Cimini: Gap between Fitz and Geno wider than ever

AFJF

My conquering hero?  Hardly that. I think he is an average QB at best.  On his very best day he is an average QB.  The only problem for Geno fanboys such as yourself is that average puts him about 16 spots better than Geno.

You see where a one-handed Fitzpatrick is preferred by this coaching staff over a two-handed Geno Smith?  You saw that part right?  So the whole "Geno was outplaying Fitz" in training camp is just so much hogwash and it always was that.  Geno fanboy wishful-thinking hogwash.  I am guessing that your only hope now lies in Fitzpatrick getting hurt again which is probably the only way you will ever get to see Geno Smith start another NFL game in his lifetime.

Amazing that some of Geno's biggest supporters don't see that as a wake-up call.  He's been back on the field practicing with the team for several weeks after "winning" the QB competition and based on that extensive look, they're going with a guy who can't grip the ball properly.

That being said, I think we see Geno on Sunday after Fitz takes a shot or two to that hand.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gino's reaction toFitzgerald getting the nod to start this week tells me everything I need to know about him. sumply put, he's nothing but a big crybaby and a whiner.we don't need guys like this guy on this team.

If he were a true leader, he'd be the first to support this move and first to encourage his teammates to better prepare for the Jaguars by being the best guy on the practice field. I can't wait till Petty is ready to replace him.

Gino's reaction toFitzgerald getting the nod to start this week tells me everything I need to know about him. sumply put, he's nothing but a big crybaby and a whiner.we don't need guys like this guy on this team.

If he were a true leader, he'd be the first to support this move and first to encourage his teammates to better prepare for the Jaguars by being the best guy on the practice field. I can't wait till Petty is ready to replace him.

Ella?

Joking aside I think from him comment that he is reading a message in there

Fitzpatrick won over the locker room a long time ago, which is a huge factor in determining playing time in a team sport.  This team is going to live and die with Fitzpatrick for the rest of this season as long as he's able to play.

Geno needs to stay focused in his current role and prepare for situations like last week.  Chances are he'll see some action again this season.

For the first time in a long time, we finally have a backup quarterback who is not totally hopeless if he needs to step in during a game and produce.  The media and some fans are being very harsh in terms of his performance last week..  He wasn't great, but for a backup quarterback with limited reps and preparation with the starters, he did a reasonably good job.  Some rust needs to be expected.

For the time being, Geno has not done enough to unseat Fitzpatrick.

Geno's future IS elsewhere. Plus, the arm strength issue is moot. Geno WAY underthrew his only deep pass and it was picked, so what does that say about his supposed arm strength. Geno is a below average QB who will be a journeyman backup the rest of his "career"

What ever you think of Geno, if you are being objective, which you aren't, you will know he tried to throw it with "touch" and under thew Marshall.  Being rusty can do that to you.  It had nothing to do with his arm strength.   The bigger issue with him is his lack of game/field position situational awareness.   

Here's my honest opinion-up until the punch heard round the league, Geno was the starter based on all indications.  But I think Bowles values leadership qualities and perception from teammates when it comes to the QB position.  The lack of support from his teammates after that punch spoke volumes.  Pretty much everyone said Geno didn't deserve to be punched, but that he bore responsibility in the incident.  So when you have 2 guys with relatively equal talent, you have to go with the one that the locker room respects more.  Plain as day.  I think Bowles is a bit disgusted with Geno, and I think it showed on the field against OAK.  When we punted on that late 4th down I think that had a lot more to do with Geno than it did with the situation.  Had Geno thrown the ball away to stop the clock like he should have and hustled back trying to get the team ready by huddling I really think we would have gone for it there.  Instead he was way out 15 yards deep on the sideline looking off into space not even knowing the clock was running.  I honestly think Bowles was so disgusted with Geno at that moment he just sent the punt team rather than using a timeout.  I'm not saying that was necessarily the right thing to do as a coach, but at that point it was plain as day Geno has absolutely zero leadership skills or smarts whatsoever.  And I think that's why we're trotting out a 1 armed Fitz out there over him. 

Montana and Young didn't get along Geno at least talks to Fitz..:)

I happen to know that Geno has ADD, takes medicine for it & you can imagine how that affects a QB that has to make split second decisions. His mind wanders & he can't stay focused on the task at hand. There is a reason why he makes the worst decisions that utmost worst time. I guarantee you he's a horrible chess player & Fitz is a Chess king.

Fitz understands what's needed based on down & distance. He knows how to use his cadence to keep defenders at bay. He knows how to realign a TE, or RB to force the defense to commit so he has a better chance of figuring out what the defense is trying to do. The only thing he's really done poorly this year is not sliding to protect himself. But he controls the LOS & the team looks so much more professional. 

And I wanted Geno to be the answer. He's not cut out to be an NFL starter, he's way too inconsistent. I think he'll be a career backup in a Jason Campbell, Matt Moore, Chad Henne mold.

I happen to know that Geno has ADD, takes medicine for it & you can imagine how that affects a QB that has to make split second decisions. His mind wanders & he can't stay focused on the task at hand. There is a reason why he makes the worst decisions that utmost worst time. I guarantee you he's a horrible chess player & Fitz is a Chess king.

Fitz understands what's needed based on down & distance. He knows how to use his cadence to keep defenders at bay. He knows how to realign a TE, or RB to force the defense to commit so he has a better chance of figuring out what the defense is trying to do. The only thing he's really done poorly this year is not sliding to protect himself. But he controls the LOS & the team looks so much more professional. 

And I wanted Geno to be the answer. He's not cut out to be an NFL starter, he's way too inconsistent. I think he'll be a career backup in a Jason Campbell, Matt Moore, Chad Henne mold.

Seriously, do you really think any team , even the Jets, would draft a guy to play QB that has ADD?  

most people with ADD have selective focus.  they can laser focus the crap outta something they are interested in.  no excuse

You do understand that this is the same child that wanted to storm out of the NFL Draft, only to have his momma pull him back by the ear? The same child that decided to be an idiot on an airplane post 9-11? The same child that missed a pre-road game meeting on a West Coast trip and said he went to a movie and forgot to "set his watch", even though Cell Phones auto set based on their time zones?

And you think the communication problem may lie with the sender rather than the receiver? OK.....

So, Geno Smith is taking his ball and going home.

The West Virginia quarterback had dreams of grandeur and believed he was destined to be a high selection in Thursday's first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. After 32 picks, Smith still was in the green room, with cameras repeatedly showing his sullen demeanor.

Smith told ESPN's Suzy Kolber that he's going home instead of returning to Radio City Music Hall for Friday's second and third rounds. Smith declined interviews but briefly said he wasn't surprised with the developments and would "play with a chip on his shoulder, even bigger than the one he had before."

Geno Smith won't return for Day 2 of 2013 NFL Draft?

There's no problem with Smith being disappointed. As a competitor, he should be. And he should use this as motivation. But it's not a good move to decline interviews, pout and go home.

Being a leader is all about standing up and taking the good with the bad. Smith didn't hesitate to give interview after interview leading up to the draft and basking in the glow of all the hype in New York. He's the biggest story of the draft right now, and he's going to steal home without talking to anyone?

This isn't a good impression to leave on NFL teams and those who questioned Smith's leadership and character in pressure situations. Smith will have to stand up in front of the media and take his lumps after a bad day when he throws three interceptions in a loss. This is no different.

I'm not trying to pile on Smith. He seems like a good guy with a ton of potential, but he shouldn't have been a first-rounder in the first place. The quarterbacks haven't slipped. They're going where they should.

Schein: Round 1 winners, losers
0ap1000000053195.jpgAdam Schein says the Vikings knocked it out of the park in Round 1 of the 2013 NFL Draft. The Jets? Not so much. More ... 

Smith had an opportunity to stand up, bow his chest and show the world that he isn't fazed by a little adversity. Alabama running back Eddie Lacy brought two suits with the knowledge that he might have had to return Friday.

Smith decided to slink away. He seemed above that.

UPDATE: It appears Smith has changed course. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday that Smith has decided to remain in New York, but Lacy planned to go home after not being drafted in the first round.

What ever you think of Geno, if you are being objective, which you aren't, you will know he tried to throw it with "touch" and under thew Marshall.  Being rusty can do that to you.  It had nothing to do with his arm strength.   The bigger issue with him is his lack of game/field position situational awareness.   

You must be joking, what did he do? Throw into double or triple coverage on that play? You would think that a 3rd year player would know that and instead throw to a 2nd option...the guy will never get it.

You must be joking, what did he do? Throw into double or triple coverage on that play? You would think that a 3rd year player would know that and instead throw to a 2nd option...the guy will never get it.

The thing is that MOST of the league already knew all of this about Smith even before Idzik took him

I know. And totally no other Jets QB, with 5x more experience, has done that this year! One who's never made boneheaded decisions at the close of games that ended up as losses (or that unnecessarily risked the season and got one knocked out of a game). Good call!

Geno is chiefly not going back out there because he has neither the confidence of his coaches or fellow players. (Well, Brandon Marshall has some confidence in him, but then again Brandon Marshall doesn't, so it evens out). 

Neither is a particularly good QB. But if you have 2 below-average QBs to choose from, it's understandable going with the one who the rest of the team responds to. I'm sure everyone knows he's more physically gifted but there's far more to the position. I have little doubt he's conducted himself as a complete dickwad even outside of the IK incident and is a hard guy for players to rally around. Ryan Leaf had physical gifts and a lot of good it did him. Now Geno isn't nearly as bad as Leaf (on the field, anyway), but he's also not nearly good enough for other players to get past his douchebagness. 

If neither QB is going to be tearing it up for them, then the very least a QB can provide is leadership. One has those skills and the other has none of it. 

The thing is that MOST of the league already knew all of this about Smith even before Idzik took him

What did most of the league know about Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, or any number of guys who fell out of round 1 (or out of round 5, or out of the draft altogether)?

He wasn't over-drafted at the time. It's just that the draft isn't a sure thing. Sometimes you pick bad guys higher, sometimes you get great ones later. It happens.

Plus throw in a little bit of the entire position getting over-drafted in general because of its importance. It's not like other positions so full "best player available" doesn't necessarily apply; a great safety replacing a bad one won't help as much as even a just-ok QB replacing a bad one.

The pick was a very good value pick at the time.  We did not draft him in the 1st round, we picked two players before him.  We did not trade up to get him.  He was still considered one of the best QBs in that draft class even if it was weak.  Taking a risk on a QB at that point in the draft when we needed one regardless was a good move.  It didn't pan out but the team still had Richardson and Milliner.  Geno is not going to be the QB for the Jets long term but in the end it was a worthwhile risk. (And believe me I am not a Geno supporter at all.)

Seriously, do you really think any team , even the Jets, would draft a guy to play QB that has ADD?  

I'm telling you that I know this, I can't tell you how I know this because I don't want how I found out to hurt the persons career that told me. Just know that it was Rex last camp in Cortland when I got this info. It's true.

The pick was a very good value pick at the time.  We did not draft him in the 1st round, we picked two players before him.  We did not trade up to get him.  He was still considered one of the best QBs in that draft class even if it was weak.  Taking a risk on a QB at that point in the draft when we needed one regardless was a good move.  It didn't pan out but the team still had Richardson and Milliner.  Geno is not going to be the QB for the Jets long term but in the end it was a worthwhile risk. (And believe me I am not a Geno supporter at all.)

did you happen to see what "expert" Adam Schein had to say about the Sheldon pick?

"Taking Sheldon Richardson at No. 13 made no sense, especially when Floyd and Lotulelei were still there at the DT position.

And the Jets could've used some help on offense -- unless you liked the buttfumble."

Neither is a particularly good QB. But if you have 2 below-average QBs to choose from, 

Fitz has done a particularly good job at shoring up the Jets QB position which has been a long-term disaster for us. Is this so difficult to admit, especially when it's so clear now?

I know a lot of us are emotionally vested in pining for QBs elsewhere, but give some credit where it's due - Fitz has unquestionably been a good QB for the Jets. 

Fitz has done a particularly good job at shoring up the Jets QB position which has been a long-term disaster for us. Is this so difficult to admit, especially when it's so clear now?

I know a lot of us are emotionally vested in pining for QBs elsewhere, but give some credit where it's due - Fitz has unquestionably been a good QB for the Jets. 

Fitz being the best option of a group of poor choices does not make him particularly good. He isn't. 

Fitz being the best option of a group of poor choices does not make him particularly good. He isn't. 

Through the first 6 games he's been above average. Does it last? Hopefully...but to say he hasnt been at least good so far is misleading.

Through the first 6 games he's been above average. Does it last? Hopefully...but to say he hasnt been at least good so far is misleading.

No, he has not been "particularly good," which is what I was responding to. Has he been better than Geno Smith? Yes. Has he been better than Bryce Petty? Yes. That doesn't make him particularly good. 

agreed

the slide was a bad decision ... Along with some bad luck 

there has also been a fair share of bad tosses / poor results on plays

HOWEVER

there has been plenty more good decisions, tosses, & results than bad

Fitz has been Above Average as the QB of the NYJ

No, he has not been "particularly good," which is what I was responding to. Has he been better than Geno Smith? Yes. Has he been better than Bryce Petty? Yes. That doesn't make him particularly good. 

What exactly is your criteria then? If you're grading him on a Rodgers scale then yeah- probably not good. But in context with the other 32 QB's in football this year he's been good. He's like 10th in DVOA, top 7 in QBR...what's the Sperm QB grade look like?

Archived