due to injuries.

Sherman says — not specifically related to a potential Gardner trade, just in general — the Yankees are seeking high-end starting pitching they can control beyond 2017.

I hated our 2013 offseason, but the last 2 offseasons I've dug. Cashman is being smart, he's making low risk high reward trades that help us get younger while we wait out these terrible contracts still on the books.

Paxton is under team control through 2019.

I like James Paxton, but I'd like a little more than him for Gardner. Push comes to shove I'd probably do it and roll the dice because of the high upside, but I'm worried Paxton is already 28 years old and in 3 years he has 165 innings pitched.

I like James Paxton, but I'd like a little more than him for Gardner. Push comes to shove I'd probably do it and roll the dice because of the high upside, but I'm worried Paxton is already 28 years old and in 3 years he has 165 innings pitched.

his injuries scare me big time. If Seattle took all of Gardners contract and some lesser prospects I'd probably do it. The upside, the control, the salary changing hands and the flexibility it gives the Yanks this offseason would be too much to pass up. 

pipe dream

•  the D-Backs have inquired on Yankees closer Andrew Miller, whose name has been floated in trade talks, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Talks didn’t progress to the point where any names were exchanged, Rosenthal adds, so the inquiry seems to be preliminary in nature. The D-Backs have a surplus of young infielders and also have plenty of young starting pitching that could entice the Yankees, though the asking price on Miller would undoubtedly be exorbitant.

The Yankees “could make a serious run” at left-hander Wei-Yin Chenreports Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News. A source tells Feinsand that the Yankees will be one of the many teams involved in talks for the Scott Boras client, and in an ideal world, the Yanks would love to add a left-handed starter.

He is decent, but he is the literal definition of a 6 inning pitcher

Overpay for the new Angels GM and former Yankee assistant GM.

While you can say he's the best defensive player in baseball, Simmons bat really hasn't come around.  And Sean Newcomb is a hell of a prospect.

How much better is Simmons than Didi? And we gave up just Shane Greene.

and would lost our first round draft pick. Unless we go all in and sign one of the top 3 starters available, I hope we trade for a starter.

I so worry about those top 3.  They are going to want 6-8 years @25 per.  Just seems like a bad idea.   I don't know what Greinke will want, maybe a little shorter but bigger money.

NOV. 12: Outfielder Colby Rasmus will become the first player ever to accept a qualifying offer, as Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets that he’ll take the one-year, $15.8MM deal extended to him by the Astros.

Ha!  Astros be like "....Dammit.  We're paying a 29-year old, .238/.314 OBP hitter $15.8M....."

Archived