Kellen Davis

JoJoTownsell1

Just curious why you don't like him.

Basically, I think he sucks.  Guys want to rip Cumberland, but I think Cumberland is considerably better and he is a straight JAG.  Davis basically has never had a good receiving season.  Two years in the 20 for 200 range.  Cumberland has had three years better the Davis best.  He is big and has hung around, so people decided he was a "blocking tight end" but his blocking numbers have not been particularly good either.  I think that he is an average blocking TE that doesn't catch the ball.  There were also times where he looks kind of awkward and unaware, like the end zone against the Bills.  My Giants fan cousin had nothing nice to say about him and they have been playing street FAs all year.  Ask dbatesman.  He lives in Chicago and lived through the Kellen Davis glory years.  Oh, and he is also not young.  Funny thing is that he made a couple of plays - a good block, and fumble recovery against the Jags.  I thought it was his best game.  I am hopeful that Enunwa takes all those snaps back.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams do this all the time . You constantly see teams throwing to a Backup TE in pressure situations because the defense is keying on the top options. Is it better to throw to a double coved guy or a guy that's going to be heavily contested rather than a guy like Davis ? The call was correct but Davis is obviously not pro material

Davis botched the play because he was supposed to run a fade instead he tried to set a puck illegally for Decker.  I love Davis's answer "I didn't think the throw was coming to me". -  what the **** mentality is that for an NFL skill position player?

you are so right about the backup tight end thing.  How many times does Russel Wilson target Luke Wilson on 3rd and long?

Teams do this all the time . You constantly see teams throwing to a Backup TE in pressure situations because the defense is keying on the top options. Is it better to throw to a double coved guy or a guy that's going to be heavily contested rather than a guy like Davis ? The call was correct but Davis is obviously not pro material

Your points are good, but yes.  Yes, it is much better to throw to a guy that is heavily covered than to Kellen Davis.  Better tight ends than Kellen Davis include JJ Watt and Sheldon Richardson.

Having a good tight end is overrated because Gailey runs the spread.  Das wut da people who know everting tole me

So far this season he hasn't utilized the TE in his offense. Is this by design or because we lack a pure receiving TE option. I do know contrary to what many thought here, they truly missed Enumwa the past 4 weeks, his edge and perimeter blocking helped the run game. 

Very true. I was begging the Jets to go out and get Martellus Bennett before the deadline. We have, by far, the worst group of TEs in the NFL. With that said, if a guy is on the roster at Tight End he has to be able to catch a floater. Jumbo Elliott won us a game back in 2000. Plenty of teams run plays for backup Tight ends around the goal line because they are often left wide open. If Davis makes the play Gailey looks like a genius. In the end, the blame is on Kellen Davis. 

Gailey could have closed his eyes and just said, ok guys just run a fade to the corner of the endzone to Marshall. That pass would have been contested by 1, if not 2 defenders. This situation had Davis all alone in the back of the endzone. Gailey can't assume his tight end would lose focus on the biggest play of the game. Personally, I would cut Davis. Teach everyone a lesson that you better be alert at all times. 

If you think about it, between our lack of a NFL caliber TE and punt/kick returner, it is truly amazing that we are 5 and 4.  On the flip side, if we had either or both we could be 6 -3 or even 7 - 2.  That's how bad we are in those to areas.... 

Your points are good, but yes.  Yes, it is much better to throw to a guy that is heavily covered than to Kellen Davis.  Better tight ends than Kellen Davis include JJ Watt and Sheldon Richardson.

well yeah now that we know Davis is a complete waste to throw too I would much rather lob one up for one of our tall WR's or even cumbercrap. Funny thing is if we connect on that play everyone's a genius but unfortunately for Gailey that was not the case.

All that being said our WR's just have to stop dropping passes its getting ridiculous how many dropped passes have potentially cost us games along with stupid fumbles and laterals we have to play smarter because our offense is there ...Obviously next year we must target a TE and a RB that's a real threat to receive out of the backfield. Fitz really has very little in the way of outlets and check downs. I think if you give Fitz a guy like a Sproles or a Forte he would really have a nice situation but not having both positions really hurts at times

Archived