Kellen Davis

JoJoTownsell1

I know it's more fun to bash the head coach, coordinators, and qb after a loss but in reality if kellen Davis is playing all out and does more to find the ball there is a very good chance we are 6-3 today.  

Instead,  those with agendas use this loss to bash everyone but the one person who is most responsible for this loss.  

You're on the field for the biggest play of the season and you don't bother to look for the ball until well after its thrown?  Im not sure the play call was to target him but he should still make himself available and be alert enough to make a play if things break down. If we go up 1 or 3 in that spot,  I doubt tyrod drives them down the field.  

Bowles is still a first year head coach that should only get better (while rex used all of his timeouts early and couldn't challenge plays late in fourth or call a timeout)

Fitz is fitz.  Been saying this since day 1. He's the ultimate game manager.  If he's asked to bring us back from 2 td deficits be will struggle.  Those saying "see,  told you fitz wasn't the answer" are merely creating their own argument.  No rational jet fan ever thought fitz was going to be anything more than he is today.  You can win with him but you won't win because of him.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's more fun to bash the head coach, coordinators, and qb after a loss but in reality if kellen Davis is playing all out and does more to find the ball there is a very good chance we are 6-3 today.  

Instead,  those with agendas use this loss to bash everyone but the one person who is most responsible for this loss.  

You're on the field for the biggest play of the season and you don't bother to look for the ball until well after its thrown?  Im not sure the play call was to target him but he should still make himself available and be alert enough to make a play if things break down. If we go up 1 or 3 in that spot,  I doubt tyrod drives them down the field.  

Bowles is still a first year head coach that should only get better (while rex used all of his timeouts early and couldn't challenge plays late in fourth or call a timeout)

Fitz is fitz.  Been saying this since day 1. He's the ultimate game manager.  If he's asked to bring us back from 2 td deficits be will struggle.  Those saying "see,  told you fitz wasn't the answer" are merely creating their own argument.  No rational jet fan ever thought fitz was going to be anything more than he is today.  You can win with him but you won't win because of him.  

Yep...people bashing Gailey for play calling are out of line IMO.  Several big drops in big spots from the receivers and then Davis not turning around to locate the ball was the biggest one.

Coordinators can only do so much.  He called the right play at the right time against the right defense and the QB put the ball on target.  What more can he do?

Yep...people bashing Gailey for play calling are out of line IMO.  Several big drops in big spots from the receivers and then Davis not turning around to locate the ball was the biggest one.

Coordinators can only do so much.  He called the right play at the right time against the right defense and the QB put the ball on target.  What more can he do?

No, they aren't. 

There were some terribly design plays that were called in horrible situations last night. The call to target Kellen Davis on that play, for instance, was terrible. As was Davis's awareness and effort. You see, in some situations you can blame both the player and the play caller.

Another example is the pass to Decker at the 2 yard line. That was a horrible play design, and an even worse effort by Fitz because he put the ball in a spot where Decker's momentum had to come back to the ball in the opposite direction of the first down. If Fitz leads him towards the line of scrimmage, perhaps Decker can fight/reach for a first down there. The idea of throwing behind the line of scrimmage inside of the 5 yard line, with 2 yards between you and a fresh set of downs is horrible... but if the execution was better, it may have worked in spite of how ill-advised it was. 

Agreed, Davis should have been better at locating the ball and making a play on it.

However, he's not. His 7 years in the league spanning 6 teams and a grand total of 3 catches since 2012 are proof of that. The fact that he was even in the game and the target of the 4th and game play when we have Brandon, Decker, Kerley, and Ivory is the reason the decision makers are bearing the brunt of this. 

Terrible decision to have him out there in the first place. End of story.

Our awful awful TE HB situation came back to haunt us.  nothing that wrong with making such a call if you have a real viable guy to catch the ball, we don't.

Very true. I was begging the Jets to go out and get Martellus Bennett before the deadline. We have, by far, the worst group of TEs in the NFL. With that said, if a guy is on the roster at Tight End he has to be able to catch a floater. Jumbo Elliott won us a game back in 2000. Plenty of teams run plays for backup Tight ends around the goal line because they are often left wide open. If Davis makes the play Gailey looks like a genius. In the end, the blame is on Kellen Davis. 

Gailey could have closed his eyes and just said, ok guys just run a fade to the corner of the endzone to Marshall. That pass would have been contested by 1, if not 2 defenders. This situation had Davis all alone in the back of the endzone. Gailey can't assume his tight end would lose focus on the biggest play of the game. Personally, I would cut Davis. Teach everyone a lesson that you better be alert at all times. 

Agreed, Davis should have been better at locating the ball and making a play on it.

However, he's not. His 7 years in the league spanning 6 teams and a grand total of 3 catches since 2012 are proof of that. The fact that he was even in the game and the target of the 4th and game play when we have Brandon, Decker, Kerley, and Ivory is the reason the decision makers are bearing the brunt of this. 

Terrible decision to have him out there in the first place. End of story.

Q: Why go to Kellen Davis? Bowles: “There was more involved than that. It wasn’t just a play to Kellen Davis...there was a mix-up there.”

I don't think Davis was the target. Think it was supposed to be Decker. Watch the play again. Decker goes to his left first step off the line, then tries to come back to his right, where Davis runs right into him, and knocks both of them off their routes. Decker is in traffic, but Davis bounces free into the end zone. he doesn't know what to do. Fitz assumes he's going to continue on his route, throws a nice ball, Davis never see it and just stands there until the ball is by him

Invested quite a bit in Decker and Marshall the past two years, and you're calling Kellen Davis' number in the biggest moment of the season so far. Sorry, that's moronic, and most certainly on the coach.

I'm not so sure.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I am pissed that squid is even on the roster, let alone active or on the field.   OTOH, he looked genuinely shocked the throw went to him.  If I had a guess, Davis was supposed to set the pick, but the Bills played it pretty well and Fitzpatrick called his number.  I highly doubt that Davis is the #1 option on that play.  To think they gave that piece of sh*t the same number as Mike D'Amato (Brooklyn Tech) and Jerry Holmes!

No, they aren't. 

There were some terribly design plays that were called in horrible situations last night. The call to target Kellen Davis on that play, for instance, was terrible. As was Davis's awareness and effort. You see, in some situations you can blame both the player and the play caller.

Another example is the pass to Decker at the 2 yard line. That was a horrible play design, and an even worse effort by Fitz because he put the ball in a spot where Decker's momentum had to come back to the ball in the opposite direction of the first down. If Fitz leads him towards the line of scrimmage, perhaps Decker can fight/reach for a first down there. The idea of throwing behind the line of scrimmage inside of the 5 yard line, with 2 yards between you and a fresh set of downs is horrible... but if the execution was better, it may have worked in spite of how ill-advised it was. 

Agreed.  Fitz said post game that Davis was the target, and that was a designed play throw.  Game on the line, I'm sorry but you don't call a do or die play to a guy who catches maybe, MAYBE 10 passes a year.  My personal feeling is Gailey is just getting way too cute with his playcalling.  Opening the game with a bunch of bombs in the rain and wind, do or die play to Davis, key 3rd/4th down plays where the pass is designed behind the first down marker.  It feels as if Chan thinks the opponent will completely discount what's obviously not the thing to do, so Chan calls it thinking he'll catch them off guard.  We have weapons.  Do or die moments deserve to be on the shoulders of Marshall/Decker/Ivory.  Only time Davis should see a pass in that moment is if a play breaks down and he gets open.  I think Chan needs to get back to the basics and the identity of the team instead of trying to figure out what will trick the defense.   

Gailey called a sh*t game like it or not 3rd and long draw plays,the behind the line of scrimmage pass to Marshall when we needed 5,the Fitzmagic QB keeper up the middle come on man stop defending sh*t. 

Why was Kellen Davis in the game during crunch time he sucks.

Gailey is old and out of sync with the NFL today enough is enough for a good portion of the game I thought we pulled out a Schottenheimer playbook last night.

Q: Why go to Kellen Davis? Bowles: “There was more involved than that. It wasn’t just a play to Kellen Davis...there was a mix-up there.”

I don't think Davis was the target. Think it was supposed to be Decker. Watch the play again. Decker goes to his left first step off the line, then tries to come back to his right, where Davis runs right into him, and knocks both of them off their routes. Decker is in traffic, but Davis bounces free into the end zone. he doesn't know what to do. Fitz assumes he's going to continue on his route, throws a nice ball, Davis never see it and just stands there until the ball is by him

Fair enough - I'd be hard pressed to believe that he's the number one option. 

My post was more about, why's he even on the field? Any one of those guys could have set the pick for decker...we'd be doing it all game and all season long with JK, Owusu...even Thompkins set one up for Brandon earlier in the game. Why are we wasting an eligible receiver on someone with the history that he has on 4th and game? That's on coaches. 

Agreed.  Fitz said post game that Davis was the target, and that was a designed play throw.  Game on the line, I'm sorry but you don't call a do or die play to a guy who catches maybe, MAYBE 10 passes a year.  My personal feeling is Gailey is just getting way too cute with his playcalling.  Opening the game with a bunch of bombs in the rain and wind, do or die play to Davis, key 3rd/4th down plays where the pass is designed behind the first down marker.  It feels as if Chan thinks the opponent will completely discount what's obviously not the thing to do, so Chan calls it thinking he'll catch them off guard.  We have weapons.  Do or die moments deserve to be on the shoulders of Marshall/Decker/Ivory.  Only time Davis should see a pass in that moment is if a play breaks down and he gets open.  I think Chan needs to get back to the basics and the identity of the team instead of trying to figure out what will trick the defense.   

Tend to agree.

The only thing they did that made sense, and aligned with my opinion on how to beat Rex's defense, was to stick Decker in the slot a give him lots of looks. This offense would be more slump resistant if we had a pass-catching halfback that we could run a 2-minute offense with. There were points, in non- 2-min situations where a hurry up offense would have thoroughly exhausted Rex's defense too... and we know first-hand that his defense is very vulnerable to a hurry-up.

In Chan's defense, I think he's trying to create ways to get other receivers involved, to take pressure and predictability away from Marshall and Decker. The problem is the guys he's designing plays for, and the way he's designing them... awful.

THIS

no way in h*ll Davis was supposed to be the target 

Gailey called a sh*t game like it or not 3rd and long draw plays,the behind the line of scrimmage pass to Marshall when we needed 5,the Fitzmagic QB keeper up the middle come on man stop defending sh*t. 

Gailey is old and out of sync with the NFL today enough is enough for a good portion of the game I thought we pulled out a Schottenheimer playbook last night.

The Fitz keeper was Fitz's call according to Fitz.  I know as Jets fans our favorite past time is slamming our coordinators, but if Jets receivers catch the football, it's a Jets win.  Gailey can't do that for them.

I'm sure I heard Fitz say Davis was the target in his post game presser.

At the time Fitz released it he was. Not originally i don't think. Davis knocked Decker off his route, and knocked himself onto Decker's route. he was very surprised Decker was behind him, and was staring at Decker until the ball was by him. if the play was executed propertly it looked like it should have been a simple pitch and catch for a TD

The Fitz keeper was Fitz's call according to Fitz.  I know as Jets fans our favorite past time is slamming our coordinators, but if Jets receivers catch the football, it's a Jets win.  Gailey can't do that for them.

sh*tzpatrick couldn't hit the side of a barn last night I was there in person some are blaming the monsoon rains,funny i only felt a drizzle.

sh*tzpatrick couldn't hit the side of a barn last night I was there in person some are blaming the monsoon rains,funny i only felt a drizzle.

Not sure what that has to do with Gailey, but sure.

Can't totally agree with you on this, I think Gailey is the type of oc you need when you have no QB.  Neither one of our guys could run a more traditional offense.  In any case OC's are always the 1st to get blamed, especially on these forums.

Not sure what that has to do with Gailey, but sure.

You said if Jets receivers catch the football,its a Jets win. 

sh*tzpatrick throws a sh*tty ball the WRs cant bail him out all the time. 

And yes the play calling and Gailey suck as well. 

Can't totally agree with you on this, I think Gailey is the type of oc you need when you have no QB.  Neither one of our guys could run a more traditional offense.  In any case OC's are always the 1st to get blamed, especially on these forums.

Gailey and Bowles dont adjust thats a major problem a game plan always needs to be adjusted especially when your QB is struggling. 

You said if Jets receivers catch the football,its a Jets win. 

sh*tzpatrick throws a sh*tty ball the WRs cant bail him out all the time. 

And yes the play calling and Gailey suck as well. 

You're right....receivers dropping the football is totally on Gailey.  Good call.

sh*tZPATRICK THROWS A sh*tTY BALL ALMOST ALWAYS HES A WEAK ARMED QB 

sh*tZPATRICK THROWS A sh*tTY BALL ALMOST ALWAYS HES A WEAK ARMED QB 

Yeah, that ball deep down the right sideline that Marshall dropped was terrible....LOL

Agenda, much?

Gailey and Bowles dont adjust thats a major problem a game plan always needs to be adjusted especially when your QB is struggling. 

I know what your saying but it is tough to adjust when your QB simply can't do all the things required of a QB.  For instance, I thought the 1st two play calls of deep balls were normally good calls, but the Qb simply does not have the arm.  I was not a fan of the Gailey hire in the 1st place but I don't think he has been that bad other than near the goal line and not running the damn thong 3 times.

He throws a good pass on occasions, he's way too inconsistent for my liking.

Why has he been with 7 teams in 8 years.

My only concern is whether or not he throws good passes often enough to satisfy his coaches and give the Jets a chance to win football games.

Archived