The Jets Running Game

Warfish

We're missing 2/5 starting OL. One of which might be the best center in football, and is far-and-away our best OL and the guy that makes the calls along the line. Teams are trying to force Fitz to beat them with his arm, and on the outsides, taking away the "box" for both the run and the short pass. 

I agree we need to adjust, but it's easier said than done, given that the cause is multiple injuries.

Bullsh*t, pats have lost every starter on OL and blount ran for over 100 today. Difference is opposing def doesnt respect fitzy's arm

Bullsh*t, pats have lost every starter on OL and blount ran for over 100 today. Difference is opposing def doesnt respect fitzy's arm

In the post that I made, that you quoted with this response, did I not just say teams are forcing Fitz to beat them by taking away the "box" (which would be the run and short pass)?

Pretty sure I did.

Yeah, I think I did. I just checked.

So, anyway yeah... "bullsh*t, I've got a louder point to make than you even though it's redundant with what you said". 

I'm sorry, but that's not why Ivory goes down at the first hint of contact right now.

That's not why he fails to make open holes, fails to avoid tacklers or fails to hammer them like he used to.

Buck passing to the admittedly weakened line does no one any good, it'll just ensure we don't try to improve.

Ivory is not Ivory right now, and it's bloody obvious.  No step.  No speed.  No hammer.  He's an egg back there, as they say.

Jets #1 priority for 2nd half of the year should be to either promote Ridley to the active roster, or find a RB on another teams PS that can take 15-20 carries a game and do better than 2 yards a carry.

Right now, we don't have that guy.  Ivory is either hurt, or lost his ballsack.  Powell is hunt, and is Powell.  That other guy is that other guy.

So Ridley, or find a guy, because we're not going another 5-3 with this trio of RB's as they are today.

I said, in the other thread about this same subject, that Ivory hasn't looked right since the first play versus the Pats.

The line is a huge part of the problem, but I'm not excusing Ivory. He looks hurt, no argument there.

In the post that I made, that you quoted with this response, did I not just say teams are forcing Fitz to beat them by taking away the "box" (which would be the run and short pass)?

Pretty sure I did.

Yeah, I think I did. I just checked.

So, anyway yeah... "bullsh*t, I've got a louder point to make than you even though it's redundant with what you said". 

You cannot blame lack of running games on injuries, my point.  if opposing D's do not respect opponents QB, will always be tough sledding. Look at Fournette, maybe the best back I have seen since BO, he could not do diddly and LSU's OL is very good. Cant run with 8 in the box

Or lack thereof.

Ivory is clearly not himself, and won't return to being himself at this rate without rest/time to heal whatever is wrong with him.  

Because something is CLEARLY wrong with him, he has no step and no pop, at all.  Yes he's got a worse line, but he is simply not the "Ivory" we know.

Powell.....still hurt?  Or just sucks.  Makes little difference, Powell should be released.

Stacy?  Lol, no.

Sign a street FA (or three) or find someone with big upside on a practice squad.

We simply must fix this broken running game, now not later, for the second half of this season to have any chance at post-season.

Gotta be someone out there on the street who can average 3-4 YPC. 

not really warranted. Opponents are stacking the box every game, challenging Fitz to beat them. Yesterday Fitz did beat them, but once again, our much vaunted secondary was suspect. More worried about Cro being past his prime. Maybe it's time Dee (who's healthy now) shows that he actually belongs in the NFL

You cannot blame lack of running games on injuries, my point.  if opposing D's do not respect opponents QB, will always be tough sledding. Look at Fournette, maybe the best back I have seen since BO, he could not do diddly and LSU's OL is very good. Cant run with 8 in the box

Like I said, I already made the point that they are stacking the box. You're not saying anything that wasn't already said... But calling bullsh*t, because derp.

Ivory looks fine.  Those couple of swing passes where he was in space, you saw his burst and his power.  I thought he was going to carry 3 guys into the endzone on one of them he was running so hard for the score.

The Pats game he was clearly banged up, so I'm not holding that against him but that last 2 weeks the Jets faced the 2 best run defense in the league.  Jags were holding runners to 3.5, Raiders 3.7 in YPC.  Couple that with 2 interior starters injured, one of the being a top 3 center in the league and there you have it. 

That said, I still put it all on Gailey.  He has no creativity when it comes to his play calling.  There are ways to get the run game going when you're struggling and Gailey refuses to change.  He's a scripted, stubborn game caller who has no desire to change things up to the strengths of the team.  

It is apparent that our season depends entirely too much on Mangold's health.  We've seen other teams roll with 2,3, even 4 new starters on the OLine after injuries and play like nothing had changed.  When Mangold goes down, the entire offense craps the bed.  Talk about an unheralded MVP.  Meanwhile, we need to start paying more attention to OL in the draft or FA soon.  At the very least, a reliable backup at Center is imperative.

Archived