S Calvin Pryor could return to Jets' injury-plagued secondary

Gas2No99

Calvin Pryor: 'It's a must-win game' for the Jets against Houston

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0726%2Fcalvin%20

Youngmisuk_Ohm_m.jpg&w=65&h=65&scale=cro

Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. –- With T.J. Yates starting his first game at quarterback since 2011 and no Arian Foster to worry about, safety Calvin Pryor knows what this Sunday means for the New York Jets when they face the Houston Texans.

“This is a must-win game,” Pryor said. “We know what we are up against. We have to go out there and get the job done. We had a great week of practice. Preparation is key. It doesn’t matter who is playing for them, at this point it is about what we do.

The Jets (5-4) have lost three of their last four games.

“Each week is a must-win but we know what we are up against," said Pryor. "We are in the playoff hunt and we can’t have any setbacks. This is a crucial game for us.”

And Pryor plans on having a say in helping his team try to get that must-have victory. After missing three straight weeks with an ankle injury, Pryor is set to return to strengthen the back of the Jets’ defense.

“I just want my presence felt,” Pryor said. “Just going out there and being noticed (and Houston) guys be like, ‘OK, we got to watch out for (No.) 25.’ I felt like I was playing good football (before the injury).”

Pryor had 36 combined tackles, one interception and one forced fumble in his first six games before injuring his ankle. He hasn’t played since the Jets lost to the New England Patriots on Oct. 25.

Despite being out for nearly a month, Pryor said he feels like a different player and person this season. Last season, the first-round pick had a difficult time adjusting to the NFL. He said understanding the defense, missed meetings and a lack of maturity were reasons for his rookie struggles.

“Maturity, maturity,” Pryor said when asked the difference between him from last season to this season. “Not being late to meetings. And not doing things the wrong way, you know. I feel like that's the biggest thing.”

Last season, Pryor, who was picked 18th overall out of Louisville, said he repeatedly tried to turn his rookie season around and be more professional.

“I was telling myself that each week, but nothing was changing,” said Pryor, who had 60 tackles in 16 games last season. “And I took that upon myself to make sure I do the right things week in and week out on an everyday basis. Being a rookie in the NFL, (with it) comes a lot, something you are not used to. Experience helps. Going through this helped me be a better man, a better person and a better player on and off the field.”

Pryor was asked if the missed meetings was just due to sleeping in.

“Yeah, basically,” Pryor said. “I am not really trying to focus on last year.”

What finally got Pryor to change was a stern talk late in the season from his father. The safety said his father had seen enough.

“I only looked up to one person my whole life and that is my dad,” Pryor said. “Me and him had a talk and he just told me I have to get my stuff together like he’s always told me. I just took it and ran with it.

“I came back in and I felt I was playing pretty good football at the end of the season,” Pryor added. “And that rolled over into this year before I got hurt.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles didn’t coach Pryor last season, but he has taken note of how Pryor has handled himself this season.

“I can’t tell you the difference between last year because I didn’t coach him, but seeing him firsthand this year, I know there’s a maturity level that I respect about the kid,” Bowles said. “From the spring until now, he knows he’s learned some lessons from last year and I think every rookie does coming into the second year. He’s matured a lot. He’s a hard worker and I do know that about him.”

And Pryor knows that he has to help his team get a crucial win against Yates, who is replacing the injured Brian Hoyer (concussion), and the Texans on Sunday in Houston.

“It is a must-win game for us,” Pryor said. “You can’t go out there slacking or starting off slow. They do have a great defense. Their offense has guys that are pretty good weapons. DeAndre (Hopkins) and other guys like Nate (Washington) can get the job done. So we have to play our A-game.”

Archived