So you want to fire your GM and HC

Tinstar

Be careful what you ask for, because the HC you don't fire before he gets a rear chance maybe the HC that leads you team to the type of season you want but would never expect.  As I look around the league and see an undefeated Carolina Panthers team and an undefeated Bengals team, I can't help but wonder how the 2 HCs of both teams would have been run out of town long ago had they been subject to the scrutiny of the fan base and media of  the NYJets. 

I can remember reading how Marvin Lewis sucks as a HC despite changing the culture of a down trodden franchise by treating men like men while holding them accountable. I can remember reading how Ron Rivera was on the hot seat the yr after his team had their 1st winning season and fell flat the following season.

Look at both teams and both coaches today because their owners stuck with the coaches who had shown the leadership a franchise needed while growing into the HC that gets his team to perform at a consistent high level.I find it amazing that the top 3 undefeated teams have HCs that have been with the franchises for longer than the average HC is allowed to implement his vision.

I think people are mistakenly taking being critical of this new regime as we all want them fired.  I havent actually seen anyone say that and I'm somewhat confident nobody is at that extreme.  But then again, this is Jets fans we're talking about so who knows.  That said, I'm pretty confident we all just want to see a little better decision making; from the game, to the personnel.  And nobody is saying fire them all at 5-4 heading into Week 11 in the midst of a playoff hunt.

And that's fair.  We invest a lot of time into this team and we've suffered through some embarassing sh*t. Nothing wrong with being critical and voicing your opinion. It's why message boards exist. Because in the case of the Jets, they certainly arent getting traffic to collectively celebrate all the amazing accomplishment the franchise has achieved since the birth of the internet.

How do you know when you have a coach or GM that will lead you to the promised land one day and one that won't and is just wasting away years?  How long do you give them?   Cowher had 14 years before he won a super bowl despite having SB calibre teams before that.  Was Rex Ryan worth keeping on for another 5 or 6 years despite showing no real growth as a HC?  Would Belichick have won anything in Cleveland without wonder boy Tommy?  Marty Schottenheimer, the ultimate in a build a team so far and then fail coaches.

The ideal situation is to have the stability you talk about Tinstar but like with QB's at times you have to give it a shot for 3 or 4 years then move on.

The very best coaches and GMs?  The ones that can work with existing talent and systems and get enough results early on be given that extension.  Unfortunately half the gms and coaches all want to totally turn over the roster to fit their styles and get canned after 3 or 4 years, then the next guy does the same.

The ideal situation is to have the stability you talk about Tinstar but like with QB's at times you have to give it a shot for 3 or 4 years then move on.

3-4 years?  That's considered a lengthy career for a GM/HC/QB in the NFL.  We've seen owners get tired of their regimes within 2.  We just think that's a normal period of time because we stupidly gave Mark Sanchez 4 years (PLUS another training camp/preseason!) and Rex 6.  That isn't the norm, at all.  Both should have been gone after the 2011 season.

How do you know when you have a coach or GM that will lead you to the promised land one day and one that won't and is just wasting away years?  How long do you give them?   Cowher had 14 years before he won a super bowl despite having SB calibre teams before that.  Was Rex Ryan worth keeping on for another 5 or 6 years despite showing no real growth as a HC?  Would Belichick have won anything in Cleveland without wonder boy Tommy?  Marty Schottenheimer, the ultimate in a build a team so far and then fail coaches.

The very best coaches and GMs?  The ones that can work with existing talent and systems and get enough results early on be given that extension.  Unfortunately half the gms and coaches all want to totally turn over the roster to fit their styles and get canned after 3 or 4 years, then the next guy does the same.

And it doesn't hurt that Cowher was introduced to Big Ben and Bellicheck to Brady.

And it doesn't hurt that Cowher was introduced to Big Ben and Bellicheck to Brady.

Get a good Qb and you become a much better coach.  The Gm and coach do have to be smart enough to know a good one from bad, both Bely and Cowher were lucky to get guys that almost immediately had great success.

Get a good Qb and you become a much better coach.  The Gm and coach do have to be smart enough to know a good one from bad, both Bely and Cowher were lucky to get guys that almost immediately had great success.

Marvin Lewis has had Pro Bowl QB's Palmer and Dalton and still hasn't won a playoff game in 13 years but maybe this year he will..:)

Be careful what you ask for, because the HC you don't fire before he gets a rear chance maybe the HC that leads you team to the type of season you want but would never expect.  As I look around the league and see an undefeated Carolina Panthers team and an undefeated Bengals team, I can't help but wonder how the 2 HCs of both teams would have been run out of town long ago had they been subject to the scrutiny of the fan base and media of  the NYJets. 

I can remember reading how Marvin Lewis sucks as a HC despite changing the culture of a down trodden franchise by treating men like men while holding them accountable. I can remember reading how Ron Rivera was on the hot seat the yr after his team had their 1st winning season and fell flat the following season.

Look at both teams and both coaches today because their owners stuck with the coaches who had shown the leadership a franchise needed while growing into the HC that gets his team to perform at a consistent high level.I find it amazing that the top 3 undefeated teams have HCs that have been with the franchises for longer than the average HC is allowed to implement his vision.

jet fan #1 - " ryan Fitzpatrick had a rough game last night. I sure hope he doesn't play like that next week"

jet fan #2 - " dude, you're stupid"

jet fan #1 - "why am I stupid ?"

jet fan #2 - " you don't cut your starting quarterback because he had a bad game"

jet fan #1 ="huh??"

I don't think as many people are saying "fire Bowles and Maccagnan" as OP thinks.

Most of us are adults and understand it's year 1.  It's ok to think Bowles screwed up last game and still think he can be ok in the long-term.  There is a definite learning curve as an NFL head coach.  The key is, does Bowles learn from his mistakes, or keep repeating them, a la Rex?

Folks, this post wasn't solely about the Jets franchise . It's about fans and their over reaction to games and their team's HC on a weekly basis based on what is feed them by the media outlets and their own misgivings  . The Eagles, the Browns, the Colts and the Jags all teams  who's HCs are being readied for the chopping block.

'

I don't think as many people are saying "fire Bowles and Maccagnan" as OP thinks.

Most of us are adults and understand it's year 1.  It's ok to think Bowles screwed up last game and still think he can be ok in the long-term.  There is a definite learning curve as an NFL head coach.  The key is, does Bowles learn from his mistakes, or keep repeating them, a la Rex?

I tend to disagree with this . All HCs do not fall into the same category and should not be judged in a vacuum. HCs like those who call the plays whether offensive or defensive should not be judged the same as HCs who managed the team and allow his coordinators to assemble game plans and call them on game day.  There's a difference between Marvin Lewis and Todd Bowles.

Lewis has the right to fire any his coordinators if the team execute, whereas Boles can't really fire Kacy Rodgers when he Bowles is the one who calls the defensive signals on Sunday.

Me Personally, I prefer the Marvin Lewis type HC who manages the coaches and the team and allow the coordinators to orchestrate their game plans.

Why is it that when a person takes criticism it is automatically associated with getting rid of that person?  Bowles is making bad situational decisions, and there is no denying that.  The multi super bowl winning Tom Coughlin made one of the most brain dead decisions last night, but does that make him a bad coach?  It's accountability.  

Will Bowles learn from his mistakes?  That is the ultimate question.  Actually, the ultimate question is will he lose the teams respect, but I digress.  

The Jets still had an opportunity to win the game, even with all the mistakes from players and coaches, and the decision to not let Ivory run the ball, who had a 5.5 YPC, when we were 3rd and 3 on the Bills 5 and the decision had probably been made to go for it on 4th down was down right stupid.  Giving Kellen Davis the game winning opportunity is down right insane.

JMO.

Here's a question that should be asked in situations like these. Do the 1st time HC have the chance to build his program while losing or does he have to win starting out to be given the chance to build a program that will win and sustain a winning tradition over time.

Which dumb asses want to fire either?

Have to admit, there is a certain amount of stupidity that wallows around this franchise.  

I don't think its just this franchise honestly, I think its NY sports fans. I think you can throw Philly and NE sports fans into that mix too, and really say North East sports franchises.

I very specifically remember in 2007 many, many Giants fans wanting both Coughlin and Eli out, even as late as the Buffalo game the 2nd to last game of the regular season that year.

Not to mention the Colts. First they are handed Peyton Manning, then they go right to Andrew Luck. Pretty good freakin luck. The Jets are NEVER the worst team in the league when a franchise QB is the top pick. Though Bowles has had his share of criticism by me, I have not suggested he be fired. Plus, I think Maccagnan has done a terrific job and just know he will produce another good draft.

Not to mention the Colts. First they are handed Peyton Manning, then they go right to Andrew Luck. Pretty good freakin luck. The Jets are NEVER the worst team in the league when a franchise QB is the top pick. Though Bowles has had his share of criticism by me, I have not suggested he be fired. Plus, I think Maccagnan has done a terrific job and just know he will produce another good draft.

The Jets were in position to get Manning but the big fat Tuna let his ego get in the way. Biggest blunder in franchise history and that's really saying something 

Here's a question that should be asked in situations like these. Do the 1st time HC have the chance to build his program while losing or does he have to win starting out to be given the chance to build a program that will win and sustain a winning tradition over time.

You know as well as I do a first time HC by definition must be given time. And just because you pollinate the line up with better players doesn't mean that they will hell right away or even in one season. 

You can trade for a guy and him not be right or work out.  The key is does the team, the GM and HC have the team pointed in the right direction and in the Jets case the answer I believe has to be a resounding yes.   

I don't think its just this franchise honestly, I think its NY sports fans. I think you can throw Philly and NE sports fans into that mix too, and really say North East sports franchises.

I very specifically remember in 2007 many, many Giants fans wanting both Coughlin and Eli out, even as late as the Buffalo game the 2nd to last game of the regular season that year.

No, theres a problem with this fanbase.  Giants fans wanted Eli out because up until that postseason he was awful.  Coughlin was the usual lets get on a HC who's been anywhere a while.  Difference is Giants fans when Eli and Coughlin won are eternally grateful and will defend them to the end.  Don't get the impression that Jets fans would be the same way.  Hope im wrong.  But the Revis is a turd whatever thread says different

Archived