Play clock

JetPotato

It does seem as though the refs are de-emphasizing the play clock and avoiding delay of game penalties. It's unusual that players can throw up a hand sign and get the clock reset and that it's reset seemingly without any discussion from the refs. (The pats aren't the only ones who do this.) It is less unusual when you factor in how the refs helped out BUF with the play clock in our game. There must be an unwritten rule about when this hand signal can be thrown out otherwise we'd see it all the time in all the games.

The Patriots called their first timeout with 2:10 seconds left in the 4Q after the play which resulted in a 1st and goal for the Giants. This led to a commercial break. After the commercial break, the Giants ran the ball into the line on 1st down, and Patriots burned another timeout. Look up at the clock, and it shows 2:10. 

So I went back on my DVR, and noticed that sometime during the commercial break, the clock was adjusted to 2:14 going into that first down play. There was no explanation given inside the stadium by the refs, nor to the TV audience via broadcast. The announcers didn't even mention it. 

Those 4 seconds before the 2 minute warning actually ended up giving the Patriots an additional 35 seconds on the other side of the 2 minute warning. As we all know, those 35 seconds were pretty helpful to them.

So, where did those 4 seconds come from?

Since none of the Pats fans have (or can't) answered my post, I'll quote and paste it for funzies. 

It does seem as though the refs are de-emphasizing the play clock and avoiding delay of game penalties. It's unusual that players can throw up a hand sign and get the clock reset and that it's reset seemingly without any discussion from the refs. (The pats aren't the only ones who do this.) It is less unusual when you factor in how the refs helped out BUF with the play clock in our game. There must be an unwritten rule about when this hand signal can be thrown out otherwise we'd see it all the time in all the games.

That's the thing - there's no clear definition. They've essentially rendered the play clock useless. Why have it? As if offenses need more help in this arena league.

Archived