TRADE dept. - ...Sheldon Richardson headed to trading block in offseason ? ? ?

kelly

With 4:51 remaining in Sunday's game, Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson sacked Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and stripped the ball out of his hands. Outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin recovered — an exclamation point on the Jets' 38-20 victory. Richardson, who turned 25 on Sunday, was understandably excited about the play. It looked like he briefly said something to Tannehill after the sack, and might've given him a friendly pat on the butt. A reporter, who might have remembered the moment incorrectly, mentioned this to Richardson after the game, in the context of a question about what he said to Tannehill. Richardson promptly corrected the reporter on two points. 

One, Richardson actually said nothing to Tannehill after this particular play. And two, well, let's just let Richardson explain. "I don't think I patted him on the butt," Richardson said. "I'm not the butt patter. I might've helped him ... I didn't help him up, but I kind of walked off, and celebrated a little bit. Not too much." An assembled group of reporters got a good laugh out of this Richardson line. Anyway, maybe it was Mauldin who did the butt patting?

"Probably was Zo," Richardson said. "It wasn't me. I'm not a butt patter. I'm more of a helmet smacker. Not a butt patter." 

For the sake of accuracy, a video replay shows that neither player gave Tannehill a friendly pat on the butt. So there you have it. The reporter (yours truly) had seemingly confused this with a moment earlier in the game. But the mixup did result in that amusing quote from Richardson. In terms of actual football stuff, the Jets blitzed the Dolphins less often Sunday than in the teams' first meeting, back in Week 4. The reason for that?

"I'm back," Richardson said. "I want to take some credit for that, hopefully." 

Jets-Dolphins in Week 4 was the last week of Richardson's four-game marijuana suspension. The Jets' defense is certainly different with him on the field, even though there aren't any celebratory butt pats going around. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/jets_sheldon_richardson_im_not_a_butt_patter.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because you pointed out he hasn't been convicted yet, lol

it was more than speeding, it has been pointed out many times in this thread.  I couldn't care less if he goes to jail, only if he gets suspended and can't kill QB's for us.  considering the current atmosphere in the NFL, a suspension seems very likely.  it may go through a lot of prcedure and nonsense to become finalized and it may be 1 game or 8 or a compromise, but dummy screwed up good

I think the team should also punish him for not notifying them, but bowles needs him too much and I think they will let the court and NFL punish him

It wasnt more than speeding. The  car smelled like weed but no weed, whatsoever was found in the car... so no charge for that. He had a handgun in the car...and a concealed weapons permit in his wallet...so no charge there either... and despite the  presence of a minor in the car, the DA in St Louis, in an area where over charging black defendants  is not just a way of life but also a revenue stream for dozens of  small communities, the DA ran from this charge like his hair was on fire... and honestly we don't know who was driving; it would not surprise me if Richardson were not driving but took one for his family member

It wasnt more than speeding. The  car smelled like weed but no weed, whatsoever was found in the car... so no charge for that. He had a handgun in the car...and a concealed weapons permit in his wallet...so no charge there either... and despite the  presence of a minor in the car, the DA in St Louis, in an area where over charging black defendants  is not just a way of life but also a revenue stream for dozens of  small communities, the DA ran from this charge like his hair was on fire... and honestly we don't know who was driving; it would not surprise me if Richardson were not driving but took one for his family member

you left out evading police.  that's why this isn't a speeding ticket.  yes we do know who was driving, lol

I seem to remember earlier in the year that some other player had a similar encounter and the NFL ruled that there would be no suspension.  If that is the case, even if they suspend Richardson, it won't be for long and can likely get appealed.  This is minor (in comparison to assault, domestic violence, etc.).  But, with Goodel, who knows.

He just sounds like a moron too. It's tough to back him when all he is eventually going to think about is how much money he can make. 

I respect Mo way more. He had a contract thing but really never heard him bitch about it once. Much more respectable human being in my opinion. 

But none of this will matter when it comes time. 

different rules.  Different times.  The emphasis on behavior and the shield are completely different today. Closet Pats fan?  Will you come up with a pointless analogy, players from the 60s that makes that goofy comment close to relevant?  Who cares if mistakes were made in the past?  Did you hear, Al Davis signs bad guys too. But hey, stick up for Rex etc.  

News flash that would be real news if Al Davis was signing anyone these days. I hate to break it to you, but Al Davis been dead for 3 plus years. # Alzheimer's sucks.

This falls under the leagues personal conduct scenario.

The NFL can suspend him based on his poor conduct and it doesn't matter if he just got a speeding ticket.

They can do whatever they want regarding a suspension.

Exactly.

As long as a player isn't caught cheating, they can be suspended at the will of Goodell.

They absolutely should trade him.  He is much closer to Josh Gordon than Shaun Ellis.

Trading Richardson now is the epitome of buying high and selling low.  I'll take a 4 game suspension, the caliber player Richardson is, and the hope that he learned something over a draft pick that likely won't even be a very high one.

Trading Richardson now is the epitome of buying high and selling low.  I'll take a 4 game suspension, the caliber player Richardson is, and the hope that he learned something over a draft pick that likely won't even be a very high one.

And how much will he be worth when he inevitably effs up again?   This is as high as his value will be which is the right time to sell.  

The chances of Sheldon Richardson every being able to stop smoking pot isn't that great.( you think with 10 game suspension hanging over his head he wise up- you're talking about a professional athlete whose been coddled his whole life.   History shows that sooner or later he will get caught again.

Hey the Raiders have the poster boy for this(Aldon Smith) who some Raider fans believe will be  back the last seven games of the 2016 season.    Delusional as a leopard doesn't change his spots- only matter of time he gets popped for doing something else.( especially away from the team,  and any semblance of order in his life )

What I agree with you about is the jets aren't going to get anything worth it to them - trading him.      Probably stuck with the hope he grows up.  Can't feel sorry for the Jets , as they knew before the draft his red flags. They elected to ignore those flags , and roll the dice. (might get burned in the process.)

And how much will he be worth when he inevitably effs up again?   This is as high as his value will be which is the right time to sell.  

What exactly do you think the Jets are going to be able to get for him in a trade.( see Josh Gordon - a lot of talk of moving him, but in the end couldn't make a deal satisfactory to them)

The Jets are probably stuck keeping him.   Jmo I think you  can't count on Sheldon Richardson, and have to plan on , if he wasn't on the roster. ( Build around Mo Wilkerson, and Leonard Williams)     By some miracle he is able to stay clean, than it's all gravy .

News flash that would be real news if Al Davis was signing anyone these days. I hate to break it to you, but Al Davis been dead for 3 plus years. # Alzheimer's sucks.

really Al is dead?  I didn't know that.  talk about over your head

And you know he will eff up again how?  

Because if you're wrong your whole theory goes out the window

really Al is dead?  I didn't know that.  talk about over your head

Well there are a lot of things beyond your grasp/ understanding.   Life sucks when we get old.    I'm here for you buddy.

Now if you said even Al Davis use to sign bad guys too. The way you phrased it - he was still signing guys.    Capiche .

The chances of Sheldon Richardson every being able to stop smoking pot isn't that great.( you think with 10 game suspension hanging over his head he wise up- you're talking about a professional athlete whose been coddled his whole life.   History shows that sooner or later he will get caught again.

Hey the Raiders have the poster boy for this(Aldon Smith) who some Raider fans believe will be  back the last seven games of the 2016 season.    Delusional as a leopard doesn't change his spots- only matter of time he gets popped for doing something else.( especially away from the team,  and any semblance of order in his life )

What I agree with you about is the jets aren't going to get anything worth it to them - trading him.      Probably stuck with the hope he grows up.  Can't feel sorry for the Jets , as they knew before the draft his red flags. They elected to ignore those flags , and roll the dice. (might get burned in the process.)

He may, he may not.  Plenty of guys get suspended and then don't screw up, Brandon Marshall for instance.  Joe Haden, Von Miller, Bruce Irvin... We just remember the Aldon Smiths and Josh Gordons.  This is not to say he will be better, just that you can't make that kind of generalization.

Regardless, he's on the field right now, and he will not be suspended indefinitely for this current transgression.  His value to the Jets as a player is far greater than his value as a bargaining chip.  Add that to the Jets stellar draft history, and the pick he brings may be worth about nothing.

I'd also say you're probably 100% wrong about Richardson being coddled his entire life.  Maybe in the last couple of years, but I very much doubt growing up as a young black kid in St. Louis, MO qualifies as coddled.

History - you either learn from it, or repeat the same mistakes.    Sheldon Richardson didn't fail one drug test to be suspended four games- he had to fail multiple test to get to that point.  HiStory shows us there is a good chance he's going to screw up again- not going to be able to stop smoking pot.  Why he's an addict.  Maybe he can Get a doctors note he needs pot for his glaucoma.

An athlete that been coddled his whole life doesn't deal in reality.( one more screw up , and he suspended ten games)

Because he is the kind of person who smoked pot multiple times knowing he would be tested and the consequences.  Then apologized to team and fans declaring it would never happen again. Then did something far worse just 12 days later.

Comprende?

He may, he may not.  Plenty of guys get suspended and then don't screw up, Brandon Marshall for instance.  Joe Haden, Von Miller, Bruce Irvin... We just remember the Aldon Smiths and Josh Gordons.  This is not to say he will be better, just that you can't make that kind of generalization.

Regardless, he's on the field right now, and he will not be suspended indefinitely for this current transgression.  His value to the Jets as a player is far greater than his value as a bargaining chip.  Add that to the Jets stellar draft history, and the pick he brings may be worth about nothing.

I'd also say you're probably 100% wrong about Richardson being coddled his entire life.  Maybe in the last couple of years, but I very much doubt growing up as a young black kid in St. Louis, MO qualifies as coddled.

Bs I don't care if he was the color purple - he was a star athlete , and was coddled. People made excuses for his mistakes his whole life.   Look at how many college girls were raped by NFL players( black and white) and the university looked the other way- college football big business .    Here rape victim we will pay for your college- big freaking deal.

These professional players think someone always going to be able to fix their mistakes- they never grow up .   Why there is a good chAnce Richardson isn't going to be able to stop- because life  doesn't work that way, and some things can't be fixed.

Marshall is not an accurate comparison. He was undiagnosed with a severe mental illness.  Sheldon seems like a selfish A hole.

Bs I don't care if he was the color purple - he was a star athlete , and was coddled. People made excuses for his mistakes.   Look at how many college girls were raped by NFL players( back and white) and the university looked the other way- college football big business .    Here rape victim we will pay for your college- big freaking deal.

You are legitimately just making stuff up.  I'm not engaging in this anymore.

Marshall is not an accurate comparison. He was undiagnosed with a severe mental illness.  Sheldon seems like a selfish A hole.

Marshall, while trumpeted as the poster boy for borderline personality disorder, is far from it.  It's great that he got treatment and has improved his life and even raised some awareness.  It's really bad that people now think of Brandon Marshall and "severe mental illness."

Well there are a lot of things beyond your grasp/ understanding.   Life sucks when we get old.    I'm here for you buddy.

Now if you said even Al Davis use to sign bad guys too. The way you phrased it - he was still signing guys.    Capiche .

Please stop, you're going to sound like a moron if you think youre going to argue that I don't know Al Davis is dead.  Really, just stop

Because he is the kind of person who smoked pot multiple times knowing he would be tested and the consequences.  Then apologized to team and fans declaring it would never happen again. Then did something far worse just 12 days later.

Comprende?

I comprehend that he did what he did until he was suspended.  It was stupid, i get it.  He was caught and paid the consequence for this later.  Point is we need more than vehicular tickets to prove that he'll get suspended for getting high again.  What he did wasnt worse than using a banned substance

You are legitimately just making stuff up.  I'm not engaging in this anymore.

Well the truth hurts, and time for you to face reality.  You can put your head in the sand and live in your own fantasy world, but that isn't reality.    ( Peyton Manning, Big Ben, M Sanchez, J Winston etc- their victims say you don't know what your talking about.

I didn't read thru all 5 pages of this thread but I'd like to say:  

Sheldon is one of the most dynamic players on our team.  Most recently he's been playing DT, DE, and OLB and doing well at each position.  If he's traded I'd be in total shock.

Please stop, you're going to sound like a moron if you think youre going to argue that I don't know Al Davis is dead.  Really, just stop

You never can admit you were wrong.   Just say I wasn't clear in my wording, and move on.   Your post made like Al Davis was still signing people( true or false).

Archived