JAC Observations

KRL

Thoughts

- Nothing good could come out of this game.  If they lose it's a disaster,
if they won they should have

- They won and are 5-3, that's all you can say.  Sloppy and they allowed JAC
to hang around, a better team beats us

- Call me crazy (I mentioned it this week) but Pryor has missed the last 
8.5 quarters of football and our defense has been poor.  Coincidence???

- Good to see the defensive staff use Mauldin & Henderson more in pass
rushing situations

Good

- Fitzpatrick probably had his best game.  With no running game, a bad thumb
and missing two OLinemen he made no mistakes and produced 28 points

- Somebody wake me up, did I really see Cumberland catch a 30+ yard pass and
set up a TD???

- Big time catch by Thompkins to get us out of bad field position

- Decker & Marshall with multiple clutch catches.  Big props to Marshall for
the Ivory fumble recovery

- 4 turnovers

- 6 sacks

- Decent OLine pass protection (excluding Brick) while missing two starters

- Good bounce back by the DLine, stopping the run and finally generating
pressure

- Fantastic game by Mauldin, had to be the best edge rush we've had since
Abraham

- Good bounce back for Williams with 2 INT's.  Thank goodness he replaced
Cromartie because he was awful

- Cro deserves credit for his kick off returns

- For the first time ever I have to give credit to Quigley for taking over
for Folk.  And shockingly putting multiple punts inside the 20 yard line

Bad

- Overall bad secondary play.  Allowing a score in 25 seconds is ridiculous
after you just went up 28-16

- Cro was just awful, with a short week I hope Williams replaces him and we
activate Milliner

- OLine run blocking has to get back on track.  I know Mangold is out but 
this is ridiculous

- Had to be Brick's worst game in a while.  Penalties, got pushed back
multiple times and lost his cool to draw a personal foul

- When is Kerley going to learn not to catch a punt inside the 10???

- Dropped Revis INT when we were up 14-3.  A pick and score there and JAC
may quit

- Short week but we couldn't rest our players because we didn't take care
of our business

Our special teams are atrocious. This has to be addressed in the offseason. Quigley is just awful and Kerley's decision making is Geno-like. That comment about punters mastering the back spin is complete nonsense. Are you telling me that the odds of the ball stopping on a dime or bouncing only another yard are two are higher than it going into the end zone or taking a Jets bounce? How many outcomes are worse than the result of a fair catch at the 4?

Can't explain Brick. Is he done? Or is he hurt? He looked terrible the whole game.

Mangold has to get healthy and fast. Buffalo's d-line is going to eat otherwise.

Good summary as always KRL.  Lost in all this was Colon not playing.  He has actually had a better year this year.  He was definitely missed in the running game.  Brick might be done or at least to the level we are accustomed to seeing him the last decade.  Bowles prevent reminds me too much of Mangini prevent.  Did Devin Smith play?  How much do we miss Chace Amaro? I saw another thread that says Chan doesn't use TE's, but he could have been a safety valve these last couple of games as our O stalled in the middle of games. 

Finally, as Ivory goes, we go.  Plain and simple. 

Thoughts

- Nothing good could come out of this game.  If they lose it's a disaster,
if they won they should have

- They won and are 5-3, that's all you can say.  Sloppy and they allowed JAC
to hang around, a better team beats us

- Call me crazy (I mentioned it this week) but Pryor has missed the last 
8.5 quarters of football and our defense has been poor.  Coincidence???

- Good to see the defensive staff use Mauldin & Henderson more in pass
rushing situations

Good

- Fitzpatrick probably had his best game.  With no running game, a bad thumb
and missing two OLinemen he made no mistakes and produced 28 points

- Somebody wake me up, did I really see Cumberland catch a 30+ yard pass and
set up a TD???

- Big time catch by Thompkins to get us out of bad field position

- Decker & Marshall with multiple clutch catches.  Big props to Marshall for
the Ivory fumble recovery

- 4 turnovers

- 6 sacks

- Decent OLine pass protection (excluding Brick) while missing two starters

- Good bounce back by the DLine, stopping the run and finally generating
pressure

- Fantastic game by Mauldin, had to be the best edge rush we've had since
Abraham

- Good bounce back for Williams with 2 INT's.  Thank goodness he replaced
Cromartie because he was awful

- Cro deserves credit for his kick off returns

- For the first time ever I have to give credit to Quigley for taking over
for Folk.  And shockingly putting multiple punts inside the 20 yard line

Bad

- Overall bad secondary play.  Allowing a score in 25 seconds is ridiculous
after you just went up 28-16

- Cro was just awful, with a short week I hope Williams replaces him and we
activate Milliner

- OLine run blocking has to get back on track.  I know Mangold is out but 
this is ridiculous

- Had to be Brick's worst game in a while.  Penalties, got pushed back
multiple times and lost his cool to draw a personal foul

- When is Kerley going to learn not to catch a punt inside the 10???

- Dropped Revis INT when we were up 14-3.  A pick and score there and JAC
may quit

- Short week but we couldn't rest our players because we didn't take care
of our business

We should have rested Mangold, and Ivory, and activated Ridley. Miliner too. We should have used a spot on Amaro. We could use him now. 

The defense changed from the first play Pryor went out. The second level is very soft now. Run, and pass. 

Williams needs to stick to the outside. Cro needs to stick to kick offs, and maybe big receivers. 

My biggest problem with Mac is it seems special teams are an afterthought. Smart teams know that you need to use a few spots there.

Biggest problem I have with Bowles is the offense becomes too timid the end of the half, and with the lead.  

It didn't make any sense to kick those extra points. Very lucky there, 

Something tells me this offseason one of our priorities is going to be RB. I love Ivory but even if the Oline isn't helping him much he should be doing better than he is. I know a lot of fans want to think that he is nursing some type of injury and he may be but he looked pretty healthy on the short screen passes. Even if Ivory remains our feature back next season and I hope he does we still need someone who can compliment him and relieve some of the stress. Our young players looked great today so that is a big plus.

We should have rested Mangold, and Ivory, and activated Ridley. Miliner too. We should have used a spot on Amaro. We could use him now. 

The defense changed from the first play Pryor went out. The second level is very soft now. Run, and pass. 

Williams needs to stick to the outside. Cro needs to stick to kick offs, and maybe big receivers. 

My biggest problem with Mac is it seems special teams are an afterthought. Smart teams know that you need to use a few spots there.

Biggest problem I have with Bowles is the offense becomes too timid the end of the half, and with the lead.  

It didn't make any sense to kick those extra points. Very lucky there, 

Ridley was active. I'm not sure the difference Milliner makes in this game, and Amaro is on IR. 

KRL as I stated before Calvin Pryor was having a Pro Bowl season. His loss has been huge. I find it difficult to replace him with waiver wire and UDFA pick ups.

until the run game is back in play this whole defense will suffer. TOP is down. Brick is playing like he is injured. He is an iron man in having never missed a game. Any replacement on the Jets at that position is highly inadequate. We will have to assist him until he is 100% again.

the D will wear down if  don't get the run game going. 

A win is a win though.

Yes we were sloppy but at least we won because as you look around the
league who saw these results coming:

- SF beats ATL after benching Kaepernick for Gabbert and basically
tanking the season by "resting" their offensive skill players

- IND beats DEN after looking like a train wreck all year and firing
their OC this week

- TEN beats NO after firing their HC this week and with NO trying to get
back in the wild card hunt

Yes we were sloppy but at least we won because as you look around the
league who saw these results coming:

- SF beats ATL after benching Kaepernick for Gabbert and basically
tanking the season by "resting" their offensive skill players

- IND beats DEN after looking like a train wreck all year and firing
their OC this week

- TEN beats NO after firing their HC this week and with NO trying to get
back in the wild card hunt

This stuff is happening every week so I'm with you that I will take a sloppy win.  I will take any win. We hope to learn from our mistakes and improve in the next game.  Jacksonville had scored 31 point for three straight weeks. Granted they weren't playing teams like Denver or Cincy but they still are a team that has some play makers.

Kerley did not fair catch any balls inside the 10.   He had one fair catch after a short kick to the 13.  He had a six yard return on the ball he caught at the 4.  Kerley is 6th in the AFC among qualifying punt returners.  He does have 11 fair catches, but that is not highest in the league or anything.  Whalen has 17.  McCluster, Ginn, Sanders, and Antonio Brown all have more, among others.  Let's keep bashing him for doing exactly what we want and pine for Walter Powell.

Out run, out passed, more penalties - still won the game.

Why?  Turnovers and sacks.  

It helped that ball bounced right for us, again, when Ivory fumbled and recovering both of their fumbles.  We havent seen this many "balls bouncing right for us" in years.  Some luck involved there but luck I'll take when you think about how unlucky this team has been in the past. 

Pretty key AFC win with a lot of key injuries.

This coaching staff needs to ask themselves a few questions when it comes to strategy; how do you finish out the first half, are you using the right personnel (Cro vs. Williams, OL back ups, find a back up RB, get the TE's more involved), conservative play calling, run to set up the pass vs. pass to set up the run, when to abandon a game plan (sticking with 28 run attempts at 1.1 a clip), etc.  It's my opinion, a lot of with what is going on is how they're calling the game.  This team is very talented, they shouldnt be letting the Jags hang around when you've forced 4 turnovers.

Fair but we dont look like a good team.. but maybe we are?  

We are a good team, banged up badly.

the problem isn't that they're banged up, but that it's mostly on offense.  the defense could get milliner and pryor back, but the offense is missing 2 starters on the OL, both starting wrs are hurt, the qb is hurt and who knows how badly ivory is hurt.  then there's powell who hasn't played in weeks, enunwa who's suspended and owuzu who may or may not return.  devin smith is still a non-factor b/c of injuries and being behind in learning the offense.  nearly all the injuries are on offense.  truth, i think winters did a good job yesterday, i don't recall a penalty and the pass pro was good for the most part.  the running game woes began when teams started keying on stopping the run and the jets didn't adjust the playcalling.

Kerley did not fair catch any balls inside the 10.   He had one fair catch after a short kick to the 13.  He had a six yard return on the ball he caught at the 4.  Kerley is 6th in the AFC among qualifying punt returners.  He does have 11 fair catches, but that is not highest in the league or anything.  Whalen has 17.  McCluster, Ginn, Sanders, and Antonio Brown all have more, among others.  Let's keep bashing him for doing exactly what we want and pine for Walter Powell.

I am not bashing kerley, but unless my eyes are lying to me , could of swore kerley fair caught a ball inside the 5

Can't explain Brick. Is he done? Or is he hurt? He looked terrible the whole game.

last night the Cowboys' Tyron Smith, who some say is the best left tackle in football, was schooled twice by Brandon Graham.  Both were strip sacks.  Tyron Smith isn't done or hurt he just got beat. 

Left tackle in the NFL is a very tough job, from week to week, you deal with the best pass rushers on the other team. My point is you only hear about these guys when they make mistakes.

Brick is far from done. He just had a down game. It happens to all of them. 

last night the Cowboys' Tyron Smith, who some say is the best left tackle in football, was schooled twice by Brandon Graham.  Both were strip sacks.  Tyron Smith isn't done or hurt he just got beat. 

Left tackle in the NFL is a very tough job, from week to week, you deal with the best pass rushers on the other team. My point is you only hear about these guys when they make mistakes.

Brick may be injured. Without an adequate back up he continues to play. 

Something tells me this offseason one of our priorities is going to be RB. I love Ivory but even if the Oline isn't helping him much he should be doing better than he is. I know a lot of fans want to think that he is nursing some type of injury and he may be but he looked pretty healthy on the short screen passes. Even if Ivory remains our feature back next season and I hope he does we still need someone who can compliment him and relieve some of the stress. Our young players looked great today so that is a big plus.

Running back and O Line have to be addressed.  Has to be.   And another fast LB. 

Running back and O Line have to be addressed.  Has to be.   And another fast LB. 

Yea, Im thinking those are all a pretty safe bet for the offseason. Its a shame we couldn't have had the RB problem next year because there are some good Rbs that will likely come out in 2017

it hasn't been just one game. That's the problem. Brick has not been good all year.

I dunno, sports are always about the matchups and that team was a horrible matchup for us. The Jags are not good but their strong and weak points matched up well against ours. They have one of the best run defenses in the league and we rely heavily on the run. Their secondary was most beatable deep and that is exactly where we can't get the ball. Thank god their STs are worse than ours because I have no idea how that game would have gone otherwise, but it's hard to take too much from yesterday. I think we won an ugly game that in hindsight was destined to be ugly to begin with.

by what standard? the Jets are the best team in the league with only 9 sacks given up 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&tabSeq=2

That stat surprises me. Would have thought NE, GB.... one of those teams with the smart, quick release QB's would leasd the league.

Fitz has taken care of the ball well and gotten rid of it when in trouble.

- Too bad Rex's history of losing games after a bye ended this week. Bills are healthy and Jets aren't. This will be a tough game for us.

-Chan better have some special offensive calls up his sleave 'cause 2 runs into the line and facing 3rd and 7 will not fly this week.

-Williams must start over Cro on the outside. Can Revis cover Watkins?? Can DL contain Shady and contain Tyrod?? 

That stat surprises me. Would have thought NE, GB.... one of those teams with the smart, quick release QB's would leasd the league.

Fitz has taken care of the ball well and gotten rid of it when in trouble.

- Too bad Rex's history of losing games after a bye ended this week. Bills are healthy and Jets aren't. This will be a tough game for us.

-Chan better have some special offensive calls up his sleave 'cause 2 runs into the line and facing 3rd and 7 will not fly this week.

-Williams must start over Cro on the outside. Can Revis cover Watkins?? Can DL contain Shady and contain Tyrod?? 

just goes to show you the value of going through progressions quickly and not holding onto the ball too long.  

it hasn't been just one game. That's the problem. Brick has not been good all year.

Wrong. The unit has performed exceedingly well. Even Winters stepping in for Colon for 2 games is not the penalty machine it was the last 2 years. 

Yes, Brick will get beat every now & then playing in his 10th year and never missing A SNAP! But to say he's been not good all year is simply asenine & petty. Where have we had our LT beat and gotten the QB killed contributing to a loss?

Bitonti nailed it like a QB on prom night. All that starch in your head is clouding your judgement and perception 

by what standard? the Jets are the best team in the league with only 9 sacks given up 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&tabSeq=2

Archived