The Jets Running Game

Warfish

Or lack thereof.

Ivory is clearly not himself, and won't return to being himself at this rate without rest/time to heal whatever is wrong with him.  

Because something is CLEARLY wrong with him, he has no step and no pop, at all.  Yes he's got a worse line, but he is simply not the "Ivory" we know.

Powell.....still hurt?  Or just sucks.  Makes little difference, Powell should be released.

Stacy?  Lol, no.

Sign a street FA (or three) or find someone with big upside on a practice squad.

We simply must fix this broken running game, now not later, for the second half of this season to have any chance at post-season.

Gotta be someone out there on the street who can average 3-4 YPC. 

Powell is still hurt and won't be released. I am surprised Ridley didn't get any run today. Could have gotten a series. 

The issue is complicated because it's a combination of things. Teams stacking the box, conservative and predictable play calling, Ivroy banged up, offensive line banged up. There's just no fix all for it. If they were able to get vertical a little in the passing game, the safeties would have to back off a bit. But, that's just something that isn't a luxury the Jets have right now. 

Or lack thereof.

Ivory is clearly not himself, and won't return to being himself at this rate without rest/time to heal whatever is wrong with him.  

Because something is CLEARLY wrong with him, he has no step and no pop, at all.  Yes he's got a worse line, but he is simply not the "Ivory" we know.

Powell.....still hurt?  Or just sucks.  Makes little difference, Powell should be released.

Stacy?  Lol, no.

Sign a street FA (or three) or find someone with big upside on a practice squad.

We simply must fix this broken running game, now not later, for the second half of this season to have any chance at post-season.

Gotta be someone out there on the street who can average 3-4 YPC. 

I agree we should give Powell a injury settlement and sign a promising PS guy. 

Ah yes. All those promising running backs left on practice squads. Let's get one of those!

There are 320 PS players more or less. Seems impossible that some teams do not have a rookie RB on their PS they like as a developmental player. We essentially have almost nothing at the position right now.

There are 320 PS players more or less. Seems impossible that some teams do not have a rookie RB on their PS they like as a developmental player. We essentially have almost nothing at the position right now.

Even if there was this magical player, if you sign him off of a practice squad, you have to put him on the active roster. What spot is he going to take? They aren't cutting Powell or Stacy or Ridley for a dude on a practice squad. 

Even if there was this magical player, if you sign him off of a practice squad, you have to put him on the active roster. What spot is he going to take? They aren't cutting Powell or Stacy or Ridley for a dude on a practice squad. 

See no reason to keep Powell at this point.

Our struggles in the running game have less to do with Ivory and more to do with the offensive line and defenses stacking the box. I don't remember the stat directly, but it was saying how Ivory was getting hit something like 1.8 yards after he touched the ball during his off games, which was a HUGE change from when we were running it efficiently. Fix the offensive line woes, fix the running game.

Ivory was still explosive in the passing game which makes me think it's more of an Oline problem. He had no run blocking and if we have to keep depending on him missing multiple tackles before the line of scrimmage we'll run it a lot like we did today.

Is the problem Ivory or the line?  It seems like he's getting hit right after he gets the handoff.

Today I thought that Ivory looked fine, but his line was horrible.  No space whatsoever.

It's the line.  On a couple swing passes he had pretty close the same burst he had early on. 

We've just had injuries at a bad time playing a couple defenses who are quite good against the run.  Get Colon and Mangold healthy and we'll be fine.  Not sure how it's going to look against Buffalo but the week and a half rest they're getting after that will hopefully be enough time to get everyone close to 100%.

that's what the Jets are on offense.   I wish there was an easy fix but it doesn't look good right now.  The best running play was the zone toss that Ivory was taking up the middle vs. the Redskins but we haven't seen that play in 3 weeks.   

I don't know if the right move is to try to fix the running game or make the adjustment and just air it out to set up the run.  Right now it's 3 weeks in a row with zero running game and Ivory getting piled up in the backfield.   Is it the OL getting beat?   Is it missed assignments?   Is it the other team selling out to stop the run?    I have no idea what the problem is or what the solution is but this can't continue if this team wants to make a run.   

that's what the Jets are on offense.   I wish there was an easy fix but it doesn't look good right now.  The best running play was the zone toss that Ivory was taking up the middle vs. the Redskins but we haven't seen that play in 3 weeks.   

I don't know if the right move is to try to fix the running game or make the adjustment and just air it out to set up the run.  Right now it's 3 weeks in a row with zero running game and Ivory getting piled up in the backfield.   Is it the OL getting beat?   Is it missed assignments?   Is it the other team selling out to stop the run?    I have no idea what the problem is or what the solution is but this can't continue if this team wants to make a run.   

Its multiple factors. 2 injured OL starters, an injured RB, and teams stacking the box

We're missing 2/5 starting OL. One of which might be the best center in football, and is far-and-away our best OL and the guy that makes the calls along the line. Teams are trying to force Fitz to beat them with his arm, and on the outsides, taking away the "box" for both the run and the short pass. 

I agree we need to adjust, but it's easier said than done, given that the cause is multiple injuries.

We're missing 2/5 starting OL. One of which might be the best center in football, and is far-and-away our best OL and the guy that makes the calls along the line. Teams are trying to force Fitz to beat them with his arm, and on the outsides, taking away the "box" for both the run and the short pass. 

I agree we need to adjust, but it's easier said than done, given that the cause is multiple injuries.

I'm sorry, but that's not why Ivory goes down at the first hint of contact right now.

That's not why he fails to make open holes, fails to avoid tacklers or fails to hammer them like he used to.

Buck passing to the admittedly weakened line does no one any good, it'll just ensure we don't try to improve.

Ivory is not Ivory right now, and it's bloody obvious.  No step.  No speed.  No hammer.  He's an egg back there, as they say.

Jets #1 priority for 2nd half of the year should be to either promote Ridley to the active roster, or find a RB on another teams PS that can take 15-20 carries a game and do better than 2 yards a carry.

Right now, we don't have that guy.  Ivory is either hurt, or lost his ballsack.  Powell is hunt, and is Powell.  That other guy is that other guy.

So Ridley, or find a guy, because we're not going another 5-3 with this trio of RB's as they are today.

Archived