Jets' $150M secondary has yielded a grand -- 1,000 yards last 3 games :+(

kelly

–- By Antonio Cromartie's standards, this season has not been close to how he wants to play.

“For me, it hasn’t been good,” the New York Jets cornerback said when asked how he has played this season. “It’s not up to my standards and what I look for or what my teammates and organization looks for. It’s a long season and you just got to pick up from the previous week and continue to move on and let your play continue to improve.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Cromartie has surrendered six touchdowns in eight games this season.

The 10-year veteran, who missed last week’s loss to the Buffalo Bills with a quad injury, believes he knows why he has struggled at times this season.“Honestly, I think it is more so technique stuff,” Cromartie said. “I think I get myself in trouble trying to play the (opponent’s offensive) scheme and what they get so used to doing and then they change it up. It is just for me just go out and play football and not look at what the offense is lined up in.

“I think that is what got me in trouble the first half of the season,” Cromartie added. “Just play the way I need to and don’t think about what they are doing scheme-wise.”Head coach Todd Bowles said that Cromartie, who was limited in practice on Wednesday, will remain a starter if he’s healthy enough to play against Houston on Sunday.“Yes he would, because he is a starter,” Bowles said. “He earned it in summer camp and preseason and over the years. And we decided to start him.”

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/56244/antonio-cromartie-believes-he-knows-why-his-season-hasnt-been-good

–- By Antonio Cromartie's standards, this season has not been close to how he wants to play.

“For me, it hasn’t been good,” the New York Jets cornerback said when asked how he has played this season. “It’s not up to my standards and what I look for or what my teammates and organization looks for. It’s a long season and you just got to pick up from the previous week and continue to move on and let your play continue to improve.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Cromartie has surrendered six touchdowns in eight games this season.

The 10-year veteran, who missed last week’s loss to the Buffalo Bills with a quad injury, believes he knows why he has struggled at times this season.“Honestly, I think it is more so technique stuff,” Cromartie said. “I think I get myself in trouble trying to play the (opponent’s offensive) scheme and what they get so used to doing and then they change it up. It is just for me just go out and play football and not look at what the offense is lined up in.

“I think that is what got me in trouble the first half of the season,” Cromartie added. “Just play the way I need to and don’t think about what they are doing scheme-wise.”Head coach Todd Bowles said that Cromartie, who was limited in practice on Wednesday, will remain a starter if he’s healthy enough to play against Houston on Sunday.“Yes he would, because he is a starter,” Bowles said. “He earned it in summer camp and preseason and over the years. And we decided to start him.”

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/56244/antonio-cromartie-believes-he-knows-why-his-season-hasnt-been-good

WTF????  This ******* guy.  He's really starting to make me scratch my head.  How the **** can you say this?  Who cares what he did 10 years ago or 4 months ago.  He's a total ******* liability RIGHT NOW and it hurts YOUR TEAM!

Jezus.  Un ******* real. 

WTF????  This ******* guy.  He's really starting to make me scratch my head.  How the **** can you say this?  Who cares what he did 10 years ago or 4 months ago.  He's a total ******* liability RIGHT NOW and it hurts YOUR TEAM!

Jezus.  Un ******* real. 

That last part was ridiculous. Even more than - or as much as - saying he keeps his job despite bad play during the season, the last thing Cromartie did over the summer is earn any starting job. If anything it was the opposite, as we were fed excuses (I think by Bowles as well but can't remember now) that Cro, like lots of veterans, starts slower in camp and then comes on & he's not who we have to worry about.

He was flat-out handed the job by the "best guys play" coach who handpicked him. Now, he earned it. Wowza.

That last part was ridiculous. Even more than - or as much as - saying he keeps his job despite bad play during the season, the last thing Cromartie did over the summer is earn any starting job. If anything it was the opposite, as we were fed excuses (I think by Bowles as well but can't remember now) that Cro, like lots of veterans, starts slower in camp and then comes on & he's not who we have to worry about.

He was flat-out handed the job by the "best guys play" coach who handpicked him. Now, he earned it. Wowza.

100%.  Is one of Cro's kids, Bowles grandson?  Seriously?  Because this is completely illogical.  All accounts this preseason had Cro getting whipped, left and right by guys like Shaq Evans.  But he earned the job?  Yeah, ok.

And even if he did, 8 weeks in and he's playing as bad as I would out there...you dont reconsider things a bit?  I thought Bowles plays the best players.  Cro is the worst in the league right now.  It's this and his comments like "we're not going to let teams dictate how we play" are starting to really make question the intelligence level of this coach.  He already lacks situational awareness, now this sh*t? For ****s sake, man.  Enough already. 

100%.  Is one of Cro's kids, Bowles grandson?  Seriously?  Because this is completely illogical.  All accounts this preseason had Cro getting whipped, left and right by guys like Shaq Evans.  But he earned the job?  Yeah, ok.

And even if he did, 8 weeks in and he's playing as bad as I would out there...you dont reconsider things a bit?  I thought Bowles plays the best players.  Cro is the worst in the league right now.  It's this and his comments like "we're not going to let teams dictate how we play" are starting to really make question the intelligence level of this coach.  He already lacks situational awareness, now this sh*t? For ****s sake, man.  Enough already. 

I've been saying for quite a while that Bowles does not necessarily play the best guys, despite the alleged reputation for the opposite. He plays "his" guys, like his mentor Parcells. When he first got here Geno was his guy who was handed the job, and Fitz was the backup. Everyone knew it, including Fitzpatrick. This was the way it was until Geno Geno'd himself into getting punched out of the job (which is still pretty funny) before he even gave himself a chance to fail on the field in preseason. lol

Try to name 1 starter on this team who wasn't (a) handed the job outright, or (b) only got his starting job due to injury to an anointed starter. One guy who worked his way up this summer - or was coached up - to take a starter's job away. Every one of our starters isn't that good that replacing him shouldn't be possible. 

I've been saying for quite a while that Bowles does not necessarily play the best guys, despite the alleged reputation for the opposite. He plays "his" guys, like his mentor Parcells. When he first got here Geno was his guy who was handed the job, and Fitz was the backup. Everyone knew it, including Fitzpatrick. This was the way it was until Geno Geno'd himself into getting punched out of the job (which is still pretty funny) before he even gave himself a chance to fail on the field in preseason. lol

Try to name 1 starter on this team who wasn't (a) handed the job outright, or (b) only got his starting job due to injury to an anointed starter. One guy who worked his way up this summer - or was coached up - to take a starter's job away. Every one of our starters isn't that good that replacing him shouldn't be possible. 

Yep.  The real question is, what happens if/when Cro gets beat by Washington or Hopkins for a long bomb that changes the course of a game, again?  Is he still the starter or does he take a seat?   How many times does it take before he hasnt earned the job?

Jezus.  Un ******* real. 

To date, this is the most alarming thing I've seen from Bowles. 

Yep.  The real question is, what happens if/when Cro gets beat by Washington or Hopkins for a long bomb that changes the course of a game, again?  Is he still the starter or does he take a seat?   How many times does it take before he hasnt earned the job?

Secondary looked great without him last week. Not having the enormous hole that eventually gets exploited is a nice advantage. With Cro in the game, I'd bet that Robert Woods or some other scrub pops off for 4 catches, 80 yards and an extra TD making the loss much worse, as if that's possible.

Secondary looked great without him last week. Not having the enormous hole that eventually gets exploited is a nice advantage. With Cro in the game, I'd bet that Robert Woods or some other scrub pops off for 4 catches, 80 yards and an extra TD making the loss much worse, as if that's possible.

I really just dont get it.  He's done nothing to earn the job, at all.  How can you keep pumping that sh*t and expect people to buy it? 

Jezus.  Un ******* real. 

Agreed, things like this just totally toss out the best player plays philosophy.  If you play badly, even as a vet you play the better player.  I am getting this sinking feeling that Bowles is Rex version 2.0 as far as favoring vets who know his system but can't play vs guys that are actually better.  If Cromartie gets torched in the next couple of games this lies squarely on Bowles door step.

To date, this is the most alarming thing I've seen from Bowles. 

Depends how hard you're looking. For all the nonsense about the best guy playing, from way back when, I can't recall an actual competition at a single starting position. Entrenched veteran holdover? Your job is safe, unless we've paid a newcomer a lot of money since the end of the prior season. Then it's their starting jobs that are safe. 

I wonder if it stems from his being an every-week starter for a bunch of consecutive years. Like a fraternity, of sorts. That once a player has earned a job as starter at some point, he doesn't need to keep proving himself. 

Also some of his post-game comments are equally alarming. We'll see; it's still his first year on the job and a lot of people learn a lot of things after they fail doing it their own way at first. The problem is most do not, and they tend to keep repeating the same mistakes until they're out of a job.

Agreed, things like this just totally toss out the best player plays philosophy.  If you play badly, even as a vet you play the better player.  I am getting this sinking feeling that Bowles is Rex version 2.0 as far as favoring vets who know his system but can't play vs guys that are actually better.  If Cromartie gets torched in the next couple of games this lies squarely on Bowles door step.

The only exception to that, that I can think of offhand, is if non-starters are injured and he's not being totally forthcoming on the injury report. Wouldn't be honest, but it would be an adequate justification.

Depends how hard you're looking. For all the nonsense about the best guy playing, from way back when, I can't recall an actual competition at a single starting position. Entrenched veteran holdover? Your job is safe, unless we've paid a newcomer a lot of money since the end of the prior season. Then it's their starting jobs that are safe. 

I wonder if it stems from his being an every-week starter for a bunch of consecutive years. Like a fraternity, of sorts. That once a player has earned a job as starter at some point, he doesn't need to keep proving himself. 

Also some of his post-game comments are equally alarming. We'll see; it's still his first year on the job and a lot of people learn a lot of things after they fail doing it their own way at first. The problem is most do not, and they tend to keep repeating the same mistakes until they're out of a job.

I didn't say it was the only alarming thing, just the most alarming ... and you should know me well enough by now to know that my take isn't superficial. I see a lot of the in-game stuff as things he can evolve around. I honestly don't know what to make of his post-game comments where he reveals ignorance about game situations. Not sure if he's mis-speaking in the press conference, or truly lost and surrounded by people that aren't helping him.

The reason I say this thing with Cro is most alarming is because it reveals a level of stubbornness that suggests he's going to try and will players to be something they are not. Sometimes, like with young guys being developed, that could be a good thing. Other times though, with veterans, it may burns us to infinity if he doesn't become more amenable to alternatives. This is the type of thing that I see as philosophical in nature, therefore it becomes much harder to change than say managing the clock during the 2 minute drill. 

I didn't say it was the only alarming thing, just the most alarming ... and you should know me well enough by now to know that my take isn't superficial. I see a lot of the in-game stuff as things he can evolve around. I honestly don't know what to make of his post-game comments where he reveals ignorance about game situations. Not sure if he's mis-speaking in the press conference, or truly lost and surrounded by people that aren't helping him.

The reason I say this thing with Cro is most alarming is because it reveals a level of stubbornness that suggests he's going to try and will players to be something they are not. Sometimes, like with young guys being developed, that could be a good thing. Other times though, with veterans, it may burns us to infinity if he doesn't become more amenable to alternatives. This is the type of thing that I see as philosophical in nature, therefore it becomes much harder to change than say managing the clock during the 2 minute drill. 

Yes, I can read. I didn't say anything contrary to the post I quoted. Your opinion is it was the most alarming thing. My opinion is it is consistent with (alarming) things he'd previously said. I thought it was equally - or more - alarming when he displayed his stubbornness in past post-game pressers. I also thought it was somewhat alarming - now I see it is confirmed that it should have been equally alarming - that he handed jobs out, and no one can earn a starting spot (unless an open spot is there or unless there's an injury).

Even Geno Smith didn't have to earn a starting job to be anointed as such (the job was Geno's to lose was the closest he came to even hinting the job could possibly go to Fitz); what does that say about Bowles? I even got into it with 1 or 2 people who asserted that was a smart thing to do. We now see there was nothing behind it. No strategy. Geno was the guy he wanted to have the job, so the job was handed to him.

All 3 things point to the same stubbornness and lack of reflection of his own decisions (and possibly an inability to do so, which I hope isn't the case). It shows insecurity in that he will not admit he was ever wrong about something, even so far as to publicly boast the same reasoning after failure as he did before.

Yes, I can read. I didn't say anything contrary to the post I quoted. Your opinion is it was the most alarming thing. My opinion is it is consistent with (alarming) things he'd previously said. I thought it was equally - or more - alarming when he displayed his stubbornness in past post-game pressers. I also thought it was somewhat alarming - now I see it is confirmed that it should have been equally alarming - that he handed jobs out, and no one can earn a starting spot (unless an open spot is there or unless there's an injury).

Even Geno Smith didn't have to earn a starting job to be anointed as such (the job was Geno's to lose was the closest he came to even hinting the job could possibly go to Fitz); what does that say about Bowles? I even got into it with 1 or 2 people who asserted that was a smart thing to do. We now see there was nothing behind it. No strategy. Geno was the guy he wanted to have the job, so the job was handed to him.

All 3 things point to the same stubbornness and lack of reflection of his own decisions (and possibly an inability to do so, which I hope isn't the case). It shows insecurity in that he will not admit he was ever wrong about something, even so far as to publicly boast the same reasoning after failure as he did before.

I think sometimes you mean things different than what you write. It's fine, I do it too sometimes. 

Anyway, yes. I agree with what you've said here and how you've connected the examples to one over-arching trait. 

-- It mattered for Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to best New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis.

"The test, the media blowing up Revis Island -- I had to come out and answer," Hopkins said.

He did in a big way. Hopkins dominated Revis one-on-one in their first battle during the Texans' 24-17 win over the Jets.Hopkins was asked if he'd been told all week how tough it would be playing against Revis. As he replied, he used air quotes as he said the words "Revis Island."

"Yeah, of course," he said. "It's 'Revis Island,' as y'all say."

What did he do to Revis Island?

"Played football," Hopkins said. "Went out there and played my game. Nothing special."

It actually was a special performance, though. Hopkins finished the game with 118 yards and two touchdowns. The first came when he ran a post route that left Revis sitting on the grass in defeat as Hopkins waltzed into the end zone. It was a 61-yard touchdown catch on a perfectly placed pass by quarterback T.J. Yates."A guy like Darrelle Revis has been in the NFL a long time," Hopkins said. "They study tendencies. They know what you're doing from the way you line up. When you run a route, you almost have to be perfect at it. You can't slip. Timing has to be perfect with the quarterback going against a smart guy like him."

Hopkins' second touchdown came on a 20-yard pass from T.J. Yates in the third quarter that he caught while being covered by Jets corner Marcus Williams.Hopkins began to see more double-teams after Revis left the game with a concussion. Revis handled Hopkins on his own, but Revis couldn't prevent Hopkins' usual theatrics. There was at least one one-handed grab along the sideline from Hopkins. And it could have been worse. Hopkins was also open in the first quarter for what might have been a touchdown, but quarterback T.J. Yates overthrew him.

"With my mentality, I'm one-on-one, I'm going to win," Hopkins said. "No matter who's out there, I don't really care."

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14199097/deandre-hopkins-houston-texans-gets-better-matchup-new-york-jets-cornerback-darrelle-revis

This is the real reason why the team is losing. Most of the money is on the defensive side of the ball, when the much vaunted defense can't contain replacement level QBs, then you can't expect any wins. When they went 4-1, that was in large part due to the defense playing exceptionally well. 

By now, you've seen the play over and over: Darrelle Revis getting beat for a 61-yard touchdown by DeAndre Hopkins. It was a rare and stunning sight, akin to Steph Curry missing a chippy.

One Revis apologist on the radio said the New York Jets' star cornerback tried to bait T.J. Yates into an interception by purposely giving a cushion, figuring the Houston Texans' third-string quarterback would underthrow the deep ball. It doesn't look that way on tape. To me, this was a great corner getting toasted by a great receiver. Hey, it happens.

What struck me as I reviewed the tape was what happened after the touchdown, which occurred with 3:04 remaining in the second quarter.Revis, who matched up with Hopkins almost exclusively in the first half, was deployed differently in the third quarter. It wasn't Revis versus Hopkins on every play.Revis played only 14 snaps in the third quarter, leaving the game after suffering a concussion. Unofficially, he covered Hopkins on seven of those plays. He was on Nate Washington for three plays and Cecil Shorts for three, with one play undefinable.Compare that to the first half: Revis matched up with Hopkins on 36 of 42 plays. He covered Washington twice, Shorts once. We'll put the other three in a miscellaneous category.

Did the coaching staff lose confidence in Revis after the big touchdown? The coaches will say no, but the evidence suggests otherwise. To be fair, it's possible that Revis' responsibilities changed in the third quarter based on the Texans' formations. It also was a small sample size because of the head injury; we'll never know how the rest of the game would've played out.

What we do know is this: Revis will be under intense scrutiny when he returns from his concussion, with observers wondering if he's still an elite corner at the age of 30.As for the actual touchdown, it was a tough cover. Revis had no safety help and Yates held the ball for 3.6 seconds, according to my stopwatch. The Jets went with a 5-3-3 alignment to counter the Texans' heavy package. It was well-executed by Houston, which used play-action and max protection (eight blockers) to give Yates plenty of time. He had only two receivers on pass routes, and his throw to Hopkins traveled 56 yards in the air.

"He gave up a touchdown," coach Todd Bowles said of Revis. "That's about the size of it."

It was a difficult spot for a cornerback, but Revis built his reputation by delivering in difficult spots.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56438/closer-look-at-darrelle-revis-bad-day-in-houston-reveals-interesting-twist

Darrelle Revis got beat by DeAndre Hopkins on Sunday, just not as badly as you think

Since early in his career Darrelle Revis has been held to a higher standard than any other cornerback. It's why people made a big deal out of him giving up a two yard touchdown pass to Pierre Garcon earlier this year and why Steve Johnson's eight catch, for 75 yards and a touchdown, against incredibly soft-coverage in 2011 continues to be talked about as if Revis got completely dominated. This is the downside of being as great as Revis has been throughout his career. People expect perfection every single game and the fact that part of the job description of a cornerback is you're going to get beat doesn't seem to matter at all.

Cornerback is one of the hardest positions in sports. You have to defend incredibly fast and shifty receivers who are running forward and know exactly where they want to go all while back-peddling and trying to guess where said receiver is trying to go. Because of this cornerbacks are always going to get beat, that's just part of the job, but because Revis has mostly been the exception to this throughout his career people are always going to overreact when he has a game like he did on Sunday.

Revis had a bad day, DeAndre Hopkins had a good one. Hopkins is one of the best young receivers in the league and on Sunday he became one of the few receivers ever to collect bragging rights on the future Hall of Fame cornerback. But did Revis look washed? Did he get completely dominated? No, no he did not.Hopkins finished the game with five catches for 118 yards and two touchdowns. The second touchdown was a 20 yard catch and came against Marcus Williams after Revis left the game with a concussion. Simple math shows that Revis gave up four catches for 98 yards and a touchdown, the touchdown went for 61 yards (and was really just an incredible route by Hopkins, more of that later) which leaves three catches for 37 yards. In fact the play Hopkins beat Revis the worst on went incomplete as T.J. Yates overthrew Hopkins. You could argue that leans towards Revis actually having a worst day then we all thought but again that's just one play and the position is cornerback. 

So, let's go through those four receptions as take a look at how "bad" Revis played.

1) The first catch came on the first drive. The Texans faced a third-and-four from their own 26. In the first screenshot you'll see Revis lined up in soft-coverage, five yards off the line of scrimmage. That's Buster Skrine with the tight-coverage on Nate Washington. In the second screenshot you'll see Washington break underneath Revis on an out-route which frees up Hopkins to slide in comfortably on a five yard in-route and pick up the first down. It was really just an excellent play-call designed to take advantage of the soft-soverage from Revis. This isn't the first time we've seen this this season and until Todd Bowles does something different it won't be the last.

2)  The second catch went for 14 yards and Yates hit Hopkins with a perfect back-shoulder throw. Revis had tight coverage and it appeared Hopkins got away with a little pushoff. Revis had good coverage but it was a great route and even better throw and there's not much Revis or anyone can do about a play executed that well. Just look at how tight the coverage is on the pic below, Yates placed it perfectly on Hopkins' back shoulder and there was nothing Revis could do to play it any better.

3)    The third catch came on second-and-12 on their own 13-yard line, Hopkins ran up field, faked inside and cut outside for an 18 yard gain. Revis stayed on his hip but once again Yates perfectly dropped the ball right into Hopkins' hand as he made a spectacular one-handed catch and double foot tap to get both feet in bounds. Again look at the pic below, it wasn't bad coverage it was just perfect execution for the quarterback and receiver.

4)   This was, of course, the big one. Hopkins again got Revis with a fake but this time it was for 61 yards and a touchdown. There's no picture to go along with it because I couldn't get a picture to show a good enough view of exactly what happened (and none of these are gifs because we are not allowed to post gifs "without the express written consent of the NFL"), but essentially Hopkins runs a post route, Revis had tight coverage on him from the line and right as Hopkins gets to the 50-yard line he dips his shoulder right into Revis and immediately cuts for the post. A lot of people think Hopkins pushed off here but it's too hard to see if he pushed off or if he just sold it with the shoulder dip and created separation that way. Either way Jets fans can't complain because Revis built his career on winning those subtle nudge battles.

Ironically the play Revis looked the worst on was the incompletion immediately after Hopkins' first catch. Hopkins dusted Revis with a quick hesitation/stutter-step but Yates simply overthrew him. But one of the things that people seem to be holding on to when saying Revis isn't Revis anymore is how many short passes he is giving up. This is ridiculous to say because all you have to do is look to see that Revis is giving the receiver so much cushion that he is essentially giving the receiver those short catches. This isn't new, he's always done this (like in that game against Stevie Johnson), but it does appear Bowles is having him play in soft coverage more than usual. Revis isn't quite as good as he once was, but he is still an elite cornerback and is still playing like it. Games like this just prove it even more because if any other corner had this stat-line against Hopkins no one would even blink, but because of the Revis standard people are making it seem like he got beat up and down the field all game long. However, one thing has become clear, these young, fast, quick and shifty as hell receivers are going to cause Revis, and every other corner, problems from time to time. 

>      http://www.scout.com/nfl/jets/story/1615793-all-22-revis-day-not-as-bad-as-you-think

-- The New York Jets ruled their best cornerback, Darrelle Revis, out Sunday against Miami due to a concussion.

Revis did not practice this week and has been sent home after treatment in the mornings. Revis suffered the head injury during the Jets' 24-17 loss at Houston."[Revis feels a] little better each day, but not good enough for physical activity," head coach Todd Bowles said. "The [concussion] protocol is the protocol, but we got to clear him and he's got to feel better. There is always concern when somebody gets a concussion. You just don't know how bad it affects them."

The Jets (5-5) are expecting to have starting center Nick Mangold, who went through a full practice and is listed as probable with a laceration in his right snapping hand.Defensive end Sheldon Richardson, who missed last Sunday's game with a hamstring injury, also participated in a full practice and is ready to return on Sunday.

The Jets, who will also be without safety Dion Bailey (ankle) according to Bowles, will likely start cornerback Marcus Williams in place of Revis."Anytime you lose a guy like that, you lose a one-on-one matchup guy," Bowles said of Revis. "... I like [Williams'] poise. He is very patient out there. The moment is not too big for him, the ball finds him, very instinctive, very smart. [But Williams] and the rest of the defense can probably work on tackling and wrapping up [more]."

"We definitely feel like... every game from here on out is a must-win for us," Williams said. "We need this win very bad. We know we are still in it for the playoff hunt. It is going to start this Sunday. I feel every game from here on out is a must-win."

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14236477/new-york-jets-rule-cb-darrelle-revis-miami-dolphins-due-concussion

Archived