Rookie Head Coaches

Smashmouth

Parcells in 99 pissed me off.

How long did he stick with Rick Mirer?

Well they started 1-6 after Vinny went down and Ray Lucas was 6-3 so 6 game starts.. First game Tom Tupa the punter took over and was 6 for 10 165 yds and 2 td's.. Mirer was 4-11 28 yds and 2 picks..LOL

I'm getting sick of reading all the excuses for Rookie Head Coaches. They have been a part of this game for their entire lives. A good portion of them have already been coaching for many years some in DC or OC spots and very much involved in the way games play out. Yet fans and the Sports media give them the rookie pass which IMHO is bullsh*t . Did they become HC's then suddenly forget everything they know about a game they have been involved with their entire lives ?

Athletes have issues because they may be physically limited vs the competition or just don't have the aptitude to make the step to the NFL... but coaches ??? Sorry but the early passes these guys get for being rookies is pure nonsense Most of what they do managing a game is simple math and clock management ...sorry but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to pull off these feats especially when you have been associated with the game for so long. Game management is the same at all levels HS, College, and Pros its the same freakin game just played with different athletes at different levels you're either good or your bad. Didn't see rookie HC Jim Harbaugh making dreadfully dumb decisions didn't see Walsh or Parcells doing it The list of rookie HC's who had a good handle on WTF is going on usually move forward with great careers the ones who just struggle through games Like Rex just should not be HC's and Im not very happy with what Ive seen from Bowles either I expected much much more after reading all the hype about how smart he is.  

Its different when you're the Head Coach.  You have to make fast crucial decisions that have never been a part of your job before.  So even though they've been part of the game their whole life and have probably seen all the situations possible, it's completely different when you're the one on the line having to make the call.  They have a learning curve because it's all new at that level.  Their level or responsibility is through the roof.  Every coach goes through it, even the Veterans but especially new Head Coaches.  I'm sure Harbaugh had some questionable moments too but I doubt you watched/remembered every game he coached as a rookie, no offense.

The issue with hiring a Defensive Coordinator into the Head Coaching job particularly, is that all the decisions in game are on offense.  So the learning curve is much more steep for former Defensive coaches. Hence why all the questionable decision making that we're debating happened on offense.  He doesnt know that side of the ball and apparently doesnt pay too much attention to it.  Fitzpatrick said they dont even talk throughout the week and Bowles doesnt attend offensive meetings at all.  He just goes over the game plan with Gailey and that's it.  So he's probably not learning about that side right now either, making the job even more challenging! 

You just have to hope he learns from his mistakes. 

Its different when you're the Head Coach.  You have to make fast crucial decisions that have never been a part of your job before.  So even though they've been part of the game their whole life and have probably seen all the situations possible, it's completely different when you're the one on the line having to make the call.  They have a learning curve because it's all new at that level.  Their level or responsibility is through the roof.  Every coach goes through it, even the Veterans but especially new Head Coaches.  I'm sure Harbaugh had some questionable moments too but I doubt you watched/remembered every game he coached as a rookie, no offense.

The issue with hiring a Defensive Coordinator into the Head Coaching job particularly, is that all the decisions in game are on offense.  So the learning curve is much more steep for former Defensive coaches. Hence why all the questionable decision making that we're debating happened on offense.  He doesnt know that side of the ball and apparently doesnt pay too much attention to it.  Fitzpatrick said they dont even talk throughout the week and Bowles doesnt attend offensive meetings at all.  He just goes over the game plan with Gailey and that's it.  So he's probably not learning about that side right now either, making the job even more challenging! 

You just have to hope he learns from his mistakes. 

Harbaugh was a HC in the college ranks for 6 years so it had to be easier for him..

If there is one thing I notice about rookie head coaches is most of them lose their aggression and guts.  Especially late in the game with a lead.

Enter the prevent defense a teams D played great all game and then they change up and go to the prevent D and lose the game. It does help prevent one thing winning..

If there is one thing I notice about rookie head coaches is most of them lose their aggression and guts.  Especially late in the game with a lead.

There is less backlash when you take don't take chances vs when you do and they fail, see this thread for example. I have no real issue with Bowles approach to this game, the plays were there to be made. he was going for the win and that giant pussy rex went into a shell and almost blew the game.

I think he was referring John not Jim.

nope I was referring to JIM I agree with  what you're saying JIF but when it comes to the more basic decisions, not the over all coaching, I think there should be no excuse. They have headsets on for a reason and I think they should be getting every scenario possible through those sets.

There is less backlash when you take don't take chances vs when you do and they fail, see this thread for example. I have no real issue with Bowles approach to this game, the plays were there to be made. he was going for the win and that giant pussy rex went into a shell and almost blew the game.

The calls are fine the game management other than that are not fine but yeah its certainly better than Rex

nope I was referring to JIM I agree with  what you're saying JIF but when it comes to the more basic decisions, not the over all coaching, I think there should be no excuse. They have headsets on for a reason and I think they should be getting every scenario possible through those sets.

Oh ok my bad..:)

Haha - you were right...and Smash, Jim had the experience, like Savage said.

To your point above those Smash, they only have 45 seconds to make a decision unless they use timeouts.  If everyone is chiming in, that could get confusing.  He needs to be the one making those decisions, the only voice and not looking for advice from the 10 people on the headsets.

Again, I think its a much tougher learning curve for a Defensive Head Coach.  All the tough calls are on offense...so stuff that may seem basic, is new and different and he's never been through it before. 

To your point above those Smash, they only have 45 seconds to make a decision unless they use timeouts.  If everyone is chiming in, that could get confusing.  He needs to be the one making those decisions, the only voice and not looking for advice from the 10 people on the headsets.

Again, I think its a much tougher learning curve for a Defensive Head Coach.  All the tough calls are on offense...so stuff that may seem basic, is new and different and he's never been through it before. 

That may be true but Chip Kelly was a college offensive HC and he has done some bone head stuff with the Eagles..

thought Bowles had half a season with the Fins .. Also I thought we have seen college coaches get the same pass as being rookie HC. Either way I understand the pressure Im not so sure people are screaming through the head sets im thinking they have a clock management guy who may also run the numbers on 2 point conversions so the coach can keep his head in the game , I could be wrong Im sure very team has a different way of handling certain situations

I think there is an excuse for time management lapses with rookie head coaches. It's not really something they've ever been in charge of before. And it's an area of great criticism from the press and fans. I remember when Herm was here we killed him about it. And of course Rex Ryan. The key thing is: does it work. If it doesn't the guy's incompetency (or what's perceived as that) is exposed. I mean Coughlin didn't exactly give a clinic on time management in allowing Brady enough time to beat him yesterday and he's an experienced HC. I don't think that Bowles has been clueless. 

thought Bowles had half a season with the Fins .. Also I thought we have seen college coaches get the same pass as being rookie HC. Either way I understand the pressure Im not so sure people are screaming through the head sets im thinking they have a clock management guy who may also run the numbers on 2 point conversions so the coach can keep his head in the game , I could be wrong Im sure very team has a different way of handling certain situations

Keep forgetting he's had a few games under his belt as a HC.

so, fire him?  ;) 

Yes but that was the year after the strike season when the team won 4 games plus he went with Brunner over Simms who had 9 tds and 22 picks.. Even BB went 5-11 till the Jets helped Brady be the starter..:)

Well picking the right QB or staying with him too long is part of coaching.  Parcells by his own admission admits he did a shltty job, didn't coach anything like the Parcells we know.  He made a conscious effort to do things his way.  If he was getting fired it would be for coaching the way he thought he should coach a team.  

Point is give Bowles more time.  Never mind complaining about the right moves he made but Monday morning QBs can't leave alone

Keep forgetting he's had a few games under his belt as a HC.

so, fire him?  ;) 

no not at all just saying from all the hype we heard early on I didn't expect the defense to completely fold and some questionable decisions cost us games. Also when it comes to personnel how long did we have to trot Cromartie out there to totally suck ? Miles showed promise then he disappeared now hes back once again showing a hell of a lot of promise what the hell are these guys evaluating ? Bobby April holy Christ bobby ******* April .... Amazingly the only real surprise this season thus far has been Fitz and how hilarious it is to finally get a QB who can actually play the game and still lose because we all of a sudden suck at every other phase of the game. Legitimate concerns but not enough to bail on Bowles I hope he can light a fire under this team because that's another issue with this team coming out flat on more than 1 occasion.

Parcell's would have made the playoffs in both 1997 and 1999 but he made some dumb play calls against the Lions in 97 and went 1-6 in 99 before finally putting Ray Lucas in at QB..

The interception thrown by Leon Johnson was bad, but the CB stepped out of bounds on the play. Only got one foot down but it was called a pick just the same. Still, I agree that was a bad call. 

The interception thrown by Leon Johnson was bad, but the CB stepped out of bounds on the play. Only got one foot down but it was called a pick just the same. Still, I agree that was a bad call. 

seriously guys did parcells make those calls or Did Charlie Weiss make them ? Charlie and Parcells used to butt heads a lot so where to lay this blame is questionable at best. Sure a HC can direct an OC in how he wants to proceed but he does not call the plays at least on the case of those 2 Weiss was calling the plays

no not at all just saying from all the hype we heard early on I didn't expect the defense to completely fold and some questionable decisions cost us games. Also when it comes to personnel how long did we have to trot Cromartie out there to totally suck ? Miles showed promise then he disappeared now hes back once again showing a hell of a lot of promise what the hell are these guys evaluating ? Bobby April holy Christ bobby ******* April .... Amazingly the only real surprise this season thus far has been Fitz and how hilarious it is to finally get a QB who can actually play the game and still lose because we all of a sudden suck at every other phase of the game. Legitimate concerns but not enough to bail on Bowles I hope he can light a fire under this team because that's another issue with this team coming out flat on more than 1 occasion.

I'm right there with you.  I like Bowles.  I love his demeanor and his approach.  But yeah, I'm scratching my head on some of his decision making both in game and personnel wise, not just players but his coaches too. 

You just have to hope he works some of this stuff out.  I dont think all coaches are created equal.  They're all different and bring certain qualities to the team. 

I think we were definitely sold something a little different than what we're seeing but definitely not ready to give up on him yet.  No where close to that at all. 

I'm right there with you.  I like Bowles.  I love his demeanor and his approach.  But yeah, I'm scratching my head on some of his decision making both in game and personnel wise, not just players but his coaches too. 

You just have to hope he works some of this stuff out.  I dont think all coaches are created equal.  They're all different and bring certain qualities to the team. 

I think we were definitely sold something a little different than what we're seeing but definitely not ready to give up on him yet.  No where close to that at all. 

Not sure whats going on with the Quotes LOL but yeah JIF I hope he comes out of this . I wonder how much power he has given to Rodgers to call the defense since no one seems to be pointing at him or trying to figure out WTF hes doing with the best press corners in the league playing 10 yards off WR's .

Archived