Can Reilly, Mauldin be far Behind Struggling Coples?

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   It’s not much of a secret anymore.  No matter how Todd Bowles spins it, starting outside linebacker Quinton Coples is losing his grip on his starting job, and one has to wonder if second-year player Trevor Reilly or rookie Lorenzo Mauldin are nipping at Coples’ heels. Viewed largely as a disappointment […]

Click here to read the full story...

if you look at the play counts, the OLB's just aren't getting reps at all.  its harris, davis and DB's

Wondering how long it'll be Davis if he keeps struggling.  Wouldn't be shocked if we start seeing more Erin Henderson or Lattimore.

We've lacked any type of speed on the edge since Abe and it's absolutely brutal.  If Coples' contract wasn't so prohibitive, it'd be nice to swing him for someone like Irvin or anyone with speed.  Dude also plays better as a 5 tech than an OLB, so I suppose one could use him for leverage if Sheldon keeps on dumbassing. 

When you put a square peg into a round hole and then are surprised when it doesn't fit, that's not on the square peg. 

Gonna be really interesting to see what kind of career he has if somebody puts him back on the D-line.

When you put a square peg into a round hole and then are surprised when it doesn't fit, that's not on the square peg. 

I think that the HC is trying to get his best players on the field at all times. QC is misplaced as an OLB. None the less, it is his position. He is severely under performing. 

I think that the HC is trying to get his best players on the field at all times. QC is misplaced as an OLB. None the less, it is his position. He is severely under performing. 

Underperforming based on what standards? The guy isn't an outside linebacker. He has shown that much over the last few years they have put him there. This isn't a Gholston problem where he sucks at both, Coples showed more than enough talent with his hand in the dirt when injuries pressed him there. Moving him back outside was a mistake. 

Could be the case, but why not throw Coples on the D-line on a rotational basis?  I think Coples is being honest when he said he prefers playing D-line as opposed to LB.  He just never looked good at OLB on any kind of consistent basis.

Could be the case, but why not throw Coples on the D-line on a rotational basis?  I think Coples is being honest when he said he prefers playing D-line as opposed to LB.  He just never looked good at OLB on any kind of consistent basis.

I agree with you. The Jets are loaded on the DL. Much to the detriment of the S position. QC is only leverage at this point against Wilk or Sheldon leaving. I think they will keep both if possible with Big Lenny. QC looks done here. No room on the DL and no skill as an OLB.

i don't think they want to use QC even in 4 man fronts. Personally I like him and think he is a tough guy. Just that he is in a tough spot with tremendous players on the DL that are all young.

I agree with you. The Jets are loaded on the DL. Much to the detriment of the S position. QC is only leverage at this point against Wilk or Sheldon leaving. I think they will keep both if possible with Big Lenny. QC looks done here. No room on the DL and no skill as an OLB.

i don't think they want to use QC even in 4 man fronts. Personally I like him and think he is a tough guy. Just that he is in a tough spot with tremendous players on the DL that are all young.

IMO there is no way the Jets will pay Mo 15 million on a franchise tag next season so either Mo and his agent get reasonable or he will be somewhere else.. And before anyone says Mo and his agent are being reasonable how can that be when Mac had no problem dealing with Revis and others that got contracts this year..

IMO there is no way the Jets will pay Mo 15 million on a franchise tag next season so either Mo and his agent get reasonable or he will be somewhere else.. And before anyone says Mo and his agent are being reasonable how can that be when Mac had no problem dealing with Revis and others that got contracts this year..

I just don't see how the Jets can expect to win a SB if they continue to let their best players get away. It is just not scalable.

I was really hoping that Bowles would have the good sense to move Coples back to his original spot on the D-Line. Even coming out of college, he has always been much more effective when used as an interior rusher. Standing him up and using him on the edge is not suitable to his strengths, which surprises me because this staff has generally been doing a good idea of playing to their players abilities. This just strikes me as a Rex-esque fitting a square peg into a round hole.

I just don't see how the Jets can expect to win a SB if they continue to let their best players get away. It is just not scalable.

Normally I'd agree, but if they can use Mo as chip in a deal for a QB, they still have enough talent on the D-line to make up for it.

Archived