Jets GM Mike Maccagnan: Success doesn't hinge on making playoffs

Gas2No99

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet here we are at 5-4 and + 33 net points even after a bad loss.  We're playing mostly competitive football, unlike the previous 4 years.  Wonder what the difference is?  Maybe competent leadership?

they spent a hundred damn million in the offseason and brought back Revis. There's your leadership. Better players. 

And even with all that Rex smoked this team with a Buffalo squad that isn't as talented. 

the team never had a quarterback. Still doesn't. 

And Rex was all part of the Qb situation, he had massive power under Tanny.  Less under Idzik and he pouted about it.  Now he is in Buffalo and look who their Qb is as he tramples all over Whalley.  If Rex had even a clue about offense and his QB's he would not have happily run with Sanchez at a time when the team was really ready to win.  Like some on here because a team with a great defense, strong running game and solid oline got close, even with a lousy young Qb he assumed that it was all part of Marks doing.

Notice a theme with this team and Rex?  any success at all and it is because of Rex's superior coaching, any failure is because he never had QB, WR weapons, Corners, take your pick.

I'll go one further and step into the taboo area of those two afc title teams and say both of those teams had pretty goo opportunities to be more than a all on the road wild card teams and actually blew opportunities in the reg season to win the division or get a home playoff game.

If Rex deserves to get big credit for those two afc title games then Shotty deserves an outright medal of honor and we all know what most fans thought of shotty.

Yet here we are at 5-4 and + 33 net points even after a bad loss.  We're playing mostly competitive football, unlike the previous 4 years.  Wonder what the difference is?  Maybe competent leadership?

And despite what many have said Chan has been outstanding by him getting a journeyman QB to get the offense to post the numbers you cite.

they spent a hundred damn million in the offseason and brought back Revis. There's your leadership. Better players. 

And even with all that Rex smoked this team with a Buffalo squad that isn't as talented. 

Smoked?  No.  We had 2nd & 3 at the 8-yard line with a chance to take the lead late in the 4th quarter.  Not as talented?  They were the 4th-ranked defense last year and have Sammy Watkins and Shady on offense.  They already had pieces in place to be a playoff team.  We had to overhaul the roster.  Both teams have new QB's, so you can't even say the Jets had an edge there either.

Was Rex not also the coach during a 4-year, 18-30 stretch in which we were outscored by at least 90 points overall each year?  And we're supposed to "appreciate" what he did?

2 years of being blue-balled followed by 4 years of some of the worst football we've seen since Kotite.  Meaning that for the majority of his tenure, Rex was terrible at his job.  Herm and Mangini never had a stretch that bad.  All were loser coaches.

Both Herm and Mangini had 4-12 years with much better QB's the difference for Edwards was both Vinny and Chad were terrible in 2005. Plus Chad was hurt which didn't help.. The hate for Rex goes beyond what he did as a coach it's his personality that most people hate and continue to do even though he's gone..

Smoked?  No.  We had 2nd & 3 at the 8-yard line with a chance to take the lead late in the 4th quarter.  Not as talented?  They were the 4th-ranked defense last year and have Sammy Watkins and Shady on offense.  They already had pieces in place to be a playoff team.  We had to overhaul the roster.

before mccagnan took over the jets were regarded to have one of the worst overall rosters in the nfl.  even after a good draft and FA the jets were generally predicted to finish last in the division, which they may.  i just don't understand why there's any complaining.  the jets are in basically every game, but they do not have a talent advantage so it's not logical to expect this team to win week after week.  it's nice to have a gm who seems to get it, and to have a team that can actually score tds sometimes.  i think fitz is improving with age, and he can get them to the playoffs if his thumb heals and the defense starts playing better.  

Smoked?  No.  We had 2nd & 3 at the 8-yard line with a chance to take the lead late in the 4th quarter.  Not as talented?  They were the 4th-ranked defense last year and have Sammy Watkins and Shady on offense.  They already had pieces in place to be a playoff team.  We had to overhaul the roster.  Both teams have new QB's, so you can't even say the Jets had an edge there either.

Who has more experience as a NFL QB Fitz or Tyrod who never started a NFL game till this year?? I know it's rough but try to be fair..LOL

Both Herm and Mangini had 4-12 years with much better QB's the difference for Edwards was both Vinny and Chad were terrible in 2005. Plus Chad was hurt which didn't help.. The hate for Rex goes beyond what he did as a coach it's his personality that most people hate and continue to do even though he's gone..

Herm was a clown too.  You have a short-term memory if you don't think his personality had an influence on perception.  Mangini had no personality and was viewed as a d*ck.  When you fail to win, your worst characteristics get exposed.  The only reason we still don't talk about them is they have been out of the HC business for a long time, because they failed at their 2nd stops too.  Rex is coaching a divisional team we face twice a year.

Bottom line:  None of the 3 won.  This is New York, and that's all it comes down to.

Herm was a clown too.  You have a short-term memory if you don't think his personality had an influence on perception.  Mangini had no personality and was viewed as a d*ck.  When you fail to win, your worst characteristics get exposed.  The only reason we still don't talk about them is they have been out of the HC business for a long time, because they failed at their 2nd stops too.  Rex is coaching a divisional team we face twice a year.

Bottom line:  None of the 3 won.  This is New York, and that's all it comes down to.

NY or Philly your a 100% correct fans are brutal..

Cimini addresses the difference of opinion in his article saying that it is common. Coaches live week to week while GMs look at the big picture.

Let's be honest here. Special Teams has cost us 2 games this year. The Philly game and the Buffalo game. Without those gaffes, we more likely are 6-3 or 7-2. People say this team is better than Rex's. Not in special teams. They are worse.

And lets be fair again. Last year's team was essentially a 2 win team. They won 2 games at the end of the year against 2 teams that didn't want to try.

Cimini addresses the difference of opinion in his article saying that it is common. Coaches live week to week while GMs look at the big picture.

Let's be honest here. Special Teams has cost us 2 games this year. The Philly game and the Buffalo game. Without those gaffes, we more likely are 6-3 or 7-2. People say this team is better than Rex's. Not in special teams. They are worse

Last year the Jets had Powell,Harvin,Hakim and Owusu on ST's this year none are still playing for the Jets or are on IR like Owusu..

And Rex was all part of the Qb situation, he had massive power under Tanny.  Less under Idzik and he pouted about it.  Now he is in Buffalo and look who their Qb is as he tramples all over Whalley.  If Rex had even a clue about offense and his QB's he would not have happily run with Sanchez at a time when the team was really ready to win.  Like some on here because a team with a great defense, strong running game and solid oline got close, even with a lousy young Qb he assumed that it was all part of Marks doing.

Notice a theme with this team and Rex?  any success at all and it is because of Rex's superior coaching, any failure is because he never had QB, WR weapons, Corners, take your pick.

I'll go one further and step into the taboo area of those two afc title teams and say both of those teams had pretty goo opportunities to be more than a all on the road wild card teams and actually blew opportunities in the reg season to win the division or get a home playoff game.

If Rex deserves to get big credit for those two afc title games then Shotty deserves an outright medal of honor and we all know what most fans thought of shotty.

image.jpeg

Again, 4-1 start with no playoffs is a colossal tank job. 

We beat the Browns, Colts, Dolphins, and Redskins.  Their September records were 1-3, 2-2, 1-3 and 2-2.

The Jets have not beaten a team with a winning record, and if you take the fluke upset last year away, I believe that stretches back to 2013.

We are a mediocre rebuilding team with a razor-thin roster that had a favorable schedule early on.  It would have been interesting to see us stay healthy and face the likes of Oakland and Buffalo again.  From here, it looks like 8-8 at best.

SAR I

I dunno, I can't tell. I haven't seen much to dictate that he knows what he's doing either way. It's hard to look at this roster and see much to be excited about. This isn't a good enough team to compete for a Super Bowl for the next two years and aside from a very small core of good young defensive players it's hard to say that we're absolutely on the right track. End of the day, this front office has to come up with some sort of coherent plan to find us a quarterback. That's really all that matters, and if they don't start making some serious moves on that end next Spring we'll know what we're dealing with.

Same thing for Bowles really. Up until about the 4th quarter of the New England game it looked like we had finally found a coach, but that has since faded and it's been one cluster**** after another on the field. He really does some stuff that makes you scratch your head sometimes, and the team hasn't looked prepared the past few games. But the sample size is just too small to figure out if he's a dunce or not.

I'm just in meh mode right now. Hopefully it all works out, but there's been enough bad to match the good and with the history of this organization it's hard to be optimistic and trust that yet another administration is going to just figure it all out. Been scorned way too many times at this point. As far as I'm concerned my sports happiness until the Mets report to St. Lucie rests on the shoulders of a 7'3 Latvian giraffe.

great post Rutgers , good stuff , I feel very similar...the roster imo is over rated by some on this board , it's good, way better and much improved but it's an 8-10 win roster not a " top " roster like I've been reading .

We beat the Browns, Colts, Dolphins, and Redskins.  Their September records were 1-3, 2-2, 1-3 and 2-2.

The Jets have not beaten a team with a winning record, and if you take the fluke upset last year away, I believe that stretches back to 2012.

We are a mediocre rebuilding team with a razor-thin roster that had a favorable schedule early on.  It would have been interesting to see us stay healthy and face the likes of Oakland and Buffalo again.  From here, it looks like 8-8 at best.

SAR I

Ok besides the Pitt game the Fins had a winning record 8-7 till we beat them..:) And in in 2013 we beat the Pats that had a winning record..

The Jets have not beaten a team with a winning record, and if you take the fluke upset last year away, I believe that stretches back to 2013.

SAR I

sadly.  jets are beating the bad teams and losing to the better ones.  that's what happens when fitz is your qb, and you're only 1 year removed from a 4-12 season.  

sadly.  jets are beating the bad teams and losing to the better ones.  that's what happens when fitz is your qb, and you're only 1 year removed from a 4-12 season.  

You got it. The key is to build on that 8-8 or so season and work forwards. And because of contract stipulations with people like Cro, he can clear some space and let this roster continue to get younger. It's actually genius, when you think about it, He's trying to balance winning now, to appease a fanbase, and rebuilding, for the long term,, and so far, given that they've won more games than last year, it's working

You got it. The key is to build on that 8-8 or so season and work forwards. And because of contract stipulations with people like Cro, he can clear some space and let this roster continue to get younger. It's actually genius, when you think about it, He's trying to balance winning now, to appease a fanbase, and rebuilding, for the long term,, and so far, given that they've won more games than last year, it's working

at least i finally have faith the gm knows what he's doing, so at least going into FA i expect him to rebuild the oline and pursue offensive skill positions.  

Yeah this would all be much better if we were losing to bad teams and beating good teams, you do get extra points for beating teams over 500 don't you?

Over half of the league is below .500

Of the teams we've played, only the Patritos and Bills are over .500 now. The Bills were not above .500 when we played them.

So, in essence the "we only beat losing teams" narrative ends with: the Patriots are the only team we've lost to that is over .500, and the Patriots have beaten everyone. EVERYONE.

We've lost and won all of our games against sub .500 teams, other than the Patriots.

(facepalm)

No one is saying that winning games is bad. The bottom line is that a lot of Jets fans do what they normally do. The Jets got out to a great start, and they jumped for joy, instead of going week to week.

You really didn't get the sarcasm there, did you?

SAR I

And how many winning records are left on the schedule? How many winning teams have they played?  You dont control who you play.  How many winning teams have the Pats beat?  None of that matters.

What matters is starting 4-1, you should be making the playoffs.  Bottom line.  Anything less is a failure.

Archived