Bobby April is the special teams equivalent of Rob Ryan - Beningo

Integrity28

The jets as an organization have placed way too small of a priority on special teams over the last 5 or 6 years.  We've had a good FG kicker but punting has been from sub par to inconsistent, no return game at all and very little in the imagination in the way of fakes.

Know what I would have liked to see last night?  In one of those 4th down gambles set up for the fg and fake it.

The jets as an organization have placed way too small of a priority on special teams over the last 5 or 6 years.  We've had a good FG kicker but punting has been from sub par to inconsistent, no return game at all and very little in the imagination in the way of fakes.

Know what I would have liked to see last night?  In one of those 4th down gambles set up for the fg and fake it.

That would probably have been a HC decision.

Specials were sucking under Westhoff for a few years.  Why was he killing April?  If it is for Smith fumbling, I don't blame the coordinator much for that and that was the #1 problem last night.  I did have a problem with the revolving door at kick returner.  This isn't the preseason stop ******* around.  If you are afraid to let a guy return let them catch it and kneel.  I think Smith is showing some life as a gunner.  Hopefully that will continue, but the punt returns still seemed troubling.though they didn't amount to much because of the penalty.

Asinine sending Devin to return kicks. The kid right now is soft as charmin. Like others have said, preseason is when you figure this sh*t out not the 9th game of the season. 

Bobby April is a has been, he's a special teams coach in name only. He probably was special teams coach of the year when Deion Sanders was returning punts for him in Atlanta. 

NFL football games are won & lost on any one significant play, especially with teams equally matched. We've now lost 3 games due to special teams, the Eagles game, last night, and I'd even throw in the Pats game as our field position discrepancy was startling! I think it was our own 23 & the Pats starting on their 37. Ridiculous! 

Never was I longing for the days of Chad Morton as our KR and Santana Moss as our PR as I was last night.  Jeremy Kerley is Dedric Ward reincarnated - fair catch or at best, 3-4 yards and fall down.  None of our kickoff returners other than Cro should ever come out of the end zone.

Specials were sucking under Westhoff for a few years.  Why was he killing April?  If it is for Smith fumbling, I don't blame the coordinator much for that and that was the #1 problem last night.  I did have a problem with the revolving door at kick returner.  This isn't the preseason stop ******* around.  If you are afraid to let a guy return let them catch it and kneel.  I think Smith is showing some life as a gunner.  Hopefully that will continue, but the punt returns still seemed troubling.though they didn't amount to much because of the penalty.

For special teams being awful all season.

Asinine sending Devin to return kicks. The kid right now is soft as charmin. Like others have said, preseason is when you figure this sh*t out not the 9th game of the season. 

Bobby April is a has been, he's a special teams coach in name only. He probably was special teams coach of the year when Deion Sanders was returning punts for him in Atlanta. 

NFL football games are won & lost on any one significant play, especially with teams equally matched. We've now lost 3 games due to special teams, the Eagles game, last night, and I'd even throw in the Pats game as our field position discrepancy was startling! I think it was our own 23 & the Pats starting on their 37. Ridiculous! 

Why do you think Smith is soft? He made a tough catch on Gilmore and fumbled while trying to stay up too long despite being hit on the kick return>  He made two or three tackles as a gunner.  I'm not saying he is good, but soft isn't his problem.

I'm no NFL coach but with the new rules it seems simple , 3 yards deep or further you kneel or you get benched ....the coverage is right on top of you now , gone are the days of taking it 5 yards deep and returning it past the 20....between coverage and penalties it's an extremely low percentage , foolish , selfish play...and I've said this for awhile , way before last night .

I'm no NFL coach but with the new rules it seems simple , 3 yards deep or further you kneel or you get benched ....the coverage is right on top of you now , gone are the days of taking it 5 yards deep and returning it past the 20....between coverage and penalties it's an extremely low percentage , foolish , selfish play...and I've said this for awhile , way before last night .

+1

Not to mention that both Smith's return and Stacy's return happened in the far deep corner of the endzone as well.  Taking the ball out from there in such a tight game and with such poor special teams return output is monumentally stupid.  All the Bills saw where the returner was, they all pinched over (duh) and taking it out could produce nothing better than a knee on the 20 would.

Which is why I agree with the OP and that's on coaching.  No different than Jeremy Kerley leading the league on fair catches inside the 10.  Coaching.  Classroom.  Film.

SAR I

+1

Not to mention that both Smith's return and Stacy's return happened in the far deep corner of the endzone as well.  Taking the ball out from there in such a tight game and with such poor special teams return output is monumentally stupid.  All the Bills saw where the returner was, they all pinched over (duh) and taking it out could produce nothing better than a knee on the 20 would.

Which is why I agree with the OP and that's on coaching.  No different than Jeremy Kerley leading the league on fair catches inside the 10.  Coaching.  Classroom.  Film.

SAR I

This is 100% on target. He was pinned in the corner and he runs it out? 

I am not sure why Stacy's return was so ill-advised.  He got hurt.  That's not my problem.  It was the end of the half.  They weren't going to get a play off, so it was a good time to try to break one.  If not, you kneel down on first down.  No harm, no foul.  He could have taken the touchback, but then people would be whining about the lack of aggression.

He said it. It was one of the more insightful things he's ever said.

Guy has a huge reputation, and keeps getting jobs, even though the output sucks.

I wish so hard that Westy was still coaching for us.

Joe Benigno is to sports broadcasting what Rich Kotite is to NFL Head Coaching

A total frigging imbecile in addition to being the absolute worst Self Loathapalooza same old Jet "fan" since 1960

Fortunately I stopped listening to this wallowing in misery schmuck on September 3, 2009 and haven't regretted doing so for one nanosecond since. How bout dat, Bro

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Joe Benigno is to sports broadcasting what Rich Kotite is to NFL Head Coaching

A total frigging imbecile in addition to being the absolute worst Self Loathapalooza same old Jet "fan" since 1960

Fortunately I stopped listening to this wallowing in misery schmuck on September 3, 2009 and haven't regretted doing so for one nanosecond since. How bout dat, Bro

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

That's cool.

I still agree with what he said about Bobby April.

Archived