Jets' $150M secondary has yielded a grand -- 1,000 yards last 3 games :+(

kelly

-- The bloated numbers conjure up memories of last season's "Missiles-of-October" portion of the New York Jets' schedule, when they faced Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in a span of 12 days.

Over the last three games, the Jets have allowed 1,069 passing yards and eight touchdowns, with only two interceptions. Those numbers would be concerning under any circumstances, but they're downright alarming because of the caliber of the quarterbacks -- Brady, Derek Carr and Blake Bortles -- and because, unlike last year, they have established players at cornerback.

The Jets bought a new secondary for $150 million, but the big-name unit -- thought by many to be one of the best -- has underachieved.

There's always room for improvement," Darrelle Revis said after Sunday's 28-23 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. "We'll get with the coaches and see what we can get better at. I'll tell you what, though -- there weren't that many missed tackles this week."

Small consolation.

Their overall defense is getting worse, not better, and that has to change if this team wants to make a serious playoff run. The Jets (5-3) have allowed 87 points and 1,240 total yards over the last three games, a stain on Todd Bowles' defensive resume.

Some thoughts on what's happening  :

1. Looking at the Jacksonville game, Bortles did a nice job of attacking all areas. Unofficially, slot corner Buster Skrine allowed five catches for 90 yards and a touchdown; Antonio Cromartie yielded three for 77 and a touchdown; and Revis allowed four for 72. All told, the Jets allowed 10 plays of at least 20 yards. You can't blame the pass rush; it had six sacks and 14 quarterback hits. They pressured Bortles on 43 percent of his dropbacks, according to ESPN Stats & Information, yet he still had success throwing downfield.

2. Cromartie is struggling. He allowed his sixth touchdown of the season, doing what he often does -- biting hard on a double move. It couldn't have been a surprise. According to the CBS announcers, Cromartie said in a pregame production meeting that Allen Hurns likes to run double moves. This makes two bad games in a row for Cromartie, who came out of Sunday with an undisclosed thigh injury. If it keeps up, Bowles might have to consider replacing him with Marcus Williams or Dee Milliner, who could be activated this week from short-term injured reserve.

3. Calvin Pryor's high-ankle sprain has forced them to play musical chairs at the safety spot opposite Marcus Gilchrist. They've had to use three different players in his spot -- Dion Bailey, Williams and Rontez Miles. Pryor isn't known for his pass coverage, but his absence has disrupted the continuity in the secondary.

4. The Jets have faced more empty formations (no one in the backfield) than any team in the league (65 snaps). The book is out on them: Spread the field with receivers and throw quick passes, neutralizing their talented defensive line. Obviously, the Jaguars deviated from that approach, attacking downfield, but we saw the Oakland Raiders and New England Patriots have success with it. Bowles has to figure out a way to plug the leaks.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55958/jets-150m-secondary-has-yielded-a-grand-1000-yards-last-3-games

Cromartie stinks, bench him and thing swill get a lot better.  He should return kick offs though, he has always been good there. 

Cro used to cover up for mistakes by his speed and long arms, lose even a bit of speed in this league and you start just missing instead of just getting there.

Cromartie stinks, bench him and thing swill get a lot better.  He should return kick offs though, he has always been good there. 

Cro used to cover up for mistakes by his speed and long arms, lose even a bit of speed in this league and you start just missing instead of just getting there.

Good thing we can cut him during the offseason without any cap ramifications. 

Small consolation?

thyre also a big reason we are 5-3 coming off a 4-12 season and among the league leaders in turnovers (#2).

we have 2 players in the top 10 in INTs, when was the last time you could say that?

its bad now...but not all doom and gloom.

tyrod Taylor is not Brady, Carr, or bottles...its a different style all together.

i think we need to relax a little.  

This year is crazy, there are close to 20 quarterbacks who can throw for 4000 yards this year.  20.  Alex Smith is on pace for 3900.  Giving up yards is not as big a deal as it was, it's more about impact plays now, can you get an INT.  Now, obviously they have been bad the last 3 weeks, but passing yardage is insane.

Actually, it's kind of sad the franchise has still only had one 4000 yard passer.

Last 3 games we had a lot of players in and out of injury...Unfortunately you cant prevent injuries by paying players a lot of money or not a lot of money they play a contact sport and they tend to get hurt. We have a pretty good team this year a lot of other teams wish they had the type of players we do I wish the glass half empty members could just be happy for once.

This year is crazy, there are close to 20 quarterbacks who can throw for 4000 yards this year.  20.  Alex Smith is on pace for 3900.  Giving up yards is not as big a deal as it was, it's more about impact plays now, can you get an INT.  Now, obviously they have been bad the last 3 weeks, but passing yardage is insane.

Actually, it's kind of sad the franchise has still only had one 4000 yard passer.

And that was in 14 games before all the rule changes favoring the offense.. Not to mention the D-line could head slap the O-line and QB's could be hit..

And that was in 14 games before all the rule changes favoring the offense.. Not to mention the D-line could head slap the O-line and QB's could be hit..

I'm not taking away what he did.   But in the last 15 years, with all the rule changes, no one could match it.

the secondary is old and slow , how can you let a wide out get behind you

Could ask every secondary the Jaguars played this year the same question...Hurns has almost 650 yards and 6 touchdowns so far and Robinson is over 700 with 6 touchdowns the two have been just as good as Decker / Marshal have been for us...Jags are an up and coming team, they are not the Jags from the last couple of seasons anymore and they deserve some credit too. Cromartie defiantly has slowed down a bit perhaps that is why Bowels has him fielding punts now maybe he needs to get back into shape but the Jag receivers should get some credit also.

the secondary is old and slow , how can you let a wide out get behind you

Guess you didn't watch Seattle versus Carolina...when Greg Olsen split Cam Chancellor and Richard Sherman for a game winning 20 yard TD catch inside 2 minutes...the basic two minute defense specifically is no one gets behind you, but Sherman and Chancellor let it happen...

As referenced above, this is happening across the league.  Jets fans sound like this only happens to us...

Could ask every secondary the Jaguars played this year the same question...Hurns has almost 650 yards and 6 touchdowns so far and Robinson is over 700 with 6 touchdowns the two have been just as good as Decker / Marshal have been for us...Jags are an up and coming team, they are not the Jags from the last couple of seasons anymore and they deserve some credit too. Cromartie defiantly has slowed down a bit perhaps that is why Bowels has him fielding punts now maybe he needs to get back into shape but the Jag receivers should get some credit also.

If Jets fans REALLY REALLY want to be pissed, it should be less about the D and more about the Jags drafted Hurns, Robinson, and Marqise Lee all in last year's stacked WR class that we landed...Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans...

How do the Jags find 2 elite WRs and a guy who has the making of an elite #3 and every team in the NFL seems to have found a starting WR in last year's draft...but the team that went into the draft with the largest hole at WR...the damn Jets...got two turd sandwiches...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I saw a stat that the Jets were perfect in the Red zone yesterday. Now that doesn't mean sh*t when they are throwing bombs for TD's from outside the 20 of course, but it's still a good stat as the Jags were there more than once.

Our D is good. They just need to stiffen up. We played some unassumingly good teams the past two weeks with young up and coming top notch QB's and WR's. It's real. We could/should have won the Pats game and then took the Raiders and Jags a bit lightly and won one of those games. We need to be UP for all games, but let's not forget that Bowles is 8 games into his HC career and we have injuries all over the place. All said, I'm concerned but not down yet. Let's see how we play the Bills at home on the national stage. We come out and play well I'll be ok. We don't and concern goes to being nervous.

Cro is shot and I don't believe he's been injured once, outside of a strained labia, and should be a bad half from being taken out of the starting lineup.

I refuse that Pryor, out box safety, is the reason why we're all of a sudden horrible against the pass. 

I think it's far more likely that Brady and Beli gave the league the blueprint, and our coaching staff hasn't adjusted. Also, Cromartie giving up monster play after monster play doesn't help. 

Small consolation?

thyre also a big reason we are 5-3 coming off a 4-12 season and among the league leaders in turnovers (#2).

we have 2 players in the top 10 in INTs, when was the last time you could say that?

its bad now...but not all doom and gloom.

tyrod Taylor is not Brady, Carr, or bottles...its a different style all together.

i think we need to relax a little.  

Its pretty poor, man. People look at the 5-3 record and want to ignore our weaknesses pointing to a plus .500 record. There are lots of things that are not working for us. For instance, we have given up almost 2k passing yards in 8 games with 14 TDs and 10 ints. We've faced QBs such as McCown, Luck, Bradford, Tannehill and Kirk Cousins. They are all struggling QBs this year. Yes, we faced Brady, Carr and Bortles as well, who are having good to great years statistically. With the amount of money we put in to our secondary, they have been a bust this year. Im not a negative nancy. I just don't have my green glasses on.

If Jets fans REALLY REALLY want to be pissed, it should be less about the D and more about the Jags drafted Hurns, Robinson, and Marqise Lee all in last year's stacked WR class that we landed...Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans...
How do the Jags find 2 elite WRs and a guy who has the making of an elite #3 and every team in the NFL seems to have found a starting WR in last year's draft...but the team that went into the draft with the largest hole at WR...the damn Jets...got two turd sandwiches...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yup. I got flamed for applauding them for loading up at WR in that draft. Hurns was actually UDFA. Crazy how much it changed the arc of the team, and more specifically the development of their young QB. 

How many of the 1000+ yds did Cro give up?

Revis looks great, Skrine is banged up but holding his own, Williams is rock solid in coverage.   Some of this is on the lb'ers but I wouldn't be surprised if Cro hasn't given up half of the 1000.   

Revis has definitely allowed some completions that he didn't allow last year. Not sure what to make of it, he doesn't look like he's lost a step. He looks more like he's going at about 90% effort every once in a while. Just behind the play, sort of. Normally I'd be like "oh, well it's how the league is", but with him, it stands out to me.

Revis has definitely allowed some completions that he didn't allow last year. Not sure what to make of it, he doesn't look like he's lost a step. He looks more like he's going at about 90% effort every once in a while. Just behind the play, sort of. Normally I'd be like "oh, well it's how the league is", but with him, it stands out to me.

maybe a half step, and he's got a nagging hammy but still dominates.   He broke up one ball for an int vs Jax and had a pick 6 bounce off his face mask.    It was a weird game all around but the momentum actually changed right after Revis dropped the easy int.   If he makes that play the Jets win in a rout and we go back to complaining about 'arm strength'. 

maybe a half step, and he's got a nagging hammy but still dominates.   He broke up one ball for an int vs Jax and had a pick 6 bounce off his face mask.    It was a weird game all around but the momentum actually changed right after Revis dropped the easy int.   If he makes that play the Jets win in a rout and we go back to complaining about 'arm strength'. 

True enough.

He's not doing anything worth complaining about. It's just there is a high standard for him, so when you see a completion in front of him that he doesn't even make difficult for the WR, you can't help but make a mental note.

I cannot believe the amount of bumps and bruises this team is winning in spite of.

How many of the 1000+ yds did Cro give up?

Revis looks great, Skrine is banged up but holding his own, Williams is rock solid in coverage.   Some of this is on the lb'ers but I wouldn't be surprised if Cro hasn't given up half of the 1000.   

Skrine has been pretty bad the last two games. Injuries are nagging his play. He got beat twice in on Le TD drive. Hard. 

I think Hurns was a UDFA but that's besides the point...I think its time to put Idzik behind us and move forward our new management has put togeather a pretty good team for us and they seem to be pretty good at evaluating talent

It does feel like he's somewhat on cruise control.  I worry, he knows this was his last contract and most of it guaranteed.  With him it's always been about the money - Is his passion gone?

Or will he pick it up as the season goes on?

Archived