I honestly see an incredibly smart coach that's making the right situational calls

nico002

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait what

What "wait what"? Did I word it wrong?

I see people posting that it was still the right move, or that they're ok with it, despite the turnover on downs (and that it meant going for it again instead of kicking another FG, and the ensuing loss). It's only the right move - in hindsight, at that - if it works. Otherwise it was not the right call.

Personally I thought it was the wrong call regardless. But Bowles would have been vindicated for the "right" and "gutsy" call had we converted.

I find no fault with Bowles decision to go for a TD in fact I salute his guts.. Too long have the Jets lived and lost kicking fg's.. Was this a bigger game then the first Jet/Pat game when the Tuna left the Pats for the Jets I think not.. It's Jet fans and their Rex hate that makes them so sick, the bottom line is turnovers decided the game and that is on the players especially Devin Smith.. Long term with Mac and Bowles I see a constant Jet playoff team that will be very competitive every year.. I've never been a whiny SOJF so that's my minority point of view..:)

Well said.

People around here seem to forget 2 important things. Bowles is a rookie coach and learning on the job and this team is simply not that talented. Yes, we spent a boatload in free agency but this is a seriously flawed team on both sides.

On offense we have serious problems on the O-line and RB. Brick is old and on the decline and Mangold is old and breaking down physically. The right side of the the O-line is average at best with Winters and Giacomini. I like Ivory, but hes a one dimensional RB who easily breaks down physically due to the nature of his game. Outside of Ivory we have nothing at RB. No third down/scat back/receiving RB. Receivers, we are improved but Marshall is on the wrong side of thirty, Thompkins is a nice possesion guy with literally zero speed and unable to make YACs and Kerley is a nice receiver but limited as well. TEs...we have nothing. I like Fitzpatrick, a lot. Good leader, smart, and is the perfect hold the fort guy. Best QB weve had since Pennington. But he cant carry a team.

On defense, we have serious limitations at LB. Harris who is our best LB is on the wrong side of 30 and is still a liability in coverage. We have no speed off the edge (maybe Mauldin will be part of the solution), Davis has speed but cant tackle and plays soft, the depth sucks and Coples is on his way out with Pace nearing retirement status. Our DBs, outside of Revis, Pryor, Gilchrist, and Skrine are pretty bad. I think everyone here will agree that Cromartie is garbage and is gone next year. Marcus Coleman is nice depth but misses way to many tackles, McDougal hasnt show squat and Millner is injured all the time.

Finally, our Special Teams are a disaster.

So why are people blaming this teams performance on Bowles and the coaching staff? The only reason we started 4-1 was because we played bad teams. With good coaching and luck this is an 8-10 win team that might sneak into the playoffs and do nothing.

Funny that all the Rex supporters are all over the coaching staff. Because when I look at the Bills, I see a much more talented team than ours, on both offense and defense. The young weapons they have on offense (Watkins, Woods, Charles Clay, McCoy, Karlos Williams)  and their Defense with the Williams' , Dareus, Hughes, Darby and Gillmore at CB, Aaron Williams at Safety, Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham at LB not to mention the veteran Manny Lawson. That Bills defense should be a top 5-10 defense. With the talent on the Bills, that team should be 7-2 or 6-3. Rex is holding them back

People are making it sound like Bullock was like a 50% FG kicker, an unknown UDFA/rookie, or funniest of all that he "just got here" as though he needs to get into game shape, because he was cut and available. He shanked a 2nd XP for Houston - which is terrible but cost the team nothing in either case - and O'Brien made him a scapegoat for his decision to go with Ryan Mallett. But in kicking FGs, Bullock was 5/6 so far and hadn't missed a FG inside 40 yards in over a year. Last year he was an 86% FG kicker.

Passing up on the FG is only the right call if you convert on 4th down. You don't also get credit for the "gutsy" call if it blows up in your face.

Yep when the team losses your either a hero or a bum to most fans..

I see people posting that it was still the right move, or that they're ok with it, despite the turnover on downs (and that it meant going for it again instead of kicking another FG, and the ensuing loss). It's only the right move - in hindsight, at that - if it works. Otherwise it was not the right call.

Personally I thought it was the wrong call regardless. But Bowles would have been vindicated for the "right" and "gutsy" call had we converted.

Gotcha. Thought you were saying the opposite (that you would have thought it was the right move if we'd converted).

Well said.

People around here seem to forget 2 important things. Bowles is a rookie coach and learning on the job and this team is simply not that talented. Yes, we spent a boatload in free agency but this is a seriously flawed team on both sides.

On offense we have serious problems on the O-line and RB. Brick is old and on the decline and Mangold is old and breaking down physically. The right side of the the O-line is average at best with Winters and Giacomini. I like Ivory, but hes a one dimensional RB who easily breaks down physically due to the nature of his game. Outside of Ivory we have nothing at RB. No third down/scat back/receiving RB. Receivers, we are improved but Marshall is on the wrong side of thirty, Thompkins is a nice possesion guy with literally zero speed and unable to make YACs and Kerley is a nice receiver but limited as well. TEs...we have nothing. I like Fitzpatrick, a lot. Good leader, smart, and is the perfect hold the fort guy. Best QB weve had since Pennington. But he cant carry a team.

On defense, we have serious limitations at LB. Harris who is our best LB is on the wrong side of 30 and is still a liability in coverage. We have no speed off the edge (maybe Mauldin will be part of the solution), Davis has speed but cant tackle and plays soft, the depth sucks and Coples is on his way out with Pace nearing retirement status. Our DBs, outside of Revis, Pryor, Gilchrist, and Skrine are pretty bad. I think everyone here will agree that Cromartie is garbage and is gone next year. Marcus Coleman is nice depth but misses way to many tackles, McDougal hasnt show squat and Millner is injured all the time.

Finally, our Special Teams are a disaster.

So why are people blaming this teams performance on Bowles and the coaching staff? The only reason we started 4-1 was because we played bad teams. With good coaching and luck this is an 8-10 win team that might sneak into the playoffs and do nothing.

Funny that all the Rex supporters are all over the coaching staff. Because when I look at the Bills, I see a much more talented team than ours, on both offense and defense. The young weapons they have on offense (Watkins, Woods, Charles Clay, McCoy, Karlos Williams)  and their Defense with the Williams' , Dareus, Hughes, Darby and Gillmore at CB, Aaron Williams at Safety, Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham at LB not to mention the veteran Manny Lawson. That Bills defense should be a top 5-10 defense. With the talent on the Bills, that team should be 7-2 or 6-3. Rex is holding them back

Was Rex holding the 2009 team back when he had the Number 1 Defense?? I think both the Jets and the Bills are having a bit of trouble adjusting to new defenses that both new HC's have.. The smart thing Rex did in 09 was bring in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard who knew the D and helped their teammates on the field..

People are making it sound like Bullock was like a 50% FG kicker, an unknown UDFA/rookie, or funniest of all that he "just got here" as though he needs to get into game shape, because he was cut and available. He shanked a 2nd XP for Houston - which is terrible but cost the team nothing in either case - and O'Brien made him a scapegoat for his decision to go with Ryan Mallett. But in kicking FGs, Bullock was 5/6 so far and hadn't missed a FG inside 40 yards in over a year. Last year he was an 86% FG kicker.

Passing up on the FG is only the right call if you convert on 4th down. You don't also get credit for the "gutsy" call if it blows up in your face.

He was like 73% in 2013.  If he missed 2 extra points, it is like he missed two easy FGs.   He is also a big fat bastard.  Game shape?  Crusher laughs at his game shape.

Was Rex holding the 2009 team back when he had the Number 1 Defense?? I think both the Jets and the Bills are having a bit of trouble adjusting to new defenses that both new HC's have.. The smart thing Rex did in 09 was bring in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard who knew the D and helped their teammates on the field..

That defense was in place when Rex got their in 2009 (minus Scott and Leonhard- both who were upgrades at their respective positions). 2009 was pure luck, if Indy and Cinci dont lay down for us, we dont make the playoffs and the "legend" of Rex is never created. 2010 was missed opportunity that clearly falls on Rex. That team was so unprepared going into Pittsburgh. No excuse for that.

If we live in a world where simply going for it deserves credit, then that means Joel Schumacher deserves credit for Batman & Robin.

That had to be an audible. 

While i usually lean more aggressively, too, I agree with everyone who would've kicked the FG rather than go for it early in the fourth. The offense wasn't playing well. Have to take the points when you can. Would've left them down 9 with practically a full quarter to play. I know Phil Simms agreed with the call, but that bothered me the rest of the game. 

Maybe they still don't trust Bullock's kicking yet, one of  his PAT's was close and if I remember correctly so was the FG, it could have been a different call if we had Folk. 

That had to be an audible. 

While i usually lean more aggressively, too, I agree with everyone who would've kicked the FG rather than go for it early in the fourth. The offense wasn't playing well. Have to take the points when you can. Would've left them down 9 with practically a full quarter to play. I know Phil Simms agreed with the call, but that bothered me the rest of the game. 

Phil Simms bothered me the rest of the game too.

Yep when the team losses your either a hero or a bum to most fans..

I just object to giving him credit - positive credit - for making an unnecessary risky call and it didn't work out (which isn't to be unexpected, and is why it was risky to begin with).

A 50-yard FG attempt? He gets a lot more latitude and benefit of the doubt there. A 37-38 yard FG? Not so much. And not when the defense clearly lined up in a way to take away the play that was called in (i.e. the original play call, before the audible, was predicted by the defense).

What's damning is we didn't kick the 2nd FG because we didn't kick the first one. One might argue we wouldn't have had the same field position (the same botched punt wouldn't have necessarily occurred), but even that's not a bad thing.  There was still plenty of time to get into FG range in the event they got the punt off. And incidentally, in that scenario it would have likely run the clock down, giving Buffalo limited time to mount a FG drive of their own to counter it. So not starting the drive on their 20 may have been preferable in terms of clock management.

Gotcha. Thought you were saying the opposite (that you would have thought it was the right move if we'd converted).

More like people cheering for it would have had the conversion as proof that it was the right move.

Incidentally, converting that first down doesn't automatically give us the win either (despite people blaming the loss on the Decker drop, awful as the drop was). It was a first down conversion, not a TD conversion. Still could have been a Jets fumble or interception after converting, even if that stupid 4th down play worked. Or it still may have just ended up as a turnover on downs on a subsequent 4th and short after that, since Bowles seemed to want to go for a TD or bust unless it was 4th and longer.

How is it ******* possible that every single color guy sucks now? The only one I can remotely tolerate is Aikman.

I actually used to like Simms.  I'm not sure what happened.  There was one play where Taylor missed a short pass and Simms said he should have gone deep.  He showed the routes with everybody blanketed and said that he should have gone up the seem.  To a guy bracketed by safeties.  At least he could pronounce Bills.  If Trent Green said Jagwires one more ******* time I was going to find him and take his thumb.

That defense was in place when Rex got their in 2009 (minus Scott and Leonhard- both who were upgrades at their respective positions). 2009 was pure luck, if Indy and Cinci dont lay down for us, we dont make the playoffs and the "legend" of Rex is never created. 2010 was missed opportunity that clearly falls on Rex. That team was so unprepared going into Pittsburgh. No excuse for that.

That defense was 18th in 2008 and that's with Jenkins playing the whole season he played a total of 7 games for Rex in 2 years.. And in 2008 the Jets had Favre and the Jets were 9th in scoring.. The Jets were unprepared in 2010 in the 24-19 loss to Pitt like the Jets were unprepared for the 23-10 loss to the Bronco's in the AFCCG?? Rex hate is eating you up Kenny..LOL

That defense was 18th in 2008 and that's with Jenkins playing the whole season he played a total of 7 games for Rex in 2 years.. And in 2008 the Jets had Favre and the Jets were 9th in scoring.. The Jets were unprepared in 2010 in the 24-19 loss to Pitt like the Jets were unprepared for the 23-10 loss to the Bronco's in the AFCCG?? Rex hate is eating you up Kenny..LOL

LOL comparing the loss to Denver with the loss to Pittsburgh is laughable. We came off the 2nd biggest win in franchise history beating the 1 seed Pats at New England and our vaunted defense no showed, getting steamrolled in the first 1st half. Yes, Rex had us unprepared.

I dont hate Rex. I think hes probably a hell of a guy and very funny too. Good Defensive mind, but his "legend" status with the Jets is just that. Legend. Got lucky in 2009, underachieved in 2010 and slowly got rid of Mangini's guys replacing them with "his" guys,  leading to horrible teams 3 years in a row. Luckily for us, he will destroy a division foe next

LOL comparing the loss to Denver with the loss to Pittsburgh is laughable. We came off the 2nd biggest win in franchise history beating the 1 seed Pats at New England and our vaunted defense no showed, getting steamrolled in the first 1st half. Yes, Rex had us unprepared.

I dont hate Rex. I think hes probably a hell of a guy and very funny too. Good Defensive mind, but his "legend" status with the Jets is just that. Legend. Got lucky in 2009, underachieved in 2010 and slowly got rid of Mangini's guys replacing them with "his" guys,  leading to horrible teams 3 years in a row. Luckily for us, he will destroy a division foe next

When did Rex become a legend??And what Mangini guys did he get rid of??

What legend status?  He is almost universally hated and ridiculed around here.  He is not a perfect coach and there are reasons why he is simply not good, but the board acts like simply being professional will equal more wins than the clown show. It doesn't.  Just because they get paid doesn't make them professionals.  It is still just a game.  A sloppy guy like Rex can have success and be considerably better than a detail oriented guy like Mangini.  (I question Mangini's professionalism too with his stupid ass quizzes and high school push ups and laps)

Archived