A Study in contrast- Bowles vs Ryan

Jetster

I'm still trying to get use to Todd Bowles style. While Bowles cares about stopping running games he's not nearly close to Rex on execution of it. But, Bowles is obsessed with turnovers. Personally, I don't really think we've seen the real Todd Bowles defense. Every time we turn a corner another safety goes down, or another CB gets nicked up. We give up plays but the defense also makes big plays.

While we're all bummed with giving up 430 yards to the Jags, the truth to that game is more about how lucky the a Jags got recovering their fumbles. The Jets forced the ball out many more times than they recovered. They could have had another 3 TOs.

The opposite of the TOs is we are giving up big plays 3 weeks in a row, but I watch redzone & it seems that's happening in every game I see. I think benching Cromartie will be a huge help & guys getting healthy will help too. Our lack of a running game is hurting out TOP & that's also hurting the defense forcing them to defend more snaps. I'd be less worried about our defense on TNF if our offense was healthy. I'm hoping our veteran presence on offense will prevail knowing we will have 9 full days off, even our banged up guys give it 110%.

In today's NFL you're going to give up yardage.  A lot of it.  As bad as we've been lately in the pass yardage department we've overall been a lot better than most of the league.  Football Outsiders ranks us 6th in pass defense.  It also ranks us 1st against the run, while Rex's Bills that you tout as being better at run-stuffing are ranked 26th against the run (12th against the pass).  We've allowed the fewest rushing yards, just 2 rushing TD's, and forced 5 fumbles (4 of which we recovered).  We're doing quite well against the run.

All you can really do is try to get after the QB and force turnovers, then score points off those turnovers.  To date we've done pretty well at that, which is why we're 5-3 and + 38 in net points.  And as you said, hopefully our recent difficulties will improve as we get healthier.

I'm still trying to get use to Todd Bowles style. While Bowles cares about stopping running games he's not nearly close to Rex on execution of it. But, Bowles is obsessed with turnovers. Personally, I don't really think we've seen the real Todd Bowles defense. Every time we turn a corner another safety goes down, or another CB gets nicked up. We give up plays but the defense also makes big plays.

While we're all bummed with giving up 430 yards to the Jags, the truth to that game is more about how lucky the a Jags got recovering their fumbles. The Jets forced the ball out many more times than they recovered. They could have had another 3 TOs.

The opposite of the TOs is we are giving up big plays 3 weeks in a row, but I watch redzone & it seems that's happening in every game I see. I think benching Cromartie will be a huge help & guys getting healthy will help too. Our lack of a running game is hurting out TOP & that's also hurting the defense forcing them to defend more snaps. I'd be less worried about our defense on TNF if our offense was healthy. I'm hoping our veteran presence on offense will prevail knowing we will have 9 full days off, even our banged up guys give it 110%.

Jets are giving up almost 30 pts / game over the last 3.  I don't care what the style or game plan is, 30 pts is too much.  

If I told you going into the season that the Jets would score as much as Rodgers led GB Packers we all would have said Super Bowl given Bowles reputation on D and the talent Maccagnan signed.   The defense hasn't been the same since 3rd and 17, time to wake up.  

Always been Rex's weakness

Pay no attention to your player's strengths, move, shuffle and squeeze them into uncomfortable spots required to desperately try and recreate Daddy Buddy's 1980's defenses because it's the only defense Rex has ever heard of

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Philosophically, they're the same exact coach.  Defensive minded, run first, who loves to man up and blitz a lot and has very little to no involvement on offense. It's not like your watching an entirely new team out there...they do much of what we've watched them do under Rex, maybe a little less game to game scheming, from what I can tell.  The biggest difference is as you mentioned, the TO's.  Otherwise, we've seen a lot of in game similarities so far; conservative play calling when it calls for aggressive, D failing in the big moments, terrible challenges, questionable personnel usage, etc. 

The true contrast is their personalities and their approach to the game.  Time will tell who's approach is more effective but I like what we got in Bowles.  I think his level headed approach and treating each game like exactly that, just a game, helps focus and preparation.   His demeanor makes it easier to not get caught up in the hoopla that surrounds the NFL on a weekly basis.  Rex makes things personal and likes to take it all upon himself.  The way he does it, creates unnecessary attention. I think its because he wants to try to relieve the team of any extra pressure but I dont think he realizes that it has the opposite effect. 

Whereas Bowles is strictly business.  No extra flare, no added pressure, no boasting - he just treats everything that comes his way the exact same way.  BB has mastered this and its the reason the Pats are typically the most prepared team in the league.  Teams take on the identity of their Head Coach and I think you're seeing that this year.  Nothing seems to big for this team and they keep their cool even in stressful stints of the game.  Fitz has really been a solid extension of Bowles on the field.  They're similar and I think that's a big reason the Jets are 5-3.

Philosophically, they're the same exact coach.  Defensive minded, run first, who loves to man up and blitz a lot and has very little to no involvement on offense. It's not like your watching an entirely new team out there...they do much of what we've watched them do under Rex, maybe a little less game to game scheming, from what I can tell.  The biggest difference is as you mentioned, the TO's.  Otherwise, we've seen a lot of in game similarities so far; conservative play calling when it calls for aggressive, D failing in the big moments, terrible challenges, questionable personnel usage, etc.

Earlier in the season we were still being aggressive, at least on D, late in the 1st half and late in the game.  I'm wondering if injuries forced us to adjust.

In today's NFL you're going to give up yardage.  A lot of it.  As bad as we've been lately in the pass yardage department we've overall been a lot better than most of the league.  Football Outsiders ranks us 6th in pass defense.  It also ranks us 1st against the run, while Rex's Bills that you tout as being better at run-stuffing are ranked 26th against the run (12th against the pass).  We've allowed the fewest rushing yards, just 2 rushing TD's, and forced 5 fumbles (4 of which we recovered).  We're doing quite well against the run.

All you can really do is try to get after the QB and force turnovers, then score points off those turnovers.  To date we've done pretty well at that, which is why we're 5-3 and + 38 in net points.  And as you said, hopefully our recent difficulties will improve as we get healthier.

Everyone gives up yards, I totally agree.

Does NE care about yards?  Or points?   It's about getting big stops and turnovers.  Now, giving up a TD late in a game in 3 plays and 72yards, not so good.

Earlier in the season we were still being aggressive, at least on D, late in the 1st half and late in the game.  I'm wondering if injuries forced us to adjust.

Possibly, I'm not going to pretend like I know.  I'm just sharing observations.  The injuries have mostly been in the secondary and I think the easiest way to mask a weak back end is to pressure the QB and make them throw quickly.  The worst thing to do is sit back and ask them to cover for 4-5 seconds (see 3rd and 17).  Even the best get beat when a QB has that much time.

8 games into his career.  He'll figure some things out I'm sure.  I like what I'v seen so far...just a couple of tweaks here and there could make a big difference.

Rex is a great defensive coach so I'm not trying to bash the guy but it seems he was more concerned with playing to the stats.  Meaning, he wanted to boast about being the #1 ranked defense and to get there is by total yards and points.  Bowles seems way more willing to take chances on defense which has definitely led to big plays but the alternative is these defense has become a lot more opportunistic and is getting turnovers.  Some have already said it and I agree, in today's NFL you're going to give up big plays its inevitable.  I think being able to win the turnover battle is much more important. 

nyjunc - serious question for you.  Are you a NY Jets fan?  Or just a football fan in general?

Is your approach to this board to share your views on your team and your likes, dislikes, frustrations, hopes, etc. or are you trying to simply support Rex and criticize?

Curious what you like about the NY Jets as they're currently constructed...

Rex took a 9and 7 jets team and was over 9 wins only once in 6 years.  

2008 9-7 was against an incredibly weak sched.  we were 4-12 in 2007 then 9-7 in 2008, Miami was 1-15 in 2007 then 11-5 in 2008/.  we didn't have to face Tom Brady, the div was wide open and the sched was cake.  Our 2009 team would have crushed the 2008 team.   we were a lot better in 2009 despite the same record.  a year ago Buf was 9-7 thanks to winning 2 of 3 meaningless games to end the season.  all that matters is Buf FINALLT getting back to postseason whether it's at 9-7, 10-6 or 8-8.  that franchise hasn't made the playoffs since 1999 in the era of parity.

nyjunc - serious question for you.  Are you a NY Jets fan?  Or just a football fan in general?

Is your approach to this board to share your views on your team and your likes, dislikes, frustrations, hopes, etc. or are you trying to simply support Rex and criticize?

Curious what you like about the NY Jets as they're currently constructed...

Jets first but obviously I am a football fan.  I am not going to pretend everything Jets is the best, I try to be fair.  I appreciate what rex did for us, I don't need to bash a guy that never wanted to leave.  I also like Bowles and I am happy w/ him even though we have struggled recently.  I think we have a team that can go on a run like 2009 or 2010, this is one of the most talented teams we have ever had.

Jets first but obviously I am a football fan.  I am not going to pretend everything Jets is the best, I try to be fair.  I appreciate what rex did for us, I don't need to bash a guy that never wanted to leave.  I also like Bowles and I am happy w/ him even though we have struggled recently.  I think we have a team that can go on a run like 2009 or 2010, this is one of the most talented teams we have ever had.

it will take a lot of luck too. Journeyman QB, banged up secondary, OLINE aging.....  But 9 wins should be a minimum. 10 is very possible. 

Who said the Jets D was the most "talented"?

I said possibly the most talented, they are certainly in the discussion.

it will take a lot of luck too. Journeyman QB, banged up secondary, OLINE aging.....  But 9 wins should be a minimum. 10 is very possible. 

every team has injuries and questions.  we have what looks like a weak sched, we have a talented team.  this team should win at least 9 games and really should win more.

Last season the Bills were a 9-7 team that thrashed the Jets twice ( including a game they had to play in Detroit and couldnt practice for)

This year they are floundering at 4-4 heading to 4-5 and have lost to teams like the Jaguars

Difference

Last year we had the Circus clown, this year they do

Last season the Bills were a 9-7 team that thrashed the Jets twice ( including a game they had to play in Detroit and couldnt practice for)

This year they are floundering at 4-4 heading to 4-5 and have lost to teams like the Jaguars

Difference

Difference: last year we had a GM that tanked on purpose and threw our coach under the bus. This year we have a GM that is trying to win but has a less competent coach.

Difference

Last year Buf was 5-5 after 10 games and lost a game badly to Miami.  this year they are 4-4 and have crushed Miami twice.

Last year we had very little talent, this year we are one of the most talented teams in the league.

Archived