Ape's gratuitously self-indulgent halfway point report card and ramblings...

Integrity28

Things we've seen that characterize our first 8 games:

• bad challenges in the first few games, but this seems to have been improved upon already
  • excellent halftime adjustments that helped us run away with a couple games
  • we were "in" all but 1 game, where Oakland spanked us
  • we've seen the team look "flat" several times
  • we've seen the team look "inspired" several times, as well
  • coaches seem to (mostly) work to the strengths of the players we have, they seem to understand limitations
  • we've managed to compete offensively in spite of injuries and limitations (of varying magnitudes) to Decker, Marshall, Ivory, Mangold, Colon, Fitz, Devin, Bilal, Owusu, Enunwa, and Nick Folk
  • we've managed to range from "absolutely dominant", to "doing enough to win" on defense
  • we're seeing players getting coached up, examples include the progress of Mauldin, Kenbrell Thompkins finding a role in our offense, Decker absolutely thriving in our offense, and Fitz stabilizing and even thriving at times as the QB
  • we've won 5 games, we've lost 3
  • there's definitely room for improvement

Coaching: B

Bowles and company do a good job coaching to the skillset of the players they have. At times, one could argue that they should make adjustments a bit sooner, but the patience that keeps them from over-reacting early is also, I believe, what helps keep the team composed more often than not. Not perfect, but easily the best we've seen from a head coach since Rex during the playoffs, and before that probably going back over a decade. The offensive and defensive grades are lower, because I believe the coaches have don't a pretty good job, but players have to execute so I'm a bit tougher on them.

Offense: B-

It's not perfect, but considering the moving parts, the lack of playing time together as a unit, and the injuries... one could argue that the offense deserves an A in the context of the historic problems the Jets have with offensive football. I ding them on not being able to run the ball at will, which may be met with some criticism, but if that's how you want to build your identity, then that's what you should be able to do... even if guys get nicked up. Being able to pound the ball down an opponents throat no matter the circumstances is what wins in the playoffs... if everything has to be perfect, then you get shut down. We've seen our Jets do this to opponents for years now. The passing game has exceeded expectations. Sure, we've seen arguing here for a couple months about all the hypothetical interceptions and points left on the field, but the reality is that the passing game is pushing this team forward when the run game and defense falter. NOBODY expected that. Nobody. Fitzpatrick isn't always pretty, but he's captured the confidence of the locker room, and is playing some of his best football. Marshall and Decker are easily the best Jets WRs we've had since Key and Wayne. There's room to improve, but the offense is doing more than just "not screwing it up", they winning games for us when the defense cannot.

Defense: C

At times, they've looked absolutely dominant and awe inspiring. I love that they are creating turnovers, meaningful ones that lead to points. I'm struggling with how they've come out flat a few times now, they often lack intensity, and while they can push an opponent into a 3rd and long... they seem to lack that dimension that blows up the 3rd down play and kills the drive. We saw some adjustments in the Jax game where they were able to close some drives out in big ways, but even earlier in that game they struggled to get off the field. This is something that plagued this defense when Rex was here too, and perhaps it's just the nature of the game these days (being set up for QBs to have a huge advantage), but personally I think I and every other Jet fan expected more dominance from this defense. Especially given the amount of resources invested in it. The defense has also seen their share of injuries, but not as much as the offense, and frankly they should have the depth to be much more successful with the next man up... it just hasn't been the case.

Special teams: D

We lost to the Patriots partially because we gave them incredible field position over and over. We lost to the Eagles because we couldn't tackle Darren Sproles. By and large, we've seen more bad than good from specials. I don't think there's much more to explain here. 

Scouting/front office: A

Not sure how anyone could criticize the effort and success of the moves made in the off-season. From the high-profile signing of Revis, to the under-the-radar signing of Carpenter and Skrine. Getting Marshall for a 5th rounder. Getting Fitz for a 7th rounder. It's showing up in the games, big time. Additionally, they haven't stopped. With Devin Smith falling behind because of multiple injuries, and Owusu and Enunwa also missing time... Mac's team went out and found Kenbrell who has given us that 3rd receiving option that we struggled to get involved in the earlier games. I think it takes pressure off of Marshall and Decker, and gives Fitz another target he seems comfortable with. 

I would have to give a lower grade to Bowles, whose clock management is poor. Almost Herm Edwards poor. In fact it may be worse. Jets decided to waste the last 1:30 of the first half only to have to give it back to Jacksonville who used the time they had left to score a touchdown and get themselves back in the game. A minute and a half is a lifetime in football with three timeouts Todd, and you have to make the most of every second to TRY AND SCORE. I would give Bowles a C or at best B-. 

I would have to give a lower grade to Bowles, whose clock management is poor. Almost Herm Edwards poor. In fact it may be worse. Jets decided to waste the last 1:30 of the first half only to have to give it back to Jacksonville who used the time they had left to score a touchdown and get themselves back in the game. A minute and a half is a lifetime in football with three timeouts Todd, and you have to make the most of every second to TRY AND SCORE. I would give Bowles a C or at best B-. 

Fair enough.

It's totally subjective.

To me, the decision not to have Fitz running a 2-minute offense with 2 backup OL, and without Powell our best pass-protecting RB... means he decided not to put the QB (and team) in a situation where they don't have the skillsets on the field to make it most successful. Perhaps he saved us from turning it over. 

In theory, the defense should have never let up that TD. 

Either way, I could understand why he didn't want Fitz airing it out without ideal pass pro... and I did talk about the clock management, but ultimately I think that's the biggest knock on him in an otherwise very strong first 8 games.

I'd give coaching a "C", I find Bowles to be a less inspiring Herm Edwards, maybe he'll improve - who knows, but he has a ton of talent on defense and does not seem to use it well.  Rex did more with less, so did Mangini.   As for offense, nothing incredibly creative going on there, however its hard to judge given the QB being so weak...Fitz has the best weapons he has ever had on offense, I wish we could see what a real QB could do with Decker, Marshall and Kerley.

It is it is a bit relative. 

Coaching "competence" is light years ahead of the previous regime just in terms of penalties, adjustments, handling the press, etc. that alone may merit an honor grade of B+ or greater.

Yet, one can criticize the STUBBORNESS of not utilizing a proven offensive utility knife (he's not a weapon) Kerley. The horrid special teams and the mess it continues to be. You correctly cited inability to produce 3rd down drive stoppers as a lingering issue. Refusing to sub out ineffective players like Cro & Q. 

Overall im happy because this team doesn't shoot itself in the foot to lose games and they seem prepared for games despite starting "flat;" the 1/2 time adjs. Are reason alone to <3 this coaching staff.

It's amazing that a team predicated on D has the same ppg average as the GB Packers....and we are still complaining.   

The Jets have basically been winning ugly, lost a close one to the Pats*, and laid 2 eggs vs Oak + Phi.   If the D can firm up this team has a chance to make some noise.  

Fair enough.

It's totally subjective.

To me, the decision not to have Fitz running a 2-minute offense with 2 backup OL, and without Powell our best pass-protecting RB... means he decided not to put the QB (and team) in a situation where they don't have the skillsets on the field to make it most successful. Perhaps he saved us from turning it over. 

Either way, I could understand why he didn't want Fitz airing it out without ideal pass pro... and I did talk about the clock management, but ultimately I think that's the biggest knock on him in an otherwise very strong first 8 games.

Don't forget the fact that we didn't even have a kicker. That severely limits the options with 1:30 remaining.

I understand people being upset by the decision, but the fact of the matter is Quigley can't shank the punt and Cromartie can't get burned by that double move.

Zac Stacey seems pretty good in pass protection.  He's looked pretty bad running, but he is a hammer blocking and seems to pick the right guy.  That inside screen on 3rd and 12 was pretty sweet.

True, he has looked good. Just not sure if he's the guy they want running the 2-min. Maybe we just don't have a 2-min offense??? I'm not making excuses, just trying to give benefit of the doubt. 

Fair enough.

It's totally subjective.

I agree with you.  We should have gone in 14-3.   With a banged up QB, no running game and no kicker I believe he made the right call.  The defense was playing well enough that you think they wouldn't  be able to score with a little time left before the half.   The Crofense screwed that up.

I like the B for Bowles. Well, partly cause Bowles starts  with B and my simple brain likes simple things.  He has brought a new mature feeling to the team even dealing with immature behavior like the " sucker punch heard round the league. ".  Yet time will tell because you can see he is struggling with the two game loss stretch .  playing little tight, little scared and playing not to lose. All in all great first half of football coached for a new coach. Would like to see these grades at years end.  Be interesting.  

Special Teams are an F. Outright putrid. Bowles needs to get this cleaned up.

I think some of this can be attributed to the amount of work that needed to be done in the offseason to make this team competitive.    Coming in we knew the roster needed to be totally rebuilt and that it would likely take more than 1 year to do it.  We now have quality starters and some depth on both sides of the ball, but I think the bottom of the roster, the guys that need to contribute on specials, especially coverage still needs to be upgraded.  Just a thought from my perspective, but if true, not much coaching up or cleaning up that can be done if we simply don't have the players at the bottom of the roster to get it done.

I agree with you.  We should have gone in 14-3.   With a banged up QB, no running game and no kicker I believe he made the right call.  The defense was playing well enough that you think they wouldn't  be able to score with a little time left before the half.   The Crofense screwed that up.

Even 14-6 would not have been the end of the world, but a 2 play 12 second TD drive was about as disastrous as possible. 

Cro got whipped on the first play and overcompensated and bit big on the second.  He was playing off and let Hurns eat up the cushion and then bit on the fake.  Cro sucks when he gives space, which is why he would make a terrible safety.  Williams actually plays much better facing the QB, despite how piss poor he was at S last week

Even 14-6 would not have been the end of the world, but a 2 play 12 second TD drive was about as disastrous as possible. 

Cro got whipped on the first play and overcompensated and bit big on the second.  He was playing off and let Hurns eat up the cushion and then bit on the fake.  Cro sucks when he gives space, which is why he would make a terrible safety.  Williams actually plays much better facing the QB, despite how piss poor he was at S last week

If Cro played safety it he would like he is back there waiting for a punt, that's how much space he would give up.

Nice job Ape, you pretty much hit on everything , I'll take the 5-3 , only thing that worries me is they don't seem like the same team since the moment Marshall dropped that TD against the Pats....maybe/hopefully it's just the injuries catching up? And when the get healthy we'll see the pre-drop team again...let's hope .

Nice job Ape, you pretty much hit on everything , I'll take the 5-3 , only thing that worries me is they don't seem like the same team since the moment Marshall dropped that TD against the Pats....maybe/hopefully it's just the injuries catching up? And when the get healthy we'll see the pre-drop team again...let's hope .

Yeah, I'm not happy about the Patriot game hangover... can't tell if it's just too many injuries to hide or what. Really curious to see what type of team they show up as on Thursday. 

Thanks for the post Ape.

You gave the defense a C, so presumably you're grading against a curve / basing it on perceived talent.

Excluding expectations, I'd give the defense an A- / B+, depending on whether they go back to playing like they did at the beginning of the year.  Maybe they're the 5th best defense, which is a very nice improvement from last year.

Thanks for the post Ape.

You gave the defense a C, so presumably you're grading against a curve / basing it on perceived talent.

Excluding expectations, I'd give the defense an A- / B+, depending on whether they go back to playing like they did at the beginning of the year.  Maybe they're the 5th best defense, which is a very nice improvement from last year.

Yea, sort of grading against a sort of opinion-driven formula that considers investment (player acquisition), emphasis (forte and philosophy of coach), expectations and results.

They, in my opinion, dipped to a C because they (and special teams) are why we lost to Philly (creating the hole that Fitz couldn't climb us out of), allowed Carr and Bortles to look like Brady, have come out flat on several occasions, and have not been as consistent as you'd expect from a group like this. 

Zac Stacey seems pretty good in pass protection.  He's looked pretty bad running, but he is a hammer blocking and seems to pick the right guy.  That inside screen on 3rd and 12 was pretty sweet.

Zac Stacy is a good football player who has had very limited touches and to be fair our Line has not blocked well other than a few games . Stacy is just about as shifty as Ivory and the way we are currently blocking neither back is going to do much.

Whoever the talent evaluator genius is for our team I think deserves an A+ Skrine and Gilchrist seem to be working out pretty well and how about picking up Dion Bailey and Thompkins so far this season. They added some promising young talent to the roster which could end up helping our team out long term.

Don't forget the fact that we didn't even have a kicker. That severely limits the options with 1:30 remaining.

I understand people being upset by the decision, but the fact of the matter is Quigley can't shank the punt and Cromartie can't get burned by that double move.

Even if you're not thinking points, you have to be thinking first down. They ran three plays to run the clock, punted, and got burnt. This wasn't the first time they gave up in a two minute situation at the half, either. Same thing in the NE game. Bowles seems pretty good at not going into prevent defense to protect a lead, he has to step in and stop going into prevent offense at the end of a half. If you're not going for it all, just run your regular, ball control offense. Don't be afraid to throw a high percentage pass or two to move the chains. Jets went into the locker room with a four point lead, but it felt like they were losing. 

Archived