Bowles unaware of score?

AFJF

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this coach is worst the Rex ,no hurry up allfa

The guy kick for Texas he missed key kicks but you half give the guy a shot. This coach is not very smart, if you going to go for it at least pass passed the first down marker

I sincerely hope this post was hastily typed on a phone with confused auto-correct. It's unreadable.

It's funny,  the Bowles criticism here sounds eerily similar to Rex haters club narrative. Could Bowles be Rex II minus the flair?

Way to early to go there.  But I have to admit, for 4 weeks now this team has looked flat coming out, and played with out passion.   Also the Eagles game.  

I honestly thought this team was going to come out amped with Rex coming into the building.  The coaching was questionable at best.  It's good, I guess to have a non-reactionary HC like Bowles after the Rex emotional roller coaster, but you have to have some sense of passion and urgency.  I just don't see it on this team right now.  Hope Bowles can adjust

Surprised I hadn't seen this brought up today.  In his post-game presser he was asked why not kick the FG and his reply was odd in two ways.

1) He said they went for the TD because they were down by six and unsure if they'd get the ball back when they were actually down by 5.

2) He said if they had kicked the FG, he wasn't so sure they'd recover the onside kick.  Why would he be thinking onside kick with almost three minutes left, all three TO's and the 2 min warning?

Thoughts?

this was a bad all around game for bowles when it came to decision making.   you really can't reconcile going for 1 in the 3rd, wasting 35 seconds at the end of the 3rd, and then not kicking the FG early in the 4th quarter. 

I though the end of the game decision was fine but was more the result of being boxed in by poor game management up to that point.   

the defense came to play last night, it's unfortunate that Bowles was unprepared to deal with adversity.  

Surprised I hadn't seen this brought up today.  In his post-game presser he was asked why not kick the FG and his reply was odd in two ways.

1) He said they went for the TD because they were down by six and unsure if they'd get the ball back when they were actually down by 5.

2) He said if they had kicked the FG, he wasn't so sure they'd recover the onside kick.  Why would he be thinking onside kick with almost three minutes left, all three TO's and the 2 min warning?

Thoughts?

He's a clueless stubborn coach and Im not surprised at all. He's been extremely fortunate with his wins.

this coach is worst the Rex ,no hurry up allfa

The guy kick for Texas he missed key kicks but you half give the guy a shot. This coach is not very smart, if you going to go for it at least pass passed the first down marker

I don't know where you get that from. He did not miss key kicks for Houston (certainly not this year). Not one of his kicks resulted in a loss.  The game that caused him to get cut, against Tampa Bay, Houston won by 10 points. They cut him because he missed his second XP of the season (which is terrible).

But in terms of actual FGs, he was 5/6 this year, and last year he was an 86% FG kicker. He hadn't missed a FG inside of 40 yards in just over a year (Nov 2 last year to be exact).  There's no indication or evidence that having Bullock, rather than Folk, factored into his decision to go for it. 

I do agree on that moronic WR screen play, but I'm more pissed that it's even in the QB's audible arsenal in the first place than I am with Fitz for audibling into it. Especially on 4th & 2, the only reason you might go for it is the short yardage. So what does Fitz audible into? A pass where Marshall - who he telegraphs passes to like crazy to begin with - has to go more than twice that distance and must necessarily break/elude a tackle to get there. Wouldn't be a factor if that wasn't one of his audible choices. 

I don't know where you get that from. He did not miss key kicks for Houston (certainly not this year). Not one of his kicks resulted in a loss.  The game that caused him to get cut, against Tampa Bay, Houston won by 10 points. They cut him because he missed his second XP of the season (which is terrible).

But in terms of actual FGs, he was 5/6 this year, and last year he was an 86% FG kicker. He hadn't missed a FG inside of 40 yards in just over a year (Nov 2 last year to be exact).  There's no indication or evidence that having Bullock, rather than Folk, factored into his decision to go for it. 

I do agree on that moronic WR screen play, but I'm more pissed that it's even in the QB's audible arsenal in the first place than I am with Fitz for audibling into it. Especially on 4th & 2, the only reason you might go for it is the short yardage. So what does Fitz audible into? A pass where Marshall - who he telegraphs passes to like crazy to begin with - has to go more than twice that distance and must necessarily break/elude a tackle to get there. Wouldn't be a factor if that wasn't one of his audible choices. 

I noticed Bullock kicks more touchbacks then Foles..

I noticed Bullock kicks more touchbacks then Foles..

He'd muffed a pair of XPs. There's no excuse for it, even with the longer distance this year. Prior to that he'd never missed an XP from the old, easy distance. In terms of FG percentage he was in the top half of the league (86% is plenty good). He was also pretty even on his few misses. They weren't all 50+ types. On the contrary, he was 7/8 from 40-49 and 4/5 from 50+ distance. He's got plenty of leg.

I really don't think Bowles was going to kick it with or without Folk. He just decided he wanted to go for it. 

He'd muffed a pair of XPs. There's no excuse for it, even with the longer distance this year. Prior to that he'd never missed an XP from the old, easy distance. In terms of FG percentage he was in the top half of the league (86% is plenty good). He was also pretty even on his few misses. They weren't all 50+ types. On the contrary, he was 7/8 from 40-49 and 4/5 from 50+ distance. He's got plenty of leg.

I really don't think Bowles was going to kick it with or without Folk. He just decided he wanted to go for it. 

And that's exactly what Bowles said in a post game interview..

And that's exactly what Bowles said in a post game interview..

Hard to know. I wouldn't expect him to say - or even hint - that he didn't have confidence in Bullock.

But what bothers me about the decision - other than the decision itself - is that it seemed so off the cuff. He didn't know what he wanted to do, despite giving himself plenty of time to think about it when he (stupidly) let the clock run out in the 3rd quarter.

Hard to know. I wouldn't expect him to say - or even hint - that he didn't have confidence in Bullock.

But what bothers me about the decision - other than the decision itself - is that it seemed so off the cuff. He didn't know what he wanted to do, despite giving himself plenty of time to think about it when he (stupidly) let the clock run out in the 3rd quarter.

He said if he had it to do over again he still would have gone for TD's..

Actions speak louder than words, so saying he doesn't trust the defense means nothing, but his decision to not kick the FG speaks volumes. He is beginning to look over his head. He speaks with quiet confidence, but I am starting to think he is as phony as Rex. I really want this guy to be successful, but he has a lot to learn, especially if he considers himself a Parcells disciple. You don't 'go for broke' with thee minutes, three timeouts and a defense that had forced three straight three and out possessions.

You should lend him your pointy little hat Sperm Edwards. It looks like it would fit perfectly.

Not according to the people who loved the hire, which was nearly everybody

It seems like the criticism is coming from all angles though. To be fair,  a lot of it is valid. But hopefully Bowles will learn and adjust. The rematches against the Cheatriots and Bills should be telling. 

He said if he had it to do over again he still would have gone for TD's..

He doesn't talk much, and still talks too much.

I don't know if it's inferred - presumably it is but he doesn't even allude to it - but he should have added he would have tried a different play. But then, he doesn't touch the offense - other than 1 early-week discussion with Gailey, per his own admission - and he'd go for it even in the face of the decision being a failure. Ultimately, whether he realizes it or not, his strategy is to get the first down, without a strategy of how to get it. "Just get the 1st down, and I'll use hindsight as my guide to determine what play I'd run."

Never mind he may have still had to opt for a FG if faced with 4th and 8 on the next series, and could have a couple minutes less to get the same TD+FG after that. At least on the second one it was TD-or-bust (risk 3 points to get 7 points); this was merely 1st down or bust (risk 3 points to get a 1st down that may still only lead to a FG anyway).

It shows some of the same stubbornness he displayed in his presser after the Colts game, without the wisdom or past body of work to justify that hardheadedness. It doesn't mean he's destined to be a bad coach, but IMO it is a concern.

He doesn't talk much, and still talks too much.

I don't know if it's inferred - presumably it is but he doesn't even allude to it - but he should have added he would have tried a different play. But then, he doesn't touch the offense - other than 1 early-week discussion with Gailey, per his own admission - and he'd go for it even in the face of the decision being a failure. Ultimately, whether he realizes it or not, his strategy is to get the first down, without a strategy of how to get it. "Just get the 1st down, and I'll use hindsight as my guide to determine what play I'd run."

Never mind he may have still had to opt for a FG if faced with 4th and 8 on the next series, and could have a couple minutes less to get the same TD+FG after that. At least on the second one it was TD-or-bust (risk 3 points to get 7 points); this was merely 1st down or bust (risk 3 points to get a 1st down that may still only lead to a FG anyway).

It shows some of the same stubbornness he displayed in his presser after the Colts game, without the wisdom or past body of work to justify that hardheadedness. It doesn't mean he's destined to be a bad coach, but IMO it is a concern.

The problem I have bringing up concerns now is that he's realistically not being fired after this year. So next year should be the actual year of judgement. 

This has nothing to do with being a homer or not. This has to do with being fair.

No, it has to do with being a homer with no sense of what's fair. The team maxed out the cap, and outside of our veteran, game manager QB had very few holes. And you still expected only a moderate improvement from 4-12. There is nothing fair about that. It's just being a homer who will excuse any failure you see in front of your eyes.

We're all Jets fans here but if you still accept and cheer for more of this failure you should buy a cheerleader uniform. No pictures, please.

No, it has to do with being a homer with no sense of what's fair. The team maxed out the cap, and outside of our veteran, game manager QB had very few holes. And you still expected only a moderate improvement from 4-12. There is nothing fair about that. It's just being a homer who will excuse any failure you see in front of your eyes.

Go buy a cheerleader uniform. No pictures, please.

The expectation is 7-9 wins. That is the expectation that I had and that a lot of other people had. People dumped those expectations after a fast start, which Jets fans should know better. They had to max out the cap, they had no choice in the matter. 

I'm a Yankees fan. Spending money does not equal championships. If you want an example in this sport, ask the Eagles.

The expectation is 7-9 wins. That is the expectation that I had and that a lot of other people had. People dumped those expectations after a fast start, which Jets fans should know better. They had to max out the cap, they had no choice in the matter. 

I'm a Yankees fan. Spending money does not equal championships. If you want an example in this sport, ask the Eagles.

No, it isn't. Your expectation is 7-9 wins and you're placing that upon the rest of the fan base.

The rest of the fan base wants more than that after the spending spree in free agency.

The Yankees and Eagles have absolutely nothing to do with the Jets. Nothing.

No, it isn't. Your expectation is 7-9 wins and you're placing that upon the rest of the fan base.

The rest of the fan base wants more than that after the spending spree in free agency.

The Yankees and Eagles have absolutely nothing to do with the Jets. Nothing.

It's not just my expectations, A lot of the media had the same expectations, some even worse.

The rest of the fan base wants more? Then the rest of the fan base are idiots who don't understand how to construct a football team.

Name me a football team that went from 4-12 to the division title, and then sustain that success?

It took Parcells 2 years to do it. We went from 1-15 to 9-7. If that expectation got Parcells another year, then it should be good enough for Bowles. 

And bullsh*t that I can't use the Yankees and Eagles, They are sports teams, this is the way sports work.

The onside is a perfectly acceptable play there, btw. This is Ryan Fitzpatrick here. He's not getting into the end zone in anything less than 2 minutes because he's throwing it 8-12 yards at a time at the most, and his receivers aren't going to turn upfield and make anyone miss. Again, those who are arguing for field goals would be MURDERING Bowles for leaving the game in the hands of a street free agent kicker they signed two days prior, in the rain, in November. 

The onside is a perfectly acceptable play there, btw. This is Ryan Fitzpatrick here. He's not getting into the end zone in anything less than 2 minutes because he's throwing it 8-12 yards at a time at the most, and his receivers aren't going to turn upfield and make anyone miss. Again, those who are arguing for field goals would be MURDERING Bowles for leaving the game in the hands of a street free agent kicker they signed two days prior, in the rain, in November. 

Um...they don't need the TD.  If they kick the FG there, they only need 3 to win.

Um...they don't need the TD.  If they kick the FG there, they only need 3 to win.

You're either getting the TD or setting the street free agent kicker up for a FG attempt in the rain in NJ in November. You take the chance to get the ball back (onsides) with time on a short field as opposed to kicking it deep, letting them run clock, then getting the punt return, then asking Fitz to move it down the field for a 30 yard field goal from a guy who was bagging groceries on Monday.

You're either getting the TD or setting the street free agent kicker up for a FG attempt in the rain in NJ in November. You take the chance to get the ball back (onsides) with time on a short field as opposed to kicking it deep, letting them run clock, then getting the punt return, then asking Fitz to move it down the field for a 30 yard field goal from a guy who was bagging groceries on Monday.

The street FA was 5-6 from 50+ during pre-game, including 1-2 from 58.  What's the point of signing any kicker if the goal is to hide him?  Just let Qugley do both jobs and save the roster spot.

Archived