Westhoff On Bowles: Doesn't Adjust Well Mid Game

SoFlaJets

I'd say they adjusted pretty well in the second half. Players didn't execute though.

Really? I saw the opposite. I saw a lot of a team that was getting success doing something and then went away from it, in favor of what wasn't working, for no apparent reason. Yet again. 

The difference between the 2 halves was there was near-zero execution in the first half. But I didn't see a radical change in play calling, except for 1 drive when they let Ivory run wild. And then they abandoned it in favor of low percentage plays. Like the 3rd & 4th down with the sneak and perfect pass/catch to Decker. That was stupid luck that had less than a 50% chance of converting. I'm glad we did convert (as they say, it's better to be lucky than good), but you have to know the odds of that throw being put right on the money, with Decker sandwiched between 2 defenders, is less than half. It's only smart with the benefit of hindsight. They called the same kind of crap in the first half but they weren't completed.

That's just on offense. 

On defense, we were destroying their offense with the blitzes early on. Absolutely suffocating Taylor. And then the "adjustment" was to stop doing it, and then Buffalo started to put together drives as a result. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I saw the opposite. I saw a lot of a team that was getting success doing something and then went away from it, in favor of what wasn't working, for no apparent reason. Yet again. 

The difference between the 2 halves was there was near-zero execution in the first half. But I didn't see a radical change in play calling, except for 1 drive when they let Ivory run wild. And then they abandoned it in favor of low percentage plays. Like the 3rd & 4th down with the sneak and perfect pass/catch to Decker. That was stupid luck that had less than a 50% chance of converting. I'm glad we did convert (as they say, it's better to be lucky than good), but you have to know the odds of that throw being put right on the money, with Decker sandwiched between 2 defenders, is less than half. It's only smart with the benefit of hindsight. They called the same kind of crap in the first half but they weren't completed.

That's just on offense. 

On defense, we were destroying their offense with the blitzes early on. Absolutely suffocating Taylor. And then the "adjustment" was to stop doing it, and then Buffalo started to put together drives as a result. 

Eh.  Agree to disagree.  A couple of passes not being dropped and it's not even something to worry about.  I'm not worried about Bowles.  Even though it's so tough right now, I'm optimistic he'll learn from this and continue to grow as a head coach.  Gailey was suspect today but we'll see how they rebound. They've been fantastic in the red zone this year so I'll  wait before calling the Lynch mob on Chan. QB is limiting what they can do too. First drive really showed that. Fitz for all the good he does, still blows on the long ball. Just mad pissed we lost right now.  Oh well. Have to move forward. 

I think he lacks a basic understanding of how the game is played in the AFC East with the never say die or never say we scored enough because the Patriots will try to score TD's up by 35 points with :41 seconds left and the ball on their own 22 yard line. Todd Bowles seems to think that there is some gentleman's game being played out on the turnpikes and it's going to cost this team games if he doesn't wise up. You can NOT sit on a lead just like Herman Edwards had to learn the hard way that playing not to lose is only good for 1 thing: losing.  

Oh Please.

I think the right answer is "It's too early to tell."  The only negative is that after a hot start other teams seem to have adapted to his approach.  But, in general, I like what i see in Bowles and don't think it's too smart to surrender to mid-season grumbling.  They're 5--4 and in the middle of the Playoff picture halfway through the season with a journeyman QB whom nobody is comparing to Brady or P. Manning and who has played hurt for three games.  

PS: Mods.  Why is this showing as my first post?  I'm not a heavy hitter but I have a lot more than one.  Thanks.

I think the right answer is "It's too early to tell."  The only negative is that after a hot start other teams seem to have adapted to his approach.  But, in general, I like what i see in Bowles and don't think it's too smart to surrender to mid-season grumbling.  They're 5--4 and in the middle of the Playoff picture halfway through the season with a journeyman QB whom nobody is comparing to Brady or P. Manning and who has played hurt for three games.  

PS: Mods.  Why is this showing as my first post?  I'm not a heavy hitter but I have a lot more than one.  Thanks.

It may still be too early to tell. But once again behind late in the game at a total loss how this team doesn't have a hurry up offense. Again, no sense of urgency. Also that nobody is telling the retread 172-year old OC that throwing check downs short of the stick is freaking pointless. Why are plays with any receiver short of the stick being called on desperate 3rd and then 4th down? 

Am worried in the Big Picture sense that our owner has picked defense oriented coaches every time when the NFL has become a passing game.  It's one thing if you have hit on some secret to success in your industry and are succeeding well beyond your competitors. And that is not the case here forever . Jets' ownership and front office buck an industry trend and so far under Richie Rich have fallen short every time. The rules favor the offense and passing. The very best defense is going to fail a few times every game (or like last night go through a bout of nontackling). Newest trend-QB gets rid of the ball quickly to negate the pass rush. 

The league office had nothing to do with this hire.  Or the last hire or the one before.  Woody hired two highly regard GMs to help hire this GM and HC.

You do sit on leads when you have as many injuries as he had a week ago.  That was it.  Lets not make it a philosophy at this point

Johnny Cochran was going to sue the NFL and with the league office in NY Tags reached out to Woody to consider Hermie who was in the NFL minority coaching program.. The Jets or Giants had never hired a minority HC and he was trying to avoid any law suits.. Plus after the Jets hired Hermie the first coach hired out the NFL program the Rooney rule was established the next season and Johnny Cochran didn't sue.. 

Johnny Cochran was going to sue the NFL and with the league office in NY Tags reached out to Woody to consider Hermie who was in the NFL minority coaching program.. The Jets or Giants had never hired a minority HC and he was trying to avoid any law suits.. Plus after the Jets hired Hermie the first coach hired out the NFL program the Rooney rule was established the next season and Johnny Cochran didn't sue.. 

All right after Tagliabue prevailed on the Hess estate to take Johnson's lower offer over that of the Dolans, who Tagliabue  could've blocked for any number of reasons. 

I did. And I immediately felt post envy.

Me: "Ah, I did a nice little break down of 2nd half scoring with a little chart and all! I feel good! I contributed! I'm important!" :)

*Sperm posts novel*

Me: "Goddammit."

rule #1 of jetnation... never, ever, ever engage sperm in conversation unless you have some time on your hands

By my tally it's 109-64. Broken down by game, 2nd half scoring looks like this:

Jets     Opponents
Wk1  17        0  (Browns)
Wk2  10        7  (Colts)
Wk3  10        0  (Eagles)
Wk4  7          7  (Dolphins)
Wk6  24        7  (Redskins)
Wk7  13        17 (Patriots)
Wk8  14        13 (Raiders)
Wk9  14        13 (Jaguars)

As you can see, there's a sharp contrast between the first 5 weeks and the last 3, but even then, only the Patriots have managed to outscore us in the 2nd half, and only by a small margin.

Well there is enough film on Bowels for the league to dissect he's tendencies, it's happening in Atlanta and Miami too, they are not tearing up the league anymore either.   

Bowles on Westhoff

Bitter old geezer....perfect match for career seventh string QB Lucas

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Like Chan Gailey. At a loss if you're trying to make your mark why you hire a 70 something retread. makes no sense at all.

Archived