Rookie Head Coaches

Smashmouth

I'm getting sick of reading all the excuses for Rookie Head Coaches. They have been a part of this game for their entire lives. A good portion of them have already been coaching for many years some in DC or OC spots and very much involved in the way games play out. Yet fans and the Sports media give them the rookie pass which IMHO is bullsh*t . Did they become HC's then suddenly forget everything they know about a game they have been involved with their entire lives ?

Athletes have issues because they may be physically limited vs the competition or just don't have the aptitude to make the step to the NFL... but coaches ??? Sorry but the early passes these guys get for being rookies is pure nonsense Most of what they do managing a game is simple math and clock management ...sorry but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to pull off these feats especially when you have been associated with the game for so long. Game management is the same at all levels HS, College, and Pros its the same freakin game just played with different athletes at different levels you're either good or your bad. Didn't see rookie HC Jim Harbaugh making dreadfully dumb decisions didn't see Walsh or Parcells doing it The list of rookie HC's who had a good handle on WTF is going on usually move forward with great careers the ones who just struggle through games Like Rex just should not be HC's and Im not very happy with what Ive seen from Bowles either I expected much much more after reading all the hype about how smart he is.  

Being a Headcoach is a whole different challenge than being a DC Bowels has all new responsibilities and lots of new things to learn. I am not trying to say he is doing a stellar job or that he is the best coach in all the lands I am just saying he is inexperienced in the role in which he is assigned to right now. There have been good head coaches in their rookie years generally those head coaches come in and work with what they had and don't change much but we changed a lot with our playbooks and coaches so the players needed some time to learn. I think Bowels will come around if we don't run him out of town first and I don't disagree that with the talent on the team we should do better than we have to this point. I have found though that there are Jet fans who will try to find garbage excuses to hate their own team ("we haven't beaten a team that is .500"...). We are already better than what we were last year, we wont likely be in the superbowl this year. Be happy with what we have and that we have someone behind the curtains who can evaluate talent and hopefully build a good future for us.

I do understand the frustration but not the post. No rookie HC that was mentioned had Fitz and Geno as starters for their team. 

Harbaugh's decision not to go with Smith was gutsy but Smith is way better than the guys we have now.  

And Parcells was almost fired after his first year because folks thought he sucked!!

I just think that anyone who thought that this team was going to be playoff ready team this year for sure wasn't being realistic.  Why?

Because we have had awful talent on this team for three years and one off season alone wasn't going to change that an add the QB situation and the Jets were not and should not have been earmarked for a better than 9 or 10 win bubble team.  

That is who we are currently.  As other posters have pointed out execution was the problem not disorganization. 

We just have to realize this is what happens in rebuilding years. It sucks it does.  

But this is real life not FF. 

So, football players can be around the game all their lives, but when they make the pros it takes them time to reach their full potential.

However, a coach can be around the game their whole lives, but when they reach the pinnacle of their profession they are to also peak at said profession right away? 

O-kay.......

I do understand the frustration but not the post. No rookie HC that was mentioned had Fitz and Geno as starters for their team. 

Harbaugh's decision not to go with Smith was gutsy but Smith is way better than the guys we have now.  

And Parcells was almost fired after his first year because folks thought he sucked!!

I just think that anyone who thought that this team was going to be playoff ready team this year for sure wasn't being realistic.  Why?

Because we have had awful talent on this team for three years and one off season alone wasn't going to change that an add the QB situation and the Jets were not and should not have been earmarked for a better than 9 or 10 win bubble team.  

That is who we are currently.  As other posters have pointed out execution was the problem not disorganization. 

We just have to realize this is what happens in rebuilding years. It sucks it does.  

But this is real like not FF. 

Teams rebuild to a larger or smaller degree every year CB. What was the team 4-12 missing in 2007 after going 10-6 in 06? Decent QB play plus Revis and Harris were rookies and that was the year Tanny and Mangini decided to screw with Pete Kendall over 2 million and he was traded to the Skins. That by itself really screwed up execution on the O-line because Kendall had been a help to rookies Mangold and Brick in 2006.. If you look at the team on the whole as a engine some moves fine tune it and other can cause it to run rough or even worse not on a all cylinders.. So I agree you have to give the mechanic's(Mac& Bowles) more then 1 season to get the engine in shape to run for the trophy.. And as much as I like Fitz he's not the answer or driver to take the team where we want to go.. And if our Petty turns out to be as good as Richard Petty that could be the answer but we won't know till he's in the drivers seat..;)

I called that this was going to happen, and I was exactly right. This team will never win because the pressure on them to win is too great.

THEY WENT 4-12 LAST YEAR. 4 and ******* 12.

And all the sudden, they are pressured to get to the playoffs. And don't give me "oh expectations change." Jets fans, of ALL PEOPLE, should know better.

But this is real life not FF. 

Don't want you to miss my point I'm talking more game management ... I'm not talking about talent around the coach, I'm not talking scheme, I'm not talking organization I'm talking in game management from a very basic sense. I'm not talking about players who do not execute or drop a pass either .

Rex was horrific at both in game management and organization that's why we had so many 12 men on the field pena;lties with Rex. Its seems organization is Bowles Strong point since I think we have had only one 12 man penalty. My problem with Bowles is more the basic stuff when to kick the field goal ,when not too, how to play the clock and when to throw Bobby April the **** out of the building :)

So, football players can be around the game all their lives, but when they make the pros it takes them time to reach their full potential.

However, a coach can be around the game their whole lives, but when they reach the pinnacle of their profession they are to also peak at said profession right away? 

O-kay.......

I'm not talking about big things here I'm talking about small things that can have a big effect on the game. You would think a coach at this level would have mastered by now. When it comes to clock management and other factors in games it does not change from level to level . In HS and College you still have to manage the clock these guys have been around this forever its not new to them like a QB coming out of college having to get used to the speed of the game and complicated play books. As fans we can all sit back and see when a coach is making a terrible decision yet the coach with all the years of experience in organized football just can't get it done ... We saw Herm screw it up we saw Mangini screw it up we saw Rex screw it up Sure those guys had some good qualities but the in game management has ALWAYS sucked here ALWAYS and to be honest I'm sick of it. We had some normalcy for a while with Parcells and he was not the greatest at c;lock management but he was not nearly as bad as the crap we have seen the past 15 freakin years. You have to know when to kick a god damn field goal. And if you have to throw the ball to Marshall 3 freakin times in a row when at the 4 yard line then you do it. That's why we have a 6'5 WR

Also just to clarify I'm not bashing Bowles as a Head Coach I'm saying I'm disappointed with some of his in game decisions and to be honest I think he should know better. It does not mean I'm giving up on Bowles I'm just pointing out the facts that he has made some very questionable decisions.

I'm not talking about big things here I'm talking about small things that can have a big effect on the game. You would think a coach at this level would have mastered by now. When it comes to clock management and other factors in games it does not change from level to level . In HS and College you still have to manage the clock these guys have been around this forever its not new to them like a QB coming out of college having to get used to the speed of the game and complicated play books. As fans we can all sit back and see when a coach is making a terrible decision yet the coach with all the years of experience in organized football just can't get it done ... We saw Herm screw it up we saw Mangini screw it up we saw Rex screw it up Sure those guys had some good qualities but the in game management has ALWAYS sucked here ALWAYS and to be honest I'm sick of it. We had some normalcy for a while with Parcells and he was not the greatest at c;lock management but he was not nearly as bad as the crap we have seen the past 15 freakin years. You have to know when to kick a god damn field goal. And if you have to throw the ball to Marshall 3 freakin times in a row when at the 4 yard line then you do it. That's why we have a 6'5 WR

Parcell's would have made the playoffs in both 1997 and 1999 but he made some dumb play calls against the Lions in 97 and went 1-6 in 99 before finally putting Ray Lucas in at QB..

Don't want you to miss my point I'm talking more game management ... I'm not talking about talent around the coach, I'm not talking scheme, I'm not talking organization I'm talking in game management from a very basic sense. I'm not talking about players who do not execute or drop a pass either .

Rex was horrific at both in game management and organization that's why we had so many 12 men on the field pena;lties with Rex. Its seems organization is Bowles Strong point since I think we have had only one 12 man penalty. My problem with Bowles is more the basic stuff when to kick the field goal ,when not too, how to play the clock and when to throw Bobby April the **** out of the building :)

I see what you are saying and I would be lying if I said that I was not disappointed with the same things as you are.  I am. 

In truth I am just hoping some of the mind bending decisions that Bowles is evidencing can be attributed to him being a raw HC.  And no rookie HCs don't get a pass they don't give discounted tickets because a guy is a rookie HC so people should be expecting excellence. 

In truth it is the tone that Bowles is setting by not hitting the right notes at times that is concerning.   He is in truth getting his sea legs.  He is and I can't let it drive me crazy and you shouldn't either because it is what it is right now.  And he has not emploded  so we have to give him some time.  

But in truth a part of me knows that I don't think that I can take another poor coach so I am hoping against hope that Bowles can over time right the ship cause after 40 years of being a fan my nerves can no longer take it.

Parcell's would have made the playoffs in both 1997 and 1999 but he made some dumb play calls against the Lions in 97 and went 1-6 in 99 before finally putting Ray Lucas in at QB..

Yeah and he also turned this organization around from a laughing stock Kotite put together. He won 2 SB's the second of which he had a brilliant game plan to keep the ball out of Kellys hand and ram it down Buffalos throat. Like I said he was not perfect but he had a hell of a lot more good qualities than bad

I see what you are saying and I would be lying if I said that I was not disappointed with the same things as you are.  I am. 

In truth I am just hoping some of the mind bending decisions that Bowles is evidencing can be attributed to him being a raw HC.  And no rookie HCs don't get a pass they don't give discounted tickets because a guy is a rookie HC so people should be expecting excellence. 

In truth it is the tone that Bowles is setting by not hitting the right notes at times that is concerning.   He is in truth getting his sea legs.  He is and I can't let it drive me crazy and you shouldn't either because it is what it is right now.  And he has not emploded  so we have to give him some time.  

But in truth a part of me knows that I don't think that I can take another poor coach so I am hoping against hope that Bowles can over time right the ship cause after 40 years of being a fan my nerves can no longer take it.

Buckle up CB old buddy one day soon Lucy won't pull the ball away..;)

bowles has shown some ability to learn and adjust. he has shown the ability to survive a tabloid scandal and some good basic leadership traits.

he took his timeouts on the north side of 2 minutes and started the game very aggressively on both sides of the ball

in the end the players didn't make plays

that's it fellas

very well said my friend

Yeah and he also turned this organization around from a laughing stock Kotite put together. He won 2 SB's the second of which he had a brilliant game plan to keep the ball out of Kellys hand and ram it down Buffalos throat. Like I said he was not perfect but he had a hell of a lot more good qualities than bad

I was agreeing with you that even good HC's make bonehead decisions.. 

bowles has shown some ability to learn and adjust. he has shown the ability to survive a tabloid scandal and some good basic leadership traits.

he took his timeouts on the north side of 2 minutes and started the game very aggressively on both sides of the ball

in the end the players didn't make plays

that's it fellas

He even forgave the Honey Badger for knocking up his daughter and played him with the Cards..:)

I'm getting sick of reading all the excuses for Rookie Head Coaches. They have been a part of this game for their entire lives. A good portion of them have already been coaching for many years some in DC or OC spots and very much involved in the way games play out. Yet fans and the Sports media give them the rookie pass which IMHO is bullsh*t . Did they become HC's then suddenly forget everything they know about a game they have been involved with their entire lives ?

Athletes have issues because they may be physically limited vs the competition or just don't have the aptitude to make the step to the NFL... but coaches ??? Sorry but the early passes these guys get for being rookies is pure nonsense Most of what they do managing a game is simple math and clock management ...sorry but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to pull off these feats especially when you have been associated with the game for so long. Game management is the same at all levels HS, College, and Pros its the same freakin game just played with different athletes at different levels you're either good or your bad. Didn't see rookie HC Jim Harbaugh making dreadfully dumb decisions didn't see Walsh or Parcells doing it The list of rookie HC's who had a good handle on WTF is going on usually move forward with great careers the ones who just struggle through games Like Rex just should not be HC's and Im not very happy with what Ive seen from Bowles either I expected much much more after reading all the hype about how smart he is.  

I think this is a legitimate concern, I know I've thought them.  

Not saying the guy should be prepared to handle everything that comes his way...or is expected to take a 4 win team to 12 wins.   But why shouldn't a person that's been around football his entire life not know to kick FG when you're down 12 with 15 min's left in the game? or to not run a WR screen pass from the 4 yard line?

Those seem like basic fundamentals, that being a rookie HC shouldn't excuse.  

I'm sure there are plenty of new challenges that come with being a first year HC, and it's why I will give Bowles plenty of slack before I jump off the bandwagon (I'm still heavily entrenched with this guy) but some of the very basic mistakes he's made are concerning.

He has been exposed to and learned from coaches like Joe Gibbs, Parcells, Bruce Ariens and many more from his playing days. He is beginning to look like a guy thrown into the deep end who really doesn't know how to swim yet. Plus, his explanations are, inexplicable and highly dubious. The shine on this guy is wearing off quickly.

Lets not forget guys like Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs, Cowher, etc. had bad seasons early in their careers with many bad HC decisions that caused much of the losing. You learn in this world from experience, which hopefully Bowles will. I have seen him learn already here and there, only thing is there is much to learn in many different scenarios and mistakes in each of those cases hurt and cause you problems in games you win and causes you to even lose some of those games. Heck i am 50 and still find myself making mistakes in life at things like work and everyday issues taking care of 2 houses I own simply because there are so many scenarios you can simply always misjudge certain things. But, as time and events go by the more you learn and it allows you to limit mistakes especially big ones more and more. It's just how life is, we learn as we go. Very little things are as easy as a game of tic-tac-toe or jacks where there's not much that can go wrong.  

You didn't see Parcells doing it?  He went 3-12-1 his first season, was close to being fired.  

You have to learn how to coach. 

Parcells in 99 pissed me off.

How long did he stick with Rick Mirer?

Parcells totally turned the team around.  He also screwed up kind of bad in 99.

And, I hate to say it, the defensive game plan to beat Buffalo was more BB than Parcells.  He used it again to beat the Rams with the Pats.

Parcells #1 gift is his ability to organize, and his ability to get quality coaches around him.  Look at the staffs he had.  That is where a lot of rookie HC have trouble, putting together a good staff.

All I know is that fans want the cycle of instability and dysfunction to continue. 

Stability is awesome if you are going down the tight path. Teams with stability are on that correct path. And the path that is chosen is dictated ultimately by the owner who chooses the GM and HC. Poor teams with no stability consistently make the wrong choice, because they do not learn from their mistakes, and repeat them when hiring new personnel. It is not a true statement to think that just providing long term stability to these coaches will end up with them being successful, because they are not inherently aligned properly philosophically to be successful.

In our case, our owner continues to hire the same guy. Every coach since Parcells has been a defense first guy who believes in being super conservative on offense. I suspect Woody thinks that is what Parcells was, but he is very wrong in that. Parcells was FAR more balanced and adaptable in the way that he coached than any coach since, who to a man have been unbalanced and unadaptable. It did not hurt that Parcells also had Belichick for most of his career either.

If you look at the successful teams that have that stability, you will find that those coaches are balanced, flexible and adaptable. Until Woody chooses a coach like that (which Bowles does not appear to be, despite early positive signs) the cycle will inevitably continue.

Stability is awesome if you are going down the tight path. Teams with stability are on that correct path. And the path that is chosen is dictated ultimately by the owner who chooses the GM and HC. Poor teams with no stability consistently make the wrong choice, because they do not learn from their mistakes, and repeat them when hiring new personnel. It is not a true statement to think that just providing long term stability to these coaches will end up with them being successful, because they are not inherently aligned properly philosophically to be successful.

In our case, our owner continues to hire the same guy. Every coach since Parcells has been a defense first guy who believes in being super conservative on offense. I suspect Woody thinks that is what Parcells was, but he is very wrong in that. Parcells was FAR more balanced and adaptable in the way that he coached than any coach since, who to a man have been unbalanced and unadaptable. It did not hurt that Parcells also had Belichick for most of his career either.

If you look at the successful teams that have that stability, you will find that those coaches are balanced, flexible and adaptable. Until Woody chooses a coach like that (which Bowles does not appear to be, despite early positive signs) the cycle will inevitably continue.

I think some of the defense first comes from an inability to find a functional QB.  Fitz is not Brady, but he is far and away the best we have had in years. 

I think Bowles is flexible.  People talk about his inability to adapt in game, but how many games has the team come out after half time and showed huge improvement?  Philly, Buffalo, Washington to name 3 off the top of my head.

He wants a balanced offense, but that's also because we don't have a top 5 QB back there.  He loves his 3-4, but with this team they play a lot of 4 man lines.

I think some of the defense first comes from an inability to find a functional QB.  Fitz is not Brady, but he is far and away the best we have had in years. 

I think Bowles is flexible.  People talk about his inability to adapt in game, but how many games has the team come out after half time and showed huge improvement?  Philly, Buffalo, Washington to name 3 off the top of my head.

He wants a balanced offense, but that's also because we don't have a top 5 QB back there.  He loves his 3-4, but with this team they play a lot of 4 man lines.

I agree. A team with a great QB can have him essentially be the OC. 

And I do believe Bowles is flexible. Last week, he was conservative. This week, he was aggressive. 

Parcells totally turned the team around.  He also screwed up kind of bad in 99.

And, I hate to say it, the defensive game plan to beat Buffalo was more BB than Parcells.  He used it again to beat the Rams with the Pats.

Parcells #1 gift is his ability to organize, and his ability to get quality coaches around him.  Look at the staffs he had.  That is where a lot of rookie HC have trouble, putting together a good staff.

The defensive game plan ? The Bills scored every time they touched the ball until they missed that last second field goal. It was the ball control offense that won the game for the Giants and the 9:00 drives keeping the ball away from the high powered bills

Not a rookie but look at the Moronic Job Kubiak is doing in Denver. Take an 18 year HOF Vet used to calling and running his offense for years and tell him you're going to install a new offense. Denver has the defense and that's the only reason they are winning . All Kubiak had to do was step in and Let Manning run the offense like he has been for years and let the chips fall where they may and he is just too dreadfully stupid to do it. Now Manning is struggling to learn a new offense and does not have the usual hurry up and deception we were so used to seeing from him. Manning was hard to stop because of his smarts and quick decisions on the fly and the confusion he created for defenses now he's just been dragged down by Kubiak and I guessing there is a lot of tension. If I were John Elway I would run Kubiak the hell out of town hand the reigns to Peyton and let the defense continue playing like they have been or there is no way this team gets to a SB

The defensive game plan ? The Bills scored every time they touched the ball until they missed that last second field goal. It was the ball control offense that won the game for the Giants and the 9:00 drives keeping the ball away from the high powered bills

They had the ball 10 times, and scored on 3 of those drives, with the last being a missed FG.   They were 1-9 on third down.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/boxscore/sbxxv

They had the ball 10 times, and scored on 3 of those drives, with the last being a missed FG.   They were 1-9 on third down.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history/boxscore/sbxxv

Yep and a HOF QB probably the best regular season QB ever had a historically bad day. I always felt Kubiak was an Idiot and this pretty much confirms it. How Elway let this moron destroy Manning and a great offense is beyond stupid as well. I mean this is a guy who threw 94 TD passes the last 2 years... Kubiak did all this saying he would install his zone blocking scheme and run the football all to the tune of 89 yards per game  ranked 29th in the NFL what a ******* joke. That number in the rushing category is even worse than it looks since the Broncos are a winning team and should be running the ball in the second half to put games away.

Then I read Kubiak disappointed in himself for Playing Manning vs KC ???? Does this delusional Idiot not realize he may have destroyed one of the most prolific offenses in the history of the game ? Sorry but QB's like Peyton Manning just don't fall off a cliff in one year, his short passing hurry up offense was damn near unstoppable now Kubiak has him throwing down field  

You didn't see Parcells doing it?  He went 3-12-1 his first season, was close to being fired.  

You have to learn how to coach. 

Yes but that was the year after the strike season when the team won 4 games plus he went with Brunner over Simms who had 9 tds and 22 picks.. Even BB went 5-11 till the Jets helped Brady be the starter..:)

Archived