We Have Not Beaten a Winning or .500 team

JohnnyLV

I am excited about the Jets being 5-3, and because of how bizarre this season is we have less teams to beat out for a playoff berth, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves if we think we are a good team.

The teams we have beat are 14-28 overall. 14-23 if you remove our losses.

But we have been soundly beaten by all .500 or better teams we have played. We actually were the most competitive against the 8-0 Cheatriots.

I have a lot of concerns for this team. Coaching has been very spotty and Bowles gets more conservative each week.  Our defense needs multiple turnovers for us to win games and we have yet to beat a winning team.

We are old, slow and very beaten up.

Jax win as ugly as it was, was huge.

Even at 5-3 and in a prime playoff position, when I take off my fan hat I am worried that this team is nowhere near as good as it's record. 

I hope we can keep things going, but I do not really like the way we are playing and the jury is very very much out on Bowles.

I am excited about the Jets being 5-3, and because of how bizarre this season is we have less teams to beat out for a playoff berth, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves if we think we are a good team.

But we have been soundly beaten by all .500 or better teams we have played. We actually were the most competitive against the 8-0 Cheatriots.

I have a lot of concerns for this team. Coaching has been very spotty and Bowles gets more conservative each week.  Our defense needs multiple turnovers for us to win games and we have yet to beat a winning team.

Even at 5-3 and in a prime playoff position, when I take off my fan hat I am worried that this team is nowhere near as good as it's record. 

I hope we can keep things going, but I do not really like the way we are playing and the jury is very very much out on Bowles.

But our schedule is mostly made up of teams that are not winning teams, so the fact that we haven't beaten winning teams is moot.

I think you can view this league wide to be honest. Beyond the top tier and undefeated teams you have a lot of above average teams beating up on the bad teams.  I agree we need to out there and beat a  good team but I wouldn't view this just under the microscope of the Jets.

We have a last place schedule.  

Bingo. And teams that we thought would have been better have not been. Only teams we play at .500 or over the remainder of the season (as of right now) are the Pats,Bills and Giants.

That's 4 out of 8.

Cowboys, Dolphins, Texans, and Titans are all below .500

Nobody was feeling sorry for us last year when we had to play Rogers, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers, Manning and Brady on successive weeks. When I checked after that stretch the Jets were 1-7. There was no special bonuses for who you played.

Are we a Super Bowl contender ? No way

Are we a playoff team ? Maybe

Are we better than last year ? Absolutely !!!!

I am enjoying this season so far. The last four years have been very tough to watch at times.

It also helps that on rotation, we have the two worst divisions in the NFL, the NFC East and the AFC South

That is very true. 

I think sometimes people think if I post negative things about the team I am negative about the Jets and that could not be farther from the truth. I think it is just a way to manage my own expectations and sort of purge all the bad stuff from the last game.

I am concerned about Bowles, I had hoped more of Arians had rubbed off on him, but he seems to get more and more conservative each week.. 

When you see the way Mauldin played, you just wonder why he got so few snaps the last couple weeks before. Was he still injured or is Bowles just stubborn about veterans. Pace and Cro should be on the field very sparingly.

The matchup zone we play in the secondary is a strength in that we are getting more interceptions, but a weakness in that teams are learning how to exploit it. I would like to see more variety there.

Safety seems to be much more important to our defense that you would have that as the absence of Pryor is noticeable.

Skrine is almost too important to our scheme and they are asking too much of him right now.

Play calling on first and second down has been Herm like.

We cannot build around Ivory as our long term back, or even our short term back right now.

when you are the doormat of your division, you are playing amongst the doormats of the other conference divisions in addition that year's designated division (AFC South for 2015, which is pretty weak) and NFC the next year. That's why we played the '14 last place Browns & Raiders as our NonDesignated Division opponents. We had a good shot of making the playoffs because BY DESIGN we had a weaker schedule and 1/2 way into the season now realize our 2015 Designated Divisions (NFC East & AFC South) suck massive goat testes. The beauty of The NFL is by sucking one year, you have more of a cake walk schedule the next year and improved chance of a better record/playoffs. 

We will be fine

That is very true. 

I think sometimes people think if I post negative things about the team I am negative about the Jets and that could not be farther from the truth. I think it is just a way to manage my own expectations and sort of purge all the bad stuff from the last game.

I am concerned about Bowles, I had hoped more of Arians had rubbed off on him, but he seems to get more and more conservative each week.. 

When you see the way Mauldin played, you just wonder why he got so few snaps the last couple weeks before. Was he still injured or is Bowles just stubborn about veterans. Pace and Cro should be on the field very sparingly.

The matchup zone we play in the secondary is a strength in that we are getting more interceptions, but a weakness in that teams are learning how to exploit it. I would like to see more variety there.

Safety seems to be much more important to our defense that you would have that as the absence of Pryor is noticeable.

Skrine is almost too important to our scheme and they are asking too much of him right now.

We cannot build around Ivory as our long term back, or even our short term back right now.

That's fair.

In terms of your concerns, Mauldin should get more playing time after earning it this week. Pace did have the key play of the game on defense so it is hard to take him away. I would rather dump Coples. Cro might not play much on Thursday because of his injury, so that will work out for itself.

Safety is very important and our depth there is nil. Allen, Pryor and now Bailey are all hurt.

I do remember yesterday in the second half starting to pass the ball on first down a little more, so I don't think that will be a major problem. We do need to establish a running game though. 

I would like to see Ridley get some carries.

We won 4 games last year.  We've already won 5 at the halfway point.  We also have the 4th-best record in the AFC.  The Dolphins, with a lot of pricey talent and the same schedule minus 2 games, are 3-5 and already fired their coach.  And if we beat Buffalo this week, we improve to 6-3 while they will be 4-5.  It's impossible not to be happy with where we are.  This Thursday's game is huge and will be a big factor in our happiness going forward, but right now, I'm enjoying the ride.

This team is good enough to beat any team, but its also bad enough to lose to any team.  Thus we are 5-3.  I look more at the fact that we haven't lost to a team with a losing record.  This team has a lot of injuries at key positions and are still 5-3.  We have taken advantage of the easier teams and so has the Patriots who haven't even played a team with a winning record yet except us.

That is very true. 

Think the game plan has gotten more conservative because our starting C & G are out?  Our backup RB is out and our starting RB is hurt?  As is our starting QB and his backup?  The starting QB has been playing great but he's the last guy you open up an offense and attack with.  Our #1 WR should be out healing and has to play because our 2 is also hurt, has been.  

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper than they didn't try to march downfield with injuries to these players and the K on the sidelines meaning we needed to go downfield, deep, to score.

TI am excited about the Jets being 5-3, and because of how bizarre this season is we have less teams to beat out for a playoff berth, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves if we think we are a good team.

How may above .500 teams have they had a chance play? 

my god

Completely agree on all of this, actually. But there's some silver lining here:

1. The Jets are probably not a Super Bowl contender, BUT, they're 5-3. Two games above .500 is a good position to be halfway through the season in the event that a team gets its sh*t together.

2. I don't even know how many great teams there are this season. The league looks awfully top-heavy this year, particularly the AFC where there are only 3 teams you can classify as great. So we're not the only ones in this boat.

3. Two of our three losses have come at the hands of confusion, mismanagement, and poor preparation. For a good coach, that is stuff that's fixable during a season. I have no idea if Bowles is a good coach or not. I think there are signs that point both ways, but there is no reason why we can't eliminate some of the sh*t that cost us the Philly and NE games.

We have a last place schedule.  

The last place schedule effects exactly two games, the Jets are 1-1 in those two games. 

I think it's fair to suggest that some of that conservatism is probably the result of a lot of injuries on both sides of the ball. I'd also like to see more aggression on both sides of the ball, particularly on offense where the run has now been roundly stuffed three weeks in a row, but overall I'm very happy with our rookie head coach. 

The Jets are not a Super Bowl team, they're a rebuilding team. Yet, they're 5-3 on the season. There's still more work to do on the roster, but it's hard to not be pleased with the team at the midpoint. 

How may above .500 teams have they had a chance play? 

my god

New England.  On the road.  And the game came down to the final possession.

End of list.

Well, I for one hope there are no less than 5 more threads about this same topic... given how irrelevant it is.

this guy gets it. 

Pff, it's a legit point - who cares what schedule we have. we've played 3 teams with with .500 or better records, and we've lost to all of them. Fck off with the excuses. 

Thursday is win or bust in my books. 

Pff, it's a legit point. 

We've played 3 teams with with .500 or better records, and we've lost to all of them. Fck off with the excuses. 

Thursday is win or bust in my books. 

Oh, so now it's .500 or better, not just winning record?  Moving the goalposts I see. 

Gotta love the guy who says "F*ck off with the excuses" the day after a win, too. 

Nobody was feeling sorry for us last year when we had to play Rogers, Cutler, Stafford, Rivers, Manning and Brady on successive weeks. When I checked after that stretch the Jets were 1-7. There was no special bonuses for who you played.

Are we a Super Bowl contender ? No way

Are we a playoff team ? Maybe

Are we better than last year ? Absolutely !!!!

I am enjoying this season so far. The last four years have been very tough to watch at times.

Spot on. The last 4 seasons have been brutal. This season is night and day. And its exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree on all of this, actually. But there's some silver lining here:

1. The Jets are probably not a Super Bowl contender, BUT, they're 5-3. Two games above .500 is a good position to be halfway through the season in the event that a team gets its sh*t together.

2. I don't even know how many great teams there are this season. The league looks awfully top-heavy this year, particularly the AFC where there are only 3 teams you can classify as great. So we're not the only ones in this boat.

3. Two of our three losses have come at the hands of confusion, mismanagement, and poor preparation. For a good coach, that is stuff that's fixable during a season. I have no idea if Bowles is a good coach or not. I think there are signs that point both ways, but there is no reason why we can't eliminate some of the sh*t that cost us the Philly and NE games.

Or we just got beat.  Happens, you don't have to find a single person to blame every time a team loses.  Especially given none of us have a clue what the prep was like going into any of the games

Oh, so now it's .500 or better, not just winning record?  Moving the goalposts I see. 

Gotta love the guy who says "F*ck off with the excuses" the day after a win, too. 

I didn't start the topic, Ace. But go ahead, put the JAX feather in your cap, i guess? We still haven't shown up and played big boy football when it matters. 

Archived