Fitzpatrick to start

InstantClassic

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to know how hurt Geno is? If a guy like Fitz with a torn up thumb gets the start over a healthy Geno please just CUT HIM & bring in Flynn as a backup. 

He's just a cancer standing there with his mopey face on the sideline. Like others have said, if the coach has no confidence just cut the freaking cord already. They're probably worried about him getting booed at home on his 1st incompletion. Geno is toast in NY.

I'd love to know how hurt Geno is? If a guy like Fitz with a torn up thumb gets the start over a healthy Geno please just CUT HIM & bring in Flynn as a backup. 

He's just a cancer standing there with his mopey face on the sideline. Like others have said, if the coach has no confidence just cut the freaking cord already. They're probably worried about him getting booed at home on his 1st incompletion. Geno is toast in NY.

I usually read posts without look at who the poster  is. For some reason, I can always tell when you are posting and it's not meant to be a compliment. 

NFL players play hurt all the time. It's his NON-throwing hand. If he can handle the pain, there is no reason for him not to play.

If it's all about handling pain why didn't he finish Sunday? A torn ligament doesn't heal in 3 days. I'm sick of this team wasting time with Geno Smith. The fact that he can't beat out a broken Fitzpatrick tells me everything I need to know. I had high hopes he could turn things around. Why would we want him as a backup? This team just keeps spinning their wheels with players that add nothing to the organization. Coples & Pace are the other ones, resigning Cromarty at 7 million too? Mac needs to have a great offseason again by cutting the dead weight dragging down this team & salary cap.

I usually read posts without look at who the poster  is. For some reason, I can always tell when you are posting and it's not meant to be a compliment. 

NFL players play hurt all the time. It's his NON-throwing hand. If he can handle the pain, there is no reason for him not to play.

like I tell others, you don't like it move on to something else, I don't give a flying F*ck what you think! I'm tired of the Geno drama, the team needs to move on.

If it's all about handling pain why didn't he finish Sunday? A torn ligament doesn't heal in 3 days. I'm sick of this team wasting time with Geno Smith. The fact that he can't beat out a broken Fitzpatrick tells me everything I need to know. I had high hopes he could turn things around. Why would we want him as a backup? This team just keeps spinning their wheels with players that add nothing to the organization. Coples & Pace are the other ones, resigning Cromarty at 7 million too? Mac needs to have a great offseason again by cutting the dead weight dragging down this team & salary cap.

I didn't know they had an MRI machine on the sidelines

Jetster,

One thing just to add is that the main reason Fitz is in better shape to play now rather than in the last game is now the trainers made a special protective glove that he didn't have in the last game. He can now have more support there than when they just slapped tape on it in the game, which would have been dangerous to play with and Dirty clowns like Woodson would have tried to rip the whole thumb right off his hand. Yes I am teed about that sine if it would have happened to Brady or Rodgers the league would have been up in arms. In any event, I get your feeling with Geno since I am way more comfortable with Fitz going in in his condition than Geno if fully healthy. But, keep in mind other aspects of this, you never know if in the offseason some team is stupid enough to give us something for Geno, though I doubt it. But, the coaches and GM probably figure Geno as a backup is no worse than Flynn so why bother with swapping them. 

Yes, but is he going to start fvcking sliding?

it's really freaking annoying about the sliding.  the rule is there to protect QB and yet ours doesn't want to take advantage.  It's not like he's fighting for a first down.  I have thought that this had the chance to lead to bad news and unfortunately it did.  really disappointed as we have a decent season. '

he's been told by the staff to do this and yet he refuses.  i don't get it.

Bowles was quoted as showing confidence in Geno this week.

Marshall showed Geno support on Inside the NFL.  Saying to give the kid a break and,  “When Geno settled down, I thought he played amazing,” Marshall said. “I thought he played with a lot of grit. I thought he conducted himself well.”

Douzable on SNY also supported Geno.

So don't think there's any lack of support from the team for Geno.  Just some fans and media.

Geno is just so bad. Time to open up that roster spot.

Even if this were true (which obviously I don't think is the case), no one we bring in at this point will be a better option than Geno.  If Fitz can't play or goes down with some other injury, we'd have to resort to putting in Petty.  So Geno isn't going anywhere.

I'm a strong Geno supporter, but this is all great news.  Went from possibly Fitz, Geno and Mangold out this week.  Now it seems both QBs will be ready to roll and perhaps even Mangold.  I'm confident in either Fitz or Geno (with a slight edge to Geno).  But I'll take it and root for whichever QB in under center. 

Now what's up with the Marshall and Decker?  Any news there?

Not completely.  He still needs to grip the ball to take snap, and hand the ball off.  It's not just a pain threshold injury. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14052889/ryan-fitzpatrick-start-newyork-jets-thumb-injury

Fitzpatrick, who tore at least one ligament in his left thumb, and backup Geno Smith, who suffered a bruised shoulder in Sunday's loss to the Raiders, participated in the early portion of Wednesday's practice, neither one showing any ill effects from his injury.

I agree.....going into this season I also had hope Geno would take the next step and become a solid starter and more consistent, but after watching what Fitz, a smart (other than not sliding), average veteran can do with this team then watching Geno take over it opened my eyes to just how bad he is and how much he is lacking as an NFL starter.

Maybe it's because it has been so long since we've seen a competent NFL starting QB wear the green and white for this team, I had false hope Geno would be sufficient and effective this season. After watching Fitzpatrick play a couple months, then immediately seeing Geno take over the difference was immense. He holds onto the ball way too long, it seems if his first read isn't open he panics, he doesn't throw it away even when he is out of the pocket and time is against us, etc.

Hopefully at worst Fitz can stay healthy and finish the season and take the job into next year til Petty is ready, because I do not want to have that hopeless feeling I had Sunday when Geno was in, knowing we were incapable of coming back and winning the game.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

I agree.....going into this season I also had hope Geno would take the next step and become a solid starter and more consistent, but after watching what Fitz, a smart (other than not sliding), average veteran can do with this team then watching Geno take over it opened my eyes to just how bad he is and how much he is lacking as an NFL starter.

I fully admit to also being on the 'start Geno and hope he can take the next step' train.. but after seeing him twice fail to realize he needed to throw the ball away and/or get out of bounds, I'd be willing to deep throat Fitz thumb if that would help in any way get him back on that field.

Makes me like Fitz that much more. Last best chance for him to QB a team of this caliber. He's saying F my thumb. I'll suck it up and worry about it after the season. He gets my full support the rest of the year  

This is what a true leader days. I hope Eugene is taking notes for his next team 

Stupid move by the Jets, but what does anyone expect?  I guess this closes the book on Geno and we need to look at Petty because the Jets coaching staff would rather trot the limited JAG out there instead of see what the 3rd year talented guy can do in a new scheme with better coaching and skill players. Should have just trade him. Stupid, "only the next game matters" like this are what keeps crappy organizations like ours crappy. Not that come Sunday I will not root for Fitz, but just a dumb move. 

Stupid move by the Jets, but what does anyone expect?  I guess this closes the book on Geno and we need to look at Petty because the Jets coaching staff would rather trot the limited JAG out there instead of see what the 3rd year talented guy can do in a new scheme with better coaching and skill players. Should have just trade him. Stupid, "only the next game matters" like this are what keeps crappy organizations like ours crappy. Not that come Sunday I will not root for Fitz, but just a dumb move. 

that's the problem.  they saw geno play.  he makes mistakes a high school kid doesn't make. 

I'm usually with ya on the Geno > Fitz arguments, but this is a bit much.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer to see Geno start, but Fitz has earned some respect and Geno did make some bonehead decisions (mainly taking unnecessary sacks).  

Up until last Sunday, Fitz was the starter.  Both QBs gpt banged up.  No one really knows who's affected more from the injuries.  So if both equal, Fitz I'd imagine should still be the starter in Bowles's mind.

At least Geno did show he can run the offense (2 TDs to only 1 INT) w/o even any 1st team practice reps and also showed heart taking that hit.  Just like they said on Inside the NFL, it may have been dumb taking the hit, but Geno took it to show he's busting his ass for the team.  If he ran out of bounds, guarantee you some here would be calling him a punk.  Moving forward though, Geno if you read this, GTF out of bounds! 

As a Geno supporter, yes Fitz still starting, but I think this improves Geno's standing moving forward.

Now I'd normally say "trust in Bowles", but some doubts are starting to creep in about him.  The last 5 quarters from this team have been horrible and heartless.  Especially on D which is supposed to be his specialty and our strength.  If his team does the same this week, Bowles needs to be getting some serious criticism.  Until that point though, hope him and Fitz can get things back on track this Sunday.

it's really freaking annoying about the sliding.  the rule is there to protect QB and yet ours doesn't want to take advantage.  It's not like he's fighting for a first down.  I have thought that this had the chance to lead to bad news and unfortunately it did.  really disappointed as we have a decent season. '

he's been told by the staff to do this and yet he refuses.  i don't get it.

I agree it's frustrating. He's competitive, and I love the fire, but he's gotta learn. He can't compete from the sidelines.

Archived