We Have Not Beaten a Winning or .500 team

JohnnyLV

I am excited about the Jets being 5-3, and because of how bizarre this season is we have less teams to beat out for a playoff berth, but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves if we think we are a good team.

The teams we have beat are 14-28 overall. 14-23 if you remove our losses.

But we have been soundly beaten by all .500 or better teams we have played. We actually were the most competitive against the 8-0 Cheatriots.

I have a lot of concerns for this team. Coaching has been very spotty and Bowles gets more conservative each week.  Our defense needs multiple turnovers for us to win games and we have yet to beat a winning team.

We are old, slow and very beaten up.

Jax win as ugly as it was, was huge.

Even at 5-3 and in a prime playoff position, when I take off my fan hat I am worried that this team is nowhere near as good as it's record. 

I hope we can keep things going, but I do not really like the way we are playing and the jury is very very much out on Bowles.

Way to find the negative in a winning record and being well-positioned to fight for a playoff spot.  We have already won more games than we did all last year.  Can't you just let yourself enjoy it a little bit? 

I didn't start the topic, Ace. But go ahead, put the JAX feather in your cap, i guess? We still haven't shown up and played big boy football when it matters. 

A Marshall drop was the only thing stopping us from beating the Pats on the road.  That's the only team with a winning record we've faced this year.  Last I checked, the Jets don't get to make the schedule.

Sure, I'll put the Jacksonville win in "my cap", whatever that means.  Because I'll take any win in the NFL.  We're + 38 in net points this year while 12 teams in the AFC are looking up at us.  This coming after a season where we went 4-12.  We're clearly doing something right.  But go ahead and be miserable if you'd like.  That's a fun way to watch football and stuff.

Would you rather lose to below .500 teams? If we beat the Raiders and Eagles they'd also be below .500 

But we didn't. That's all that matters...

And honestly, if we played them again next - we'd still lose with the way our defense is playing.

A Marshall drop was the only thing stopping us from beating the Pats on the road.  That's the only team with a winning record we've faced this year.  Last I checked, the Jets don't get to make the schedule.

Sure, I'll put the Jacksonville win in "my cap", whatever that means.  Because I'll take any win in the NFL.  We're + 38 in net points this year while 12 teams in the AFC are looking up at us.  This coming after a season where we went 4-12.  We're clearly doing something right.  But go ahead and be miserable if you'd like.  That's a fun way to watch football and stuff.

and a Fitzpatrick fumble. Enough with the excuses

But go ahead and be miserable if you'd like.  That's a fun way to watch football and stuff.

I won't be satisfied until i see the team play with consistency and discipline. Don't care about the record. If we're good enough to beat NE, great. If not, oh well. We are who we are... but the mess i'm seeing from our $120 million secondary? No... no i won't be happy with "just a win"

Think the game plan has gotten more conservative because our starting C & G are out?  Our backup RB is out and our starting RB is hurt?  As is our starting QB and his backup?  The starting QB has been playing great but he's the last guy you open up an offense and attack with.  Our #1 WR should be out healing and has to play because our 2 is also hurt, has been.  

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper than they didn't try to march downfield with injuries to these players and the K on the sidelines meaning we needed to go downfield, deep, to score.

How come folks dont undestand this!!

The Jets were awfull last year and have not been to the playoffs in years and somehow with a journeyman Qb at the helm, a depleated team supporting him we have people out here wondering why the HC might play it a little close to the vest.

Becuase even when at 100% we were and are an average team!

Come on Guys!

A Marshall drop was the only thing stopping us from beating the Pats on the road.  

...and we we're a lot more than a "drop" away from winning that game. Please tell me you don't believe that. If Fitz throw the ball into the end zone when the clock read "0:00" and Marshall dropped the ball, OK... but that's not what happened, is it..

Spot on. The last 4 seasons have been brutal. This season is night and day. And its exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea but the folks out here are already looking to blame the rookie HC as if he was supposed to magically turn around the stench this organization has had for the last four years!!!!

New England.  On the road.  And the game came down to the final possession.

End of list.

Makes this whole thread look stupid. 

The giants have perfected the art of being average in the regular season and getting hot in the postseason and winning a super bowl. If the Jets win 10 games and make the playoffs I could care less about the quality of the teams we beat. 

Let's remember that we have a revamped secondary/new QB/new head coach, new offensive Coordinator and new special teams coach. This is a team that should be 3-5 and hoping to make a big run late in the year when things start to click. We should be THRILLED to be at 5-3 at this stage of the Bowles regime. 

1. Yea but the folks out here are already looking to blame the rookie HC as if he was supposed to magically turn around the stench this organization has had for the last four years!!!!

Not true at all. In fact, i haven't seen any "hang bowles" movements... The reactions are of disappointment from the lack of consistent play from the athletes themselves. The scheme seems to be working. Guys are in the right places - they're just not finishing. 

I expect Bowles to make personnel decisions next offseason based on what he sees this year.... ie. bye bye Cro, Pace, Davis, Gilchrist, etc. 

It's not our fault we're only playing teams with a losing record, when the Pats, Broncos and Bengals are piling up all the wins. They're a combined 23-1. So somebody had to lose against them. 6 out of 8 games have been against AFC teams and I don't know how many of them have already played above mentioned teams. With 4 or 5 wins in the AFC you're very good in terms of making the playoffs as of now. 

I won't be satisfied until i see the team play with consistency and discipline. Don't care about the record. If we're good enough to beat NE, great. If not, oh well. We are who we are... but the mess i'm seeing from our $120 million secondary? No... no i won't be happy with "just a win"

It's possible to be disappointed in the secondary and still enjoy winning more games than we lose.  No one is "satisfied" except the fans of the team that wins the Super Bowl.  Does that mean we have to be as negative as we possibly can about our 5-3 record?  Nope.  Everyone wants to see improvement, because of course playing at the level we did against Jacksonville won't work against top teams.  But that doesn't mean we're not allowed to enjoy the wins. 

We are old, slow and very beaten up. Jax win as ugly as it was, was huge. Even at 5-3 and in a prime playoff position, when I take off my fan hat I am worried that this team is nowhere near as good as it's record. I hope we can keep things going, but I do not really like the way we are playing and the jury is very very much out on Bowles.

The jury is very much still out on Bowles, especially with his poor clock management. In two straight games he has inexplicably "gave up" with under two minutes left in the first half. Jets got the ball with 1:30 left and proceeded to go three and out very quickly as if they though Jax would just take the proverbial knee. They did not and Jets gave them back the ball with enough time for them to score a TD and turn a 14-3 deficit into a 14-10 ballgame. Can't have that kind of poor management of the clock when every team in the NFL knows a 1:30 is a lifetime.

johnnysd - New England is the ONLY team the Jets have played that was above .500 at the time. Oakland was 3-3, Indy was 0-1, Philadelphia was 0-2, Miami was 1-2. Washington 1-3. Got to play them as they come and I don't see too many games against winning record teams the rest of the way. Right now it's just the Giants and Patriots with over .500 records. 

1. Yea but the folks out here are already looking to blame the rookie HC as if he was supposed to magically turn around the stench this organization has had for the last four years!!!!

Its the instant gratification crowd.  The HC hasn't gotten us to 11-5, a divisional title yet?  He sucks.

People that predicted a 8-8 finish or something close are b1tching we're half way to 10-6.  

Archived