Patience, Perseverance paying off for Miles

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   When Rontez Miles heard his name called as he came charging out of the tunnel for the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium this Thursday, as the team’s starting safety, it marked the end of a remarkable journey from college prospect to NFL starter.  Yes, Miles’ start was due to several injuries […]

Click here to read the full story...

Anyone who watched the preseason could see Miles could play, I dont care who he was playing.  He was out playing Pryor.  Why it took injuries and experiments to finally put him in the game is beyond me.  He should have been the first person dialed up when Pryor went down.  Instead, this coaching staff/GM went to the streets and a CB, which was a disaster. 

This coaching's staff decisions on personnel are mind-boggling stupid. 

EDIT: PS - good for Miles.  Great story.

Anyone who watched the preseason could see Miles could play, I dont care who he was playing.  He was out playing Pryor.  Why it took injuries and experiments to finally put him in the game is beyond me.  He should have been the first person dialed up when Pryor went down.  Instead, this coaching staff/GM went to the streets and a CB, which was a disaster. 

This coaching's staff decisions on personnel are mind-boggling stupid. 

EDIT: PS - good for Miles.  Great story.

I agree Jif...I'm rooting for Bowles but some of the personnel stuff has been curious to say the least ...the Kerley stuff has a Pete Kendell feel to it

I agree Jif...I'm rooting for Bowles but some of the personnel stuff has been curious to say the least ...the Kerley stuff has a Pete Kendell feel to it

Me too.  I hope the early signs of incompetence fade away.  Trust me, I do.  I love his demeanor and approach.  I think its right for this team.  Besides, the turnstile of coaches with this team is sickening.  I'd love to have our guy for the next 20 years.

He's a rookie.  He's never had to make these decisions and in game, their split second decisions.  I can get over that and hope he improves.  Even the Vet. HC's still make those mistakes (looks over at Tom Coughlin).  

The use of the roster though.  There's no excuse for ******* that up over and over again. 

I may be remember things wrong, but I think Kerley had to re-climb the ranks last year coming out of the pre-season under Rex. I want to recall him being in the doghouse to start the year. So, in his case, I want to suggest it's not exclusive to Bowles.

As for the safety position. I dunno... maybe he was just more familiar with ex-Seahawks from being in the division with them last year? 

I may be remember things wrong, but I think Kerley had to re-climb the ranks last year coming out of the pre-season under Rex. I want to recall him being in the doghouse to start the year. So, in his case, I want to suggest it's not exclusive to Bowles.

As for the safety position. I dunno... maybe he was just more familiar with ex-Seahawks from being in the division with them last year? 

now that you mention that I remember something about Kerley last year too your right , maybe something about him behind the scenes that rubs coaches the wrong way...just seems by far he's the 3rd best WR on the team and is banished . As far as Miles hopefully we finally got lucky with one of these taxi squad guys ....he looked ferocious 

now that you mention that I remember something about Kerley last year too your right , maybe something about him behind the scenes that rubs coaches the wrong way...just seems by far he's the 3rd best WR on the team and is banished . As far as Miles hopefully we finally got lucky with one of these taxi squad guys ....he looked ferocious 

Good, I'm glad I'm not just imagining it.

And yea, Miles looked like he knew exactly what his job was, exactly what he'd seen on tape, and it made him a faster player... rare to see that from any Jets players. It's more a trait you associate with Steelers and Ravens defenders from a few years ago. Our defenses, for all the talent they've had the past 7 years, always look like they are reading more than reacting. 

Well, I would have liked the guy a great deal until he did the Kyle wilson finger wag on the very 1st play he made in the leauge essentially.  He's a jag hanger on that tries hard and will either be exposed and benched or back to the P-roster when people get healthy.  People went all goo goo over Antonino Allen at cb last year after his 1st game as well.

Well, I would have liked the guy a great deal until he did the Kyle wilson finger wag on the very 1st play he made in the leauge essentially.  He's a jag hanger on that tries hard and will either be exposed and benched or back to the P-roster when people get healthy.  People went all goo goo over Antonino Allen at cb last year after his 1st game as well.

history says you'll be right , but aren't we due to get lucky on one of these undrafted guys ? Other than Chrebet in the last 20 years we've hit on zero...unless you count mike devito maybe ? I'm sure I missed someone but you get my point .

And yea, Miles looked like he knew exactly what his job was, exactly what he'd seen on tape, and it made him a faster player... rare to see that from any Jets players. It's more a trait you associate with Steelers and Ravens defenders from a few years ago. Our defenses, for all the talent they've had the past 7 years, always look like they are reading more than reacting. 

Not only did Miles look like he belonged, he looked like he was having fun playing football and it wasn't just a paycheck.   the kid looked like he was having the time of his life on the field and I hope he keeps it up.   

I don't recall much going on with Kerley other than one comment from Rex about the work he was putting in.  He was still playing extensively from week one but it's not as if they had many other options.

If there was an issue of any significance, I'd be surprised that they gave him a contract a couple months later.

If he keeps playing, teams will scheme against him.  Hey, I hope he does well and keeps up the performance I'm just dubious, seen these type of players too often.

That's what'll be interesting.  Buffalo was a good matchup for him.  If they play a team with a strong passing attack, he will be tested early and often and his scouting report doesn't bode well for that type of role if he is in fact asked to cover very often.

I think it was simply, he was a little out of shape.

Either way, it couldnt have been too bad.  They gave him an extension last season.

That's what'll be interesting.  Buffalo was a good matchup for him.  If they play a team with a strong passing attack, he will be tested early and often and his scouting report doesn't bode well for that type of role if he is in fact asked to cover very often.

Yeah but isnt that Gilchrest's role?  Miles was playing the role on Pryor on Thursday and dude was playing like his hair (bald head) was on fire.

Yeah but isnt that Gilchrest's role?  Miles was playing the role on Pryor on Thursday and dude was playing like his hair (bald head) was on fire.

Yup, but I was referring to OC's splitting TEs and RBs out wide to force him in to coverage.  I think they want find a way to make him show if he can cover or not.

Yup, but I was referring to OC's splitting TEs and RBs out wide to force him in to coverage.  I think they want find a way to make him show if he can cover or not.

True though it seems like Bowles relies on the LBers to cover the RBs. 

And he also claims that he does not let teams dictate what they do. So, who knows. 

Miles is perfect to play in that Big Nickle Bowles is known for but can't implement because of injuries. 

Just curious, if Miles is perfect it for it, then what injury is preventing him from implementing it?  And why hasnt he been on the active roster? 

history says you'll be right , but aren't we due to get lucky on one of these undrafted guys ? Other than Chrebet in the last 20 years we've hit on zero...unless you count mike devito maybe ? I'm sure I missed someone but you get my point .

Brandon Moore 

Just curious, if Miles is perfect it for it, then what injury is preventing him from implementing it?  And why hasnt he been on the active roster? 

Possibly that week's game plan didn't require a large enough role for the "big nickel" to necessitate his activation. I dunno, but he has certainly earned more snaps, it just is going to have to come at someone's expense. That probably will be Williams or Davis, as there's no way Revis, Gilchrist, Pryor or Skrine is being taken off the field unless due to injury. 

I think you guys are overrating the game that Miles had.  He is limited in coverage and missed some angles.  The kind of things you guys killed Pryor for all last year.  He had some obvious gaffes against the Jags and he wasn't even out there much, and he has been in this D as long as anybody except Cromartie.  He probably is a good match for the Big Nickel, but so were a bunch of our other safeties.  I've liked Miles as much as anybody.  You can go back to when they signed him, but I think he is a little stiff which is why they preferred Bailey.  I had hoped Miles would excel on specials enough that they'd keep him around, but they were giving Ronald Martin (and later Bailey) reps there right after he signed. 

I think you guys are overrating the game that Miles had.  He is limited in coverage and missed some angles.  The kind of things you guys killed Pryor for all last year.  He had some obvious gaffes against the Jags and he wasn't even out there much, and he has been in this D as long as anybody except Cromartie.  He probably is a good match for the Big Nickel, but so were a bunch of our other safeties.  I've liked Miles as much as anybody.  You can go back to when they signed him, but I think he is a little stiff which is why they preferred Bailey.  I had hoped Miles would excel on specials enough that they'd keep him around, but they were giving Ronald Martin (and later Bailey) reps there right after he signed. 

Agreed. He will be suitable in certain roles, but exposed if out there for too many snaps. Like Williams was when he was asked to be in run support more than coverage.

Antonio Allen was the player that I was most excited for in this role as he could do most things Miles can in the run game, but with the requisite coverage skills that Miles lacks. 

I think you're underrating it, especially considering what we saw the couple of weeks before he got his run.

He was all over the place, disrupting plays.  Not sure what else you want from a guy who was brought up off the PS due to injury.  He filled in very well.  Much better than anyone else so far, IMO.

I think you're underrating it, especially considering what we saw the couple of weeks before he got his run.

He was all over the place, disrupting plays.  Not sure what else you want from a guy who was brought up off the PS due to injury.  He filled in very well.  Much better than anyone else so far, IMO.

He was one of the guys sucking the week before.  I love Miles.  As a practice squad guy that can add some value and I agree that he is all over the place and disrupts plays.  To me he also looked very limited in coverage and I'm not so sure he is always following his assignment.  I am discussing him as what he will be going forward and to me, Bailey has looked the more complete player - though he is evidently quite injury prone.  Miles shows some nice things, but I can see why he was behind Allen and Jarrett.  I'm a little perplexed on why he was behind Martin, but otherwise I don't see anything puzzling about how he was used.  I'm sure they'd rather have him at safety than Williams, but they had other injury problems and were going to run thin someplace that week.. 

He was one of the guys sucking the week before.  I love Miles.  As a practice squad guy that can add some value and I agree that he is all over the place and disrupts plays.  To me he also looked very limited in coverage and I'm not so sure he is always following his assignment.  I am discussing him as what he will be going forward and to me, Bailey has looked the more complete player - though he is evidently quite injury prone.  Miles shows some nice things, but I can see why he was behind Allen and Jarrett.  I'm a little perplexed on why he was behind Martin, but otherwise I don't see anything puzzling about how he was used.  I'm sure they'd rather have him at safety than Williams, but they had other injury problems and were going to run thin someplace that week.. 

Fair.  Cant argue with much of this.  But I agree, I dont see how Martin got run before him and I dont see why they experimented with Williams before him.  Back to my intial point in the thread, the kid looked good preseason and has been here all along, meaning more time in the system.  It confuses me why the skipped him basically 3 different times. 

However, its a little hard for me to completely agree when the Jets gave up like 900 yards in the air over the 3 week period that those other guys were getting run.

Fair.  Cant argue with much of this.  But I agree, I dont see how Martin got run before him and I dont see why they experimented with Williams before him.  Back to my intial point in the thread, the kid looked good preseason and has been here all along, meaning more time in the system.  It confuses me why the skipped him basically 3 different times. 

However, its a little hard for me to completely agree when the Jets gave up like 900 yards in the air over the 3 week period that those other guys were getting run.

I think there are some simple reasons. 

• Miles played against the Jaguars and was a part of those 1,000 yards passing given up in 3 weeks.  
  • They have had some roster issues.  Mangold was hurt which meant they had to call up Johnson.  Colon was already in sketchy shape, so they didn't want to monkey with any of the guards.  Ivory and Powell were both hurt, so they had to bring Ridley back.  It wasn't going to be easy to squeeze another safety on the roster.  I think that is why they went with Williams at safety. Truth be told, the game that Williams plays should be suited to safety, but it did not work out. In order to bring Miles up they ended up cutting the 5th rounder Harrison.  By putting Colon on the IR they have more room to keep him around. 
  • They probably had Bailey and Martin on their list as good UDFA prospects and/or liked them after watching them in camp with the Seahawks.  They were both signed off waivers and there may be some necessity to carry guys for a certain number of weeks to do that - I know there is for practice squad players.  More importantly, they may have just wanted to evaluate them or looked upon them as special teams upgrades. From what I have seen, I would slot Miles ahead of Martin but behind Bailey. Based on how they were called up, that seems to be how the team sees them.

Archived