Dee Milliner dept. : jets have less than a week to make a decision ~ ~ ~

kelly

— Dee Milliner has now been back at practice for two weeks, which leaves the Jets with only five more days to decide whether to place him on the 53-man roster or to shut him down for the season.Milliner, a cornerback and 2013 first-round draft pick, had wrist surgery in August, and he was placed on injured reserve/designated for return just before the start of the regular season. That meant he couldn't practice until after Week 6 and couldn't be added to the roster until after Week 8, which is this week.

Head coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday that Milliner's health is no longer an issue; Milliner is ready and able to return.

"It's just a roster decision at this point," Bowles said.

Milliner had officially returned to practice on Oct. 21, or just after Week 6. According to the injured reserve/designated to return rules (also known as short-term IR), the Jets have 21 days from that date to place Milliner on the 53-man roster—which would give them until Tuesday at 4 p.m. to do so.

If the Jets don't put Milliner back on the roster by that time, they'll have to put him on season-ending injured reserve.Milliner, who is under contract for one more season (with a team option for 2017), declined an interview request on Thursday, saying he wouldn't speak to the media until he's active again.Milliner has battled injuries since the Jets selected him No. 9 overall in 2013; he only played 16 games in his first two seasons, and he missed most of last season with an Achilles tear. He's also dealt with injuries to his hamstring, quadriceps, and ankle. 

The Jets currently have six cornerbacks on the 53-man roster: Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams, Darrin Walls, and Dexter McDougle.Bowles wouldn't reveal anything about the Jets' plans for Milliner, both in terms of where he might fit in the rotation and whether the team even planned to activate him by Tuesday's deadline.

"At the moment, he's just practicing," Bowles said. "If we can make room for him, we'll bring him up. If we can't, we won't."

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/whats_the_latest_on_dee_milliners_status_with_jets.html#incart_river

walls is a JAG cut him and lets get milliner get some reps, he may replace cro next year

I agree with this. I think Bowles is trying to light a fire under Milliner. I still think Milliner has he ability to be a really good NFL corner. Cutting him loose would  be a big mistake especially considering the ages of Revis and Cro. 

walls is a JAG cut him and lets get milliner get some reps, he may replace cro next year

I agree with this. I think Bowles is trying to light a fire under Milliner. I still think Milliner has he ability to be a really good NFL corner. Cutting him loose would  be a big mistake especially considering the ages of Revis and Cro. 

CrazyCarl will have an aneurysm if this happens.

Can't believe they drafted Milliner before Sheldon Richardson.

Also can't believe the pats selected Aaron Dobson instead of Eddie Lacy, Larry Warford, Honey badger, keenan allen....

Draft successes in Patriot history:  Getting lucky and landing Brady in the 6th round of the 2000 draft.

Draft failures in Patriot history:  Basically every draft after.

X-factor helping make it all a success:  Institutional cheating.

You gotta give Dee another shot, he was playing before he got hurt and we'll need a replacement for Cro next year.  I don't think he should be 100% relied on but you gotta start working him in and see what you got.

He was the 9th overall pick in the draft.

After 3 years you want to "slowly work him in and see what you got"?

Wow.

Yes. Let's cut the one guy who actually makes plays and tackles well on special teams.

CrazyCarl will have an aneurysm if this happens.

Not really. I think it would be foolish, but I'd be happy for the guy because he'd be snatched up by a CB hungry team and be starting in an instant.

I assumed he already had one considering his love for Walls.

Nope. Healthier than anyone on this board I bet!

He was the 9th overall pick in the draft.

After 3 years you want to "slowly work him in and see what you got"?

Wow.

He wasn't drafted by this regime.  The person responsible for drafting him is gone as well as the coach who couldn't develop him.  In their place is a HC who was a former secondary coach and a GM who handed him a brand new secondary that has mostly had some good success this year.  So yes, a heavily injury prone Milliner will like be worked in slowly to see what he can do.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  We've already discussed ad nauseum how much of a failure pile Idzik's drafts were.

Yes. Let's cut the one guy who actually makes plays and tackles well on special teams.

Not really. I think it would be foolish, but I'd be happy for the guy because he'd be snatched up by a CB hungry team and be starting in an instant.

Nope. Healthier than anyone on this board I bet!

Right on time.

If you can't find room for a #1 pick on a 53 man roster, oh boy!:unsure:

forget about the pick at this stage he's been a pro for 3 years and from the sample size we have he stinks. he probably stinks in practice as well or he would have cracked the line up by now

@Connor_J_Hughes: Bowles says Milliner activation depends on injury situation

Bowles is an idiot if he keeps Cro out there. Cro is pathetic who can't cover himself, let alone a defender. Milliner activation is a no brainer. Who do we release? Don't really care which ST'er we release. The way Cro is playing, he needs to be replaced and to stop the 'ripple-effect'. I don't Cro to have anything to do with football right now. Bench his lousy ass for a couple of wks and see if it lights up.

Bowles is an idiot if he keeps Cro out there. Cro is pathetic who can't cover himself, let alone a defender. Milliner activation is a no brainer. Who do we release? Don't really care which ST'er we release. The way Cro is playing, he needs to be replaced and to stop the 'ripple-effect'. I don't Cro to have anything to do with football right now. Bench his lousy ass for a couple of wks and see if it lights up.

Agreed. Cro let this game be way closer than it should have been with that horrible coverage at the end of the half. I'd be happy if I didn't see Cro for the rest of the year. Part of his 7 million should have been used to get another starting guard in here, is anyone shocked that Colon has broken down again?

I think Nick Folk's injury really complicates everything. Which stinks because Skrine and Cromartie have not been good the last two weeks. Williams and Walls have been markedly better. Have to wait and see tomorrow who is practicing and who isn't. Short week compounds everything. 

The Jets currently have six cornerbacks on the 53-man roster: Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams, Darrin Walls, and Dexter McDougle.Bowles wouldn't reveal anything about the Jets' plans for Milliner, both in terms of where he might fit in the rotation and whether the team even planned to activate him by Tuesday's deadline.

They only have 5 cbs, and Cromartie

They only have 5 cbs, and Cromartie

McDougle is the low man on the totem pole based on today's snaps. 

— This is a busy week for the Jets, and not just because they only have three days to prepare for Thursday night's game against the Bills, which just so happens to be former head coach Rex Ryan's big return to MetLife Stadium, in case you weren't aware.

The Jets are banged up, especially in the secondary, where they're down to two healthy safeties; and on the offensive line, where one starter (right guard Willie Colon/knee) didn't play during Sunday's win against the Jaguars, and another (center Nick Mangold/neck) left the game with a lingering injury.They're also without a kicker, now that Nick Folk is out at least four weeks with a right quad strain. And that's not even all of it. (The complete Jets injury roundup can be found here.)

Some roster shuffling is in order, and two moves can be made Tuesday. But the decisions won't be easy ones, given the number of injuries."I mean, everybody goes through it," head coach Todd Bowles said. "You have guys on your team for a reason. You have to understand why they're on your team, so when you put them in there, you have to make sure you understand what they do. Injuries are going to happen, the thing is you have to win despite them."

First, there's cornerback Dee Milliner, a 2013 first-round pick. The deadline for Milliner to come off short-term injured reserve—where he's been since the start of the season due to a wrist injury—is 4 p.m. Tuesday. If the Jets don't activate Milliner by that time, they will be forced to place him on season-ending injured reserve.Bowles has said Milliner is healthy. And given all of the injuries in the secondary, the Jets seem likely to add him to the 53-man roster.

Second, the Jets have to sign a placekicker. They had four—Billy Cundiff, Garrett Hartley, Kyle Brindza, Randy Bullock—in for a workout on Monday. Tuesday afternoon is the Jets' only opportunity for a full practice before Thursday's game. One of those kickers is going to get signed.

The hard part, however, is how to free up those roster spots.

The Jets could place Folk on IR—Bowles acknowledged it was "possible"—but that would be a tough call because Folk is a better kicker than any of the four the Jets worked out. It's also possible Folk could be ready before the end of the season.

Another option could be to waive/injured Bailey, then to add him to the practice squad after he clears waivers. But if the Jets don't put Folk on IR, given how thin they are along the offensive line and in the secondary, making one other cut won't be an easy call.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/jets_have_two_big_roster_decisions_to_make_tuesday.html#incart_river

They cut Graham and Hakim in August.

The hard part, however, is how to free up those roster spots.

The Jets could place Folk on IR—Bowles acknowledged it was "possible"—but that would be a tough call because Folk is a better kicker than any of the four the Jets worked out. It's also possible Folk could be ready before the end of the season.

Another option could be to waive/injured Bailey, then to add him to the practice squad after he clears waivers. But if the Jets don't put Folk on IR, given how thin they are along the offensive line and in the secondary, making one other cut won't be an easy call.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/jets_have_two_big_roster_decisions_to_make_tuesday.html#incart_river

I would assume they are going to do both. 

Archived