What the hell happened to our defense?

I'm Just a Dude

sorry, I'm new here, so forgive me if I don't follow any posting protocol. 

I know we've been kind of banged up, but isn't our DL supposed to be the elite group in the NFL? I know Brady is supposed to be all-powerful, but the answer to him should be the three top draft picks we have upfront (Mo, Harrison, Sheldon Williams)? Cro sucks, but we still have Revis, Skrine and first rounder Milliner? How is it that Bortles and Dereck Carr can throw for 300 yards? Where is the run stop as well? They were so good at the beginning of the year, wtf happened?

I also feel that our defense is underwhelming. I think a large part of it is that now qb's do what Brady does - they get the ball out of their hands real quick, and we have no time to watch Sheldon or Mo chase down a qb anymore... Hey, Fitz does it too.  Our secondary isn't elite anymore with all the injuries, and Cro was never elite.

Well we have had major injuries to the safety dept and have had to throw guys out there who have been on the team for a week. problem is even that guy is now injured I believe. That throws a major wrench in the coverage schemes as well as blitz packages. So there is that.

I'm also a believer in the idea that players read/believe their own press and with all the talk about our secondary and D in general it's possible that they suffer from the thought that they are just supposed to BE impenetrable and don't have to work at it.  Hopefully the last two weeks have woken the team up and they come out to play and play hard tonight because you know for damn sure Rex's guys will be especially after kicking the sh*t out of Miami last week.

Ps... the D looked better without Sheldon to me. Anyone else seeing that?  (And I'm generally a Sheldon supporter)

Antonio Allen IR

Jaiquawn Jarrett, IR

Calvin Pryor-out-high ankle sprain

Dion Bailey-out-(high?) ankle sprain-fresh off the practice squad.

That is what happened to our defence.  We began 2015 with plenty of depth but atm we are paper thin.  Fresher off the practice squad, Rontez Miles is our next man up.  

Really what happened is the team gave up too many BIG plays.  Too many long balls.  If you take those away (I know you really can't) but if you did - in the Raider game and the Jax game - this defense was pretty solid.

Gotta find a way to reign those in - Cro getting hurt is a solid first step.

Antonio Allen IR

Jaiquawn Jarrett, IR

That is what happened to our defence.  We began 2015 with plenty of depth but atm we are paper thin.  Fresher off the practice squad, Rontez Miles is our next man up.  

if our D relies on those guys to be a top D then we were never really a top D and we are in big trouble.

Where is it? I know right? Patriots have allowed 19 fewer points than Jets this season. So much for the "great" Jets defense. What a move BB did by letting you guys go and pay Revis!!!!! What a move! With the best offense and with our defense getting better on the weekly, teams should just call out sick. 19-0 boys, 19-0!

your D will kill you in a big spot, they are doing a great job against some bad offenses but haven't done as well against better offenses.

Well we have had major injuries to the safety dept and have had to throw guys out there who have been on the team for a week. problem is even that guy is now injured I believe. That throws a major wrench in the coverage schemes as well as blitz packages. So there is that.

I'm also a believer in the idea that players read/believe their own press and with all the talk about our secondary and D in general it's possible that they suffer from the thought that they are just supposed to BE impenetrable and don't have to work at it.  Hopefully the last two weeks have woken the team up and they come out to play and play hard tonight because you know for damn sure Rex's guys will be especially after kicking the sh*t out of Miami last week.

Ps... the D looked better without Sheldon to me. Anyone else seeing that?  (And I'm generally a Sheldon supporter)

It did, but I want to say it's coincidental. 

Meaning, our secondary starting falling apart with injuries when Sheldon got back.

Maybe it isn't though, maybe they're doing things different schematically too. 

Hard to say. Just gotta hope it gets better.

your D will kill you in a big spot, they are doing a great job against some bad offenses but haven't done as well against better offenses.

Agreed.

The Pats bend-don't-break defense typically fairs well in regular season games. It's the playoffs where it catches up to them.

Harrison wasn't a top pick FYI, he was an undrafted free agent

That's okay, Milliner has not even been on roster yet this season and he made the guy's list..

Really what happened is the team gave up too many BIG plays.  Too many long balls.  If you take those away (I know you really can't) but if you did - in the Raider game and the Jax game - this defense was pretty solid.

Gotta find a way to reign those in - Cro getting hurt is a solid first step.

Sadly, that is par for the course with Cro.  During his bad year here (2012) he actually played very well except for the inordinate amount of long TDs.  IIRC, he had good completion against figures, etc.  I think the problem with that is that it is not easily correctable.  If he were just a slower guy getting beat over top, you just roll safety help, but Cro plays great 8 or 9 plays out of 10 and then gets destroyed. 

Agreed.

The Pats bend-don't-break defense typically fairs well in regular season games. It's the playoffs where it catches up to them.

I don't think it is really the playoffs so much as against good teams.  sh*tty teams beat themselves and that is what Belichick lets happen.  Move the ball up and down and pounce when the mistake is made.  Good teams just make less mistakes.  Their offense has been so good that eventually even good teams tend to press and make mistakes.

I would disagree there. If you look at our season, we have been scoring points fast. Teams are down early, and garbage time has come much earlier for teams playing us. We have given up some bad scores in garbage time, which has hurt our numbers. Ironically, if we had kept games much closer, our defense would be ranked much higher.

The only offensive and defensive stats I look at are scoring. What is your offense scoring, and what is your defense giving up. We are #1 in total offense (points score) and #5 in total defense (points allowed). Again, if not for those garbage time games, we would be #1 or #2.

Giants are 5th in offensive PPG, so this will be a great test. I'll know much more about our defense after this game.

if our D relies on those guys to be a top D then we were never really a top D and we are in big trouble.

Agree to disagree I guess.  A big gaping hole at SS is extremely hard to overcome, exp when your ILBs can't cover.  Seems pretty deadly to me.   

We do have the 3rd best defense in the league and while we may have showed struggled a little against some of the better teams we played, I think we are building up momentum and will see a great defensive game played tonight.  Heres a pretty cool breakdown of the matchup tonight: https://realfootballnetwork.com/blog/2015/11/12/week-10-bills-at-jets/   

It did, but I want to say it's coincidental. 

Meaning, our secondary starting falling apart with injuries when Sheldon got back.

Maybe it isn't though, maybe they're doing things different schematically too. 

Hard to say. Just gotta hope it gets better.

I tend to lean toward what you are thinking as well. Those are facts after all. The injuries came at the same time as his return. 

It's certainly worthy of considering though. Not a thought I would completely disregard if I were Bowles.... which I am. 

I think it's a combination of injuries and playing better offenses.

Lets be honest, the Browns, Dolphins, and Redskins were there to be feasted on.

Pats are obviously an elite offense and the Raiders are really good offensively too (although the D's performance in that game was sobering.)

I'm curious to see how we do against the Bills. You'd hope we could stop the run and make Tyrod Taylor beat us.

Where is it? I know right? Patriots have allowed 19 fewer points than Jets this season. So much for the "great" Jets defense. What a move BB did by letting you guys go and pay Revis!!!!! What a move! With the best offense and with our defense getting better on the weekly, teams should just call out sick. 19-0 boys, 19-0!

Ban this ******* piece of sh*t troll.  There is no need to deal with this on game day. 

We're trying to discuss our game this ******* piece of sh*t is all 19-0 in every thread?  

BAN THIS TROLL!!!

I would disagree there. If you look at our season, we have been scoring points fast. Teams are down early, and garbage time has come much earlier for teams playing us. We have given up some bad scores in garbage time, which has hurt our numbers. Ironically, if we had kept games much closer, our defense would be ranked much higher.

The only offensive and defensive stats I look at are scoring. What is your offense scoring, and what is your defense giving up. We are #1 in total offense (points score) and #5 in total defense (points allowed). Again, if not for those garbage time games, we would be #1 or #2.

Giants are 5th in offensive PPG, so this will be a great test. I'll know much more about our defense after this game.

Your O drives that bus and puts pressure on opposing offenses to keep up and that may lead to mistakes so that helps out a less talented D.  Giants have an excellent pass O but if you can get pressure it can be neutralized. 

19x we own you!

Once again, you will be an old man and still having to defend your BS team and their cheating ways. Only then will you realize what a sham your life has been and how much time you wasted on the wrong side of things. How you gloated like a childish fool to people who were not interested in your opinion. 

Agree to disagree I guess.  A big gaping hole at SS is extremely hard to overcome, exp when your ILBs can't cover.  Seems pretty deadly to me.   

we are allowed to disagree, I am sure every injury has hurt but that's part of the game.  Our big guys have been healthy for the most part.

Once again, you will be an old man and still having to defend your BS team and their cheating ways. Only then will you realize what a sham your life has been and how much time you wasted on the wrong side of things. How you gloated like a childish fool to people who were not interested in your opinion. 

Ignorance runs rampant in his part of the country.  The whole Belicheat era is shame and every single person who doesnt root for the Cheatriots knows it. 

That's okay, Milliner has not even been on roster yet this season and he made the guy's list..

Sadly, that is par for the course with Cro.  During his bad year here (2012) he actually played very well except for the inordinate amount of long TDs.  IIRC, he had good completion against figures, etc.  I think the problem with that is that it is not easily correctable.  If he were just a slower guy getting beat over top, you just roll safety help, but Cro plays great 8 or 9 plays out of 10 and then gets destroyed. 

I don't think it is really the playoffs so much as against good teams.  sh*tty teams beat themselves and that is what Belichick lets happen.  Move the ball up and down and pounce when the mistake is made.  Good teams just make less mistakes.  Their offense has been so good that eventually even good teams tend to press and make mistakes.

Cro's issue is he doesn't play great technique.  He is a complete freak of nature physically.  I remember reading somewhere he threw a football in practice 60-80 yards in the air on a rope...underhanded.  He has completely relied on his physical gifts and not honed in his technique the way Revis has.  Now that his body is betraying him you're starting to really see his lack of technique hindering him.  If Cro put in the amount of time and effort on technique that Revis does he would by far be the greatest CB of all time. 

If you shotgun with 4-5 wide our defense can easily be taken apart.

Cro can't stay with his guy in man to man.  Skrine is hurt. 

Are there many teams that have 4 or 5 guys that can cover man to man....Couldn't you essentially say that about any team?

Between Revis, Williams, a hurt Skrine - we still have some of the best talent in the NFL at the position.  This is why so many points are scored in the NFL now - it's tough to stop any passing game with the current rules.

Antonio Allen IR

Jaiquawn Jarrett, IR

I'll quote myself here just the add the following update for emphasis.  It's seems our CS is markedly concerned about safety too:

We have signed S Ronald Martin to the active roster and waived DL T.J. Barnes.

Cro's issue is he doesn't play great technique.  He is a complete freak of nature physically.  I remember reading somewhere he threw a football in practice 60-80 yards in the air on a rope...underhanded.  He has completely relied on his physical gifts and not honed in his technique the way Revis has.  Now that his body is betraying him you're starting to really see his lack of technique hindering him.  If Cro put in the amount of time and effort on technique that Revis does he would by far be the greatest CB of all time. 

We had a guy like Cro in my class in high school. He was a freak athletically. He was like 6-3 & wiry like Cro. Never worked out but was thin & muscular but dumb as a box of rocks. He could kick a soccer ball more than half field, he could throw a soccer ball legally from the sideline into the mouth of the goal, he could throw a baseball in the 90s but was wild as hell! Guys didn't want to bat against him, they didn't want to get hit. I once saw him in a full sprint catch a frisbee while simultaneously  jumping over a 4' fence. Guys like this don't work on their craft, they don't have to. Everyone knew that when Cro got older he didn't have any technique to make up for his slipping athletic ability. 

Archived