The balance between tanking and competing

UnitedWhofans

A lot of Jets fans seem to believe that the worst record the Jets can have is 8-8 because they dont make the playoffs and get a lower draft pick.

But usually a team is eliminated from the playoffs, mathematically, late in the season, so there is very little time to try and tank wins to get a higher draft pick. 

It's kind of like a Catch 22. You need wins to win the Super Bowl but wins get you a lower draft pick. At what point should you ditch the playoff dream and hope for losses, if at any time.

People complained that the Jets beat the Browns and Dolphins last year late.

How good would Amari Cooper look in a Jet uniform? If that came to be our 2nd round pick would not be Devin (charmin) Smith. They probably would have taken Ronald Darby, with Cro old & on a one year deal & Milliner and McDougle coming back from serious injuries.

Cooper & Darby or Williams & Smith? You make the call.

Getting wins late for no reason is annoying but I like us to always try to compete. I'd rather they try to compete playing the younger guys that need live reps though. Not the Bs rex was pulling late in the season. 

This always makes me laugh. Why do any of you think he should have done anything different?  He knew he was going to get fired at the end of the season, Idziot sabotaged his season,  and he was auditioning for another HC gig. Why would he do anything in the Jets  best interests while detrimental to his own at that point? If you were in Rex shoes and about to get fired would you do anything different? 

This always makes me laugh. Why do any of you think he should have done anything different?  He knew he was going to get fired at the end of the season, Idziot sabotaged his season,  and he was auditioning for another HC gig. Why would he do anything in the Jets  best interests while detrimental to his own at that point? If you were in Rex shoes and about to get fired would you do anything different? 

That's why the owner needs to get involved at that point, yes, I agree why would a Rex do anything in the interest of the Jets. Woody should have put the mandate in to get the young players he might need to count on in 2015 to get most of the reps, especially over players that would not even be here in 2015. Woody is a boob!

This offseason was a perfect storm, the team was awful the last few years and Idzik left a ton of money on the table salary cap wise.  Mac was hired with the plan to field a competitive team, spend money and make the fans happy.  That's why Revis and Cro were back, I'm not sure if you gave Mac, Woody and Bowles truth serum they would say they really expect a Super Bowl this year.  The team was a mess last year, to me the plan was to build a competitive, exciting team through free agency this year while building through the draft with young talent.  Mac's been great but his job so far has been easy with all the money left to spend.  Going forward is when we really see what kind of GM we have through a few more drafts and free agencies. Can he and Bowles build a SUSTAINABLE, COMPETITIVE TEAM year after year?  That's what I'm looking forward to.

WTF ?

the team is 5-4

holy sh*t

Seriously, this is the guy that started the twatty "I don't like this game" thread on game day, then chastised everyone who got upset at the game, and now this... I'd be cool with it, if it were intentional trolling, but it's not. 

Here is the problem. The Jets are trying to rebuild with a younger core, but they had money they had to spend, and fans would not accept rebuilding. 

This is why it looks the Jets are in "win now" mode. Because fans wont accept the alternative. Yankees fans are exactly the same way.

Rebuilding is a farce. It doesn't really exist.

A season is deemed a "rebuild" when the reality sets in that the team is not competitive. It's called marketing. The term rebuild evokes the idea of "a step towards what we hope for". 

No team comes into a season saying, "we're going to lose a sh*tload of games, but it'll make the rebuild better". No team starts off with a 4-1 and thinks "we're not sure what to do with these wins, all we're trying to do here is rebuild, we weren't supposed to win now". 

The entire "rebuilding" narrative is for suckers. Trying to convince yourself otherwise is exactly why it's a brilliant campaign, because admitting that rebuilding is not methodical and intentional but rather a reaction to poor results, confronts the base instinct of any fan: hopefulness.

A season is deemed a "rebuild" when the reality sets in that the team is not competitive. It's called marketing. The term rebuild evokes the idea of "a step towards what we hope for". 

No team comes into a season saying, "we're going to lose a sh*tload of games, but it'll make the rebuild better". No team starts off with a 4-1 and thinks "we're not sure what to do with these wins, all we're trying to do here is rebuild, we weren't supposed to win now". 

The entire "rebuilding" narrative is for suckers. Trying to convince yourself otherwise is exactly why it's a brilliant campaign, because admitting that rebuilding is not methodical and intentional but rather a reaction to poor results, confronts the base instinct of any fan: hopefulness.

Teams no but some Jet fans do..:ph34r:

This offseason was a perfect storm, the team was awful the last few years and Idzik left a ton of money on the table salary cap wise.  Mac was hired with the plan to field a competitive team, spend money and make the fans happy.  That's why Revis and Cro were back, I'm not sure if you gave Mac, Woody and Bowles truth serum they would say they really expect a Super Bowl this year.  The team was a mess last year, to me the plan was to build a competitive, exciting team through free agency this year while building through the draft with young talent.  Mac's been great but his job so far has been easy with all the money left to spend.  Going forward is when we really see what kind of GM we have through a few more drafts and free agencies. Can he and Bowles build a SUSTAINABLE, COMPETITIVE TEAM year after year?  That's what I'm looking forward to.

I think the highlighted words are exactly right.  

There was money to spend, and the goal was to field a competitive team.  I take the Cro signing back, and insist that someone gets tried out for G.  The G move basically happened, but with cutting Abooshi to keep Colon, who is probably done.  They available money should have been spent on second contracts for players who can help for 3-4 years, not final contracts.   Even the Revis contract was somewhat inconsistent with a long-term build, but let's see how long he can stick around.

I look to baseball. The Kansas City Royals. a team that was rebuilding for a decade won the World Series.

Name me any team that went from worst to first in football. That is what rebuilding is.

The expectations for this Jets team was 7-9 wins by most people.

I agree the rebuild mantra is for suckers..Teams rebuild every year because players get older or hurt or just stink..

it makes perfect sense if you're out of it well before the trade deadline... teams like SF and the bears have no incentive to keep veteran depth, so acquire as many additional picks as possible while securing a top spot in the draft. teams that languish in mediocrity have a harder time improving in the short term

I look to baseball. The Kansas City Royals. a team that was rebuilding for a decade won the World Series.

Name me any team that went from worst to first in football. That is what rebuilding is.

The expectations for this Jets team was 7-9 wins by most people.

it takes much longer to rebuild in baseball, in the NFL teams with top draft picks can turn things around very quickly... KC, indy, carolina, all went from awful to decent very quickly, as did philly, oakland, minnesota, st louis, cincinatti, atlanta, and you can see young teams that are maybe a year away still but on the right track TB, jax, tenessee. teams that consistently finish in the middle of the pack tend to stay bad for longer than teams at the bottom

That's why the owner needs to get involved at that point, yes, I agree why would a Rex do anything in the interest of the Jets. Woody should have put the mandate in to get the young players he might need to count on in 2015 to get most of the reps, especially over players that would not even be here in 2015. Woody is a boob!

Woody is clueless and needs to stay out of football decisions. What suprised me is that Idziot didn't madate this. He had to know that his job was in jeopardy, so why not see what his young talent can do to try and save his job. Then again he probably realized what a crap job he did and gave up

it takes much longer to rebuild in baseball, in the NFL teams with top draft picks can turn things around very quickly... KC, indy, carolina, all went from awful to decent very quickly, as did philly, oakland, minnesota, st louis, cincinatti, atlanta, and you can see young teams that are maybe a year away still but on the right track TB, jax, tenessee. teams that consistently finish in the middle of the pack tend to stay bad for longer than teams at the bottom

Well the Jets were at the bottom last year.

Archived