Kaepernick benched by 9ers

Jetlife33

The San Francisco 49ers aren't stopping at a trade of their star tight ends as they seek a turnaround after a 2-6 start. Their shakeup will also include swapping out quarterback Colin Kaepernick for Blaine Gabbert, a source confirmed Monday night to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter Coach Jim Tomsula had said the team was "evaluating everything," including benching Kaepernick. The 49ers earlier in the day traded tight end Vernon Davis to the Denver Broncos a 2016 seventh-round pick in return for a sixth-round pick in 2016 and 2017. "The key here is how quick can we get him involved, and I think we can do that very fast," Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "That's why we made the move, because we want to get him in here, get him as involved as we possibly can and help this offense continue to move forward."

The 49ers are benching Colin Kaepernick, according to Kyle McLorg of BayAreaSportsGuy.com. With No. 7 heading to the bench, Blaine Gabbert will be under center for Sunday’s game against the Falcons.

NFL: San Diego Chargers at San Francisco 49ers

49ers players were split on Kaepernick and the organization stayed with him as long as it could, Rapoport tweets. Earlier today, head coach Jim Tomsula declined to give Kaepernick a vote of confidence when given the opportunity. Now, we understand why.

It has been said that each game in the 2015 season would be a referendum on Kaepernick’s status as 49ers quarterback going forward. Now that the signal caller is getting benched, it seems like a foregone conclusion that the Niners will cut him before his salary becomes guaranteed for 2016. The 49ers officially have until April 1st to make that call.

Kaepernick, who turns 28 on Tuesday, has completed just 59.3 percent of his pass attempts for 1,615 yards in eight games and he has six touchdown passes against five interceptions. With a career-low passer rating of 78.8 and two consecutive losses against division rivals, one can understand why the 49ers are making this change. Of course, it’s also fair to wonder if Gabbert is capable of playing any better than Kaepernick has been.

Gabbert, the No. 10 overall pick in the 2011 draft, played three seasons for the Jaguars before joining the 49ers in 2014. Over that time, he never had a completion percentage higher than 58.3 or a quarterback rating above 77.4.

Kaperinick is just a skinny Geno with smaller lips.

A tad racist don't you think?  And by skinnier you mean Kaep is an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier...yeah.

I wouldn't trade a 3rd td pick let alone that + Coples.  You guys still overrate the sh-t out of Karpernick he's a glorified geno

While there is a fair amount of that, he has at least performed on the field.  Kaep has career worst rating/QBR this season and they are better then Geno's career highs.

IMHO get Kaep back to a conservative offense like the Jets, it might do him wonders. 

Geno for Kaep maybe a change of scenery does them both good there I said it.................

I can understand why Jets would want Kaep but why would Niners want Geno? Geno is at best depth. They are now in starter-search mode.

This is definitely something to look into. Kaepernick has at least shown that he can play at the highest level. He's a much better option than Geno but also much more expensive. Not sure I'd take the trade unless the 9ers were willing to eat a lot of his contract.

The rumors are starting to fly but realize this, Griffin and Kaepernick have both gone into the toilet.

Griffin isn't good enough to beat out Cousins and Kaepernick is being benched for Gabbert.  Do you

really believe they are going to come here and be successful in the middle of the year???

The rumors are starting to fly but realize this, Griffin and Kaepernick have both gone into the toilet.

Griffin isn't good enough to beat out Cousins and Kaepernick is being benched for Gabbert.  Do you

really believe they are going to come here and be successful in the middle of the year???

Stranger things have happened in the NFL we all want a franchise QB to solidify the position Kaep is the best available. 

Jets would be retarded to pick up keap. He is not gonna make the jets any better, he only throws one way, no touch on the ball what so ever, doesn't read defenses,   and can only work out of the "read option" You guys are better off with Geno, Fitz and petty until next year if there is a suitable QB for the jets in the draft or whatever.

Jets would be retarded to pick up keap. He is not gonna make the jets any better, he only throws one way, no touch on the ball what so ever, doesn't read defenses,   and can only work out of the "read option" You guys are better off with Geno, Fitz and petty until next year if there is a suitable QB for the jets in the draft or whatever.

I wouldn't consider Geno Smith a better option than any QB in the league. 

The Jets are desperate for a QB.

The Jets are desperate for a QB.

I know, but i'm telling you, he(keap) really is not any better than Geno, Kaep is limited as hell. You guys would be throwing everything near you at your screens once you see Kaep play..

and is Fitz done for the season or something? I mean you're a playoff team with Fitz..and maybe Geno too. I have seen worse QBs quarterback playoff teams. How bad is Geno? I seen some games last year that I didn't think he did bad in.

kelly posted this in another thread 

So this is interesting.

The New York Jets are in such bad shape at quarterback they claim to have no idea who will start Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Truth be told, this isn't just a this-week problem; their quarterback issue stretches beyond 2015.While the Jets are looking for an answer, the San Francisco 49ers have reportedly benched their one-time franchise quarterback, Colin Kaepernick. The timing is most curious, considering the NFL trade deadline is 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

Could the Jets make a trade for Kaepernick? Logistically, it's not out of the question.That massive six-year, $114 million contract he signed last year is team-friendly because there is no fully guaranteed money beyond what's owed to him for the remainder of this season, $5.5 million. He has six years, $77.2 million left on the deal, through 2020, but it's deceiving.Right now, Kaepernick's 2016 salary ($11.9 million) is guaranteed for injury only -- which, of course, would present a risk for the Jets if he were to suffer a severe injury this year. It could put them on the hook for that $11.9 million. The salary becomes fully guaranteed next April 1.

The bigger question: Is Kaepernick salvageable? He's having a poor season, continuing a two-year decline. There have been reports that he has alienated teammates. On the other hand, we're talking about a quarterback who started in the Super Bowl after the 2012 season ... a player with a 4-2 playoff record ... a guy who is only 26 years old. In fact, he turns 26 today.The way Kaepernick's deal is structured, the Jets could bring him on for the remainder of the season without having to make a long-term commitment. In essence, he'd be a hired gun, charged with getting a win-now team to the playoffs. If it doesn't work out, they can cut or trade him before April 1.

On Monday, Todd Bowles was cagey when discussing Ryan FitzpatrickGeno SmithBryce Petty and his options. No doubt, there was an element of gamesmanship in his comments, especially if they're exploring trades -- and he acknowledged they are. Bowles didn't want to tip his hand or hurt the team's leverage in trade talks, so he basically revealed nothing.At one point, he didn't rule out the possibility of this week's starter not being on the current roster. Hmm. He'd have to be a pretty accomplished player to walk in and be handed the starting job.

The 49ers probably could get more for Kaepernick by waiting to the offseason, when teams are in a re-booting mode. Right now, it would depend on a team such as the Jets succumbing to desperation, making an offer they can't refuse.Hey, the Jets might be desperate. I find it hard to believe Fitzpatrick (torn ligament in non-throwing thumb) will be ready anytime soon. Do they really want to entrust their season to a banged-up Smith?

Obviously, there are many variables to a potential trade. Would the Jets surrender a high draft pick? Would they include someone such as linebacker Quinton Coples? We know general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't afraid of high-profile moves. Dealing for Kaepernick would be a game-changer, a season-changer and, potentially, a franchise-changer.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55693/could-qb-needy-jets-pull-off-a-trade-for-49ers-colin-kaepernick

Archived