Looking into Jets' crystal ball ... and seeing Rex Ryan standing in the way ~ ~ ~

kelly

Despite three losses in the last four games, the New York Jets remain in the thick of the wild-card chase in the AFC. It'll probably take 10 wins to claim one of the two spots, so the Jets would have to finish with a 5-2 mark. It'll be difficult, but not impossible. Sunday's game at the Houston Texans is close to a must-win.

"We’re not even thinking playoffs right now," Todd Bowles said. "It’s a long season. We’re 5-4. We’re in the middle of the pack with everybody else. We have a chance to win our ballgames and we’ll look up at the end and see where we are."We in the media don't have to take them one at a time, thank goodness, so here's a sneak preview of what's ahead for the Jets and their main competitors in the wild-card race, the Pittsburgh Steelers (6-4) and Buffalo Bills (5-4). Right now, it's a three-team race for two spots.

On paper, the Jets have a slight advantage in terms of strength of schedule -- with an emphasis on "slight." It's really close.The combined record of the Jets' remaining opponents is 30-33. The Bills' opponents are 31-31 and the Steelers' are 26-26, not including the Seattle Seahawks' result on Sunday night.Each team still has to play one undefeated opponent. The Jets and Bills have the New England Patriots, the Steelers have the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Jets have four home games, the Bills have three and the Steelers two.

The Jets have the toughest finish -- the Patriots and Bills. The Steelers finish with a pair of two-win teams, the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns. The Bills have the two-win Dallas Cowboys, followed by Rex Bowl II -- the Jets-Bills rematch in the regular-season finale.You know how this will end, don't you? It'll be the Jets at the Bills in a loser-goes-home game at Rex Ryan's new house.

Perfect.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/56163/looking-into-jets-crystal-ball-and-seeing-rex-ryan-standing-in-the-way

Bring it on. If you want to be a play-off team, you have to want to have these types of match ups and go in with the confidence to win them.

I agree that Pitt and Buffalo are two contenders in the race, but don't write out Oakland or KC yet ... KC could be a dark horse, with a fairly weak schedule remaining (four games vs. 2 win teams in their last 7).

Next 3 games are difficult.  When I say difficult, I'm not talking about playing a team like NE or dare I say Carolina on the road.  I mean difficult as in, a Houston team on the road, Miami who will be out for revenge and a Giant team that you have no idea how they will play.

We are not a great team so any game on the road is a challenge.  

Next 3 games are difficult.  When I say difficult, I'm not talking about playing a team like NE or dare I say Carolina on the road.  I mean difficult as in, a Houston team on the road, Miami who will be out for revenge and a Giant team that you have no idea how they will play.

We are not a great team so any game on the road is a challenge.  

Any game home or away is a challenge for this team right now. They need to have a dominate performance against Houston and get some confidence back

Let's get past this Houston game & get back home to take care of the Fins who for some odd reason we have an their number lately. We smoked them last year & the 1st game this year and I think we'll be better the 2nd time around. After that it's the revenge tour. Giants, Pats, and Bills are going down. 

I can't even imagine Fitzy getting the chance to go to Buffalo in a winner take all scenario. Rex gets his comeuppance after his expletive laced barrage after beating the Jets in NY. Pay backs are a BITCH! We should drop 34 on the Giants.

Let's get past this Houston game & get back home to take care of the Fins who for some odd reason we have an their number lately. We smoked them last year & the 1st game this year and I think we'll be better the 2nd time around. After that it's the revenge tour. Giants, Pats, and Bills are going down. 

I can't even imagine Fitzy getting the chance to go to Buffalo in a winner take all scenario. Rex gets his comeuppance after his expletive laced barrage after beating the Jets in NY. Pay backs are a BITCH! We should drop 34 on the Giants.

NE couldn't score 34 on NYG and we should?  NYG plays us like they played yesterday and they will easily beat us.

The 2015 Jets are greatly improved from 2014.  Although I would love to see them make the playoffs, its hard to see them moving past Oakland or Buffalo.

Oakland was clearly a better team than the Jets.  I think the Bills have a better roster, today, but are far worse coached.

It will really come down to luck, injuries, etc.  The Jets have been on the negative side of injuries-maybe they get healthy and lucky in the second half of the season.

The 2015 Jets are greatly improved from 2014.  Although I would love to see them make the playoffs, its hard to see them moving past Oakland or Buffalo.

Oakland was clearly a better team than the Jets.  I think the Bills have a better roster, today, but are far worse coached.

It will really come down to luck, injuries, etc.  The Jets have been on the negative side of injuries-maybe they get healthy and lucky in the second half of the season.

I think that sums it up fairly

Seriously? Oakland? Are they better this year? Yes, the Jets sleep walked through that game. Every team has a no show, especially if you travel west & lose your starting QB on the 1st offensive play. Jets just need to get more healthy & stack some wins. I say a rematch vs Bills in NY is anybodies game. Pressure will be on Rex & his team.

This year, the Giants have been blowing leads late. They better be ahead by a ton when we play them. Plus now with no Cruz, Beckham is their main weapon left

Cruz hasn't played all year.  They better be ahead by a ton- why? have we had any GW drives late in games?  I want that game more than any other, I hate the Giants more than any team and we haven't beaten them since 1993 but this notion that we are superior to them is false.  they are every bit as good as we are if not better.  that will not be an easy game to win.

Please go away, you have to be a troll. We'll see, we'll see soon enough. 

B/c I am trying to be realistic I am a troll?  Ok.  I guess we will win the next 7 games by an average of 21 pts- does this make you feel better?

Seriously? Oakland? Are they better this year? Yes, the Jets sleep walked through that game. Every team has a no show, especially if you travel west & lose your starting QB on the 1st offensive play. Jets just need to get more healthy & stack some wins. I say a rematch vs Bills in NY is anybodies game. Pressure will be on Rex & his team.

losing our QB made the D suck for an entire game?

losing our QB made the D suck for an entire game?

Were you completely confident heading into that game? If so why? We were playing on the road,on the west coast which is always difficult, our team was banged up, we lost our starting QB on the 1st play! Greenbay just lost to a 1-7 Lions team AT HOME yesterday, sh*t happens in this league. Jets are 3 plays from being 8-1. NFL football is a game of inches.

Were you completely confident heading into that game? If so why? We were playing on the road,on the west coast which is always difficult, our team was banged up, we lost our starting QB on the 1st play! Greenbay just lost to a 1-7 Lions team AT HOME yesterday, sh*t happens in this league. Jets are 3 plays from being 8-1. NFL football is a game of inches.

Did Minnesota just play in the same Stadium? how did they do?  I was confident we'd have a chance to win but I was wrong, I was confident we'd play good defense but I was wrong.

which 3 plays would those be?

Cruz hasn't played all year.  They better be ahead by a ton- why? have we had any GW drives late in games?  I want that game more than any other, I hate the Giants more than any team and we haven't beaten them since 1993 but this notion that we are superior to them is false.  they are every bit as good as we are if not better.  that will not be an easy game to win.

B/c I am trying to be realistic I am a troll?  Ok.  I guess we will win the next 7 games by an average of 21 pts- does this make you feel better?

Did I say we were superior to them? We are even with them. The Giants weakness this year is closing out close games. So they better be ahead by a ton in the 4th quarter or otherwise they are going to collapse.

Eli will be boom or bust vs us.  He is not afraid to put the ball out there deep and on back shoulder throws.  Our secondary better ready for that challenge.  But, lets focus on Houston first.  Hopkins is a pain in the ass with a mediocre QB play.  Lets hope Cincy bangs them up for us tonight.

Really? Adrian Peterson, Teddy Bridgewater, Cordarelle Patterson, Anthony Barr?

we don't have an AP but for much of this season Ivory as among the league leaders in rushing.  Patterson? his 2 recs this season impress you?  teddy is a  good, young QB.  Fitz has played as well as he has though.  they don't have a Brandon marshall or Eric Decker, they don't have a Revis or our front line.

Eli will be boom or bust vs us.  He is not afraid to put the ball out there deep and on back shoulder throws.  Our secondary better ready for that challenge.  But, lets focus on Houston first.  Hopkins is a pain in the ass with a mediocre QB play.  Lets hope Cincy bangs them up for us tonight.

Eli is boom or bust against most but w/ the way our secondary has been playing he'll go boom against us.

Houston on the road won't be a gimme either.  we need to start playing like we did prior to the 4th qtr of the NE game.  if we do we can beat all of these teams.

we don't have an AP but for much of this season Ivory as among the league leaders in rushing.  Patterson? his 2 recs this season impress you?  teddy is a  good, young QB.  Fitz has played as well as he has though.  they don't have a Brandon marshall or Eric Decker, they don't have a Revis or our front line.

Eli is boom or bust against most but w/ the way our secondary has been playing he'll go boom against us.

Houston on the road won't be a gimme either.  we need to start playing like we did prior to the 4th qtr of the NE game.  if we do we can beat all of these teams.

AS a returner, something the Jets clearly don't have, Patterson is one of the best.

Ivory had a good stretch, but he's not Adrian Peterson.

Why are you crushing our secondary. They played very well on Thursday.

AS a returner, something the Jets clearly don't have, Patterson is one of the best.

Ivory had a good stretch, but he's not Adrian Peterson.

Why are you crushing our secondary. They played very well on Thursday.

our STs do suck.

obviously ivory isn't Peterson but he's damn good and they don't have a Marshall or decker on O.

our secondary has been awful the last month.

our STs do suck.

obviously ivory isn't Peterson but he's damn good and they don't have a Marshall or decker on O.

our secondary has been awful the last month.

The previous three games, maybe, but they were good against Buffalo. And Jacksonville went into Baltimore and beat them up. IMO the Jets have not lost to a team this year that they were head over heels better than. Maybe Philly but Philly has good skill players that gave the Jets problems. And they might be in first place next week.

The previous three games, maybe, but they were good against Buffalo. And Jacksonville went into Baltimore and beat them up. IMO the Jets have not lost to a team this year that they were head over heels better than. Maybe Philly but Philly has good skill players that gave the Jets problems. And they might be in first place next week.

they were better against Buffalo.

Baltimore stinks.

we should have easily beaten Philly.

Should fans be writing off the season now that the Jets have lost three of four? (No.) Are there reasons to be concerned because of injuries, and because the defense has regressed? (Yes.) Is there any reason at all to be optimistic? (Yes.)

When the Jets had a bye way back in Week 5, they were 4-1, but there were reasons to be wary. There are still seven games to play. And at 5-4, the Jets are still one of just three non-division leaders in the AFC with a winning record.

Things can still go to pot—and there's certainly a sizable segment of Jets fans who are convinced things will always eventually go to pot—but let's take a look at the bright side for a moment, OK   ?

Time to rest. Was it really just four weeks ago that ESPN ranked the Jets as tied for the NFL's healthiest team? Because they've been crushed by injuries ever since, with right guard Willie Colon (knee), wide receiver Chris Owusu (concussion), safety Jaiquawn Jarrett (knee), running back Zac Stacy (ankle), and kicker Nick Folk (quad) all landing on season-ending injured reserve; strong safety Calvin Pryor missing three games (high ankle sprain); cornerback Antonio Cromartie (thigh bruise) having to sit because of injury for the first time in his career; and center Nick Mangold (neck) missing all of one game and most of another because he was hurt. And all that was in addition to injuries that have affected quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (left thumb), running back Chris Ivory (hamstring), cornerback Buster Skrine (shoulder/hand), and wideouts Eric Decker (shoulder/knee), and Brandon Marshall (ankle/toe), plus a new one for defensive end Sheldon Richardson (hamstring). The good news? The Jets will have had 10 days to rest up before they play their next game Sunday at the Texans. They needed this midseason mini-break.

Calvin Pryor is back. Pryor's presence as a roaming tackler has been missing the last three weeks for the defense, but he expects to play in Houston. This is no small thing: Without him, the Jets missed (at least) 19 tackles in their loss at the Raiders, and in the last two games, their defense has given up 246 rushing yards.

Favorable schedule. The Jets don't play another team with a winning record until Weeks 16 and 17. The remaining docket: at Texans (4-5), Dolphins (4-5), at Giants (5-5), Titans (2-7), at Cowboys (2-7), Patriots (9-0), at Bills (5-4). This is important for obvious reasons, but also because of this: The combined records of the five teams the Jets have beaten is 17-29. The records of the four teams to have beaten them in 22-14.

Chris Ivory. Overlooked from last week's loss to the Bills was that Ivory, the Jets' running back, got things going again. After rushing for 84 yards total for three straight games, Ivory piled up 99 yards (on 18 carries) against the Bills, including 76 yards after halftime, when quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick finally got in gear, too. Teams have been able to Marshall on the outside and to stack the box to contain Ivory. That Ivory was able to get free bodes well for the Jets going forward. It's a sign he still has plenty left, and when he's right, it opens things up for the rest of the offense.

Opportunistic defense. The Jets have forced 19 turnovers this season, fourth-best in the NFL. But 18 of those takeaways have come in the five games they've won, and none have come during the Jets' three losses in the last four weeks, when the defense has been banged up. Now, though, the Jets are getting Pryor back, Cromartie is "doing a lot better than he was last week," according to head coach Todd Bowles, and Skrine is getting this extra time to heal. Cromartie has been far from perfect, but he's still the Jets' best option as a No. 2 corner. Bottom line: the defense could be churning on all cylinders come Sunday for the first time in a month.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/5_reasons_for_jets_fans_to_be_optimistic_with_7_ga.html#incart_river_index

Archived