Chan Gailey coaches and calls plays like it is 1990 not 2015...

CobraVerde

Completely agree.  I could imagine an early wave at first, but so long as we weather it and don't let things get out of hand I think we will be fine. 

Yep.  This is a game where it would make sense to go on defense first.  That first drive on offense with all our OL injuries, against a hungry defense, would be scary.  Beyond that, not worried.

He doesn't have a QB...

He has to work around an immense weakness.  Gaily is doing a fantastic job!

This.

If the coaching staff had Fitz heaving it all over with reckless abandon, and turning the ball over, then the narrative would be "the OC doesn't understand that Fitz is a turnover machine and should be more conservative". 

I think that Bowles and Chan do a good job coaching to the skillset of the players they have. Not always perfect, but usually better than not.

sorry for the epic post but that's

12 runs with ivory, mostly up the middle for 19 yards

9 passes for about 21 yards

Right. It's not necessarily about passing on first down, it's about having success on first down. Looking at your post, the Jets had one 25 yard play and one nine yard play on first down. Otherwise, every other first down play gained 2 yards or less (3 times for negative yards) until the last two where Ivory ran for 4 yards twice. That's putting your banged up offense and limited QB in a hole on a lot of drives. 

I understand the desire to not put the QB and his bruised squad in bad situations, but the conservative play calling is doing just that. Yes, run high percentage plays on first down, but run plays designed to get at least halfway to a first down. I would pass more right now. More screens, quick slants. It's painfully obvious that Ivory and the OL are not getting it done in the running game. Sure, stick with the run, but try to run more from 2nd & 5 than 1st & 10. 

Right. It's not necessarily about passing on first down, it's about having success on first down. Looking at your post, the Jets had one 25 yard play and one nine yard play on first down. Otherwise, every other first down play gained 2 yards or less (3 times for negative yards) until the last two where Ivory ran for 4 yards twice. That's putting your banged up offense and limited QB in a hole on a lot of drives. 

I understand the desire to not put the QB and his bruised squad in bad situations, but the conservative play calling is doing just that. Yes, run high percentage plays on first down, but run plays designed to get at least halfway to a first down. I would pass more right now. More screens, quick slants. It's painfully obvious that Ivory and the OL are not getting it done in the running game. Sure, stick with the run, but try to run more from 2nd & 5 than 1st & 10. 

yep!  It's doing more bad than good.  And I agree, you stick with the run...but not to the tune of 29 times at 1.1 ypc a clip vs. a terrible team on the backend of their D. 

Here is Chan's problem if he throws on first down and they don't get a completion they are in 2 and 10 and begin to have to throw on second down because you run then and they are not effective, now what?

Now you are finding yourself in far more problematic third and long situations and Fitz just isn't that QB who can do all that. 
The idea that some float out here that why don't the Jets run their offense like the Pats, is madness? Well guess what we don't have one of the greatest QBs in NFL history under center and that matters!

Chan knows Fitz, and he trying his best to keep Fitz comfortable in the pocket. 

Also does the kind of play calling that some suggest end up giving the line an out whereby the Jets are quick to abandon the run?

Very difficult position to be in. 

So Chan uses the run to keep the pressure off of Fitz and he realizes that things can go sideways fast with his QB if he is not made to feel comfortable.

The Jets were 9 and long all game long , I talk high % passes , like 5 to 6 yard passes , the Pats live on short passes 

Our offense is light years ahead of what it was in the last few years. Our lowest point total this season is 17.

There it is. 

The offense is scoring more points than I can remember since... 98?

Everyone on offense is hurt.  QB, RB, Center, Guard, Both WR have been dinged, TE on IR.  What do you expect? 

Fitz is the kind of QB that plays well in a controlled game. Get to the LOS, give him time to read the defense, let him make his checks. He's still pretty good when we always get positive yards, even if it's 2 yards.

I'm not making this about Geno but when he plays it puts so much pressure on the Oline by holding the ball too long, taking sacks, running out of bounds & losing yardage instead of just tossing the ball away, creating holding calls by running backwards instead of up into the pocket, we have more false starts with Geno too. All of those negative plays change what you can do on offense tremendously. Keeping every down at least within at worst 10 yards is what Chan & Bowles are trying to accomplish. In their minds Ivory at worst 1 yard a carry, keeps 3rd down at a manageable 8 yards. Boring? Yes, but they're just trying to do slow the other defense eventually & then open it up a bit. Fitz has actually moved the ball pretty well every 4th quarter.

Jets defense needs to come out flying on Thursday, we need to them badly in this game. Even if the offense moves the ball a foot at a time FORWARD. Bowles loves Fitz because he gets it, NO 3rd & more than 7/8 yards, that's their goal with the banged up line & every single skill player banged up. They strike when they get over the 50, it's been working.

Archived