YES!!! To the Draftnicks!!! I did it!!!

David Harris

It happened! You want to be a the fly on the draft room wall, I did it. Tonight I was at the Jets taste event in NYC and I saw Mike Mcagnann. Everybody was talking to the players Mike is non descript and I was probably the only real big fan non corporate Wall Street guy there so I went straight up to him.

And I was feeling it-  I had great balance between liquid courage and confidence, while also being laid-back and cool so I could just talk to these guys like regular people and not stutter or have hero worship like I normally would.

so I said to him I've always asked myself if I had one question to ask you what would it be? And it is - Had you not traded back for Lorenzo Mauldin in the third round who would you have taken?  I said suppose Maulden did not exist and you had all the original available options including Eli Harold and Duke Johnson who would you have taken?  

He gets uncomfortable.  He hesitates he looks at me and he says you never want to play what if's in this business. But we liked duke a lot coming out.

Ahhhhh------ahhhhh--ahhhhhh

i can't explAin how awesome it was to get a tidbit like that from the horses' mouth. The draft guys will love this as much as I do:  how seasons change, lives change, and destinies change on those draft days.

What at an awesome and approachable, and simply considerate man he was to meet btw. 

It happened! You want to be a the fly on the draft room wall, I did it. Tonight I was at the Jets taste event in NYC and I saw Mike Mcagnann. Everybody was talking to the players Mike is non descript and I was probably the only real big fan non corporate Wall Street guy there so I went straight up to him.

And I was feeling it-  I had great balance between liquid courage and confidence, while also being laid-back and cool so I could just talk to these guys like regular people and not stutter or have hero worship like I normally would.

so I said to him I've always asked myself if I had one question to ask you what would it be? And it is - Had you not traded back for Lorenzo Mauldin in the third round who would you have taken?  I said suppose Maulden did not exist and you had all the original available options including Eli Harold and Duke Johnson who would you have taken?  

He gets uncomfortable.  He hesitates he looks at me and he says you never want to play what if's in this business. But we liked duke a lot coming out.

i can't explAin how awesome it was to get a tidbit like that from the horses' mouth. The draft guys will love this as much as I do:  how seasons change, lives change, and destinies change on those draft days.

What at an awesome and approachable, and simply considerate man he was to meet btw. 

Thats a great start off to the week right here. Good stuff. I always loved draft season so it awesome that you were able to even ask such a question and he actually answered you. And the "great balance between liquid courage and confidence" made me laugh. 

Duke is the type of RB/pass catcher we needed behind Ivory. Little more speed that Powell. But, if Lorenzo keeps improving we might have found our own "Steeler" like LB. I know he goes BPA, but next year he can concentrate on offense, Oline, RB, but we do need another Middle LB with Harris near the end.

More importantly, did he say:

"We liked duke a lot coming out"

...or did he say...

"At the end of the day we liked duke a lot coming out" 

I imagine he's looking closely at RBs again this year. He did great work on the roster last year, but RB (particularly the pass-catching, third down variety) remains an obvious hole. 

With Powell, Ridley, and Ivory all unrestricted free agents, I'd suspect we'd be targeting one early in the draft.

Duke is burning it up this year so of course his name would be salient.  Doesn't mean squat 20/20.  Enjoyed the anecdote though :)  

Burning it up? Not exactly. He's seeing very little playing time except for passing downs (which is exactly what the Jets need). He's only averaging 3 yards a carry right now and he should be starting considering how bad the Browns RBs are, but doesn't seem prime to be more than just a 3rd down/garbage time pass catching RB.

I think the big nugget to take away from this is that Mac has an eye for good players and that his list of "who to take" is a good one. His judgement is miles beyond Tannenbaum or Idzik.  Those who felt that they could draft better than our past GMs may not have that same uneasiness with Mac.

Duke is burning it up this year so of course his name would be salient.  Doesn't mean squat 20/20.  Enjoyed the anecdote though :)  

20/20, it would have been fun to draft Gurley this year.  However, I loved the Williams pick, even in hindsight.  

That is pretty cool, next time you have to post on the board before you go up to him.  ;)

You could have asked the same question I did on draft day, what did you see in Devin Smith over a Tyler Lockett or Jamison Crowder?  

Archived