Should the NFL end Thursday Night Football?

CobraVerde

Should the NFL end Thursday Night Football?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL end Thursday Night Football?

• Yes. Players need the extra time to heal and the games are always terrible.
    • No. More Football please.
    • Yes, but they should increase the roster to account for the injuries.

I don't think it does the teams any favors by running a mid-week game. It compounds the harm of injuries because players lose three days to heal before the next game. Sure, you get an extra three days before the next game but playing two games within five days makes it that much more likely that the players will need those extra days to rest and/or heal.

It's also another opportunity for the schedule to affect how the season shakes out. We need less of that, not more.

Why Thursday instead of friday for instance?  The CFL has had Friday night football for a while now and it does really well ratings wise.

I'm pretty sure it's because Friday is exclusively reserved for local (i.e. high school) games. They can't. It's part of their agreement to get Sundays all to themselves or something.

Someone else can take the time to look up the details but that's what I'd always heard.

Jets probably would have had a better chance of playing this Sunday instead of Thursday night, our guys would have been fresher. We faced a team that was getting healthy while our squad was really beat up & trying to incorporate another safety, and our WRs were to beat up to practice.

They will never stop TNF but I would venture to say the teams that come out of the games the Sunday before healthier probably win most of the TNF matchups. I'd like to see someone look into it. It probably takes the home field advantage away when those trips are short like Buffalo to MetLife. The home team doesn't practice much anyway because their beat up & there's really no time.

The only way Thursday Night Football should work is with the two teams that are playing coming off of a bye week. Seems pretty simple to me. 

The players wouldn't want that, because they'd never get a true week off. And as a fan, I don't think I'd want it either. Team plays in Europe with a 9:30 local start, off the next Sunday, plays that Thursday night, off the following Sunday again. Practically a month between getting to see them on Sunday afternoon. 

I think the main reason Friday wasn't picked was TV ratings would be lower because more people go out that night.  It's the same reason Mon & Thur games don't start at 7 or 7:30 in the East.   Ratings for 4 or 4:30 starts in the West would be lower.   It's always about the $.

Ratings for Sat night games would be diluted by college football; so the Thursday night package was hatched.

The players wouldn't want that, because they'd never get a true week off. And as a fan, I don't think I'd want it either. Team plays in Europe with a 9:30 local start, off the next Sunday, plays that Thursday night, off the following Sunday again. Practically a month between getting to see them on Sunday afternoon. 

The byes weren't created to give the players a rest but to stretch the season to 17 weeks of TV programming instead of 16.   In any case, TNF isn't going anywhere due to the $.

Good poll its a joke because not only short week but then the following week you play s team with significantly less rest. It's bs all the way around. Of course people will watch nfl will make money so it's here to stay sadly

Archived