(R)ex is coming to town.. Thursday, November 12, 8:25 pm - Bills @ Jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

Basically, whether Rex is involved or not in the personnel decisions, the roster will go to sh*t. 

Too much involvement and solid veteran character guys like Tony Richardson or Fred Jackson get replaced with the likes of Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Richie Incognito and IK Enemkpali. 

Too little involvement, and his act falls on deaf ears with the personnel he's given (like the Bills D-line, who he pissed off both through disrespectful comments and running a scheme that didn't match their abilities).  That's when the "anonymous" quotes about Rex not being given enough talent start coming through the media.  Even when we were using a bevy of first round picks on defense in New York, somehow that wasn't enough for Rex.  Even Idzik, for all his flaws, gave him Sheldon Richardson, yet we still couldn't get a pass rush or turnovers.  We're getting both with Todd Bowles.  Weird.

Tony Richardson was almost 40 and Fred Jackson 35 even said it was the GM and not Rex.. But that's what the haters do blame him for stuff he didn't do.. BTW there is alot of stuff that comes from the media that's BS meant to stir up fans and that's just not the Jets..

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Richardson was almost 40 and Fred Jackson 35 even said it was the GM and not Rex.. But that's what the haters do blame him for stuff he didn't do.. BTW there is alot of stuff that comes from the media that's BS meant to stir up fans and that's just not the Jets..

I'm not just talking about the players leaving.  I'm talking the players entering to replace them.  Rex does not value character guys.  He values "2nd chance" guys with a troubled past, and has no clue that that might have a negative impact on the locker room.  Rex wanted Fred Jackson gone pretty soon after he arrived; he engineered the Shady trade.  Every bit of that had Rex's fingerprints on it.

-- National attention this week is centered around Rex Ryan's return Thursday night to MetLife Stadium, but the Buffalo Bills coach insists that his upcoming game against the New York Jets isn't circled on his calendar -- but games against the New England Patriots are."I promise that I'll give you an honest answer [about playing the Jets] after the game [Thursday]," Ryan said. "Because right now I haven't thought about it. What I'm telling you is the truth. We're just trying to prepare for a game on a short week. Would it had been different if it was a longer [week]? Maybe.

"But at no point was I like, 'Oh, I have this one circled.' Everybody knows me, I circle the Patriots. That's what I do."

The Bills will travel to Gillette Stadium later this month for their first Monday Night Football appearance since 2009 -- when they opened their season with a loss to the Patriots."Oh baby, that one's gonna be tough," Ryan said Monday. "The quarterback [Tom Brady] never gets worse. What's wrong with him? That quarterback never gets worse. Like what is wrong with him. You know what I mean? When you get older, you’re supposed to get worse. This dude's getting better.

"Like, it’s sick. It’s not right. I’m waiting for the wheels to fall off."

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22054/rex-ryan-im-circling-patriots-game-not-jets-game

It's next to impossible to know what goes on behind closed doors.  There's many sides to every story.  That's why it's best to go by what their record was.  Rex did well early.  Terrible the last four years.  I lived it.  I saw it.  That's my interpretation.  Lots of circumstances.  Bottom line - watching this team the last four years was very difficult and Rex was the coach.  That's it.

It's next to impossible to know what goes on behind closed doors.  There's many sides to every story.  That's why it's best to go by what their record was.  Rex did well early.  Terrible the last four years.  I lived it.  I saw it.  That's my interpretation.  Lots of circumstances.  Bottom line - watching this team the last four years was very difficult and Rex was the coach.  That's it.

Watching the Jets with HOF HC Weeb  1970-1973 was very difficult as well I feel your pain..:(

Watching the Jets with HOF HC Weeb  1970-1973 was very difficult as well I feel your pain..:(

1970 we won the Super Bowl.  Meaning that you're only talking about 3 years.  Following a Super Bowl title.  We're talking about 4 dreadful years following two years of falling short.  Yet you think of them as being one and the same.  Looks like we're done here, nowhere else this discussion can go if you consider those first 2 years on that level. 

4 straight years of -90 net points or more, and we're supposed to appreciate Rex for being "fun" for the first 2.  Meanwhile it's a negative that Bowles treats press conferences the same way as a 4-time Super Bowl champion (yes, he's a cheater but also an excellent coach).  Can't make this stuff up. 

Yes, those 2 playoff runs were fun.  Too bad they're ancient history now.  For the majority of his coaching tenure he was a loser, just like Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini before him. 

That is incorrect:

2011: +14

it was the last 3 years when we had no talent on offense yet in 2012 we were still in the race in December and in 2013 w/ a rookie geno Smith who clearly wasn't ready to play we finished .500 and again were playoff contenders.

you may want to look up the word "majority"

Herm led us to the playoffs 3 of 5 years

Mangini led us to winning record 2 of his 3 years

Rex only had 2 losing seasons in 6 years

Basically, whether Rex is involved or not in the personnel decisions, the roster will go to sh*t. 

Too much involvement and solid veteran character guys like Tony Richardson or Fred Jackson get replaced with the likes of Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Richie Incognito and IK Enemkpali. 

Too little involvement, and his act falls on deaf ears with the personnel he's given (like the Bills D-line, who he pissed off both through disrespectful comments and running a scheme that didn't match their abilities).  That's when the "anonymous" quotes about Rex not being given enough talent start coming through the media.  Even when we were using a bevy of first round picks on defense in New York, somehow that wasn't enough for Rex.  Even Idzik, for all his flaws, gave him Sheldon Richardson, yet we still couldn't get a pass rush or turnovers.  We're getting both with Todd Bowles.  Weird.

Tony Richardson retired and we replaced Braylon( a known not great LR guy) w/ Plax.  that's kind of a wash.

-- Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan defended his decision to name IK Enemkpali a game-day captain against the New York Jets on Thursday, claiming it isn't a slap at his old team.

Citing that he traditionally designates players playing against their former teams as game day captains, Ryan said his choice of Enemkpali was not a shot at the Jets even though the linebacker punched and broke Geno Smith's jaw during Jets' training camp before he was released by the team."Guys, it's not a slap in anybody's face," Ryan said in a conference call with Jets reporters on Tuesday. "It is not a sign of disrespect. It's just what we do. And I've done it, you guys know, I've done it that way ever since I came into the league."

"I don't get it," Ryan added when asked about some taking the move as a jab at the Jets. "I really don't get it ... You guys know how I do the captains. If this was an isolated deal where I just threw a guy out there, then I can understand it. But this is what we do, every single week."Ryan pointed out that he has made Richie Incognito and Jason Taylor -- former longtime Dolphins who played for him with Buffalo and New York, respectively -- game day captains against Miami.

When told that those two spent years with the Dolphins while Enemkpali played sparingly for the Jets for just one season, Ryan defended his linebacker earning a game-day captain nod."Well he has been an outstanding teammate right here," Ryan said. "And you know what? IK was one of the hardest working players [with the Jets], every player on that team will tell you the same thing."

"Look, he's not perfect, he admits it," Ryan added. "It was a terrible thing that happened. But you know what? We've moved on. So we'll forgive people. And we forgive guys and he's a good teammate right here. I think he does earn the right to be a captain for this game."Earlier Thursday at his news conference in Buffalo, Ryan said he was a "little shocked" at the criticism he's received over naming Enemkpali a captain for the game but he's "not going to change how we do things."

"This is something that I have always done and that will never change," he said.

Ryan joked that he might need to wear a helmet on his walk into MetLife Stadium on Thursday night. On Thursday he began the news conference in Buffalo by wearing a Clemson helmet as his son plays on the team.

Ryan, who spent six seasons as Jets coach, isn't sure what his emotions will be going up against his old team.

"It is hard to say, I am not sure," Ryan said. "I know we got a huge game in front of us. That is really where our focus is going to be. After the game, I will be able tell you exactly how I feel."

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14099626/rex-ryan-ik-enemkpali-buffalo-bills-captain-pick-not-slap-newyork-jets-face

except he wasn't terrible the last 4 years, really only 2014 was terrible.  2011 we had a playoff shot late, 2012 we were in the race in December despite a roster that should have won 3 games, 2013 we miraculously won 8 games w/ Geno as a rookie starting and last year we sucked from start to finish when he was sabotaged by the inept GM.

Nobody shrugs them off. 

Some of us just understand that falling short in the playoffs, combined with bottoming the team out, is not worthy of "untouchable" status.

In my case, I've said it plenty of times, what Rex and mostly those 09+10 teams did in the playoffs was GREAT. But the 6 totals weeks of enjoyment I got out of those playoff runs pales in comparison to the 4 straight years of watching Rex **** this team up, and pass the buck to anyone that got within 5 feet of his lapband.

It's the best "6 week" stretch of NYJ football you've seen in your 30 years of following the team but it pales in comparison to a couple .500 seasons before Idzik destroyed the roster. 

right.

How any franchise worth a shlt would allow that.   Cowhers  daughter went to Princeton....  Urban Meyer to GT.    You'd never know it.  Those are class acts.    Rex s kid sat the bench At Clemson.   Rex is embarrassing.

yeah keep it classy like Belichick and Brady.  Extra marital affairs and leaving pregnant women are way less embarrassing to your children then wearing a helmet in a press conference!

yeah we need class like Belichick and Brady.  Extra marital affairs and leaving pregnant women are way less embarrassing to your children then wearing a helmet in a press conference!

From everything I read, Brady is doing the right thing there.  perhaps he should be Cromartie?

I wont defend Bellicek but if we cast off every person who had marriage issues , we'd have very few left.

Ill keep it to football.  If I went to Clemson, walked on and barely played, Id be embarrassed if my dad did anything remote to what REX did.

From everything I read, Brady is doing the right thing there.  perhaps he should be Cromartie?

I wont defend Bellicek but if we cast off every person who had marriage issues , we'd have very few left.

Ill keep it to football.  If I went to Clemson, walked on and barely played, Id be embarrassed if my dad did anything remote to what REX did.

He is proud of his kid, loves him, and wanted to show him support.  I guess we have a different definition of what it is to be embarrassed...  Most of these coaches miss out on their kids growing up.. 

Since you mentioned him go watch the Real Sports segment on Urban Meyers..  basically missed his 2 daughters first 18 years by being obsessed with football.  but I guess at least he never did anything embarrassing in a press conference.

his son should be embarrassed about the foot fetish videos that got out not about his dad being proud he was able to make the team at Clemson.

He is proud of his kid, loves him, and wanted to show him support.  I guess we have a different definition of what it is to be embarrassed...  Most of these coaches miss out on their kids growing up.. 

Since you mentioned him go watch the Real Sports segment on Urban Meyers..  basically missed his 2 daughters first 18 years by being obsessed with football.  but I guess at least he never did anything embarrassing in a press conference.

Interesting topic... seriously.   Im fairly successful, I went to "almost" all of my kids events etc, made sure they went to good colleges.  Most of my clients are very successful and they mostly good parents from what I can see.

I debate (in my mind) the average guy who says..."Hey, I wanna be there for my kid" like succesful people aren't. I havent found that to be true.   I think the guy who does less at work , under the "KIDS" montra, is using it as an excuse.

My nephew is 11, play football. There are like 8 "dads" there as coaches.  really? They all need to be there?  I believe half are there for them, not the kids.

Again...its a peev of mine. I dont think being succesful is negatively correlated to good parenting.  BUT, absolutely respect your thoughts here.

Actually Fred Jackson was replaced by Karlos Williams.  Really miss Fred but Karlos  is a beast.

It's the best "6 week" stretch of NYJ football you've seen in your 30 years of following the team but it pales in comparison to a couple .500 seasons before Idzik destroyed the roster. 

right.

so, because you feel good about it, everyone has to? You know this is a tell-tale behavior of insecurity, right?

stop making it so easy

Interesting topic... seriously.   Im fairly successful, I went to "almost" all of my kids events etc, made sure they went to good colleges.  Most of my clients are very successful and they mostly good parents from what I can see.

I debate (in my mind) the average guy who says..."Hey, I wanna be there for my kid" like succesful people aren't. I havent found that to be true.   I think the guy who does less at work , under the "KIDS" montra, is using it as an excuse.

My nephew is 11, play football. There are like 8 "dads" there as coaches.  really? They all need to be there?  I believe half are there for them, not the kids.

Again...its a peev of mine. I dont think being succesful is negatively correlated to good parenting.  BUT, absolutely respect your thoughts here.

Naw, I wasn't implying that very successful people neglect their parenting responsibilities.  I only mentioned Urban because you brought him up as the standard by which Rex should conduct himself.  We exchanged a couple PM's on JI years back - I know you're a good dude.

Besides..  Rex is wildly successful and works more hours compared to most guys.  I just thought saying he's an embarrassment to his children was unfair.  I mean - the whole reason he wore the helmet was to honor his kid.

I'm an average guy and there are definitely times I have to force myself into the after school activity for my 11 year old and have absolutely wormed my way out of things..  When all is said and done I'm aiming for at least an 80% compliance rate haha. 

-- As if there wasn't already enough soundbite-of-the-week material from Rex Ryan's news conference Tuesday, the Buffalo Bills coach took a friendly jab at Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's bushy facial hair."Right now, the thing that’s disappointing to me is that beard," Ryan deadpanned while otherwise complimenting Fitzpatrick. "I mean you look at him like, 'Really kid?' So he’s not a real handsome kid."

Fitzpatrick, the witty Harvard grad and former Bills quarterback, was told about the comment on a conference call later Tuesday with Buffalo reporters.

"Really? That's all right," Fitzpatrick said, chuckling. "I got five kids, so something's working for me."

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22068/ryan-fitzpatrick-gives-a-plus-response-to-rex-ryans-beard-jab

yeah keep it classy like Belichick and Brady.  Extra marital affairs and leaving pregnant women are way less embarrassing to your children then wearing a helmet in a press conference!

Honestly?  Please dude.  I opened my mothers high school Year book saw her in a cheer leading outfit and thought, "What the...?"  This kid googles his mom on the interweb and I think he wins the "Holy hell my mom....contest" every single time.

Did you see the show Rex Ryan put on this week? He wore a Clemson helmet to his press conference, then behaved like it was a lampshade.

He announced that he would make IK Enemkpali — you know, the guy who punched quarterback Geno Smith in the face and broke his jaw — a captain when his Bills play the Jets on Thursday night. And then he expressed shock that anyone would find this somewhat outrageous.

"I don't get it," Ryan told reporters on Tuesday. "I really don't get it. It's not a slap in anybody's face." 

A slap in the face.

GET IT?! 

(Insert laugh track here.)

It was typical Rex, and aside from letting some hot air loose on sports radio, mostly harmless. And still, as it was all unfolding, I couldn't help but think this: Isn't it nice that the Rex Ryan Show is playing somewhere else now? 

Not that I didn't enjoy it here. Oh, I couldn't get enough of it for a while. The time he wore a wig and pretended to be his brother Rob? Hilarious. The whole press conference when those foot-fetish videos surfaced on YouTube? Among the most uncomfortable I've ever witnessed. But the Jets got bad, and the act got old, and watching it now sort of feels like seeing your ex on Facebook. You're glad he/she has moved on, because nobody wants to rekindle the flame. 

This team is in a better place with Todd Bowles on the sidelines and Ryan in Buffalo — provided, that is, that Bowles has the Jets ready for a game not only can firmly establish his team as a playoff contender but damage Rex and the Bills in the process.That's all that matters. Still, when he was done playing Jimmy Fallon, it was interesting to hear Ryan express some regrets about what happened at the end with the Jets. He took a little shot at former GM John Idzik, the biggest bullseye in franchise history, but didn't absolve himself. 

"I take all of it," Ryan said when asked about taking the blame for the 4-12 season that ended his reign. "I should have handled things differently when I was there, and should have made sure that Woody (Johnson), in particular, knew exactly what I was feeling.

"You learn from it, and all that type of stuff. It's 100 percent my responsibility. I've never ducked that."

In other words: He should have spoken up when it was clear that Idzik inexplicably was going to leave him with a roster filled with holes. It was an arrangement that was doomed to fail from the start, and if Ryan believes he learned from it, so did his former boss.  The Jets now have a general manager in Mike Maccagnan and a head coach who share an agenda, and if that means the press conferences are a little more boring? Well, let's be honest, Ryan wasn't exactly Bill Murray behind the podium, and he certainly wasn't Bill Belichick on the sidelines. 

He has endured a few rocky moments in his first season with the Bills, but a convincing 33-17 victory over the Dolphins on Sunday has quieted some of that down. He'll be a hero in Buffalo if he can end the Bills 15-year playoff drought, the longest in major U.S. sports.If that happens this year, Ryan will be in rare form in January ... especially if the next meeting between these two teams means something. It is entirely conceivable that both the Jets and the Bills will need their Jan. 3 meeting in the season finale to make the playoffs. 

The Jets can take a step closer to that goal with a victory on Thursday night. Jets fans probably will remember this: The Rex Ryan Show was far less funny when his team loses a game. 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/jets_are_better_off_with_the_rex_ryan_show_in_buff.html#incart_river

You have use that line almost three times heading up to this game.  Still waiting for an explanation.  Oh yeah, and yes Im following you. 

the explanation is that Rex knows all the pressure points on this team. He knows to attack Brian Winters with his blitzing. He knows that the safeties are in shambles. He's way more familiar with the personnel than Bowles is familiar with the Bills' personnel. 

I always expected REx to sweep the Jets this year? Why? Cause we are Jets fans and our (football fan) lives are doomed to be in the special level of hell that it has been for the last, oh, I don't know, 45 or so years. 

Also now that the lines are out the trends are terrible. 

Buffalo is:

4-1 ATS last 5 in series.
6-1 ATS last 7 as an underdog.
4-1 ATS last 5 as an underdog of 0.5-3.0.
New York Jets are:

1-5 ATS last 6 as a favorite of 0.5-3.0.
1-6 ATS last 7 in November.
2-7 ATS last 8 after allowing more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.

the explanation is that Rex knows all the pressure points on this team. He knows to attack Brian Winters with his blitzing. He knows that the safeties are in shambles. He's way more familiar with the personnel than Bowles is familiar with the Bills' personnel. 

I always expected REx to sweep the Jets this year? Why? Cause we are Jets fans and our (football fan) lives are doomed to be in the special level of hell that it has been for the last, oh, I don't know, 45 or so years. 

Also now that the lines are out the trends are terrible. 

Buffalo is:

4-1 ATS last 5 in series.
6-1 ATS last 7 as an underdog.
4-1 ATS last 5 as an underdog of 0.5-3.0.
New York Jets are:

1-5 ATS last 6 as a favorite of 0.5-3.0.
1-6 ATS last 7 in November.
2-7 ATS last 8 after allowing more than 250 yards passing in their previous game.

Rex is also 2-18 in his last 20 games following a win. We've turned over half the roster since he left. Anyone who's seen a minute of our last three games knows the safeties are bad and anyone who's watched a single Jets game from the past 2+ seasons knows Winters is a disaster. The only argument here that makes any sense is the special level of hell one, though I'll grant it's convincing enough that I also think it's pretty much a given that we're getting swept by the Bills.

I bet they are secretly besties. 

Edit: is BB wearing a Belichick hoodie? 

Yeah, I read about it at the time and it's apparently merch for a charity he's involved with.  Advertising it at the combine to get people to buy them.

Archived