No More excuses for the defense

Jets723

Its funny because all the criticism goes toward the offense and in particular Fitzpatrick/Geno.  The truth is that the Jets lost the past 2 games because of the defense.  Last week the offense did enough to beat the Patriots but the defense blew the game in the second half.  This week the defense got assraped by the Raiders on pretty much every drive.  At least the offense tried to make a impossible comeback.  I understand our defense is the strength of the team but I feel many people let them off the hook way too much. 

No arguing there.  The Jets' defense has been unprepared and dismally slow and weak.  It's Herman Edwards/Rex Ryan all over again.

Yup.  As negative as our fanbase is they never bash the defense at least as much as they deserve.  We have zero pass rush considering all the talent we have up front, we cant tackle, or cover guys it seems. 

Arizona Cardinals haven't lost a beat since Bowles left. 

We have 0 penetration and opposing teams QBs do what they want against us. 

FACT

100% correct.

Where is the real joewilly12 who is wrong 99% of the time.  What did you do with him?  Where is the body buried?  You imposter!

Who knew that oft criticized Calvin Pryor was actually the guys holding everything together? Losing him (and Bowles ridiculous decision to have Marcus Williams play safety) was huge. Hopefully Pryor can get back next week and Williams can go back to corner, where he's had some success. If not, Bailey can't be that bad, or cut an OL and bring up either of the safeties on the practice squad.

Hopefully Skrine and McDougle aren't too banged up either.

And the lack of pass rush is mind boggling. Coples and Pace on the outside has failed. Time to move on and see what Reilly and Maudlin can do.

On paper we have the best defense in the league on the field no so much. Bowles has failed to attack the QB. Where is Coples? 

Playing out of position, mostly.

Marcus Williams' play yesterday just shocked me.  He either got beat, faked out or run over all day.  I'm hoping he, and several others, give Woody back his check for this week.

Another guy who played out of position yesterday. Can't expect a CB to just play safety and be able to tackle like one either. He was SO bad there yesterday.

Who knew that oft criticized Calvin Pryor was actually the guys holding everything together? Losing him (and Bowles ridiculous decision to have Marcus Williams play safety) was huge. Hopefully Pryor can get back next week and Williams can go back to corner, where he's had some success. If not, Bailey can't be that bad, or cut an OL and bring up either of the safeties on the practice squad.

Hopefully Skrine and McDougle aren't too banged up either.

And the lack of pass rush is mind boggling. Coples and Pace on the outside has failed. Time to move on and see what Reilly and Maudlin can do.

coples is useless, davis is a missed tackles machine.  the pass defense went south last week when pryor got hurt and gronk went nuts.  

Arizona Cardinals haven't lost a beat since Bowles left. 

We have 0 penetration and opposing teams QBs do what they want against us. 

FACT

Cardinals may be 6-2 but its their offense that is now leading the way.  The only overall great game their defense has played was vs the hapless 49'ers.

I don't believe so, but I could be mistaken.  I just don't remember the level of complacency, unpreparedness and belief in the power of their own press clippings as we witnessed under Rex and Edwards.

With a healthy Favre in 2008 his defense gave up 48 points to the 8-8 Chargers that was the 3rd game of the season..The 2nd game was a home loss to the Cassel lead Pats.. I never understood the Mangini love who never had a top defense or won a playoff game.. As far as reading press clippings I believe that was Mangini on the Soprano's as Man-genius..

I don't believe so, but I could be mistaken.  I just don't remember the level of complacency, unpreparedness and belief in the power of their own press clippings as we witnessed under Rex and Edwards.

This team has had the same GLARING hole it has had for 10 years and all of our great coaches we have had have been fine with it it seems.  No play making olbs at all.  When we brought pace back, yet again this year I just shook my head.

The dline looks flat out discouraged, since there is not longer such as think as oline holding at all, they seem to only try and bull rush.  Our ILBs line up so close to the line of scrimmage they are consonantly getting washed out.  We either stop the other teams back for -1 yard or he goes for 10 or more.

The secondary has been okay, but only okay except for Cromartie who is a big fat liability out there and should be immediately replaced.

The coaching and schemes the last two games, especially yesteryear are beyond disappointing.  I thought we would play man and blitz the crap out of carr every play early on,. knock him around and make him uncomfortable, instead we played as passive as can be. 

I think it is that head coaching disease that almost all head coaches get, conservativitis, the things they did to become head coaches they suddenly chicken out on.

Playing out of position, mostly.

Another guy who played out of position yesterday. Can't expect a CB to just play safety and be able to tackle like one either. He was SO bad there yesterday.

Look I get and appreciate that Williams was playing out of position.  But I'm talking about him taking stupid angles on tackles or getting stiff armed, etc.  I don't care where you play on D.  Williams should have tackling skills, no?

Teams are attacking the edges and making plays because of our slow LBS. Lets put Maudlin into the  rotation and see what energy at least he can provide

Yes Mauldin who had a horrible block in the back penalty yesterday. Injuries have really crippled this defense. Allen, Pryor, Mauldin (the concussion; he hasn't been the same after that)

And offense, the two QBs, Mangold, Decker was hurt, Marshall was banged up, Amaro, Ivory, Powell.

It's not an excuse, but it is frustrating.

And Cromartie pisses me off as well as the fanbase's reaction to him. He sucks here (injury) two years ago. Goes to Arizona and plays well. People wonder why we didn't sign him. We do sign him this year and he sucks again. And people are angry. 

Cro got absolutely dusted yesterday.  There are times when I think he is either out of it or doesn't give a crap.  He's done.

Its funny because all the criticism goes toward the offense and in particular Fitzpatrick/Geno.  The truth is that the Jets lost the past 2 games because of the defense.  Last week the offense did enough to beat the Patriots but the defense blew the game in the second half.  This week the defense got assraped by the Raiders on pretty much every drive.  At least the offense tried to make a impossible comeback.  I understand our defense is the strength of the team but I feel many people let them off the hook way too much. 

Pi$$ poor tackling and an overall lack of intensity. Gotta put that on Bowles. He better start kicking some a$$ and get this bunch of pretenders going.

While I'm not excusing that performance or the lack of a real pass rush or slow linebackers, I do pose some questions to all of you:

1) What defense(s) in this league would you prefer to have? Denver, Seattle and who?

2) Which defense(s) in this league don't get beat at least a couple of times per year? Any? Seattle gave up 34 to St Louis this year. Do they suck?

The truth is that the way this league is now built, if the opposing QB is having even a worthwhile day, you have to play perfect, mistake-free defense for 60 minutes if you are even going to have a chance. It doesn't make it any easier for them if your offense can't stay on the field either.

Go back and re-ask yourself Question 1 about the QB position. How many did you come up with? There's the real problem. The defense is not the thing preventing this team from contention.

This defense has sucked from the start. The 1st 2 games the defense lived off the mistakes of the opponents. We beat a terrible Miami team that went to London for a vacation, not to play a football game. The Redskins played us tough until their QB started playing for us. Even in the lost to the Patriots, we were only in the game because that team forgot how to catch the football. At least that's what I heard since I didn't watch that game . Yesterday, an offense put it all together and you saw what I have seen all year.

The problem as I see it is our OLBers can't get to the QB and can't cover anyone. It weakens the secondary and the defensive line. If you have our Lbers on the field the smart QB throws the ball either at them or over the top if you use the safeties to cover. If you take them out and insert more DBs, the smart QB runs the ball at the weakened front 7 .

All our linebackers are a problem.

Archived